Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

That's actually a pretty standard price for Japanese games. It just sounds like a lot because US games tend to have a much lower price point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

If anything, I think the price without the memory stick at ~6000Yen is super cheap, I remember Wii games being almost ~8000 Yen when I was there about 4 years ago. I might be mistaken though, I might have seen PS3 games at that price. I know DVDs get to like ~4000 Yen, disc based media seems unreasonably priced. But for some reason an extra ~3000 Yen seems outrageous for a 16GB memory stick, there has to be at least a full set of Zenethian Armor in there. Or a pointed hat and Half Plate Armor, maybe a Scale Sheild.

So seriously have we seen any combat footage? I never played IX, did this switch from menu driven combat to some kind of real time battle system in the last few iterations?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Was that video a machinima thing? It couldn'tve all been game footage, at least not that I've seen.

It was pretty awesome altogether, but it falls slightly short of spectacular due to a relative lack of Yangus. :colbert:

Gloam
Apr 28, 2012

Mazed posted:

Was that video a machinima thing? It couldn'tve all been game footage, at least not that I've seen.

I think some of it is using a 'free camera' kind of thing to make the combat look more dynamic, that and some of the footage is done by Square Visual Works, so some of it looks a little better than the gameplay footage.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
I've been tempted by the allure of Dragon Quest games in a retro-kick. I'm a Final Fantasy kid who I think was turned off by the NES games at first due to the aforementioned "STAIRS" option and the art quality always seemed under the Final Fantasy games. I've beaten VII straight up(liked the story, but I think it's slow start and long road before you get to the meat of the game turns me off from replaying).

4-6 are on the DS, and I'm leaning towards them for those 3, given they are the most up to date and I prefer to be honest with this stuff, although I don't snub emulated versions.

Do the GBC Versions of 1/2/3 have any worthwhile bonus content or should you just go with the fan-translated SFC versions? This is assuming that the SFC versions are just art-scale ups with no real gameplay/story changes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

I've been tempted by the allure of Dragon Quest games in a retro-kick. I'm a Final Fantasy kid who I think was turned off by the NES games at first due to the aforementioned "STAIRS" option and the art quality always seemed under the Final Fantasy games. I've beaten VII straight up(liked the story, but I think it's slow start and long road before you get to the meat of the game turns me off from replaying).

4-6 are on the DS, and I'm leaning towards them for those 3, given they are the most up to date and I prefer to be honest with this stuff, although I don't snub emulated versions.

Do the GBC Versions of 1/2/3 have any worthwhile bonus content or should you just go with the fan-translated SFC versions? This is assuming that the SFC versions are just art-scale ups with no real gameplay/story changes.

The GBC version of 3 doubles your walking speed in interior locations, but otherwise they're all identical to the SNES versions.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
http://andriasang.com/con18l/dqx_starting/

Seems this game DOES have DQ story!

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Fairly promising, I think.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Some guy in Japan is uploading videos of Terry's Wonderland. He's currently up to the first tournament in the game.

Gloam
Apr 28, 2012

Himuro posted:

http://andriasang.com/con18l/dqx_starting/

Seems this game DOES have DQ story!

Nice to see that there might be a bit more to do offline, hopefully this section is substantial enough. It's also nice to hear that you won't necessarily need a SQEX account what with the 'speedy account' or whatever it's called. Roll on August!

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I picked up a copy of this today at a local bookstore for about this same price as listed here:

http://www.play-asia.com/Dragon_Quest_25th_Anniversary_Monster_Illustration_Book/paOS-13-71-lt-49-en-70-4lip.html

Pretty nice book, it contains references to 99.9% of the monsters to ever appear in a dragon quest title up until before Terry's Wonderland and X. It will probably be a limited run, so those interested should try to get their hands on it within a few months.

LordAndrew
Jul 13, 2009

Walking death machine equipped with the knowledge of Nuclear.
Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D came out a week ago in Japan and it's already sold over 500,000 copies!

