Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"If that's what you think is best," Dolan says, modifying the rune slightly. "I'll let Dirksen know you're coming with a proposition." Not a proposal. As humourless as the dwarf was, he truly did not want to let that bombshell go too early.

Channelling, Dolan concentrates on only sending a message to Dirksen rather than trying to grant two-way communication. No need for a reply from his end. Dirksen, Dolan. We have made contact. A pair of ours are coming back with a proposition from the freehold.

"I'll contact one of you later today. We can organize everything from there."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Naantali grins and shakes her head. "Stars no- if we built temples, or had priests, or did anything formal, who knows what would happen? They might even start listening." The sphinx shudders in mock horror. "As for many... it was a fringe element back before the world was torn in two; some of us preserved it on the other side, and some of my people follow it now." She shrugs again. "It needs no common touch to be a workable faith." Shaking her head, she suddenly takes on a decidedly cooler, more formal tone; "However, I must tell you, that you may not use telepathy to contact me or any of my people without their express permission. That is not negotiable." After a slight awkward pause, she adds, "We have spent long enough with our minds as communal villages and crossroads. They are now our own- and they will remain so."

Into that silence, Dolan tries to contact the guard captain, and similarly... fails.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"It seems Dirksen is wise to my tricks as well," Dolan says. "I wasn't able to send a message to him. I don't think it matters that much, they hardly need to roll out the red carpet for your return." He nods to Naantali. "Understood. To be honest I should probably abuse this ability far less than I am."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Well, that's fair. If I can even learn whatever Dolan does, I'll remember that. I'd love to hear more about the stars, once business is settled." Lette wonders if Naantali knows the sky by the same constellations she'd learned. It'd wait, though, as good things so often do. "Thanks for everything, Naantali. It's been a pleasure. Next time, I'd like to return the hospitality." With something other than awkward phrase choices, ideally. Lette wondered if sphinxes like noodles.

"That's true," she replies to Dolan. "Not like we don't know the way. I just hope the clerks are less stubborn than they were yesterday; don't think I'm feeling inclined to wait around, this time."

Pulling some jerky and bread from Fenton's pack, Lette buries the former in the latter and chows down. With a nod to Martin, she points at the makeshift meal as though he might conceivably have trouble seeing the lopsided lump for himself. "Ah c'n... I can finish this on the way out of the forest." Not as though they could ride hard until they hit open ground, anyway.

"Good to go when you are."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin de Mignolet

He regards Dolan quizzically; hadn't they been able to contact the Captain before? Was there something strange going on? Aside from the strangeness that was already going on, he thought, correcting himself. Well, it didn't matter; they could be back to the city of Noah sooner rather than later and find out what was happening, and relay their message the old-fashioned way.

Looking at Lette, Martin nods. "Good. I'm ready. Let's go - no sense in wasting time," he says, before turning to head out, saddle up and leave.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

He was starting to get a very bad feeling about this, the lack of instant communication meant that if the forest dwellers were not friendly they would have been stranded in the maze like forest and surrounded by overwhelming numbers. Alec waved to Lette and Martin as they mounted up. "Have a fast and safe journey. Should Dolan contact you at sunset?"

While the question lingers Alec looks at everyone else and wonders what on earth they were going to do to pass the time.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"If it's possible, sure. I mean, unless you can shield an entire city from telepathy."

She turned slowly to Dolan. "...Can you?"

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"Sure, but it would be easier to leave it a smoking crater."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Wide-eyed, Lette just stares.

Finally, she ventures: "...Overnight?" Though no expert, the idea strikes her as profoundly unlikely.

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 16, 2012

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf inclines her head slightly. "I am glad to have met you Naantali. I hope next time we meet, it will be to plan your wedding. Perhaps if you send a harpy, or another messenger to Noah, we can communicate that way. We'd need passwords, but it'd do. If you need to discuss anything else, don't hesitate to summon us while we are here. " As she rises, Isit 'accidentally' leaves a yellow and blue ribbon on her chair. With a wave, she exits and headsto see Lette and Martin off. "I'll take my bow back, I'll be needing it if I'm going to be stuck with the boys. One of them will find trouble, mark my words. You two please be careful. Can't afford to lose either of you, got it? And running is no shame if you find something nasty."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"It's on your horse. Figured I'd save you having to ask." That was part of the reason, at least. "Not that you'll need it, with all the rest you'll be getting." The final part had a pointed, expectant quality that very nearly made it a question. If Lette wore spectacles, she might have been looking over them at the ill elf.

