Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Duckman2008 posted:

This. In the end just pick which ever phone you think is better. Simple as that.

But I still don't know which phone is better. :ohdear:

Gonna have to go to a store and try both the Nexus and EVO I guess. I am more concerned with future proofing than anything, and though I was set on the Nexus the slower processor speed is beginning to bother me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

But I still don't know which phone is better. :ohdear:

Gonna have to go to a store and try both the Nexus and EVO I guess. I am more concerned with future proofing than anything, and though I was set on the Nexus the slower processor speed is beginning to bother me.

If your comparing the top end phones at least wait for the GS3 to hit stores for a chance to play with it.
Really though you will probably be really happy with whichever you choose. The majority of what you do will be the same experience on both.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

FogHelmut posted:

I've been using the Evo LTE for a few weeks, and the "multitasking issue" really isn't an issue.

The only issues I have is that it tells me that it can't find the current time zone a few times a day, and sometimes I get a keyboard with arrow keys and sometimes I don't.

you should be able to fix the time zone thing popping up if you manually set your timezone in the time/date settings. it tries to get the timezone over gps and if you're indoors usually fails.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FERN GULLY FAN posted:

you should be able to fix the time zone thing popping up if you manually set your timezone in the time/date settings. it tries to get the timezone over gps and if you're indoors usually fails.

Why doesn't it get the time zone over the wireless signal like a normal phone?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Why doesn't it get the time zone over the wireless signal like a normal phone?

I think it does. It only asks me about my time zone when I'm in my basement with no signal.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Is there any reason not to do the Google Voice integration at this point? I wanted to wait it out a bit to make sure nothing strange popped up, but it seems like everything has been pretty smooth. I heard something about MMS issues, but are there any other noteworthy issues?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

WTFBEES posted:

Is there any reason not to do the Google Voice integration at this point? I wanted to wait it out a bit to make sure nothing strange popped up, but it seems like everything has been pretty smooth. I heard something about MMS issues, but are there any other noteworthy issues?

The MMS issue is that it flat out doesn't do MMS. You'll still get them on your phone, you just won't be able to see them or even know they exist from the app or website.

The only real issue I have with Voice is that tech support for Voice is nearly non-existant. If an issue does pop up, there's not much you can do except hope you can figure it out yourself. I had an issue once on my EVO 4G on CM7 where I just stopped receiving text messages and MMS the normal way. I could ONLY get them in GV. I eventually had to flash back to stock and do some stuff I can't remember to get it working again.

To answer your question in a sentence: no, there is no reason not to integrate with GV.

Chaoticwhizz
Feb 24, 2007

WTFBEES posted:

I have been using it myself for nearly a year now and love it. Yes, you don't get MMS or notifications about them through Google Voice. They just show up on your phone the regular way. Google voice does voice to text transcription of voice mail. The results are laughably off at times but usually good enough to get the gist. The most common complaint I get from new people trying GV is having to hit 1 to accept the call. This is a call screening option and can be disabled or you can arrange your contacts in groups and disable if for those groups.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have Google Voice just for the goofy voicemail transcriptions. Otherwise, I use my Sprint number for everything else.

Fist
Sep 16, 2007

Hey dudes, had a crushing blow tonight. Left my gnex at a restaurnat and didn't realize till 3 hours later.

Obviously the current staff couldn't turn it up. I tried that Plan B app with no luck. Didn't send me the email and no response from the follow-up text message.

Now I realize my gently caress-up will cost me, but I'm curious as to how much? I didn't get TEP after 4 years of never having to use it on various phones.

I just got the gnex on pre-order date, so my contract is freshly renewed(sero). So am I looking at paying full price if I want the phone again, does some where else sell it cheaper that will allow me to activate it on my current plan?

Such a lovely feeling :shrug:

Major sucks = losing pictures of my kid, having to re-do Astrid, doggcatcher. gently caress
*edit and oh yeah the possibility of spending 500$

Fist fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 17, 2012

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

Fist posted:

Major sucks = losing pictures of my kid,
I've got dropbox installed on my phone mostly for that reason. Pictures and video automatically get copied to your dropbox account. Not that it helps you now, of course.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Fist posted:

Hey dudes, had a crushing blow tonight. Left my gnex at a restaurnat and didn't realize till 3 hours later.

