Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That sucks about Prism that actually turned out to be pretty good, and thanks Baron Snow for reminding me of Bonnouji, I started reading that and I liked it but apparently forgot to bookmark it so it had completely slipped my mind.

I read it around the same time as Cherry, another Seinen romance story that I thought likely to be stupid and smutty (I gave it a shot simply because the scan group also does Kimi ni Todoke) about a small town guy who runs off to Tokyo with a cute girl who is escaping being forced into an arranged marriage. There is some drama and a lot of comedy mixed together, hopefully it can stay as good as it's been so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

partipo
Sep 24, 2005
participaction?

Baron Snow posted:

Tired of angsty teens?
I present, Bonnouji!

Our main character Ozawa (age 26) has broken up with her boyfriend of many years, and ends up drunkenly stumbling to the apartment of Oyamada who lives in the same building as her. His apartment is full of strange crap his brother sends him. It's a cute story, and I like the fact that it's a story about adults that isn't some hentai nonsense.

It's really cute. It flows really easily and lightly, like a kid's manga, but it obviously isn't. It's not as heavy as some josei stuff, yet. I've been out of anime/manga for a while so this is a nice way to ease back in. Thanks for the recommendation!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Baron Snow posted:

Tired of angsty teens?
I present, Bonnouji!

Our main character Ozawa (age 26) has broken up with her boyfriend of many years, and ends up drunkenly stumbling to the apartment of Oyamada who lives in the same building as her. His apartment is full of strange crap his brother sends him. It's a cute story, and I like the fact that it's a story about adults that isn't some hentai nonsense.
This is really great! Things are moving at a good pace, I can only imagine what it will bring as time goes on. Hopefully it doesn't wind up being too short.

coathat
May 21, 2007

New Oresama Teacher. Finally, it asks the hard hitting questions. What can you do on a school trip besides getting into fight?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Nate RFB posted:

This is really great! Things are moving at a good pace, I can only imagine what it will bring as time goes on. Hopefully it doesn't wind up being too short.

No kidding, it's really great. Light and funny without all the school drama bullshit. The first panel on this chapter 12 (spoilers) page cracked me the hell up.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Add me to the list of people who like Bonnouji.

Can anyone recommend something like it?

coathat
May 21, 2007

The_Frag_Man posted:

Add me to the list of people who like Bonnouji.

Can anyone recommend something like it?

Unchanging Days by the same mangaka, Aki Eda. It's only four chapters long, but it has the best climax.
http://dynasty-scans.com/reader/authors/aki_eda

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Hah, thanks for the link! I've seen the first 10 chapters or so of the chapter posted in /a/ (the only good thing is their manga dump) and remember being impressed by it. It is just really, really cute.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Ohh yeah, I remembered another manga that gave off Bonnouji vibes.

14-sai no Koi

A story about two unusually mature young people. They are both smart, very together and they are in love. But, as grown-up as they act, they are still just 14 and their feelings for each other are captured with tenderness and lack of nostalgia, but very cutely.

coathat
May 21, 2007

And moving away from lovely happy things. Yall should be reading A Cruel God Reigns.

A Cruel God Reigns portrays the tale of two step-brothers - Jeremy and Ian, as they strive to discover their separate paths towards redemption.
Jeremy, a sensitive but out-going 17-year-old, is delighted to hear the news of his neurotic and excitable mother's remarriage to a wealthy British man. However, much to his horror, his sweet-talking new step-father Greg, soon begins to exhibit a disturbing trait...he is a sadistic pedophile and loses no time in making Jeremy his target. Months of horrific, systematic abuse drives Jeremy to desperation; and he sabotages his step-father's car with the hope of eliminating him. The resulting accident, however, kills his mother along with Greg.
Winner of the first Osamu Tezuka Cultural Prize Award for Excellence.

It's a great manga with some wonderful Year 24 Group art from Hagio Moto. Also baring any problems it should be getting daily updates, so that's definite plus.

nothings
Sep 29, 2008
Doesn't sound very shoujo-y or romantic.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
So, you guys got my hopes up. It's been more than 2 months, and no new chapters of Aoi Hana. I'm very angry. I want blood.