"Run from things, check." She grinned. "Anything you want from the market while we're there? Also, didn't you say there was an antidote somewhere? Maybe we can nab it on the way."

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 16, 2012

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"As Lady Isit says;" he begins, bowing again to Naantali and Gela with his hands together. "If there is anything you would like to ask of us, or need at all, then we shall be happy to come at once while we wait here in your wonderful home. Thank you again for the hospitality you have shown us. I shall enjoy every minute of my time here with your people. I do so much prefer the tranquil forests to the busy city." With a smile and nod to the ladies, the faun follows after the others to bid farewell to Martin and Lette.

"Be safe you two." He walks Eclipse over to Lette and quickly swaps over the special stirrups he was given with ones that would better suit the girl before he offers the girl a leg up onto the horse. "I hope that you will both have a blessedly uneventful journey back and hopefully we can reunite with you before the day is done." He smiles up at the two of them "Now I shall just have to find something to do while Dolan waits to contact you both. Perhaps I shall give those children the story I promised and fill this place with a little music."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Naantali inclines her head. "A pleasure to meet you three. Those who stay will be under my protection until you return; I will expect your reply presently. You should be able to return to the city and back by tomorrow- perhaps sunset today, but only if you pushed your horses and didn't dawdle in Noah. I am in no rush." She nods, dismissing them, and Gela steps in. "Alright, the injured and Lo'el, you'll stay at my village again. Come on, mind the walk-" Behind them, Naantali peers at the ribbon, but holds herself respectably together until the 'ambassadors' are out of sight.

The party soon splits up, half heading on horseback out of the forest and half remaining behind in the monsters' village; those who stay are put up in Gela's hut again, the furry toddlers eagerly greeting them and climbing onto laps for attention- but aside from that, Gela quickly absents herself to do her own work around the village, leaving the four adventurers to their own devices. Martin and a surprisingly steady Lette ride out, finally getting their horses up to a good gallop without the need to babysit those without any riding training or inclination. As a result, they make good time and get back to Noah by midafternoon without any further attacks on their person. The horses know the way to the stables quite well, and are soon being brushed and cared for by the guards' attentive stable boys- Captain Dirksen meets them right outside. "A scout just reported back in. The barbarian queen's broken camp. He says they've split up into two chunks, one twice as big as the other- the big one's going north, the second one appears to be fanning out to try to control both roads north of Noah, a few miles past the crossroads. Lord Roland's waiting." And with that, he hustles them through the flock of worried clerks up to Lord Roland's door, where a somewhat loud (if unintelligibly muffled) argument is going on inside his office.

Those who remained are largely in downtime- you can do about what you like in the monster village without leaving the village proper. NPCs are available for chat if you like, or you can train, or sing, or however!

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Weary and stiff from the all-day dash along the road, Martin seems at first unsure how to process what Dirksen has just told him and Lette. "Broken camp? Heading north? I am afraid I don't quite understand." Shocked and puzzled, he looks over at Lette, blinking rapidly. "A lot for us to miss in a day, eh? Well, maybe we can bring them more good news at least."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Relaxing onto one of the stools in Gela's cabin, the faun bats his tail around for the gnollings to chase and play with for a while as he absentmindedly plays his flute to help take his mind from his worries over Martin and Lette. As Gela leaves for her tasks around the village, he gives a slightly worried glance down to the children they have been left with.
"I suppose looking after the little ones is the least we can do." he says, placing down the flute and giving a playful growl to one of the gnollings as it displays an impressive -and incredibly terrifying- set of pointed teeth to him. "Does anyone see a mirror- Ahh here we go." He fetches down a small handheld mirror from one of the walls and places it down on a table to allow him to see his rather ragged and uneven hair. "Incredible things, mirrors. I must say how shocked I was when I first discovered them." He laughs and takes his knife to his hair, attempting to give himself a better cut now that he can actually see what he is doing. "Almost jumped for joy that I had found another faun before I realized that is was in fact myself. The people around me at the time had a good laugh at it."