Obviously the current staff couldn't turn it up. I tried that Plan B app with no luck. Didn't send me the email and no response from the follow-up text message.

Now I realize my gently caress-up will cost me, but I'm curious as to how much? I didn't get TEP after 4 years of never having to use it on various phones.

I just got the gnex on pre-order date, so my contract is freshly renewed(sero). So am I looking at paying full price if I want the phone again, does some where else sell it cheaper that will allow me to activate it on my current plan?

Such a lovely feeling :shrug:

Major sucks = losing pictures of my kid, having to re-do Astrid, doggcatcher. gently caress
*edit and oh yeah the possibility of spending 500$

Don't/didn't have "where's my droid" installed?

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Alright, you guys sold me on Google Voice. I'll just click this option here, answer the verification call and then we're all...

Oh. Well nevermind then.

EDIT: Google has changed it's mind and now it works. This is pretty rad.

WTFBEES fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 17, 2012

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

WTFBEES posted:

I like having two separate numbers/mailboxes for different functions.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

So more Google Voice fun. It seems something has broken overnight and Google has completely forgotten my number. The option to add a number is back just like it was to start with. So I go through that process all the way up to the call verification, but my phone never rings.

It turns out that my number now goes nowhere at all. Texts and calls can't be sent or received. This should be fun.

EDIT AGAIN: I'm dumb. It turns out you need the Google Voice app to make it all work. Here I was thinking it was integrated with Android. I'm going to just stop posting about this now.

WTFBEES fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 17, 2012

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003
Is the buy out your contract to upgrade offer still open? I thought it ended in April, but then just saw people talking about it. I'm on EPRP and the line I'm interested in is up in August.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

You can't early upgrade on EPRP.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Matlock posted:

You can't early upgrade on EPRP.

Is that a new thing? I did it in February.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Alright, now this is a weird question. My dad is on my EPRP family line with an iPhone. He recently took it abroad with him to Brazil and is enjoying the unlocked international capabilities. It looks like he may be staying there indefinitely now. If we end his line and pay the ETF will he still be able to leep using his phone down there or will they disable it or something? If my sister wanted his slot on the family plan could we just buy a new phone off contract and let him keep using the unlocked SIMs down there?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is that a new thing? I did it in February.

Multiple reps have flat out told me I couldn't do it, due to the discount rate.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Matlock posted:

Multiple reps have flat out told me I couldn't do it, due to the discount rate.

Which line did you call?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

general chaos posted:

Alright, now this is a weird question. My dad is on my EPRP family line with an iPhone. He recently took it abroad with him to Brazil and is enjoying the unlocked international capabilities. It looks like he may be staying there indefinitely now. If we end his line and pay the ETF will he still be able to leep using his phone down there or will they disable it or something? If my sister wanted his slot on the family plan could we just buy a new phone off contract and let him keep using the unlocked SIMs down there?

They can't disable a phone just because you leave, the worst they would do it block it from sprint if you didn't pay the termination fee. He can use it down there no problems, and yes you could buy a new phone off contract.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Waited until I could play with an HTC EVO 4GLTE before making up my mind between it and the Samsung Galaxy S III. The EVO is a sweet little phone, but not enough to make me over-look the non-removable battery. The extra ram should help future-proof the GS3 too, since I buy phones once every 5 years or so. I just pre-ordered today, so I hope Sprint gets enough phones to send it to me this week. Fingers crossed!

I'm upgrading from an LG Lotus (one of the original purple ones) and can hardly wait.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Which line did you call?

1-888-876-8381

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Matlock posted:

1-888-876-8381

I called retentions at 877-775-4886, they forwarded me to another department that may or may not be the one you called, and they gave me no hassle. It's possible they've changed their policy since then though.

P.S. Duckman, your Boost Mobile number in the OP has one digit too many.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I called retentions at 877-775-4886, they forwarded me to another department that may or may not be the one you called, and they gave me no hassle. It's possible they've changed their policy since then though.

P.S. Duckman, your Boost Mobile number in the OP has one digit too many.

Yeah, I have to update the OP. They killed that retentions number fyi, which made me weep. I thought I had one, but so far no dice.

If anyone actually finds a legit retentions number, please post it.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Is it possible for SERO accounts to take advantage of that Best Buy $50 gift card offer with the HTC Evo 4g LTE? I'm due for an upgrade and I'd like to get the best deal on that phone.

