Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
There's a headphone thread in the A/V arena that would be a good place to ask: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2387142

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Dr. Goonstein posted:

Reading up on these a bit and these sound like a pretty good buy and definitely in my price range. My problem is that the first review on Amazon is saying they aren't made for people with large heads in mind. I will admit that my head is a step up from average, so while I can't imagine I would have that much of a problem, I still have to wonder. Any feedback on that?

I have a big head. They are too tight after a while. I have hdj1000s and they hurt the top of my head after a while especially if ive got both sides on and not one side behind my ear when i dj.

Also with the hd280s you cant cup with your shoulder.

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008
Went with the HD280's. Love them. No offense but you guys must have some huge loving heads. Fit on me just fine and I love them. Thanks guys!

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Normal heads unite.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I figure this is the right place to post this: I'm looking for more tunes with tempo changes. In particular, I'd like to find something that transitions from House (or maybe Breaks around 130) to D&B. I can obviously ramp up the tempo across a few songs but I'm under short time constraints - and I hate having to use Freeze Reverb because I think it's pretty cheeseball.

My 'crew' and I have started playing out regularly but we've kind of gotten the short end of the stick at the bar we have a regular night at - spinning on the same nights as big festivals or events at said bar, etc. But some bigger opportunities on the horizon have got me excited. This Tuesday a couple of us are playing at Nocturne (that's why I'm looking for that transition track) and it's actually going to be streamed live online!
https://www.musicneversleeps.ca
https://www.frenchkissfm.com
https://www.afterhoursdjs.org
should have the stream if anyone's interested. These are exciting times! I still have much to learn but it feels so good making people dance (and lose their minds) and being able to play out my own stuff. It's increased my studio productivity like craaaaay.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 15, 2012

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
What about going House-->Dubstep-->Drum and Bass?

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Or prepare some edits yourself.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Sjoewe posted:

Or prepare some edits yourself.

Going to second this

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

I figure this is the right place to post this: I'm looking for more tunes with tempo changes. In particular, I'd like to find something that transitions from House (or maybe Breaks around 130) to D&B.

Here's one that goes from bass at 130 to a footworky hip-hop kind of feel north of 80/160.
http://soundcloud.com/obey-city/schoolboy-q-blessed-obey-city

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Mister Speaker posted:

I figure this is the right place to post this: I'm looking for more tunes with tempo changes. In particular, I'd like to find something that transitions from House (or maybe Breaks around 130) to D&B. I can obviously ramp up the tempo across a few songs but I'm under short time constraints - and I hate having to use Freeze Reverb because I think it's pretty cheeseball.

My 'crew' and I have started playing out regularly but we've kind of gotten the short end of the stick at the bar we have a regular night at - spinning on the same nights as big festivals or events at said bar, etc. But some bigger opportunities on the horizon have got me excited. This Tuesday a couple of us are playing at Nocturne (that's why I'm looking for that transition track) and it's actually going to be streamed live online!
should have the stream if anyone's interested. These are exciting times! I still have much to learn but it feels so good making people dance (and lose their minds) and being able to play out my own stuff. It's increased my studio productivity like craaaaay.

Deekline and Ed Solo have got a couple of records on Cut and Run that have both a drum and bass and breaks remix, they tend to have very similar breakdowns and you can slam the crossfader over just before the track kicks back in between the two to transition between the bpms

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

sweet picture from one of my residencies. I cant wait to get some pics from my next job, its seriously crazy.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm wondering what my options are for getting midi clock sync out of a digital vinyl package. It appears as though Ms. Pinky can do it, but I'm worried about descending into :spergin: territory with that. Are there any other options out there, preferably on the lower cost end? I have Traktor and Serato vinyl and the audio and midi interfaces ready, and can work out of OS X or Windows.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

oredun posted:

sweet picture from one of my residencies. I cant wait to get some pics from my next job, its seriously crazy.

This picture makes me feel nervous. I say this to everyone, but get a laptop stand! Thos drinks look like they are a bass drop away from pouring into your computer.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm wondering what my options are for getting midi clock sync out of a digital vinyl package. It appears as though Ms. Pinky can do it, but I'm worried about descending into :spergin: territory with that. Are there any other options out there, preferably on the lower cost end? I have Traktor and Serato vinyl and the audio and midi interfaces ready, and can work out of OS X or Windows.

I believe Traktor can send Midi Clock out...I think it's hidden under the "metronome" icon in the upper right hand side of the screen. If I remember correctly the MIDI clock output is timed to whichever deck is the master. I'm a little foggy on that one though since I don't use Traktor anymore...maybe someone else with more advanced Traktor experience can chime in.