He keeps his head fixed on the mirror, but lets his eyes look over to Alec and Isit. "How do you two feel? I can fetch the doctor, if you wish, after I am done getting myself looking half-way respectable again."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

Alec sat down and watched the faun play about with the mirror Alec slumped down against the wall. "Ahh yes mirrors, We had pools like them, quite highly prized of course now they are all frozen most likely." He nods to the faun and gives him a weary smile. "How does it feel to go out and have no real purpose here? I came here for but one reason alone." He smiles as he watches the faun cutting his hair, the story was amusing but the fatigue was getting to him.

"I think that both of us need to be healed more, Isit first and more so. Also make sure it will go away."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

After hacking off another long strand, he turns his head as he continues to look into the mirror finding a better angle and checking over his work. "It is rather...freeing. Dangerous and with a heavy amount of uncertainty, of course, but liberating nonetheless. However, I do have a purpose now, the same as you all; to stop this madness somehow and bring some sense of peace and quiet to this land."

Stopping in his task for now, the faun turns to look at Alec slumping against the wall. "You do appear rather tired, the both of you. Perhaps Dolan can help with his magic, if he is able to. I'll go and see if the doctor is around to help you." Returning the knife under his cloak, he darts outside the cabin and searches around for the female satyr, the fear he would have once felt at actively searching for her is all but gone now and he would stop to be rightfully surprised at this realization if he isn't in such a hurry.

He perks his ears up to try and catch the familiar low rumble of her voice as he starts moving around the village stopping people as they pass him with the repeated question; "Where can I find the doctor?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

His head hung down to his chest, and he felt exhausted but not tired. His body was slowly draining of its energy. Alec forced a ration into his mouth as he stared at the dirt in front of him. It was getting hard to concentrate on his food or even his surroundings. Honestly, Alec was not hungry but he felt required too. He washed down the hard biscuit and salted meat with his waterskin almost completely depleting it in the attempt.

The rations were nothing new to Alec, after all he had been traveling for a year. He thought over the sights of his journey to this prosperous and fruitful land. The graceful mountains and dense foreboding forests. The quiet undiscovered lakes and valleys, Alec had hunted and hid in against the monsters and dågons. What had happened? How did he end up in the middle of this forest, sitting among those who would have been scorned and even attacked had they come upon his own town's doors?

He turned his attentions to his first time reaching this land, though he had not known it then. He tried to make the trade symbols to the ragged and bloodied villagers and they had simply yelled at him in an odd and at that time unknown tongue. They had thrown stones at first then approached with hate in their eyes, and Alec had responded in kind. His spear and sword were unmatched to the unarmored and untrained survivors. He had entered their town and found it ransacked, bodies upon the ground and the buildings burned. It was in that moment that he had known regret. Alec gave them all he could, a decent funeral pyre.

As the fire had consumed the staring and cold eyes, Alec had wondered what a people would let their homes be burned and shattered. They did not lie on the ground with weapons or even appeared to struggle for their lives at all. It had been among the burned and ransacked homes that Alec had found something more important than anything he could found to that day. It looked to be a building full of books and pages, as if it was a Lore-Master's lair. What caught his eye had been the book that had the ritzen "Cheruscisten town" on it. It was from that burning funeral pyre that Alec learned how to read this odd tongue.

After the fire had died, Alec put a buck skin in front of the door of the Lore-master's home to pay him, whether living or dead for this great treasure. Using the book, he was able to at least communicate with others, and thorough much difficulty he was able to learn the language. The villagers enjoyed his pelts and he enjoyed the chance to discover where in this large place he could find the answer to his quest. The villagers were not much help at all, many seemed to hesitate or just tell him to walk east, then west, then south. He was frustrated by their lack of help and none of them seemed to have a Lore-Master to even get more books. His own tome beyond the extensive passages on the language and culture of his own people only contained tales of creatures knew so well.

What use did Alec need to know of how to kill an Ice Troll? A young child would know it! He almost laughed till he cried when he saw the suggestion to use fire. As if the Troll could not just extinguish it with its hand. This passage on Man-things seemed to think they were beasts. He had not found as humorous at all. They were men corrupted by eating man flesh. The Jötunn would force men to eat the flesh of their fellows, though Alec knew not how, they turned into craving beasts. Entire tribes had disappeared to the madness. They grew sharp teeth, and used only bone and skin for their clothing. One who had seem them and smell the carnage from them would not treat them so lightly.