On that subject though, I noticed a complete lack of Dragon Quest in this year's E3. Are we getting Terry's Wonderland? What about the new Rocket Slime game that's already been out since November in Japan? Are any of those games heading our way? :(

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm plowing through DQVIII again and I just can't help but gush about what a great game it is. It has a more character heavy plot like V, an amazingly immersive 3D translation of the old school 2D world map, a great difficulty curve and tons of extra stuff to do. I also really like the changes they made to the US version adding the orchestral soundtrack and voiceacting. It almost feels like a traditional RPG in a Dragon Quest wrapper. DQVIII is what I envisioned next gen RPGs being like back in the PS1 days.

I liked DQIX but it just wasn't the same. It didn't have that expansive feel of running up a hill so you can see your surroundings that VIII has. The only other game that felt as expansive to me was Xenoblade. I'm afraid DQX is just not going to be very good at all. Nintendo doesn't really have a solid grasp on anything online ever so it may be a wash. I want to believe but it ain't looking good to me.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

LordAndrew posted:

On that subject though, I noticed a complete lack of Dragon Quest in this year's E3. Are we getting Terry's Wonderland? What about the new Rocket Slime game that's already been out since November in Japan? Are any of those games heading our way? :(

Nintendo's pretty much become Dragon Quest's western publisher, and in fact they do pretty well with them, not Japan Numbers but a lot better then when Square was doing their own US publishing. And Nintendo doesn't announce games much more then half a year until they come out. There's good odds that Terry's Wonderland will come out in 2013, but I don't know about Rocket Slime. :(

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Levantine posted:

I'm plowing through DQVIII again and I just can't help but gush about what a great game it is. It has a more character heavy plot like V, an amazingly immersive 3D translation of the old school 2D world map, a great difficulty curve and tons of extra stuff to do. I also really like the changes they made to the US version adding the orchestral soundtrack and voiceacting. It almost feels like a traditional RPG in a Dragon Quest wrapper. DQVIII is what I envisioned next gen RPGs being like back in the PS1 days.

I liked DQIX but it just wasn't the same. It didn't have that expansive feel of running up a hill so you can see your surroundings that VIII has. The only other game that felt as expansive to me was Xenoblade. I'm afraid DQX is just not going to be very good at all. Nintendo doesn't really have a solid grasp on anything online ever so it may be a wash. I want to believe but it ain't looking good to me.

I need to play VIII again, it really is the best thing. The story's all cliche, but it's all wonderfully executed, brilliantly acted, awesomely localized cliches. And the world map is loving amazing - I usually hate JRPG world maps because so many of them have the characters trucking around a miniturized world that absolutely kills any sense of wonder or immersion for me, but DQVIII made the world map my favorite part of the game - going through a mountain trail or a desert feels so much more trecharous when the game actualyl forces you to go through a full-scale, lovingly rendered mountain trail or desert. Combine that with the gorgeous graphics and score, and you've got yourself JRPG nirvana.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Spiritus Nox posted:

I need to play VIII again, it really is the best thing. The story's all cliche, but it's all wonderfully executed, brilliantly acted, awesomely localized cliches. And the world map is loving amazing - I usually hate JRPG world maps because so many of them have the characters trucking around a miniturized world that absolutely kills any sense of wonder or immersion for me, but DQVIII made the world map my favorite part of the game - going through a mountain trail or a desert feels so much more trecharous when the game actualyl forces you to go through a full-scale, lovingly rendered mountain trail or desert. Combine that with the gorgeous graphics and score, and you've got yourself JRPG nirvana.

This is my feeling in a nutshell. So few games capture that feeling of exploration and I hate that they didn't stick with it for DQIX. Hopefully DQX will bring that back, MMO or no.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

BabyRyoga posted:

I picked up a copy of this today at a local bookstore for about this same price as listed here:

http://www.play-asia.com/Dragon_Quest_25th_Anniversary_Monster_Illustration_Book/paOS-13-71-lt-49-en-70-4lip.html

Pretty nice book, it contains references to 99.9% of the monsters to ever appear in a dragon quest title up until before Terry's Wonderland and X. It will probably be a limited run, so those interested should try to get their hands on it within a few months.