Scratch Live doesn't support MIDI out, which is why my Kontrol X1's lights don't work.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Pretty sure Traktor's midi out is straightforward. A few friends of mine do a hybrid live/DJ thing called The Travelling poo poo Show which is a combination of Traktor, Serato, and Ableton Live all playing together.

I can ask them and see how they send their master clock and where they send it from if you like

They did a beatport ustream broadcast just a few weeks before I did:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/23173195

(they had two glitches during this performance with the master clock that was throwing Ableton out of whack, I don't remember if they figured out what caused it or not)

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Mister Speaker posted:

Camo & Krooked have a few tracks with short housey interludes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdIoLYjrrKQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtmwja_jIFQ

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
vanilla slimfast, these guys are GREAT! They have good presence, too - it's fun to watch them.

Advanced technique, re: tempo shifts: you can goof off with a little math, too, and pull off some crazy mixes.

Remember cross multiplication from algebra?

code:

170 bpm      x
------- = -------
16 bars   12 bars

16x = 2040
x = 127.5

So, if you had a 170 bpm track playing and had a 127.5 bpm track cued up, 16 bars of the dnb track would be exactly 12 bars of the house track. If you do your transition during a relatively non-complex part of both songs, you get a crazy triplet syncopated (but synced) beat that doesn't sound bad, but lets you tempo shift. It's a situational tactic, but if you have the right tracks picked for it, it works well.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Jonny 290 posted:

If you do your transition during a relatively non-complex part of both songs, you get a crazy triplet syncopated (but synced) beat

I'm sure DJs and musicians would understand and appreciate, but...I would tend to think the other 99% would assume you hosed up.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

vanilla slimfast, these guys are GREAT! They have good presence, too - it's fun to watch them.

Yeah, they started doing this live show thing recently and it's gotten a lot of positive feedback at their performances so far. The two guys closest to the camera are also the principal organizers behind Great American Techno Festival, which I'm a part of as well. If you needed an excuse to visit Denver this summer/fall, this is a good one

Side-note/semi-brag, I'm playing in the same lineup with them at Global Dance Festival at Red Rocks this weekend. Checking another item off my DJ bucket list (playing at Red Rocks). It's the third stage, but still awesome to get to play at such a legendary venue

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Old Man Pants posted:

This picture makes me feel nervous. I say this to everyone, but get a laptop stand! Thos drinks look like they are a bass drop away from pouring into your computer.

I cant stand seeing a laptop on stage so i try to hide it best i can.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

oredun posted:

I cant stand seeing a laptop on stage so i try to hide it best i can.
I hate it when the laptop is directly in front of the DJ so it covers their face. I'm looking at you club DJs.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

keevo posted:

I hate it when the laptop is directly in front of the DJ so it covers their face. I'm looking at you club DJs.

It kills your nightvision so bad when you look away you cant even see the crowd. I have no idea why they do that.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

oredun posted:

It kills your nightvision so bad when you look away you cant even see the crowd. I have no idea why they do that.

So they don't have to strain their necks when staring at the waveforms. :v:

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Got to try out my new budget rig tonight, an old macbook I bought in SA Mart, a mini to RCA adapter and Virtual DJ. This is a much better solution for me when I have a gig that I just have to play a few songs in a row vs having to mix and doing efx tricks and beat juggling and setting up my whole rig with controller and soundcard.
Total cost $400, total time to setup, 2 minutes vs the 10 it takes me to get my expensive rig up and running. Pretty happy with it overall.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Sorry for bringing this up again...does anybody have a mirror of that 2 hour levels set? I need it for reasons

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
So I'm getting behind the decks again after a good long while of not-DJing. I'm not coming out of retirement or anything but it was a special request from a good friend.

I don't keep on top of top 40. Does anyone have any resources and or links to any bog-standard, girl-friendly, un-risky, mainstream, floor-filling, full-night setlists and mixes I could listen to?

:sigh:

I know.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I would just go to your local radio station's website and look at their top whatever list. You could also look at record pools and see what their super hot fire list is.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Sorry for bringing this up again...does anybody have a mirror of that 2 hour levels set? I need it for reasons

Let me poke my friend who made it if no one else kept a copy.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
He put it back up: http://official.fm/tracks/g4je

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Hahah this is bizarre. I was about to watch some Seinfeld, then I decided I should probably listen/watch some DJ set instead and... well. here I go.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Old Man Pants posted:

Got to try out my new budget rig tonight, an old macbook I bought in SA Mart, a mini to RCA adapter and Virtual DJ. This is a much better solution for me when I have a gig that I just have to play a few songs in a row vs having to mix and doing efx tricks and beat juggling and setting up my whole rig with controller and soundcard.
Total cost $400, total time to setup, 2 minutes vs the 10 it takes me to get my expensive rig up and running. Pretty happy with it overall.