It was actually another pack of refugees that had tipped Alec off toward a place were sanity reigned. He knew he had to go there and undo all of this before the horde of Dågon ruin the north and finally overcome the brave people on the walls of Cheruscisten. Yet, here he had found Dågon and monsters that wanted the same as him, a place to live and to live free and equal. He supposed that in his heart the Queens camp had been the turning point of something that had linger on the edge of perception since he arrived. Elves, Gnolls and even satyrs were trying to live their life and live it with what honor they had. He saw his treatment mimicked in theirs. He certainly was not horrible nor a monster, and so maybe neither were they.

He had arrived and perhaps there was no way to undo what had been done, but at the least he could unite them before the real threat came. Only a fool and child would underestimate the might of the forces against them all. He thought back to his dream and remembered that even the spirit wolf that wandered out there stalking him, was nothing compared to the cold hunger possessed by the true enemy in Alec's mind. Maybe he would find a true weapon against them and return, or mayhap they will find a way to banish them to the north again and sleep for eternity.

In the end Alec did not know and as he finished his ration, he looked at the people scurry to and forth in front of him. No dågon or monster among their numbers.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 16, 2012

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"I'm not sure what they're after further north. Chasing that dragon? Or... maybe shoring up their numbers?" After some thought, she shrugs. "Then again, could be that the queen's decided to divert their course to bide time. It'd mean another opportunity for things to take a different course. Else I figure she'd have to commit to charging the city."

Leaning in, Lette tries to hear more distinctly what is being said on the other side of the door.

Per 14. Will get as close as is polite — e.g., not very, if Dirksen is nearby. If we're unattended, practically putting an ear to the door.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The trip back goes by in a weary blur. Isit nods absent mindedly at Lo'el as he speaks. "Yeah, a dictir, sure. Thanks. Your hair looks better short by the way." It was a mark in his favor that he went to fetch the healer under his own volition, perhaps it meant he was serious about his change in attitude towards satyrs. She hoped that was the case, but time would tell. Same as with that drat queen. She can't help but think unkindly of the woman who seemed to have single-handedly complicated everyone's life. Perhaps the doppelgänger would kill her. Elim seemed competent enough.

Somehow she finds herself sitting on a rather comfortable chair, with about a half dozen children around her. The other kids must have spilled the news about ribbons. Handing them out, she tells them about a few battles she had been in. She wasn't at her best, but they didn't seem to hold that against her as long as the stories were gory. Once she runs out of the ones that are relatively appropriate for children, she attempts to explain to a few about bounty hunting. After a bit, the children are shooed away, and she rests as best she can.

In this state her attention drifts, and she goes back to the 'magic' lessons from Donell. Muttering under her breath, she tries half forgotten incantations as she stares at her bow. It might be the delirium, but Isit felt she was onto something.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

After a good few minutes of searching the village for the doctor and asking every passing person he can find, the faun sighs in mild frustration when he cannot find her. Gela had mentioned that she lived a while away, perhaps asking a guard would yield better luck. Trotting over to the village edge, he tracks down a guard watching the forest path and gives them a warm smile. "Hello there. My companions are still very sick and I was wondering if you could deliver a message to the doctor to come and take a look at them. Even if she is unable to help, I think that her presence alone may be of some comfort to them, being a doctor and all. We are staying in Miss Gela's cabin."

With a polite bow to the guard, he turns around and walks at a quick pace back through the village to the cabin. Shortly stepping back inside, he clears up his cut hair that still lies on the floor before kneeling down next to Alec and Isit.

"I left a message with one of the guards, she may be here soon." He pours out two cups of water and hands them over to the two of them, helping them drink if they are unable to do so themselves. "Without something to counteract the poison, I fear there is little I can do to help you feel any better. The doctor may only have similar luck if she was unable to heal you last night. Magical healing might do the trick. Lady Isit, you mentioned the fairies giving us an antidote? It seems to be one of our only chances, so how do we acquire it?"

