Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

When I was like 13 or 14, I convinced myself I had psychic powers, though I never told anyone because I rarely actually talked with people in real life at that point. There are a lot of internet tutorials on how to perform minor psychic powers, which can provide a convincing feeling based on your concentration despite actually doing nothing, and the most widespread one by far was creating energy balls. I think if you google search for "how to make a psi ball" you'll find tons and tons of results.

(Thankfully this was just a stupid teenager phase for me and I did not become a full-blown crazy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nakoprex
Aug 30, 2011
When I was a junior high, I remember a pbs special about parapsychology with some great footage from Russian and American experiments - e.g. Russian guy with crazy hair turning on lights with his mind, people with tons of wires attached to their heads trying to manipulate where marble sized ball bearing would land in a giant pachinko type of contraption.

I recall one segment wherein a man who claimed telekinetic powers talked about how he moved a chess piece with his mind in front of a pile of witnesses. Obviously, since there is no footage of this, the brilliant creators of the show decided that the best way to illustrate his spooky powers is to quickly zoom in and out of his face and then do the same for a chess piece.

Thus, fresh from hearing stupid anachronistic "facts" like "humans only use 10% of their brains," I was convinced that clearly my special snowflake brain can develop powers by the force of will alone. So in an attempt to awaken my latent powers, I placed a plastic pepper shaker on the kitchen table and put a glass cake lid on top of it. And proceeded to stare at it for 45 minutes trying to make the pepper shaker move.

I realized a few things that afternoon:

1. Unfortunately my kitchen table had one of those red/white checkerboard gingham picnic blankets as a cover and staring at a stark contrast pattern like that for 45 minutes can do really weird things with your eyes - "I swear it moved!" types of moments were happening.

2. I really wished I had siblings to punch me when I spent lots of time doing stupid crap like that.

3. I don't have super powers.

ah well.

lucythenomad
Mar 6, 2012
Never met anyone who wanted to form energy balls, but I knew one girl who claimed to be an "energy vampire". She had a lot of crazy friends who bought into this. She'd lay her hands on them and they'd claim that they'd feel her sucking their energy out. This was really bizarre, especially since she was very pretty, had a lot of non-crazy friends as well, had a good job as a hotel manager and was, overall, a fun, insightful and intelligent person to talk to as long as you didn't get her started on the energy vampire crap. Some people are so pathetic that it's obvious why they cling to delusions like that, but with this girl, I was at a loss for explanations. She eventually moved to another city to become an air hostess and cut contact with all of her former friends. I have no idea what's become of her.

I also met one dude who claimed he could delay the effects of alcohol with his mind. The goth scene is full of crazies.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Goodness Gracious, Great Balls of Fire

Ah yes. Denise did the energy ball thing, too, and how. One of her favourite pastimes, of which there were many, was discussion of how she was a Fire Dragon and how awesome that made her at everything. She claimed she needed to make fire energy every day or the need would consume her and she would become aggressive.

Being into what's been described to me as animism, and peruser of some Asian philosophies and zodiac I am familiar with the concepts of elements, and hey, I like to think that people do ascribe more to one element or the other. I have always thought that that sort of thing is for guidance and helping you to learn about yourself and understand the ways you view things. I've never thought it means you can kameha-meha your way to glory by producing real life fireballs on your way to being the Third Key for the Seventh Gate to Rebirth the Earth or something though.

Something I thought up a while ago was one of the few things Denise and I agreed on in spiritual matters as she decreed my element was air. This is something I can agree with for a number of reasons -- but the least and also the saddest of which is perhaps my unwitting and unwilling enabling of the 'Fire Elemented' Denise for so long. Air feeds Fire, after all, right? :3:

After her declaration, which was made by her staring at a match until it burned out (evidently consulting the great and wise spirit of Diamond Strike) she then spent a bunch of time saying how air was the weakest element because it totally can't make awesome flame balls like she can and how it's so insubstantial. When I would disagree with her on things, she would sometimes blame my air-elementedness for my inability to commit to the cause. Mkay.