Be sure to gaffer tape your mini-jack into the MacBook's headphone socket. Mini-jack sockets have less than a mm2 of contact area and sod-all mechanical stability; you don't want a small knock putting the laptop back into internal speaker mode.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Sup DJ dudes. I'm looking to buy my first bit of hardware in the future.

The local music shop has two Numark controllers quite cheap, I'm not really going to go into exact pricing as I have to pay the living in New Zealand Tax. One is called DJ2GO and has integrated Virtual DJ LE Lite Software. The other is a MixTrack comes with Traktor LE software.

Which would be a better choice of the two? At this point I'd be want something that isn't going to break if I use it too much.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

keevo posted:

I would just go to your local radio station's website and look at their top whatever list. You could also look at record pools and see what their super hot fire list is.

I should've thought of this myself. Thanks! It helped as much as it could. The people at the party wanted a jukebox, not a DJ so I ended up bowing out and letting them run their iPods through the mains. I stuck around to keep the lighting going, make sure the iPods were eq'ed and at appropriate volume, and help them swap them out when they got bored of one.

Better to give them what they want, and not force them to listen/pay for someone playing what they don't want.

It did give me a good awareness of the vast differences between being a Top 40 DJ and when I was a genre-specific touring DJ. I really feel for the people who do this. There was a whole lot of variations of the thread title before I gave up.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
Cross post from the DJ Mixes thread. Just had my first real "digital" gig after making the switch from vinyl. I was very nervous since I'd literally never done a gig without records before, but everything seemed to go just fine. It did actually make me miss vinyl, I can't help but miss the physical touch from vinyl, but instant cueing is a real perk, and I ended up looping a phrase to let the DJ after me have some breathing room. All in all I'm happy with the switch to a controller, but I think I need to plan for some all-vinyl sets as well, I miss that poo poo.

It was an incredible sound system, and they let me start a bit early so I had a full 90 minutes at the party. The highlight for me was realizing that Thugfucker was in the audience, so I snuck on one of his tunes. :-)

Stream:
http://soundcloud.com/nacktmusic/nackt-fnf-2012

Download:
http://soundcloud.com/nacktmusic/na...f-2012/download

1) Benjamin Damage & Doc Daneeka - Halo
2) Pearson Sound - Untitled
3) GoldFFinch - Let Me See
4) Boddika / Joy Orbison / Pearson Sound - Faint
5) Apparat - Song of Los
6) Mickey Pearce - I Am
7) Benjamin Damage & Doc Daneeka - Charlottenburg
8) Radiohead - Lotus Flower (Jacques Greene Remix)
9) Ramadanman - Tempest
10) Presk - Love Again
11) Blawan - Getting Me Down
12) Alfie - Uncomfortably Numb
13) Eats Everything - Entrance Song
14) Julio Bashmore - Battle For Middle You
15) Presk - Slick Rick
16) Azari & III - Manic
17) Shigeto - Field Day (Braille Remix)
18) Bicep & Ejeca - You
19) Lorca - Missed Me
20) My Favorite Robot - The Waiting Rain (Mano Le Tough Remix)
21) Justin Martin - Don't Go
22) Thugfucker / Tale of Us - Morgana
23) Bandshell - Dust March
24) Trusta - Feels So
25) Tycho - PBS
26) Scuba - M.A.R.S.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Solus posted:

Sup DJ dudes. I'm looking to buy my first bit of hardware in the future.

The local music shop has two Numark controllers quite cheap, I'm not really going to go into exact pricing as I have to pay the living in New Zealand Tax. One is called DJ2GO and has integrated Virtual DJ LE Lite Software. The other is a MixTrack comes with Traktor LE software.

Which would be a better choice of the two? At this point I'd be want something that isn't going to break if I use it too much.

The Mixtrack is definitely better, however the mixtrack pro comes with a built in soundcard so if you don't have one already it might be worth paying the little bit more for the pro.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

epalm posted:

I'm sure DJs and musicians would understand and appreciate, but...I would tend to think the other 99% would assume you hosed up.

I haven't tried that particular trick (though I think I will, now) but I find it's the other way around - you're largely playing for drunk people, not other musicians/DJs. I'm only a hobby DJ that's done mostly only house parties thus far, but I've done what I thought was some awful sounding poo poo and had people complement the transition. :iiam:

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Guys I need your expert's advice about library organization.

I'm running on a Mac book pro with Traktor and I'm trying to find a way to not gently caress up my library like I just did by simply using iTag to rename my files. The problem is that now the iTunes playlist seem to reference tunes that aren't there any more since they've been renamed. They play nicely in iTunes for some reason (?!) but when I import playlist inside Traktor I get tunes is corrupt or missing message.

Also I hate the fact that iTunes playlists don't synch when they are imported to Traktor (if I add a new tune to iTunes playlist it doesn't show up in Traktor and I have to import the playlist again...)

So basically I think I'm going to set a workflow when adding new tunes.

First, is iTunes really the best/only tool I should use to manage my tunes? I don't really like iTunes :eng99:

So here is how I'm planning to do it.

- Buy/Get new tune
- Run Mixed in Key
- Run iTag to rename tune using id3 tag info
- Add tune to iTunes
- Add to playlist etc..
- Import playlist to Traktor
- Never ever touch this tune again

Any input or suggestions on this? Is there any better way to do it?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Le0 posted:

Guys I need your expert's advice about library organization.

I'm running on a Mac book pro with Traktor and I'm trying to find a way to not gently caress up my library like I just did by simply using iTag to rename my files. The problem is that now the iTunes playlist seem to reference tunes that aren't there any more since they've been renamed. They play nicely in iTunes for some reason (?!) but when I import playlist inside Traktor I get tunes is corrupt or missing message.

Also I hate the fact that iTunes playlists don't synch when they are imported to Traktor (if I add a new tune to iTunes playlist it doesn't show up in Traktor and I have to import the playlist again...)

So basically I think I'm going to set a workflow when adding new tunes.

First, is iTunes really the best/only tool I should use to manage my tunes? I don't really like iTunes :eng99:

So here is how I'm planning to do it.

- Buy/Get new tune
- Run Mixed in Key
- Run iTag to rename tune using id3 tag info
- Add tune to iTunes
- Add to playlist etc..
- Import playlist to Traktor
- Never ever touch this tune again

Any input or suggestions on this? Is there any better way to do it?

Silly question, but why are you going through all the trouble to rename the files? If you're always using the metadata, either within itunes or traktor, the filename doesn't really matter? Seems like you are making things overly complicated with that step.

That being said, the naming of the files you get by default from Beatport are kinda a pain to manage when you're not looking at the metadata. Use their pro app (if you're on a Mac), or the Beatport Downloader (which is cross-platform) to use a more intelligent file naming scheme.

I agree that Traktor's iTunes integration leaves a lot to be desired; this is the one place that Serato still wins on, hands-down.

Traktor Pro-Tip: If you moved a bunch of files and they are now not able to be located, there's a quick way for Traktor to relocate them automagically. I don't know if this works for renamed files, however. Select all the files you care about (or your whole collection, if you like), right-click and select "Check Consistency" This is helpful for not only finding missing files, but also files that haven't been analyzed. From that dialog you can then specify whether to analyze the un-analyzed files and search for the missing files (just point it at your root music folder).

You can also enable a setting to do the consistency check on startup, if that's your thing

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

iTunes is 80% of why I opted for a Windows laptop to run Traktor.

Slimfasts' suggestion about running solely from metadata is probably the easiest thing to do, but can't stand up to my OCD about having all the mp3s look 'pretty' in their folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

vanilla slimfast posted:

Silly question, but why are you going through all the trouble to rename the files? If you're always using the metadata, either within itunes or traktor, the filename doesn't really matter? Seems like you are making things overly complicated with that step.

That being said, the naming of the files you get by default from Beatport are kinda a pain to manage when you're not looking at the metadata. Use their pro app (if you're on a Mac), or the Beatport Downloader (which is cross-platform) to use a more intelligent file naming scheme.

I agree that Traktor's iTunes integration leaves a lot to be desired; this is the one place that Serato still wins on, hands-down.

Traktor Pro-Tip: If you moved a bunch of files and they are now not able to be located, there's a quick way for Traktor to relocate them automagically. I don't know if this works for renamed files, however. Select all the files you care about (or your whole collection, if you like), right-click and select "Check Consistency" This is helpful for not only finding missing files, but also files that haven't been analyzed. From that dialog you can then specify whether to analyze the un-analyzed files and search for the missing files (just point it at your root music folder).

You can also enable a setting to do the consistency check on startup, if that's your thing

But I like having all my mp3 nicely named :(
I might leave that step out

Thanks for the tips