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan takes a break from writing in his logbook to turn further back towards the beginning. There was, of course, magic to remove poisons from a body, but one look at the runes nearly makes his eyes cross. Healing had never particularly been one of his strong points, and that particular spell relied on a number of principles that he had only ever heard of, and a few he hadn't. Trying to draw the memories from the book and staff again so soon would probably break his brain. No, curing them that way was out of the question.

He could, of course, relieve their fatigue somewhat, but knowing so little about the poison he didn't want to risk that; for all he knew that would just make them sicker faster. He would have to ask the doctor when she arrived. In the meantime he scratches a rune into the floor -- barely more than a line was needed now -- to try and relieve some of the bruising and cuts on Isit and Alec. They would still need time to recover, but at least Isit wouldn't be on the brink of falling over and reopening a wound if one of those gnoll cubs got too excited. "Yes, if we could find that antidote we could all sleep a little more easily."

4 FP for 3 HP back to Isit and Alec

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Dirksen indeed being nearby, Lette can't get particularly close to the door to snoop on her employer's arguments. The mystery is partly solved within a few minutes, as the door flies open and a very unhappy looking gray-bearded priest storms out clad in pale blue robes and with Tulun's sigil around his neck- he seems about ready to start braining people with his staff, and his mood isn't improved when he sees Lette. He sniffs the air once or twice, then favors the girl with a grand sneer before turning on his heel and stalking away. "Alright, you lot, come on in." Lord Roland's voice sounds even more tired and harried- the guard captain shepherds them both in and closes the door after himself. "Sit, sit," he waves to the chair, dark circles under his eyes. "I got roused from my bed before the crack of dawn because it seems that Plyussa set Tulun's temple on fire. After lightning struck Plyussa's high priestess- out of a clear blue sky- I figured I had better jump in before anyone else got badly hurt. Right now, half the damned city watch is down on Temple Row letting everyone know exactly how little enthusiasm with which I greet divine feuding in my city."

He reclines slightly in his seat, steepling his fingers. "Now. Will the monsters give us their army?"

---

The satyr doctor is nowhere to be found- and, as a guard tersely informs Lo'el, she's sleeping. After all, she had spent the entire night awake standing watch over the ill; now she had to see to her own sleep or she'd be useless the next night. The gnoll toddlers begin cheerfully playing with Isit's ribbons, thoroughly distracted by the lengths of simple, brightly colored cloth; Dolan has to step smartly between castings to avoid having a playful tussle between two sisters crash into his armored leg. The magic, though, does heal both of the wounded; the poison and exhaustion is still there, but their physical wounds still respond readily enough to Dolan's healing. That, at least, the poison didn't take from them. Either encouragingly or worryingly, there's no more trace of the dark stain on the blood vessels near where both were cut. No way to be sure if that was healing or the poison merely soaking in, though.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf looks up and shrugs. "Easy to say when you're not the one that has to chance it by taking the drat thing. But I might take it anyways if I get no sleep tonight. Won't help poor Alec though. She seemed to not have a good deal of...uh...liking for him. Got the impression it was just for me." There was a time and a place to add insult to injury, but the north-man didn't need that right about now. He had already learned about eating and drinking fairy food. Blinking away a bit of the exhaustion, she leans forward. "She said it's in the clearing were we fought with her daughters. Along with a few other things perhaps. Now this might be a thing I must be there in person, in order to receive.

HP 6/12 FP 0/13

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"So it is is not far then..." He stands there, tapping his chin in thought for a moment, wondering if he could risk -or even be allowed by the others- to fetch it himself. The antidote is certainly urgent, but it would not be long at all before they needed to pass by there on their return to the city. After all, if Isit had not mentioned it's location until now, then she must not be in too dire a need for it. Hopefully Alec feels the same way.
"I would like to go and fetch it now, but it is too risky and we shall be heading past there in a matter of hours, with any luck. If you two feel well enough to wait, then I would simply suggest to stay in here and rest as much as possible until it is time to leave. Despite the circumstances, a chance to simply sit and rest may not be something we will be blessed with again for some time."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Roland's words echo what was said in the dream; the gods were beginning to war. War everywhere. Martin had not doubted that it was true, but to hear the evidence of it in the "real" world was something else altogether, and not an encouraging thing in the least. It was unlikely he and his friends could solve that particular problem, though. One thing at a time: there was a more earth-bound war to prevent first.