She demonstrated her total-pyrokinesis-you-guys by lighting a few candles and staring at them. When a flame flickered, grew, or moved, she claimed credit. When I asked her to bend the flames into an arc, she said she wouldn't deign to do such a menial task as I just couldn't appreciate her level of mastery.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

I have not slept at all last night and I've just begun work this morning. This thread has been set back on track, and I know today is going to be a wonderful day.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

uglynoodles posted:

Goodness Gracious, Great Balls of Fire

Ah yes. Denise did the energy ball thing, too, and how. One of her favourite pastimes, of which there were many, was discussion of how she was a Fire Dragon and how awesome that made her at everything. She claimed she needed to make fire energy every day or the need would consume her and she would become aggressive.

Being into what's been described to me as animism, and peruser of some Asian philosophies and zodiac I am familiar with the concepts of elements, and hey, I like to think that people do ascribe more to one element or the other. I have always thought that that sort of thing is for guidance and helping you to learn about yourself and understand the ways you view things. I've never thought it means you can kameha-meha your way to glory by producing real life fireballs on your way to being the Third Key for the Seventh Gate to Rebirth the Earth or something though.

Something I thought up a while ago was one of the few things Denise and I agreed on in spiritual matters as she decreed my element was air. This is something I can agree with for a number of reasons -- but the least and also the saddest of which is perhaps my unwitting and unwilling enabling of the 'Fire Elemented' Denise for so long. Air feeds Fire, after all, right? :3:

After her declaration, which was made by her staring at a match until it burned out (evidently consulting the great and wise spirit of Diamond Strike) she then spent a bunch of time saying how air was the weakest element because it totally can't make awesome flame balls like she can and how it's so insubstantial. When I would disagree with her on things, she would sometimes blame my air-elementedness for my inability to commit to the cause. Mkay.

She demonstrated her total-pyrokinesis-you-guys by lighting a few candles and staring at them. When a flame flickered, grew, or moved, she claimed credit. When I asked her to bend the flames into an arc, she said she wouldn't deign to do such a menial task as I just couldn't appreciate her level of mastery.

I would have used my air powers to blow out her candles. But I'm mean like that.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Okay, I figure this thread might need a little more stories added in it and hell, I have a couple, so here goes nothing.

The Craft for Kids

In the middle school I used to go to, there was a big to-do about people with "gifts." Strangely enough, the rumors weren't coming from the weirdos or the goth/emo kids in the school, no, these were from legitimately popular people. The head of this great facade was a dude I'll refer to as Moctezuma (he had a very long, fancy Spanish name). He was a very tall fellow, kinda looked like a Hispanic Ichabod Crane, who was part of the soccer team and had puberty hit super early, so his voice was very deep and his skin was fortunately clear. This made him top of the food chain at our middle school and the voice helped get his message out. It was very easy for him to say he practiced Santeria (witchcraft with a dash of Catholicism) and was a fire element, so nobody mess with him. Slowly, but surely, he got the other one other girl, a volleball player I'll refer to as Melissa and two guys, one his short soccer lackey named Juan and another his cousin, Cuauhtemoc (fancy names were in the family I guess) to take part in this, saying the girl was wood, and the other two were metal and earth. They were missing one more element and who was the lucky girl called on to help them?

I get a call in the middle of the night from an unknown number. I pick it up and right away, I realize it's Moctezuma. I'd know that deep tone anywhere. Worried, because I didn't want my parents to know I was talking to a boy, I unplugged the other phone and went outside to talk.

:devil: "Pan Dulce, you have been called upon today by forces higher than thou knowest."
:j: "Moctezuma?"
:devil: "Yeeeeeesssss. It is I! I'm not here on a social matter. You see, I have been gathering those around me whom I know are... different. Special. You, my dear, are one of us"
:j: " What."
:devil: "Yes, you see, we, including you, make up the pentagram. The five imbued with powers from their respective elements. I have searched throughout this plane and have seen YOU... (at this point, he punctuates with a sucked in gasp of importance) ...as my final element. Water."
:j: "Okay. What does that mean about me?"
:devil: "That means with time and practice, you can awaken THE POWER WITHIN. Every ability concerning water will be at your beck and call. Together with the others, we could RULE. Do you agree?"
--Mind you, at the time I'm climbing up the social ladder, having just made dance team and wanted to keep the popularity bit going, so...--
:j: "Sure. Listen, I've got to go, if my parents catch me talking to you, they're gonna get pissed! Talk to you tomorrow?"
:devil: "Of course mon cher. Of course." (at this point he sounds as smarmy as the cat that ate the canary, which rankled me for some reason)
:j: "Kay- (THUNDER BOOMS and it starts to drizzle)"
:devil: "The contract is confirmed!"