However, that 14-sai no Koi sounds good. Gonna spend my morning reading it when I should be sleeping.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
New Chapter of Tonari no Kaibutsu: http://www.mangahere.com/manga/tonari_no_kaibutsu_kun/

coathat
May 21, 2007

Haru is the best. :allears:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

quaunaut posted:

So, you guys got my hopes up. It's been more than 2 months, and no new chapters of Aoi Hana. I'm very angry. I want blood.

However, that 14-sai no Koi sounds good. Gonna spend my morning reading it when I should be sleeping.

It's only been a month since 45.
It's still too long:cry:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My Girl has finally been updated with three new chapters. I wonder what'll happen in'em. :allears:

edit: these scanlations for the last few chapters are kinda rough, but I'll tolerate'em because more My Girl!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 18, 2012

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Anyone here read Usotsuki Lily?

I passed by it for so long because the summary always read as something, well, bad... but it's actually extremely funny.

The author makes breaking the fourth wall into an extreme artform. It's almost beautiful.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I just read through Ginen Shounen and it's pretty good.

The main character suddenly gains the ability to take shots of the future and he suddenly sees his childhood friend, who he is in love with, kissing another dude. So, he decides to man up and try to change the future.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

OneDeadman posted:

I just read through Ginen Shounen and it's pretty good.

The main character suddenly gains the ability to take shots of the future and he suddenly sees his childhood friend, who he is in love with, kissing another dude. So, he decides to man up and try to change the future.

I don't know why, but when you said childhood friend I assumed it was a guy for some reason, and I got super excited.

Are there any manga that do gay romance in at least a semi-competent way? I love good stories about LGBT people.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I was going to suggest Wandering Son and Aoi Hana, but it turns out your first post in this very thread was about those! Have you read Love My Life? It's about a woman who finds out that her dad is also gay and has been hiding it from her her whole life.

New chapter of Kimi ni Todoke (s2s' version) is out: still not sure what the heck is going on with Sawako and Kazehaya; I'm kind of bummed out they're struggling with what should be a fun, sweet young romance. But, there's pretty big stuff going on with Chizu and Ryu, I totally thought he was going to kiss her right there! :3:

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Did anyone know that there's a sequel to Please Save My Earth?

It's the story of (Original PSME Spoilers)Rin and Alice's 7 year old son Ren and his connection to Shion and Mokuren. Set 16 years after the original series, it's mostly Ren's adventures with his friends, but we get to see most of the old cast in bits and pieces.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about

a kitten posted:

I was going to suggest Wandering Son and Aoi Hana, but it turns out your first post in this very thread was about those! Have you read Love My Life? It's about a woman who finds out that her dad is also gay and has been hiding it from her her whole life.

Haha yes, I'm trans and Wandering Son is my favorite manga of all time, so it's a given I read Aoi Hana :3:

Thank you for that, it was absolutely adorable!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Wasn't please save my earth the one where the girl ends up with a 12 year old boy?

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

gobbledygoat posted:

Are there any manga that do gay romance in at least a semi-competent way? I love good stories about LGBT people.

Depends on what exactly you're looking for. Honey & Honey is an autobiographical lesbian comedy manga, so it's pretty interesting in that you get to hear a bit about places like Shinjuku Ni-choume, Tokyo's major gay district. That said it's not quite a romance series.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Takemiya Jin is pretty great. Her anthology, Love Flicker, doesn't really tread much new ground, but her characters definitely have a lot of personality, as does her art style. Her other work, Fragments of Love, isn't quite a romance series at the moment, but it's a great LGBT-focused work.

There's also Girlfriends, which already has five volumes out on JManga and is getting a two-part release by Seven Seas by the end of this year. It's Milk Morigana's best work, although prepare yourself for a lot of 'will they?/won't they?'.

Other than that, I recommend keeping an eye on Rakuen (Le Paradis). It get's at least one or two lesbian-focused works in each volume, and they've all been relatively free of a lot of the things that bog down most yuri series. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few great series come from it.