He offers a quick bow, and his usual "your Lordship," before folding his hands behind his back. "They do seem interested in an agreement, it seems. Their leader is named Naantali - she takes no title - and her people look up to her greatly. While she and they do not fear the Queen and her army, they do not seem to want to join with her - Naantali at least sees the Queen as a conqueror." He considers that the Mayor likely just wants to know about the deal itself, but Martin cannot help but tell as much of the story as possible. Perhaps part of that was simply because of that one little component of the deal that was offered.

As he gets to the next part, his hands and arms move, with him folding one across his chest to prop up the other at the elbow as he strokes his chin. "It seems Naantali is interested in more than simply banding together for defense. To be clear, it seems they want to join with Noah in general - citizenship, land, and positions of authority for her people. She said she wanted to make sure that her people could see Noah as if it was their home if they had to fight for it. The logistics may not be easy, but given the situation it seems to be necessary." Martin pauses for a moment, looking down at the floor for a second or two. "Also, there is one other condition," he adds, looking over at Lette with a nod, the barest hint of a smirk forming at one corner of his mouth, indicating that she should provide the last piece of information pertaining to the deal.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Well by tomorrow we'll either be on the road to recovery, incapable of travel, dead, or insane." Pausing, she stares at Lo'el. "The poison makes it feel like you are alone in your head for months, at least it did for me. I did not want to think of it, but if this continues for longer......" She shrugs. It was worse than being captured and put to the question, but not quite as painful physically. "I worry for Alec more."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

With a slight twitch of embarrassment, he shifts from one hoof to another as gnollings keep making grabs for his tail. "Well...perhaps 'rest' was the wrong word to use. I apologize. I do feel awfully useless just sitting here with you both in this condition. If we don't get a reply from Noah by sundown, then I can go find this antidote myself. Maybe with some of guards here, if they are willing enough. If the faeries are waiting there to deliver it personally to you, then I am sure they will understand if you cannot make it yourself, given your condition. Still, all depends on how quickly Martin and Lette can have Roland agree to Naantali's terms."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

His pale blue eyes glazed as he thought over all that had happened, Alec accepted the cup of water without comment. He was too busy lost in his meandering thoughts to properly see the water or hear the conversation. He instinctively drinks from his cup and watches the other's mouth move nodding as if he was paying any attention to the conversation. Not even the promise of antidote meant much to him at that moment, as his mind had wandered to what Honor meant to him. His mind worked over it in his head, it had worked fine in his home. Try going to another village and attempt to not do as he had done and he would have been put to death.

A small gnoll pup ran into him and tumbled over Alec breaking his train of thought. He turned his head toward the pup his eyes seemed to frighten the creature, and it scampered off before Alec could say anything. Perhaps he was the monster among Men, at times it seemed as he was indeed the one that should have been trapped on the Other side whatever that really meant. He turned his hands over and stared at his palms flexing them in the sunlight filtering from the dense leafy roof above.

It was with that thought that he turned his attention to Lo'el and his thoughts on trying to retrieve the antidote. "You should not go alone, you should take someone at the very least with you if you are to go. I know that I for the very least am in no way able to fight."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He picks up the mirror from the table again, turning his head as he stares into it to admire his new haircut. He had not had it this short since he was a faunling and when his mother had cut it for him. But this wasn't a return to his old self. No, this is hopefully the start of the faun he has always wanted to be.

"It is merely an idea." he says, looking to Alec. "If all goes as planned, Dolan here can talk to Martin or Lette soon and the mayor will have a reply for Naantali. Then we can all head back to Noah and fetch this antidote on our way. If we still find ourselves here at sundown, well... we can discuss our plans then regarding the antidote." He takes a drink of water himself and then smiles brightly at his friends, hoping that he can lift their spirits if he keeps up a chipper attitude himself.
"Still, no need to be so glum and forlorn. It is not as if you are dead or anywhere close to it as you are now. We shall fetch this antidote before the day is through and you'll both be back to normal, sure as sunshine. Now, perhaps we should sit outside and enjoy this fine day as we wait? I think I may take this time to do some more training and I'd be welcome for any teaching you could provide, maybe it'll take your minds off things? I'm sure the village here could do with a song and some stories too." He moves then to the door, with a smile still etched onto his face. "Would you like a hand in moving?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

"A fine idea, I could help you with your spear technique a bit, how to get into a good fist fight and maybe even get that spear of yours in your hands a bit quicker if you would like" Alec smiles this was something he was actually good at.