And with that, he hangs up the phone and I'm left wondering what the hell I'd just gotten myself into as I rush back into my house to avoid ruining our cordless phone.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Welp, I'm eager to hear more about this Preppy Popular Pentagram of yours. I'm fascinated by a school hierarchy not led by Hollister shirts and Axe body spray.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Fire, stanky rear end Axe spray, they're practically the same thing.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

quote:

Having “other-limbs” can sometimes be problematic, both mentally and physically. As a being with these extra appendages, I tend to experience life a little differently.

“Other-limbs” is a term I use to describe what others would call “phantom limbs.” But my limbs are not arms, nor legs. No, my limbs are wings. Bird wings, like a chickadee’s, to be precise. I tend to feel sensations of bird legs and talons/feet, but this essay is specifically about my wings.

These wings are unseen and unfelt by other beings. I am the only one who can feel them. I feel the two perfectly spaced points where they join my body, I can feel my wing tips that end at the same length as my wrists. I can feel them flap, and stretch, and fold up flat against my back when someone stands too close. I always assumed I would be the only one who could feel them, who could know for sure that they were there.

Until my partner felt them. Taka and I were wandering a grocery store, being childish and silly, and generally behaving in a manner that would make most adults purse their thin lips in vinegared disgust. I decided to smack his shoulder with my wing when he wasn’t looking, just for fun. I concentrated and focused on my left wing, nudging him with it.

“Hey!” His surprised utterance made me jump.

“You…felt something?”

“Yeah, it felt like something hit me…!”

I couldn’t contain my excitement when he motioned to the exact place that I had nudged him with my wing. ”They do exist! They are real!” I explained to him what I had done.

Now, on occasion, I will give him a nudge and he will turn to me and smile.

My wings are real.
http://littlefeatherheart.tumblr.com/post/23334357835/they-do-exist-an-essay-on-other-limbs-by-meribel

I wonder if the partner is just crazy or if he's doing this because he wants to encourage her insanity for some reason or what.

e: or maybe he's not real and she's making everything up, who knows...

Redeadagain
Jan 10, 2009

this shall be
humorous
Never doubt the attention some dudes will give their disillusioned partners.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
The F Plus episode about 2D love documents the male side of the phenomenon.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

the kawaiiest posted:

http://littlefeatherheart.tumblr.com/post/23334357835/they-do-exist-an-essay-on-other-limbs-by-meribel

I wonder if the partner is just crazy or if he's doing this because he wants to encourage her insanity for some reason or what.

e: or maybe he's not real and she's making everything up, who knows...

I had a long-distance boyfriend once who claimed he could gently caress me with his astral cock. Being dumb as hell and 15, I would pretend and make sex noises.

Because I was an idiot.

He also was convinced once that all our astral fuckin' had impregnated me, and when I refuted this (because even I, blinded by first love, could not let THAT one go) he told me he had slit his wrists.

yeop

sloth mittens
Jan 15, 2012

You shouldn't have done that, my dear!

InEscape posted:

So I have an embarrassing past to admit: when I was in late middle
School/early high school, I made digital art "avatar" type images for girls who liked to role play as horses online. I was never part of the rp communities, just the art ones. We took requests and filled them, usually on invisionfree forum-based "studios". Eventually I stopped as I got older and it felt silly and I became hugely embarrassed of that period in my life.

You know what? Seeing these wannabe mangakas make me less embarrassed. Sure it was silly horse art but it was never the hugbox this was. The "studios" had standards you had to meet to work there - and there was a pretty good hierarchy where you'd start at ones with lower expectations and work up. There were classes, real critiques, tutorial sessions and mentorships. Sure there was teenage girl drama and sure it was all about horses in the end but we learned to take and apply criticism, we learned to respect intellectual property rights and create our own work, and we learned to be proud of working hard and constantly aspire to be better. And some of the girls who stuck with it who are in their mid-twenties now are really goddamn good with photoshop.

This is from a few pages ago, but I totally did this, too!

Is it weird to ask what studios you "worked" at?

--

Also, I have a few stories about a girl I went to high school wish who thought a character from Inuyasha was sending her love notes, but whenever I try to write it, it comes out sounding stupid. Apparently I am not a dynamic storyteller like uglynoodles.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Redeadagain posted:

Never doubt the attention some dudes will give their disillusioned partners.