Seconding this, it's a really amazing book and a great art resource! They've even got art for a few of the monsters from Terry's Wonderland and DQX. Question for you, BabyRyoga: does your copy have a gap between the cover and the green pages glued to the inside of it?

In the meantime I'm getting kind of interested in DQX from what I've been reading about it, though I don't suppose we're going to be getting it over here until the Wii U version hits the market.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 has eaten up 25 hours of my time and still hasn't gotten old. I'm near the final boss now, and am just trying to fuse as many A-rank monsters as I can before facing him. I'm excited to see if my strategy of "Psyching up, Oomphing and punching really hard" will work on him like it has on every other boss. But, I mean, we all know the monsters are the most interesting part of DQ, so these games are like loving cocaine for me.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
VIII needs a remake with faster battles. Like, yesterday.

Gloam
Apr 28, 2012

Blaine the Train posted:

Seconding this, it's a really amazing book and a great art resource! They've even got art for a few of the monsters from Terry's Wonderland and DQX. Question for you, BabyRyoga: does your copy have a gap between the cover and the green pages glued to the inside of it?

In the meantime I'm getting kind of interested in DQX from what I've been reading about it, though I don't suppose we're going to be getting it over here until the Wii U version hits the market.

I should really give this another go, didn't much care for Joker 1 but 2 seemed to have some good stuff going on. Just got the ice-level and met Penelope Pitstop again. 25 hours doesn't sound so bad for a play through.

I second the call for a fast battle DQVIII remake. Get on it Square. Actually surprised they didn't port VIII to the Wii as a lead into DQX.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I feel like VII is due for an overhaul. It was a really long but flawed game in a lot of ways but I still have a soft spot for it. Such a weird game that one of the selling points was "No battles for like the first hour!" or whatever. The job system was way too grindy (like VI) but it still managed to be fun, somehow.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Allow me to share from the 3DS general thread why I'm feeling jealous right now.

Neo Helbeast posted:

Took 2 weeks to get here and 3 calls to my bank to say "no I'm not being robbed I really did pay that much" but:

:toot:

And some actual feedback.

Neo Helbeast posted:

So I'd thought I post out some Day 1 thoughts on Terry's Wonderland.

• The game has not been rebalanced for the inclusion of a 4th character to your team so Bosses are quite easy(Hale died on the first turn before he had a chance to attack)
  • This game is goddam adorable
  • The original portal gates for exiting to the next level have been replaced by wells. I can only assume eventually some of them will be traps with Living Wells.
  • Meat is back in. Haven't needed it yet so I'm not sure how much of a scout boost it gives you
  • The town is quite big and Warp has been changed to take you to specific areas around Great Tree
  • This game is goddam adorable

SlimeSanction
Oct 21, 2008
I'm worried about the online aspect of DQX. I don't play MMORPGs, is it possible to play the game without paying a monthly bill? I went ahead and pre-ordered the Slime keyboard made for DQX, because I need various Slime items to live.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

SlimeSanction posted:

Is it possible to play the game without paying a monthly bill?

The game comes with a free 20-day subscription.
After that, they charge basically on a monthly basis (30-day pass costs 1,000 yen = $12.50ish; 60-day pass = 1,950 yen; and 90-day pass = 2,900 yen; all rates include tax).
They also have a free "Kids Time" in which non-paying players are alerted to the impending time limit, then automatically saved and booted when the time comes.
The Kids Times are Monday ~ Friday (incl. holidays) 16:00 ~ 18:00, and 13:00 ~ 15:00 on weekends.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

SlimeSanction posted:

I went ahead and pre-ordered the Slime keyboard made for DQX, because I need various Slime items to live.

Dunno if I'd trust that keyboard. Sounds a bit squishy to type on.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Doug Dinsdale posted:

After that, they charge basically on a monthly basis (30-day pass costs 1,000 yen = $12.50ish; 60-day pass = 1,950 yen; and 90-day pass = 2,900 yen; all rates include tax).
They also have a free "Kids Time" in which non-paying players are alerted to the impending time limit, then automatically saved and booted when the time comes.
The Kids Times are Monday ~ Friday (incl. holidays) 16:00 ~ 18:00, and 13:00 ~ 15:00 on weekends.