"See first thing to remember is that you need your spear in the same place on you at all times. Make it a habit. like with my sword, I know where it is on my body, so i don't have to look or wait to pull it out. I just reach down and pull it out as fast as I would want. You just have to practice it until it becomes instant and you forget where it came from." Alec points to Lo'els hanging spear as he does and nods. "Another thing to remember is that when you have your spear out you can almost always thrust then parry. Most people are expecting that, so what you need to do is..." Alec continued on with his lecture instructing Lo'el in everything he knew about spearmanship.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"Marvelous. Here, let me help you outside, where we shall have a bit more space for me to move around." Throwing an arm around Alec and with considerably great effort, he helps haul the large man to his feet and staggers under the weight of him as he moves him outside, looking over his shoulder as he goes to Isit and Dolan. "We'll be just outside if you should need or wish to join us."

Heading outside, he walks Alec over to a tree near the edge of the village and sits him down to rest against the trunk. "There you go. Gods, I am glad we brought horses. I doubt I would manage long if I had to carry you back to Noah myself. Now, let's see." Doing something he's been meaning to do for some time, the faun takes out some cord and makes himself an crude strap for his spear, which he then promptly slings on his back as he readies himself for Alec's instructions.

As Alec speaks to him, he quickly draws, returns, re-draws and then makes movements through the air with the spear, attempting to match his actions to the northerner's words. He keeps his armor and cloak on, figuring it will be best to train in what he would be wearing in battle and he quickly works up a sweat from all the layers. "So I-" He dashes forward, stopping suddenly and then extending his reach with the spear to strike at a hidden opponent. "And then-" he pulls back sharply and raises the back of the weapon, pointing the tip to the ground for a brief second before he swings it forward again, thrusting higher this time, to where he expects a head would be.

After a long while of thrusting, parrying and attempting to draw his weapon quickly from his back, the faun kneels down on the ground, wiping the sweat from his face as he takes a long drink of water. "Well." he says, between deep breaths. "I think that is the spear covered. My thanks, Alec. I never had much training in using the spear in battle with an armed opponent before. It is a blessing to have you teach me these things. Perhaps, a quick rest and we shall see to fighting with the fists?"

Spending time:
- Raising: Spear by 1 to 15
- Buying: Fast-Draw (Spear) 12
5 CP spent.

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 18, 2012

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

The fatigue was getting ahead of Alec as he helped show Lo'el how to wield his spear. Alec waved at him nodding as he felt dizzy from being so tired and just drained from any activity. After about 10 minutes of standing against the trunk of the tree recovering Alec starts on the next thing he knows about. "The next thing that I can help you with is fighting with your fists. Now it isn't as hard as you might think it is."

Alec lifts up his hands to his side and smiles "First off you have to remember in a fight you are going for your life, so don't bother waiting for him to strike first or not attacking a spot that is open. You need to shift your body so he can only attack the places you want him to attack. Then when he has shifted all his weight forward either after or just before striking that is when you hit him. You want to go for the fat line, or the guts. The face is nice if you want to disorient him." Alec does weak punches and a stance before leaning back against the tree "Now, lets see you try to kick and punch a bit."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Resting his spear on the ground and taking the chance to catch his breath before the next lesson, the faun looks up at Alec leaning against the tree and starts to worry that this may be too much for the man, given his condition. His worries are soon quelled slightly when the northerner smiles and starts throwing a few punches at the air. Standing himself, he takes up a similar stance to Alec and throws his fists forward in what he hopes are some steady punches as he then starts his movements again, following the man's instructions.

Despite coming from a background that does not even think of such fighting, let alone teaching it, the faun finds himself taking to the training with relative ease. The thrusts and jabs with his arms are easy enough after his training with the spear and he only fumbles a few times as he overextends himself before he quickly starts to get the hang of it. After another few sweaty and tiring minutes, he decides to walk to another tree close to Alec and hops up and down a few times on the stop before he lunges forward with a furry leg, delivering a hoofed kick to the trunk.