I imagine it's just a matter of waiting for your crazy other half to make a face like they're constipated out of nowhere.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

sloth mittens posted:

This is from a few pages ago, but I totally did this, too!

Is it weird to ask what studios you "worked" at?

--

Also, I have a few stories about a girl I went to high school wish who thought a character from Inuyasha was sending her love notes, but whenever I try to write it, it comes out sounding stupid. Apparently I am not a dynamic storyteller like uglynoodles.

Unmm I worked at a bunch, mostly NSHC, and there was a big one before that but I'm spacing on the name. I was around pretty much until NSHC kicked the bucket but I think most of the big names - Ceara, Arrsistable, Pepsi, etc. had moved on to deviantart by then and were mostly doing digital painting. I was InEscape there, too, and Alyosha before that, most people just called me Aly.

I started way back when they were hosted on msn groups boards and none of us had ever heard of "copyright"

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

sloth mittens posted:

Give it your best shot anyway, we're all ears!

RalAegidius
Nov 12, 2004

It's a crow. In a box.

sloth mittens posted:

That's because fundamentally it's a really stupid subject, not because you're no good at telling the story itself. :) Tell us anyway. We're voyeurs to schadenfreude.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

RalAegidius posted:

That's because fundamentally it's a really stupid subject, not because you're no good at telling the story itself. :) Tell us anyway. We're voyeurs to schadenfreude.
Schadenvoyeurs, you might say. (Please don't ever actually say that.)

But yes, let's hear the story.

sloth mittens
Jan 15, 2012

You shouldn't have done that, my dear!
Finally finished writing this.

Sesshoumaru's Penis is a Mag Light

Many a year ago, when I was fresh into high school, manga and anime was not really a big thing where I lived. The days of Naruto headbands and cat ears had not yet passed, and Inuyasha was fresh on Adult Swim, sandwiched between two shows I don't remember, and playing at something like eleven o'clock at night.

Now, my best friend at the time loved anime and manga. I had always been a book nerd, and ended up getting into manga pretty hardcore for a few years. For our first year of high school, we were basically the two of the five people, total, who really knew or cared about anime.

Cue my sophomore year. While anime and manga had not hit our high school hard, apparently it infiltrated the middle school with a vengeance, taking hold of all nerdy and outcast kids. The worst of which was Kay.

Kay was a bit of a stereotype: Tall and wide, and an avid Hot Topic shopper. Now, to be fair, Hot Topic was a BIG THING among us ~outcasts~. I shopped there too. I am not completely innocent. Kay, however, took it far. Men's shirts, and the Tripp pants that could have been cut in half and sewn into skirts for two separate people. She would supplement this wardrobe with generic "asian" looking shirts -- I'm sure you know the type: satin with generic-looking dragons stitched on to them, or "kimono" type things she probably ordered online. Kay was adamant about trying to be Japanese, so much so she roughly dyed her blonde hair black, but neglected to ever touch it up. It gave her a weird, skunky look.

In Kay's quest to become Japanese, she did what she could to abandon the English language. Meaning, wherever she could fit in a Japanese word, she would. She called her parents by the Japanese words for "mother" and "father", and would opening brag about it. "Whenever I'm out with my parents and I want my mother's attention she ALWAYS knows it's me calling out to her." She would later go on to found the school's "Asian Appreciation Club".

Take a moment to let that sink in. Not "Anime Club", not "Otaku Club", "Asian Appreciation Club". Needless to say she made a lot of actual Asians uncomfortable, and I am still baffled by why the school thought this was okay. When she joined the literary magazine she also managed to confound and alienate the entire club, because she submitted erotica fanfiction of the Harry Potter character Snape, and a sexy poem about an Anne Rice vampire. If we hadn't been starving for membership in the later years of the club we would have kicked her out, but as it was when I hit my Junior year we were so desperate for student interest we even let the guy with a pregnancy fetish stay. That is another story entirely.

That, however, was not the worst of Kay. This was not even the tip of the iceberg. Now, Kay was in the same youth group as one of my best friends, and whenever they had a fun outing I was often invited along even though I wasn't part of the church. In one such an outing, I ended up in the same van as Kay. It was there she plopped down next to me before my friend could sit down, and cornered me.