BrilliantFool
Jan 23, 2007

Bravo.
Are you guys looking for guys falling in love with each other too? It's not really yaoi (I guess it would fall more under shounen ai) but Seven Days is a short and sweet series that I enjoyed quite a bit, despite it not being my usual cup of tea. The same artist also draws for The Sleepy Residents of Birdcage Manor, which is a romance between an artist and his female model. I'm not really good at describing the premises of the series, but they're both worth checking out.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about

Thank you both those are perfect! I've just read through Honey & Honey, it was very sweet. I read Girlfriends only days ago, it was sweet but my god were the MCs oblivious. It was pretty painful at times.

And yeah, Gay men are awesome too, I'm looking for all LGBT romances :v:

GUITAR VILLAIN
Jan 27, 2008

I have come here to play guitar and kick ass... and I'm all outta strings.
I took up the recommendation to read Bonnouji. Good stuff! I'm liking how the characters don't take themselves too seriously, and that they have fun with the absurdity of the many goods that Oyamada's brother sends them. The romantic plot is nice and cute without being heavy-handed. I'm enjoying this one.

I recently read through Spicy Pink, which was written by the same author as Marmalade Boy. I get the feeling there might be a little self-insertion going on, as it's about a female shoujo manga artist. Said character gets dragged to a marriage interview she isn't interested in, and strikes up a tenuous friendship, and eventual romance, with one of the attendees. It's a nice bit of fluff, and manages to sidestep most annoying romance manga tropes (although it stumbles a bit in this regard near the end). Still, I enjoyed it, and finished it through. It's not too long, either, so it is very digestible.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

gobbledygoat posted:

Yasashii Ryuu no Koroshitaka is pretty good. It's in a fantasy setting, and is a fairly standard story aside from two dudes being the main romantic pair. Both guys are fairly badass and have a very intense courtly love sort of thing going on. Also, the one who is particularly badass is also the shorter and younger-looking one, so bonus points for messing about with genre conventions.

Also, most of the major female characters have been pretty cool so far. My major complaint is that the plot seems to be mostly a backdrop to the romance; there's not as much heart put into that direction. It's not terrible, but it is very generic.

Challengers is a fairly adorable story about an insecure salaryman and a dippy grad student. There's a lot of talking about feelings in it. There's a sequel about a pair of the side characters that is more than a little questionable re: consent issues, but this one is pretty good about respect and boundaries between the main two, they gently caress up occasionally but learn from their mistakes, and there's a few pretty good bits where they sidestep a the expected romantic drama cliches.

No. 6 may or not actually be shoujo enough for this thread. It's got an intense relationship and exploration of feelings between two pretty teenage boys, but it also has a very in-depth plot about an oppressive dystopia, genocide, and parasitic bees. There's also an in-progress translation of the novel it's based on. There's also an anime, which toned down the gay, made the hero a bit more incompetent, added a bunch of scenes with a female love interest (and rearranged one of her existing scenes to make her more of a damsel in distress), and modified the plot events quite a bit in order to make room for all the extra bits. The novel has a lot more introspection than either, which may or may not be your cup of tea.

And as long as I'm reccing things that technically aren't shoujo, Plica is pretty good. It's an autobiography of the everyday life of a modern Japanese lesbian. The art is adorable. The characters are adorable. It's pretty cool to see what it's like being gay in real life over there. It's pretty similar to what it's like in America.

Then there's From Eroica With Love, which I can't find online these days. It started mid-70s and is still going on irregularly. It is as goofy as hell, and mocks both itself constantly. From the look of it, the creator intended it to be more of a romantic action comedy, but completely ditched the three main characters in favor of the antagonist and one of the side characters very early on and then it warped into an action comedy with a lot of sexual tension. There's a flamboyantly gay art thief and an uptight NATO officer and they get tangled up in Cold War era plots while shamelessly trolling each other.

Banana Fish is another one from the 80s with more gangs and gunfire than typically associated with shoujo manga. It's fairly intense in a depressing sort of way. There's drugs, murder, and fairly realistic non-romanticized rape.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Oh hey, there's apparently a Lovely Complex sequel.

http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/love-com%E2%98%85two-r5309

Seems like Risa's little brother is the main character in this one.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

arisu posted:

Guess we know who got all the personality in that family. I don't know if "sulky rear end in a top hat" can carry a series as well as "goofball Amazon", but I'll give it a chance.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm super excited about it, but I'm not sure yet if I'm only feeling that way because it promises glimpses at what Risa is up to. So far her little brother is kind of a jerk, Manabe seems alright though.