He feels a dull, aching pain run up the length of his leg as he connects with the tree and he hops on the spot again, trying to shake it off as he lets out an incoherent moan. Then, he looks up to the point where he had landed the strike and he lets out a toothy grin as he sees a cracked and distinct mark in the tree from where his hoof had landed. "Hah! Suppose that will do a bit more damage then what most people will be used to."

Coming upon another idea, the faun runs a hand over his curved back horns and gives Alec a steady nod before he lowers his head and slams it against the tree. The dull ache he had felt from his kick barely registers this time and he tries a few more times at ramming his horns into the trunk, looking up between charges to see the slight damage he is leaving from such an attack. Each time he connects, he feels his head shudder terribly and he takes longer and longer pauses between each attempt as he goes.

After a while of this, he stumbles back and collapses back onto the ground in front of Alec, suddenly feeling very dizzy indeed. "Perhaps I hit it a bit too much." He closes his eyes and shakes his head before smiling at the man as he checks his horns to find no dent or damage done to them at all. "Used to ram like that back in the herd. Play fighting with the other boys really. Think it might come in handy if an attacker tries to get too close." Taking another drink, he then passes the water to Alec and broadens his smile. "Thank you again, Alec. Hopefully I will not be too useless now if I should find myself unarmed here or in another dream like before."

More Spending! Buying:
- Brawling to 13
- Aaand... Striker! (Crushing) (No Parry) for 3 points.
5 CP spent.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Recoiling as she suddenly becomes the object of the priest's ire, Lette watches with creased brow as he departs. With a deep breath, she replays her friends' reassuring remarks, enlisting their aid in wrestling with a returning ache of grief.

The full story doesn't help matters. Her jaw hangs wider with each revelation.

As Martin rattles off the story, she folds her hands in her lap and appears to lend them her full attention. When he reaches the critical condition, the lengthy pause draws her widening eyes up to his. Right. Why shouldn't she handle this part? Lord Roland already probably associated the last bomb of a communiqué with her. May as well keep her record even.

"She insists on full equality between her people and yours. To that end, she proposes..." She fishes for a way to finish the sentence, but finally gives up and concludes: "...To you." She nods once, cat out of the bag. "Um... a political marriage, to seal the arrangement."

She fishes around for the softener post hoc. "For what it's worth, she's got some lovely features — eyes, nose... wings."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"Wings." Lord Roland echoes flatly, and then, "Marriage." He stares at Lette for a long while, then at Martin to reassure himself that this isn't a joke. "Well... I do suppose there are some harpies I've seen that are kind of... tolerable?"

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette nods encouragingly. "Mhm, I agree, sir. But she's not a harpy.

"Um... very nice smile, too. And extremely smart. I've read that about sphinxes, and she's no exception."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Another long stare. "A sphinx." He scratches his head. "The type that's a lion from the neck down?"

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

She nods again in the same way. "That's the one. Also at the ears. Plus the wings.

"We were going to have Dolan use telepathy to send you a picture, but... um, I guess you didn't want people doing that."

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The woman watches Alec and Lo'el as they practice, it was a good idea, but she was worried it was too taxing on Alec. Course he'd never tell if it was. Boys, always trying to get tougher. With a smile she sits back. Pretty soon Lo'el would be a decent fighter, if not a cheerful killer. Spotting the gnoll children staring at her, Isit smiles. "Hey you two. Would you like to see the best way to draw a knife?" Grinning, she demonstrates with a twig, and quickly has them doing the same. At this point she would have trusted them with a knife over her. Using the ribbons as makeshift belts, the little monsters do their best to imitate a quick draw with their swords made from springy branches. "See now some people draw cross body, and some are nimble enough to do it same side. Of course the whole thing changes if you're sitting down or standing up." Twirling, her stick, she nods at the little gnolls as they practice. "Good! I swear, some day you two are gonna be a pair to be reckoned with."

Buying:
Hidden Lore: Fairy-12 IQ+0 [2 cp]
FP +1 [3 cp]
HP +2 [4cp]
Total Spent= 9cp
30 CP left

• Locked thread