"You like Inuyasha, right?" she demanded.

I nodded. I didn't talk much in high school.

"Well, I have something to tell you, but you have to wait until we're out of the van."

When we got out of the van I unsuccessfully tried to wander over to my friend, but Kay would have none of that. Grabbing my wrist she brought me over to her best friend, who I will call Tree, and they both produced a sheet of wrinkled, folded-up paper from their Tripp pants. On the pages was rough, scribbled pseudo-Japanese.

"These," she said, as though she were showing me the Holy Grail, "are notes from Sesshoumaru and Miroku." For those of you not in the know, those are two Inuyasha characters. One is a white-haired dog (wolf?) demon with a really large fluffy tail, the other is a lecherous monk who has a demon portal on the palm of his hand or something. It's been awhile since I've seen Inuyasha.

She preceded to explain that her and Tree were able to see through the veil between worlds and had come in contact with various Inuyasha characters. They thought I had the power too! Why me, and not any of the other anime fans in the school, to this day I do not know.

At this point I still hadn't said anything to Kay and her friend. Instead, she continued talking. Not only were she and Tree in touch with these characters, but Sesshoumaru and Miroku were in love with them! And those notes? Love notes! Of course I couldn't read them because they were in Ancient Otherworld Japanese, but they could teach me if I wanted!

At this point my dear sweet friend rescued me, and I spent the rest of the year avoiding Kay and Tree. After awhile they declared themselves mistaken about me, and never mentioned it again -- to me or anyone. Not a word was heard for two years, until one day Kay's older brother came to school with story about how he heard Kay yelling and went to see if she was okay. It was there he discovered her sitting at the family computer having "otherworld sex" with Sesshoumaru. She did this by masturbating with a mag light, and yelling sexy things to her "Sessy-sama".

... yup.

Later that year she would show off her Harry Potter yaoi Deviant Art account to an art teacher. The news spread fast, and by the evening not only had everyone seen pictures of Snape reeming Harry, but we also knew that she apparently blatantly plagiarized from some other artist, because a few hours after the word hit she was banned from DA for plagiarism.

A few months later I would graduate and didn't hear from her again, until she showed up at my community college. There she submitted more erotica to the literary magazine, and would show up to our poetry event where she made her way to a microphone and told a rather bleak and poorly-written story about trying to dig up her dead younger brother. She also looked exactly the same as high school, except even bigger. Since then, I haven't heard a thing about her.

So, naturally, I ended up looking her up on Facebook, and found out good and bad things. The good? Tree has dropped behaving like Kay, no longer watches anime, and is engaged. She seems really happy. The bad? Kay has gone off the deep end. She has "otaku" in her facebook name, and her tumblr/deviant art accounts have usernames implying she's married to some fandom poo poo. She has also decided she is now "beyond gender" and is changing her name to some stereotypical masculine name "as soon as she can" (never).

The end?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

sloth mittens posted:

but as it was when I hit my Junior year we were so desperate for student interest we even let the guy with a pregnancy fetish stay. That is another story entirely.
Not to belittle the current story, but you can't just leave a worm on the hook like that, and expect us not to bite.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Yeah, tell us about pregnancy fetish guy. You were a little hard on yourself. Story was pretty entertaining and a little disturbing too so I'm totally up for hearing another one. Its stuff like that which makes me thankful I've only run into the average anime fans who just really like Homestuck, Hetalia yaoi and other internet crap. Of course, I might run into something weird later since I've only just finished grade ten and when I did hang out with weeaboos, I walked away when they started to make me feel uncomfortable.

Or at least they were normal compared to the freaks discussed in this thread. Recently, one girl showed the entire cafeteria table of fedoras and hot topic clothing, a picture of a bug eyed, sparkling, scarf wearing, unrecognizable Draco Malfoy. I asked "Isn't Draco an insensitive prick?" One girl responded "He isn't really a bad person. He just has crappy parents and is good on the inside." I said, "But that doesn't look like Draco. It looks like a girl." "But its sexy!", the one girl in the fedora admitted.

I also went on facebook and one girl had a picture of two anime guys kissing as her profile. Why in god's name would you have that as your profile picture? What kind of impression does she thinks it leaves on people?

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 18, 2012

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Is it sad that the only part of this that my brain went 'What? No way!' over was when DeviantART banned her for tracing?