If there's another "deal" on getting the phone other than just straight up purchasing it through Sprint, any help would be appreciated.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Hello Moto.

quote:

What looks at first like a Droid 4 with the edges rounded off instead looks to be a completely new creation that has the same buttonless front face plus Android 4.0 combo as the rumored Droid RAZR HD. Other than a Sprint Music app icon giving away the phone's ultimate destination, though, we know little else...

BrownThunder posted:

Is it possible for SERO accounts to take advantage of that Best Buy $50 gift card offer with the HTC Evo 4g LTE? I'm due for an upgrade and I'd like to get the best deal on that phone.

If there's another "deal" on getting the phone other than just straight up purchasing it through Sprint, any help would be appreciated.
SERO users don't get to take advantage of cool deals. Remember that. No, you can't go to Best Buy. No, you can't get a phone for a penny at Amazon Wireless. No no no.
But you do get to save a lot on your bill every month!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I saw one of these in person. Non-removable back and battery, micro SD slot on the side. Some kind of dual core processor. The About screen said it was a Motorola XT897. And Quadrant scores were high.

And that's about all I know.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I really hope that slider doesn't suck. I've been waiting too long for something like that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

WTFBEES posted:

I turned it off a few months ago because I had a lot of issues with text messages being received days late. I retained the voicemail, though.

choonagephatbeat
Mar 8, 2012
I have read that people are having a bit of trouble here and there with delayed txt/phone calls.. but I have yet to come across a solution.

I just switched over to sprint from verizon and got the Galaxy S 2. The first month poo poo was rocking and I was pleased about the move. Now... not so much :( :(

My phone is literally ruining my life right now. My gf thinks I am cheating on her and we are about to break up. My job is about to fire me becuase when I am on call, nobody can ever reach me. My folks think I am suicidal and in a deep depression becuase I never pick up the phone or get their calls/txts - and thats the exact problem.. I never DO get calls, a VM icon will just randomly show up and when I call back they always tell me "dude i left that message like 6 hours ago". Txts come about 20% of the time, and when they do its usually 2-3 days later.

I took the phone into the sprint store with a tech and an hour later the guy says "there is nothing wrong with your phone, let me show you this computer screen that has 3 green lights on all the tests we run" I was loving livid. Told him everything above.. and asked him why I would just come in claim my phone doesn't work when hes telling me it obviously does. He had no solutions and told me to go talk to the manager from the store I got it at. The manager at the said store I got it at told me to go talk to the technician at the store I came from. Nobody wants to own the problem and help. The reasons I left verizon after 10 years are now turning into sprint after 3 months.

I have been taken off the network and put back on, updated the PRL once a week now it seems, and still nothing. I dont have phone insurance becuase I take good care of my phones, I didn't expect to need it to cover a possibly faulty product? My best buddy lives across the street from me in downtown and hes on sprint and has 0 problems.

Seems my only solution is to pay 35 bucks to get it replaced correct? The replacement is not even new is it not? Just some refurb? Why did I pay for a new phone that doesn't work just to now pay more money to get a used phone that once didn't work? This is not adding up... can anyone help with any advice.. becuase the 4 trips to the actual sprint store hasn't gotten me anywhere :(

choonagephatbeat fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 18, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Is it only happening at home? How good/bad of a signal do you have at home? You might need an airrave.

choonagephatbeat
Mar 8, 2012
Happens everywhere, which is leading me to believe it is the phone. I was in Minneapolis the past 6 days and had the "texts never arriving" syndrome in full effect.

My signal at home is usually quite nice, 4-6 bars consistent, hovering between -60 and -80 dBm

I currently live in downtown denver.

choonagephatbeat fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 19, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

choonagephatbeat posted:

Happens everywhere, which is leading me to believe it is the phone. I was in Minneapolis the past 6 days and had the "texts never arriving" syndrome in full effect.

My signal at home is usually quite nice, 4-6 bars consistent, hovering between -60 and -80 dBm

I currently live in downtown denver.

PM me your last name and phone number, I'm in store tomorrow and can at least get you a service trender report, which is a newer program I can run that at least shows me what your call quality has been and it guesses at whether it's the network or the phone. Unfortunately I don't get any solutions from it per say, but I can at least confirm it for you.

I have one or two other ideas I can discuss over PM too, or actually email at jimplaysdrums at gmail.com.