Is there an offline mode?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Mazed posted:

It was pretty awesome altogether, but it falls slightly short of spectacular due to a relative lack of Yangus. :colbert:

It's basically a big collection of most of the summon-like finishing moves in the game. Here's what one of them looks like, which also happens to sum up the entire DQ franchise in 60 seconds. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NINJJ7urTZY

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Two hours a day, huh?

Welp not getting that. :v:

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Bongo Bill posted:

Is there an offline mode?

No. You have to be online, even if your play style is solo.

Kids Time might not be a bad idea for me.
I'm dismayed by how much time I sank into FFXI years ago and how I still miss it terribly today.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I'm dismayed by how much time I sank into FFXI years ago and how I still miss it terribly today.

It's still there and even getting the occasional new expansion.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Levantine posted:

I feel like VII is due for an overhaul. It was a really long but flawed game in a lot of ways but I still have a soft spot for it. Such a weird game that one of the selling points was "No battles for like the first hour!" or whatever. The job system was way too grindy (like VI) but it still managed to be fun, somehow.

VII's selling point was "Genuinely 100+ hours of gameplay", with "it takes an hour just to get to the random battles" being used as evidence to support the claim.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Cyberventurer posted:

It's basically a big collection of most of the summon-like finishing moves in the game. Here's what one of them looks like, which also happens to sum up the entire DQ franchise in 60 seconds. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NINJJ7urTZY

I don't know where this came from, but it is amazing.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Silento posted:

I don't know where this came from, but it is amazing.

Some kind of slot or pachinko game IIRC.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Since FFXI had a PC version, I'm holding onto hope that there will be one for DQX as well. If so I will quit WoW to play this, seriously. From those screenshots it looked like combat is real-time?

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
OK so I may have what seems like a silly question, but could I use that slime keyboard for my computer? 'Cause I don't have a Wii but holy cow, slime keyboard.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Terpfen posted:

VII's selling point was "Genuinely 100+ hours of gameplay", with "it takes an hour just to get to the random battles" being used as evidence to support the claim.

Ah yes, that was it. I have a soft spot for VII despite how abusively long it was. It never got bad, just exhausting. I suppose if you ever want to accomplish anything with the job system it's even longer! Still, a nice overhaul and re-release would be nice.

SlimeSanction
Oct 21, 2008

Awesomonster posted:

OK so I may have what seems like a silly question, but could I use that slime keyboard for my computer? 'Cause I don't have a Wii but holy cow, slime keyboard.
Animenewsnetwork claims that you can use it on a standard pc. I'll probably be doing the same thing since I really don't know if I'm gonna get DQX.

Just recently, I was browsing the Japanese Square Enix site and stumbled upon a browser game where you can take care of your very own Slime. I contacted SQUEX, asking if I can use my NA login on the Japanese site and they said that I couldn't. How depressing. The game is called Slime's room, or Slime no oheya in Japanese, if anyone wants to be letdown because they won't get to play with Slimes.

Gloam
Apr 28, 2012

Ofecks posted:

Since FFXI had a PC version, I'm holding onto hope that there will be one for DQX as well. If so I will quit WoW to play this, seriously. From those screenshots it looked like combat is real-time?

Seems as if you cue up your attacks, on a timer. There's some sort of ideal timing so as you can get a number of attacks in quick succession. Probably close to FFXII.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SlimeSanction posted:

I'm worried about the online aspect of DQX. I don't play MMORPGs, is it possible to play the game without paying a monthly bill? I went ahead and pre-ordered the Slime keyboard made for DQX, because I need various Slime items to live.

Going by Square-Enix's last two attempts at online games (FF11 and 14) I would expect an online DQ game made by them to be a similar trainwreck where the subscription should be the least of your worries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Evil Fluffy posted:

Going by Square-Enix's last two attempts at online games (FF11 and 14) I would expect an online DQ game made by them to be a similar trainwreck where the subscription should be the least of your worries.

Problem with this train of thought: it assumes that the same development teams are involved. They aren't.