I feel so broken by the online art community. :smith:

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
The story is fun, and I think Celery Face is right in that you are too hard on yourself. Oh and please post the pregnancy fetish guy.

I have a story about an otaku who went far enough to design a whole test paper on his self-invented field of "study", but that guy is (1)not someone I know and (2)seems to have legitimate mental issue, so I am not sure if it is suitable for sharing here.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oh right, Sesshoumaru the wolf guy. Two years ago, I was watching early Inuyasha episodes (in my defense, I was learning Spanish at the time and it turned out that the Spanish dub of Inuyasha had been uploaded to YouTube in its entirety) and I distinctly remember that the main protagonists were introduced to this character as he was massacring innocent villagers with his wolfpack. What a bad boy, mass murder is so hot.

That show in general is just a bizarre combination of childishness and ultraviolence and I quickly stopped watching it. I've since found out that decent animes do exist, but when I read these stories I'm still glad that anime never really caught on in my country to the extent that it has in North America or France. I only know a few people that read manga on a regular basis, but they are completely normal and sociable and would never even spontaneously talk about it to the rest of us.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
It's kind of interesting seeing how anime fandoms manifest in different countries. In Australia it pretty much started as a niche following during the 90's of which you had to be lucky to find somewhere that sold VHS tapes or bootlegs.
At the most SBS (public TV) occasionally aired something like Neon Genesis which generally clicked people onto the idea that Japanese animation wasn't just Astro Boy or Pokemon and there was more out there.

This of course created a following of fans who fed off every morsel of information, so everyone spent copious amounts on imports from Japan to prove who was the ultimate fan. Existing stuff like Final Fantasy became a hot item as everyone wanted to prove they were into it before it was cool.

It went feral in the early 2000's when the internet kicked in and people were able to realize what was hot poo poo over there and either import it faster or download it for their anime club. This sort of lead to the trickle down effect where people in America would go nuts over Naruto and have it carry over to Australia through osmosis - keeping up with the Jones'.

An anime nut basically prided themselves on their $40+ t-shirt from J-List and how big their anime collection was on their computer, swapping collections or carrying around a printed out list for people to refer to. It basically amounted to a cold war between geeks.

Eventually companies like Madman Entertainment realized there was a market in distributing anime series locally (they now have a 97% market share) boosted by picking up on what fans want or channeling into other fandoms, such as releasing an episode of something in on a PC magazines cover CD, giving away sampler DVDs.

Recently they infamously decided to make a "brony box" which basically was a repackaging of the US release with an added in toy - a rather cunning way to cash in on a fad.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 18, 2012

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yes, I think this sort of thing is very path dependent and a lot of it has to do with specific programming choices made by TV channels in the past. For example, in nineties France, there was a program called Club Dorothée on TF1 which would regularly air anime shows like Invader Lum or City Hunter*. I think it kind of snowballed from there; people became interested in manga/anime, network executives and retailers realized there was a market for it and started promoting the hype, which in turn drew in more people, etc.

Even within the same country there can be differences. Here in Flanders, most (comic) book stores have a manga section, but it's not really a thing the way it is in North America. However, in the French-speaking part of Belgium, people are traditionally oriented towards the French media and are thus much more into anime. Apparently, whenever there's a manga/anime convention in Brussels, most of the visitors are French-speaking.

* Both of which are, despite their weirdness, examples of decent anime series. Bizarrely, City Hunter's protagonist was renamed to Nicky Larson in the French version, even though that's not even a French name as far as I'm aware. I...have no idea why they did this.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

LittleFeatherHeart posted:

“Other-limbs” is a term I use to describe what others would call “phantom limbs.” But my limbs are not arms, nor legs. No, my limbs are wings. Bird wings, like a chickadee’s, to be precise. I tend to feel sensations of bird legs and talons/feet, but this essay is specifically about my wings.

I'm more fascinated by the fact that we apparently have here an Otherkin whose super-awesome and super-special nonhuman form is not a badass dragon or a beautiful angel -- but a chickadee. Doubly so because the Tumbler link seems to be broken.

RalAegidius
Nov 12, 2004

It's a crow. In a box.

Rahonavis posted:

I'm more fascinated by the fact that we apparently have here an Otherkin whose super-awesome and super-special nonhuman form is not a badass dragon or a beautiful angel -- but a chickadee. Doubly so because the Tumbler link seems to be broken.