It kind of seems like the whole story-arc that I imagine happening was crammed into that one chapter. Definitely thanks for posting it, I had absolutely no idea about it.
------------
Edit to add:
Oh god the AnoHana fancy bonus box set looks awesome.

quote:

Complete Series Premium Bonus Set Includes:
• Premium hardcover slipcase
• 2 Blu-ray, 2 DVD disc set
- Total of 11 episodes
- Approximately 25 mins/episode
- Features original Japanese voice acting
- English subtitles
• Bonus content: Episode 1 clean ending, teasers & commercials, and online episode previews
• "The Super Peace Buster Chronicle,"
a full-color, 38-page hardcover art book (~11" x 7") which provides a deeper experience of anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day with character bios,
scrapbook-style photo selections, an episode guide, rough sketches, illustrations, and more
• Exclusive Bonus Item (while supplies last!)
-"The Shirt We Saw That Day" T-shirt Organizer
- Mirroring the shirt that Jintan wears in the show, it can store all sorts of things, from pens & pencils, to flowers, or even hundred-dollar bills!

Well the t-shirt organizer looks dumb, but whatever.

I'm still saving money because my job blows and job hunting isn't going as well as I had hoped. But I really want it. :ohdear:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 28, 2012

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

a kitten posted:

Oh god the AnoHana fancy bonus box set looks awesome.

All shows from NISA get a premium box set release first, and after a while once they sell out, they switch to normal releases.

Those boxes are really freaking big and will not fit in any normal shelf, but they do look amazing. The Katanagatari sets looked just incredible thanks to the art, and I really like the art on the Kimi Ni Todoke sets as well.

Edit: I should also note, if you order from Rightstuf, AnoHana is already shipping.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!

arisu posted:

Man, it's a shame that Risa's bro seems to have acquired broody shoujo love interest/typical angsty 14-year-old syndrome, considering that the main appeal of Lovely Complex was in the goofball Kansai antics of our protagonists. Guess I'll stick to Oresama Teacher for now.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
New chapter of Bonnoji.

http://www.mangareader.net/bonnouji/21

Holy poo poo, a thing might happen next chapter.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

So, uh, the Aoi Hana anime. It's been licensed. :toot:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:stare:
Well I'll be damned. That's amazingly cool news.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Didn't it sell like poo poo even in Japan? I like the manga, but I felt the anime was fairly slow and anticlimactic so I don't think it'll fare any better overseas. It'd be great if it did, since it raises the chances of more of it being animated, but I wouldn't expect much.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

From what I recall it sold really, terribly poorly; it wouldn't surprise me if it got licensed cheaply just to try to squeeze anything resembling money out of it. It's not the most exciting anime ever, mainly because it's a slow story and it barely gets rolling, but as long as the pricing is reasonable I'll pick it up for sure. It's beautifully drawn and animated and it's super cool that it's getting a release here at all.

I think that Sasameki Koto sold really poorly as well; both of those titles tanking like they did makes it seem unlikely to me that they'll make more of either of them, and also makes me think that the chances of any shows like them being made any time soon are abysmal.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

The Hourou Musuko anime bombed bad enough that you can be certain that nothing of Takako Shimura's will ever be animated again. Probably nothing remotely like her work, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

a kitten posted:

From what I recall it sold really, terribly poorly; it wouldn't surprise me if it got licensed cheaply just to try to squeeze anything resembling money out of it. It's not the most exciting anime ever, mainly because it's a slow story and it barely gets rolling, but as long as the pricing is reasonable I'll pick it up for sure. It's beautifully drawn and animated and it's super cool that it's getting a release here at all.

I think that Sasameki Koto sold really poorly as well; both of those titles tanking like they did makes it seem unlikely to me that they'll make more of either of them, and also makes me think that the chances of any shows like them being made any time soon are abysmal.

It doesn't help that both of these series animes end before, well... the good parts of the story happen at all. Sasameki Koto is especially guilty of this. I didn't really care about that anime at all, but later when I read the manga and actually got further into the main story, it ended up being waaaaaaaaaay better.