Last I checked tech centers have the ability to exchange an epic touch for a photon (I would have to double check). I honestly rarely recommend that as the epic touch is usually the better phone, but the Photon has very high signal ratings. Consensus from others on this idea?

As a temporary solution, try setting up google voice integration, beyond having better voicemail than sprint you can have it send a notification of voicemails via email, which helps put a safety to make sure you get voicemails on time.

Call the signal booster number from the OP and get a signal booster. It's free.

Think of it this way, my phone keeps me tied to work 24/7, I wish I was dropping calls like that sometimes :) best wishes dude, regardless of what happens it will turn out ok.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

choonagephatbeat posted:

I have read that people are having a bit of trouble here and there with delayed txt/phone calls.. but I have yet to come across a solution.

I just switched over to sprint from verizon and got the Galaxy S 2. The first month poo poo was rocking and I was pleased about the move. Now... not so much :( :(

My phone is literally ruining my life right now. My gf thinks I am cheating on her and we are about to break up. My job is about to fire me becuase when I am on call, nobody can ever reach me. My folks think I am suicidal and in a deep depression becuase I never pick up the phone or get their calls/txts - and thats the exact problem.. I never DO get calls, a VM icon will just randomly show up and when I call back they always tell me "dude i left that message like 6 hours ago". Txts come about 20% of the time, and when they do its usually 2-3 days later.

I took the phone into the sprint store with a tech and an hour later the guy says "there is nothing wrong with your phone, let me show you this computer screen that has 3 green lights on all the tests we run" I was loving livid. Told him everything above.. and asked him why I would just come in claim my phone doesn't work when hes telling me it obviously does. He had no solutions and told me to go talk to the manager from the store I got it at. The manager at the said store I got it at told me to go talk to the technician at the store I came from. Nobody wants to own the problem and help. The reasons I left verizon after 10 years are now turning into sprint after 3 months.

I have been taken off the network and put back on, updated the PRL once a week now it seems, and still nothing. I dont have phone insurance becuase I take good care of my phones, I didn't expect to need it to cover a possibly faulty product? My best buddy lives across the street from me in downtown and hes on sprint and has 0 problems.

Seems my only solution is to pay 35 bucks to get it replaced correct? The replacement is not even new is it not? Just some refurb? Why did I pay for a new phone that doesn't work just to now pay more money to get a used phone that once didn't work? This is not adding up... can anyone help with any advice.. becuase the 4 trips to the actual sprint store hasn't gotten me anywhere :(

poo poo, I thought my Samsung experience was bad with the Epic 4G. Do you put your phone in an RF blocking bag or something? I live in a semi-underground apartment and have absolutely no issues like this, despite having drat near no signal at home and needing to use Wifi to prevent my battery from getting murdered.

I'm using a GNex though, may be the difference.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Does anybody know what kind of LED the SGS3 has? I was sorely disappointed with the red/blue LED in the SGS2 so I'm hoping this one has more color options.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does anybody know what kind of LED the SGS3 has? I was sorely disappointed with the red/blue LED in the SGS2 so I'm hoping this one has more color options.

I believe its an RGB like the Galaxy Nexus. That's going off memory of some pre-release specs and I could be wrong.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

Call the signal booster number from the OP and get a signal booster. It's free.

Think of it this way, my phone keeps me tied to work 24/7, I wish I was dropping calls like that sometimes :) best wishes dude, regardless of what happens it will turn out ok.

Is that an actual signal booster like a Wilson? Or is it the Airave? I've heard nothing but trouble about the Airaves (text messages not coming through, etc).

I've got dead zones in my house. I've been waiting for NV to improve things but it is becoming unbearable. I often can hear the caller just fine but they can't hear me, then the tower drops the call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ender.uNF posted:

Is that an actual signal booster like a Wilson? Or is it the Airave? I've heard nothing but trouble about the Airaves (text messages not coming through, etc).

I've got dead zones in my house. I've been waiting for NV to improve things but it is becoming unbearable. I often can hear the caller just fine but they can't hear me, then the tower drops the call.

Air rave. And it's had an issue or two, but overll I would recommend it. It's free, I have one and mine works fine as well. And if you have texting problems, switch to google voice integration that gets text messages through the Internet and that will fix the problem.

Don't wait for NV for something that's free now.