Otherkin usually fall into the "badass" or "cute" category. I think this is one of the "cute" ones.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

RalAegidius posted:

Otherkin usually fall into the "badass" or "cute" category. I think this is one of the "cute" ones.

I myself will be more tolerant of otherkin when I see ones that aren't something glamorous. Where are the stink-bug otherkin? The sea slug otherkin? Why are there no otherkin vultures?

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
So, I hate to ask.... but does such a think as a Chocobo otherkin exist? I'm fairly certain I have seen people claim to be Moogles, or whatever those little things are called.

Oh god, what if there are Cait Siths? What if they're the FFVII style? Are they the cat, or the stuffed animal part? :psyduck:

RalAegidius
Nov 12, 2004

It's a crow. In a box.

Mad Hamish posted:

I myself will be more tolerant of otherkin when I see ones that aren't something glamorous. Where are the stink-bug otherkin? The sea slug otherkin? Why are there no otherkin vultures?

Well, I happen to think vultures are pretty cool. :colbert:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Attwater's Prairie Chicken otherkin or bust.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm holding out for a double-otherkind-otakukin reacharound. Let's see someone claim they're a reincarnated platypusbear.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

RalAegidius posted:

Well, I happen to think vultures are pretty cool. :colbert:

I too find them pretty rad, but I prefer to call them buzzards. :colbert:

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Phlegmish posted:

Oh right, Sesshoumaru the wolf guy. Two years ago, I was watching early Inuyasha episodes (in my defense, I was learning Spanish at the time and it turned out that the Spanish dub of Inuyasha had been uploaded to YouTube in its entirety) and I distinctly remember that the main protagonists were introduced to this character as he was massacring innocent villagers with his wolfpack. What a bad boy, mass murder is so hot.

I think you're referring to Koga.

:goonsay:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

NOTinuyasha posted:

I think you're referring to Koga.

:goonsay:

Oh, right. Sesshoumaru is the demonic half-brother, Koga is the rear end in a top hat wolf guy. Well, I guess there are worse things one can be wrong about. :v:

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Mad Hamish posted:

I feel really bad for all the noble, beautiful, totally awesome wolves and gryphons and energy-vampires and elves out there haunted by the souls of sad lonely teenagers (it has to go both ways, right?)

I once jokingly made a comment somewhere that if the Otherkin are right, shouldn't we be seeing an awful lot more FruitFlyKin than DragonKin? Unexpectedly, somebody took it seriously and their answer is fried into my brain: *Everyone* had several past lives as flies, ants, slugs, and so forth. But nobody identifies as a FlyKin since your past lives as flies would be too short to make much of an impact on your current personality as a human.

Oh. Okay then. :psyduck:

Wasn't there a thread spun off from this one where a guy tried to explain what being an Otherkin was like? And then it turned out his totally awesome and exciting past life as a dragon was... really short and uninteresting, because the "dragon" was basically the size of a house cat and its planet's equivalent of a small predatory bird?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Rahonavis posted:

I feel really bad for all the noble, beautiful, totally awesome wolves and gryphons and energy-vampires and elves out there haunted by the souls of sad lonely teenagers (it has to go both ways, right?)

I once jokingly made a comment somewhere that if the Otherkin are right, shouldn't we be seeing an awful lot more FruitFlyKin than DragonKin? Unexpectedly, somebody took it seriously and their answer is fried into my brain: *Everyone* had several past lives as flies, ants, slugs, and so forth. But nobody identifies as a FlyKin since your past lives as flies would be too short to make much of an impact on your current personality as a human.

Oh. Okay then. :psyduck:

Wasn't there a thread spun off from this one where a guy tried to explain what being an Otherkin was like? And then it turned out his totally awesome and exciting past life as a dragon was... really short and uninteresting, because the "dragon" was basically the size of a house cat and its planet's equivalent of a small predatory bird?

Yes he was a dragon. And goddamn. This is timely because I feel filthy after making a rein of otherkin jokes.

e. Oh God, wrong thread!

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rahonavis posted:

I know that something like that was how we got :smaug:. And fairly recently, someone tried to make a thread about being one of the "reasonable" people who believe in fictives, or some other such thing.

Ah, Dunning-Kruger effect, will you ever get old?

• Locked thread