Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
Even for a filler chapter that was a nice little peek into their lives and the art was still amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

The good news: I managed to get Otoyomegatari 23 done in just a few days!
Don't think I've seen a comic like that before. Almost like a coloring book.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Dammit, where's my Lamb & Rice?!? :argh:

Thanks again for the chapter.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Puukko naamassa posted:

New Vinland Saga: http://www.mangareader.net/vinland-saga/81

This is going to end badly, isn't it.
"end badly" is an interesting view. Seems like it will end awesomely with the protagonist kicking rear end again without time to take names. Things have never looked good for his field-clearing slave buddy, from the moment he got a crush on Arneis.

notafbiagent
Aug 20, 2004
Hello average citizen. Are you commiting any crimes? Please talk slowly and directly into my pocket.

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

The good news: I managed to get Otoyomegatari 23 done in just a few days!

The bad news: That's because it's a big stinkin' cop-out chapter. See you in two months hoo hoo hoo :argh: Moriiii

Thank you so much for your hard work!

I loved it. It reminded me of those old photo books I used to read when I was a kid. Filled with pictures and short captions trying to describe what is happening. In fact, most of the drawings seem to resemble exactly that style of old school sociology or National Geographic narratives. It really accents the idea that this is what it would have been like to look at the lives of these exotic people through pictures if you were some kid in the 1900s.

Far from it being a cop out I felt it is exactly in keeping with how the story was in the beginning. As if this is what the doctor would have been doing if he was a photographer. In fact, I felt that the recent story arcs, while entertaining, was getting a bit boring.

This series is such a beautifully romantic view of the old imperialistic exploratory era, and this chapter absolutely nails that nostalgic feeling I originally had with those silent panels full of wonderful views and amazingly detailed garments.

I gladly wait for the next chapter. Like I used to look forward to periodicals and books before the internet.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
It's a perfectly nice little presentation, I only say cop-out (and maybe I should've chosen my words better) because the chapter is prefaced with that little note that says essentially "nope not ready yet, check back next deadline. For now here's some stuff I wanted to draw but couldn't fit in before"

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

It's a perfectly nice little presentation, I only say cop-out (and maybe I should've chosen my words better) because the chapter is prefaced with that little note that says essentially "nope not ready yet, check back next deadline. For now here's some stuff I wanted to draw but couldn't fit in before"

Yeah, the fact that it's really pretty and fairly interesting doesn't change the fact that it was a cop-out.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

OH gently caress

(new Vinland Saga)

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doc Hawkins posted:

OH gently caress

(new Vinland Saga)

I think we all kind of expected that, but still. Holy poo poo. That was METAL AS gently caress.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Also Historie, recent winner of some prestigious manga award.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Doc Hawkins posted:

OH gently caress

(new Vinland Saga)

She's not gonna do it is she :smith:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I really love how the author got us to stop being used to the violence in this manga. We kinda feel exactly like Thorfinn, wanting to avoid unnecessary conflict.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Brannock posted:

She's not gonna do it is she :smith:

I feel like horrible things are in store for us. Horrible, terrible things. Poor Enir.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Doc Hawkins posted:

OH gently caress

(new Vinland Saga)

This is why I love Vinland Saga.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

One of the nicely emphasised touches is how wrecked Arneis' hands are. It's visual evidence of how hard her life has been.

[edit] I'm also trying to remember in which Saga someone bit someone's head off. I think it was Egil's but now I'm trying to check I can't find the reference.

Munin fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 28, 2012

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
The artist is really good with hands, and using them to illustrate how tough things were; I think one of my favorite bits is the girl in the village who stole the ring, and the contrast between the ring and the roughness of her hands.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

DKD posted:

The artist is really good with hands, and using them to illustrate how tough things were; I think one of my favorite bits is the girl in the village who stole the ring, and the contrast between the ring and the roughness of her hands.

Yeah I clearly remember that too. I think it was the first time I noticed how much detail is put into the hands.

Handchat.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I never noticed the hand thing. Thank you guys for pointing out another thing for me to appreciate.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Happy June y'all, have a goofy bonus chapter of Otoyomegatari:

(no idea when/where it was actually published, found it randomly and set it aside for a rainy day)

The new chapter should be out on the 20th, I'll start f5ing google around then but don't expect to see much until about this time next month. Not ruling out any sooner, but I wouldn't want anyone to get their hopes up.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Ahaha holy poo poo that was great, thanks Epoxy Bulletin.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

The best thing about that chapter is that it's only a reminder that she's the most bad-rear end character in the series.

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010
A new chapter of Jin has been translated. I'm not aware if the thread has come into contact with this yet, but I'm enjoying the time traveling surgeon. Check it out, it's neat.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

That was pretty interesting, thanks.

Squidgy
May 22, 2010
That was something amazing right there, thanks for sharing. I want to see more 'professionals travel back in time and employ their expert shenanigans on the primitive population' stories now, but for now this will do.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lemonpieman posted:

A new chapter of Jin has been translated. I'm not aware if the thread has come into contact with this yet, but I'm enjoying the time traveling surgeon. Check it out, it's neat.

Huh, despite its weird premise this is actually a really interesting manga. Also I'm learning things about surgery, so score one for educational value, I guess.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

That was definitively very interesting. I hope someone will translate the rest, apparently there is a total of 20 volumes out. As well as a live-action drama that was quite well received in Japan.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Chapters 9 and 10 of Gunka no Baltzar were released, if anyone else is still reading it.

e: I think some of my favorite parts are the research pages done for this manga. It's interesting trivia.

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 19, 2012

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nondevor posted:

Chapters 9 and 10 of Gunka no Baltzar were released, if anyone else is still reading it.

Oh yes, the fantasy Bismarckian Germany manga is a pro-read, even if the story is becoming kinda dark.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Nondevor posted:

Absolutely! Thanks for the link.

Baltzar's main objective in the charge is to try to prevent the artillery from killing too many civilians, I think? With only five unblooded cavalry, I can't imagine this will last for very long. If there were more of them, causing the insurgents to break up and flee would be plausible, but I don't think so with five guys on horseback. Unless I'm missing something, which is also perfectly plausible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Batigh posted:

Absolutely! Thanks for the link.

Baltzar's main objective in the charge is to try to prevent the artillery from killing too many civilians, I think? With only five unblooded cavalry, I can't imagine this will last for very long. If there were more of them, causing the insurgents to break up and flee would be plausible, but I don't think so with five guys on horseback. Unless I'm missing something, which is also perfectly plausible.

Baltzar is sort of a killing machine, though.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Hello thread, new chapter of Bride's Story for you. I suggest you skip it if you or your workplace have hangups with the sheep -> food process or something.

Chapter 24

Ali's having a loving ball, guy loves him his weddings :buddy:

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

You da man, Epoxy Bulletin.

American Folk Hero
Oct 21, 2010
Oh good, I was wondering when I was going to get my fix for this month. You do excellent work, Epoxy Bulletin. I doubt we'd be getting these chapters at all if not for you.

As for the chapter itself:
I loved the part where Smith admits that English people like him don't actually process the food they eat themselves. And then he realizes that he comes across as a complete and utter wimp to these people. I've had those exact same feelings before. :negative:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Btw, if you're interested in people like Mr Smith this is an excellent read:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Great-Game-Secret-Service/dp/0719564476

[edit]

quote:

The Brides.

Are to sit.

Quietly.

*grin*

Munin fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 23, 2012

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
You do a drat good job Epoxy.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Hello thread, new chapter of Bride's Story for you.
Hard to tell whether the blankets are an actual tradition or if the grandmother is just loving with them again :v:

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

New Vinland Saga & Historie

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Mangafox is saying Vinland Saga has been licensed. Does this mean I'll be able to buy them here in the states?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Volume posted:

Mangafox is saying Vinland Saga has been licensed. Does this mean I'll be able to buy them here in the states?
I'm seeing nothing that supports this. Maybe another country licensed it recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Well there it is. The real plot of Vinland Saga emerges. Everything up until now has been to give Thorfinn the perspective to want to build a better society in a new world.

But... [major history spoilers for the likely end of the whole Vinland Saga manga] This is going to be such a god drat sad story... Thorfinn Karlsefni's expedition historically ends with a misunderstanding leading to war with the Skraelings. In Vinland Saga Thorfinn is going to get all the way to loving Newfoundland, build a town there, start to raise a family... but war is going to follow him there and destroy it all. :smith: