Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He listens to Isit with attentive ears as he focuses his gaze on the the odd marking that Dolan draws on the ground, still very much fascinated by how the dwarf's spells are actually made. "Given your description of how eager they seemed for an alliance, I doubt they will risk bringing further harm to you with this antidote." Reaching into his pack, he decides to use the remainder of his spare him filling in some blank pages of his journal with recent events. He almost does not know where to start. "If there is only a little amount of this antidote, then perhaps we can convince them to bring more themselves, if a fairy is there waiting for us that is. Making another may be tough without knowing what was used in it's creation. If the antidote is as mysterious as the poison, then it may be quite difficult indeed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"I think it would be Alec that would need to do the convincing. Fairies are funny about gifts like that. Improper use, or improper recipient might be a bad thing. Course, I'm going by my ma's stories. I do hope she is as much a pragmatist as she seemed. I could really use some loving sleep."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette nods, considering this. So she's been marked in a way that can be perceived. Branded, so to speak. That which enters the fire pit... Bother. Must that melodramatic rule be the one that comes to mind just now?

"Alright. I'll try to give them a wide berth, for now. Thank you for your help, Mother. We'll be back with the article soon." Another small curtsy.

"Let's hurry back to the stables," she says, turning to her companions. "Any objections? Or other matters to see to, first?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin de Mignolet

Ignoring the repeated encouragement to use his title, he instead looks over at Lette accusingly. "You had not mentioned anything regarding...other gods that have taken an interest in us before." His stern expression quickly melts into a smile, though - he could not be angry, after all. Everyone had secrets, and surely Lette was not the only one to keep such a secret to herself. "Well, never mind - we should be off. We can have the rest of that discussion on the road," says Martin, shaking his head. Everything strange and unnatural and out of the ordinary seemed to be following him and his friends around.

Looking to their newest companion, he gestures in a relaxed manner in the direction of the Freehold, since they needed to link up with the others, deliver a message, and bring the mask back here to the temple. For that matter he also wanted to be sure that Isit and Alec were recovering. "You came from the south; we head east, and both that way and to the north there's plenty of strangeness around. I myself have seen enough strangeness in the last week to last most of a lifetime, and I have the impression I am not going to be done with that any time soon. It is an odd line of work we find ourselves in."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Asha

Nodding curtly to the pair, Asha turns towards Xavega and offers the priestess as low a bow as a centaur is apt; straightening, the pats the helmet at her side. "Until our paths cross again." With an exchange of farewells, Asha falls into step beside Martin and Lette as the trio begin to make their way for the eastern egress. "You needn't worry, then--you'll not be accosted." She grins before tilting her head aside. "What brought you to this work, if I might ask?" She arches a brow to pair.

Overconfidence.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"Maybe we can meet with Martin and Lette there, if Dolan is able to speak with them that is. Regardless, let us wait to see how things are going with them before we act." He gives Alec a sideways look. In the man's current condition, the faun doubts he will be able to do much convincing before he simply passes out at the faeries feet. "We shall see..."

Still scribbling with one hand, he reaches into his bag and hands Alec his second journal. "When you and Lette were away, I took the time to write down the story of your people that you told me about. If you could think of anything else noteworthy to add, I would be blessed to know of it. I think a book of your people could make for a very interesting read one day. Hopefully I will have all the time I will need to write it once our many troubles have been dealt with."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"That is a difficult question to answer," he says, speaking softly and slowly at first, then picking up the pace as he continues on, becoming quite animated with gestures as he tells a shortened version of his story. "In my youth I was...unconcerned with matters of politics and governance. Secretly, when I could, I went on adventures, you could say - mostly on behalf of the smallfolk," he explains, leaving out what those "adventures" consisted of. He was almost ashamed of what he had done, now; even though he had helped some people, and prevented some pretty terrible things, playing at being a hero ultimately had led him astray from his real duty. And his methods had been...amateurish, simple, and perhaps more than a little needlessly violent. He could have had the power to really make things better, and had squandered it for the rush of fighting a duel, or the smug satisfaction of hanging a crooked tax collector upside-down by his feet in the town square overnight. At least he could have a second chance, perhaps; a second chance he might not ever have tried to take until the last few days, due to conversations with a certain Goddess.

"When my father died I stood to inherit, but the steward - a corrupt man by any standard - slandered me and I did not feel like waging a political war at the time, and neither did I want to reveal what I had been spending my time doing," continues Martin with a shrug. "So I left - or rather, I let him force me out - to try to help people elsewhere, and I ended up here. Lord Roland offered me work doing this sort of thing, and since it's for the good of all I can't complain about it much. And that is why you should not call me Baron," he adds with a cynical, bitter grin. "Some day I will have to earn it, if only to stop that...monster from exercising his tyrannical political muscles from my throne. But there is a war to prevent, first."

Suddenly, he realizes there is something else in his head as Dolan contacts him. How did this work again? Just think? We delivered the message and Roland is considering the proposal, but wants to take his time with it. Less urgency now; the Horde has mostly turned north according to his scouts. He supports a meeting between leaders. Also he hired us some additional muscle as well. That should cover everything; we will be returning in your direction shortly. He decides to leave out that Roland's answer seemed to most certainly be "no" on the proposal; the illusion of considering it carefully was important.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 18, 2012

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

I understand his reluctance. Political marriages are never a clean thing; too many complications. Not that Dolan had had any personal experience with them. Making sure they went through or did not, on the other hand... That's good news about the army. Did he happen to mention why? And extra muscle will be appreciated. As cold as he was, Dolan could easily recognize the benefit to having a good distraction in the front lines of a fight.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

I do not think anyone knows, is Martin's uncomfortable response. He hoped he wasn't saying this all out loud also. That was the problem with this; it was hard to tell. No wonder Roland and Dirksen are warded, since the annoyance alone is reason enough. They have left some forces along the roads not far from the crossroads we were at, I think that was what the Captain said. The rest have moved. It is...very curious.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Indeed. Very curious. Somewhat alarming as well. There is a sudden shift in the tone of Dolan's "voice" as he changes subjects. Everything is well here, however. Isit and Alec both yet live, though they are not looking forward to trying to sleep again. Allegedly there is an antidote near where we fought the storm wizard, though Isit believes she may need to be present in order for it to be retrieved. An obvious issue, seeing as she can barely move.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Perhaps we can help transport her once we return. Hopefully we'll not be long. Is there anything else? You have given me a bit of a headache after all...this really is uncomfortable, he thinks, squeezing his eyes shut for a brief moment.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

You get used to it, but no, that is all. I will let you have your head back now. Be safe, fortune favour you. With that, he severs the connection. "They are on their way back," he says. "News has been delivered, and Roland is considering the proposals. They are coming back with another warrior too. Hopefully he has his own horse, and knows how to ride it."

He sits down again against the side of the cabin with the others. "Apparently the queen's army is on the move, but northward. She has left a small contingent at the crossroads, but the bulk is moving; towards what, nobody knows." He looks to Alec. "Did you hear anything while you were there that might indicate what her plans were? Why she might suddenly change course?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

As Dolan sits back down, he looks to him curiously. "A new companion? Marvelous. I wonder who and what it shall be. Maybe we should inform Naantali that it will take some more time before a response comes from Roland? Or, if they are coming here now, Martin and Lette should be the ones to do it. I suppose marriage is something worth taking the time to consider." He stops his quill on the page, dripping a rather large ink spot on the paper before he realizes and takes it away. "North... I wonder what it could be. Anything that draws the queen's eye from Noah must be quite deadly. Although, if she left a small group behind, maybe not? I am not all too knowledgeable on matters of warfare."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

The book in front of him is hazy as he tries to read the effort becoming almost unbearable. His vision was hazy as he tried to think more on his story, unfortunately he wasn't able to concentrate enough on the pages to add anything though stories tried to seep into his weary mind. He is shaken out of it by Dolan's question.

"What... they all went to the north." Alec face looked absolutely horrified. He dragged himself to his feet and grabbed Dolan's armor with his hands "They are marching north? are you sure? North?! Was it snowing? This is spring it shouldn't snow WAS IT SNOWING." Alec is shouting and completely paniced his eyes looking at the sky in absolute terror.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Slightly worried by another of Alec's strange and sudden outbursts, the faun takes his journal away from the man for fear of what he might do to it in his current mood. After that, he stands and grabs Alec by the shoulders attempting to pry the man off Dolan and hoping that he might have some luck, given the man's weakened state. "Sit down and relax, Alec! Let him go. Now, what does it matter if it is snowing or not?" He looks to Isit and Dolan as if they may know as well, although he suspects that only Alec may hold the answer. Gods only know what that may be though.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan's eyes widen at the sudden outburst from Alec. He does not have to try very hard to pry the man's hands off. "He did not say," he answers. "And it is not snowing here. Calm down." He holds Alec's hands away from himself, hoping that he doesn't find some surge of strength. The man's mind must truly be taking a toll form his fatigue. "Why, what does snow in spring mean, other than some wizard loving with the weather again?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

Alec is pulled back rather easily weak and certainly drained from even the effort of trying to grab Dolan had collapses in front of Lo'el blinked at both. "You don't know? How can you not know? Everyone child in my land would know what that means."

Alec stumbles to his fit, his energy coming from sheer panic more than anything else. "The Jötunn, they have come, Cheruscisten has fallen or has been bypassed. When they come, summer turns to winter and winter into bleak unrelenting cold. That is the only thing that could have attacked from the North, all the tribes I passed were scattered in disarray and the Man Eaters ran in packs among them all. It is the only thing that could cause the Queen to go north so suddenly, the Trolls and Man eaters attacked in mass. Behind them they come in Person, and the snow starts. Lakes freeze, rivers turn to Ice, and it becomes so cold that not even plants can live. Cheruscisten lost entire crops from a single attack, and they had only come for half a day. If they have come then my quest as failed. I tried to unite and stop this insanity in time." Alec looks at the ground, it was the only thing that could have done it.

The horde coming could not be bargained with or bought, there was no sating it.

The hope for peace was over.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Martin's gaze sparks a flicker of defiance that makes its way into her own. "As I recall, Caria had out with your own rendezvous at the same time she did mine. Anyway, I was worried it would... complicate things. People have strong feelings about her — ones often poor and often unjustified, as I've seen it. I didn't have any idea it could have this sort of consequence." Or that it would leave her with a big rotten egg in her pocket where other priests were concerned. "But fates willing, we'll set right that last. And yes, the rest can wait."

They make their way back to the stables and mount their steeds, now somewhat rested. Finally eye-level with Asha, Lette rambles off her own answer to the question when Martin falls silent, appearing to contemplate something. "My family used to sharecrop, moving from farm to farm by leases. Until something that's hard to explain — or even recall well — happened. I could barely even see it, but something took my parents. Changed them into... I don't know. Can't say much more. My brother Gil was with me, but when everything had settled, they were gone, he was gone... everyone. So I started following a trail, his trail.

"Three months, I traveled. And that's how I know there isn't a soul living west of here. Empty towns, buildings on maps just not being there. Finally, I arrived here. Was able to meet with the mayor, told him my story, and he agreed to notify me if Gilbert showed up. Since then, I've been helping the city in return, however I can.

"That's the short version, anyway. If any of it seems unclear, feel free to ask, but I don't know that I can guarantee it'll be any clearer for me.

"So," she responds to Asha as they approach the gate, "I guess this is where we'd ask you for your story, but I'll understand if you'd rather wait. I'm sure the others will have questions, too, and I don't want to make you repeat yourself.

She nods earnestly. "Not that I'm not dying to know about knighthood. You know, I've never met one before! Seen a few from afar, sure. It's up to you, really."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He listens with a furrowed brow to the meaning of Alec's rant and then sighs, considering what the man has said. "It is a worrying thought, Alec. But, we do not know for certain that it is these Jötunn. It could be any many of things that has caused the queen to divert her attention north, it does certainly not mean that your home has fallen to these beasts you describe." He gives Dolan and the doctor a concerned look. This antidote may have to be acquired a great deal sooner if this sudden mood swing as a result from the poison. "This is probably just fatigue and the poison having an ill effect on you. Just...be calm. It is certainly not snowing here and we are almost as north as the queen's camp was. I am sure it is not as dire as you think."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

He shakes his head, "Do you not understand? I walked through there! I saw the clans and how organized they were. There is only one thing that needs an army to attack from the north. Unless she wants to attack unclaimed lands filled with horrific beasts and dead villages. I've seen them all." They didn't understand this was incredible.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit was too tired for all this yelling. Wincing she turns to Alec. "Relax, the queen you have a crush on isn't a milkmaid, she's a better fighter than you." Looking over at Lo'el, she shrugs before turning to the doctor. "I think the delirium, has set in for him. Guess I'm next."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"Alec. Calm down. The simple fact here is we have no idea what the queen has gone north to face. Perhaps she has not gone to face a foe at all. It could be anything and acting in a panic as you are now will not lead to anything constructive on the subject. If the threat was that serious, then I am sure the queen would have taken her whole force with her, rather then leave half behind at the crossroads. Regardless, there is nothing we can do about it now. We have to worry about curing Isit and yourself first. We have too many problems for now to be worrying about them all at once. Fearing over the unknown will achieve nothing here." With that, he takes a deep breath and gives the man an understanding, yet calming look. "However, if it starts snowing, feel free to say I am wrong. Until then, let us just stay calm and try to think clearly."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

He glares at Isit "You are a fool to say that. There is no fighting them normally, Your horse goes up to their ankle. They command hordes of savage men, and Ice trolls. The queen is mortal and will die. She can hit them as hard as she likes, only the venom of a Wurm can truly hurt them. I've know, I've fought them."

Alec turns to Lo'el, "It only snows when they actually march, they will first send hordes of the Man-Things and Trolls under their commands. Some of the Orc tribes worked with them but rebelled, I do not think they exist anymore. Like I said, I have come from the north, my feet have set upon the ground you talk about. There is nothing else there that I encountered during my six months of travels that else it could be."

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 18, 2012

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"You know how you thought that elves turned men into trees by having sex with them? This might be one of those things. I don't doubt you have seen strange creatures up north, but I doubt they'd get down here if they were made of ice. It's summer ain't it? More likely an rear end in a top hat wizard mucking with a spell."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

"Say what you like. I have seen them turn the sea into a field of ice. They create ice, they are not made of it. The cold goes wherever they do, fire does not stop them. These are not stories, I have seem them do it. I have fought them. They killed my wife, and my friends. So say what you like, but it just makes you more the fool." Alec looks more agitated and angry now pacing, his face beet red.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

With a look to the people around them, he starts to worry more and more as Alec refuses to hear reason. "Alec. There are children here who may very well hear you. Keep your voice calm or do not speak at all, please. There is nothing we can do about this now, not with you both in this condition. And we cannot do anything without more information on this threat. Now please, just sit down and be calm."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit thought it was pretty rich that a man who ate fairy food was calling her a fool, but she shrugged. He was likely delirious at this point, may as well humor him. "Whatever you say Alec. I think you better sit down. Pacing won't kill any giants."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

"The children can listen and learn cause they apparently weren't taught the only thing truly worth knowing. Even if they are told stories of all these other things that live here, that is the one that will kill them or turn them into mindless slaves. Don't patronize me at all. Don't think just cause i didn't hear of your idiotic stories that mean nothing, doesn't mean I am wrong." Alec getting more red as he looks between them all. Had he not lost so many people to them he might have calmed down but now he was just pure angry.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Raising an eyebrow, Isit looks over at the doctor, and inches her way in front of the gnoll toddlers. Even doing that took more effort than she cared to spend. She was fairly sure that poor Alec had gone round the bend by now. He thought the monsters from his homeland had followed him here. "Umm...okay Alec..we'll get to them after you're recovered."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Less worried about Alec now and more concerned for the others and what the children may think of this outburst, the faun raises his hands in a calming motion to the northerner. "Alec, sit down now. We will study this topic more when we are all able to. Isit is right, we will handle this later." Leaving it at that, he stands himself and keeps a wary eye on the man for fear of what he might do in his current state. Trying to give calming words seems to only be resulting in the opposite of what he intends. If the man continues in this manner...well, he has no idea what he can do to stop him.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

The placation just fed into his absolute anger, the streaks of rage overwhelming his self control. "No. I'm tired of this loving poo poo. gently caress you. I am not a child and you are a liar." Alec picks up his things and carrying them goes over to the Head Gnoll, "I am going to be staying elsewhere, just not here. Can you show me another hut that I might stay any other place will do?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Telling himself that it is just the fatigue and poison speaking, the faun watches Alec cautiously with his ears perked up and a look of shock on his face. Has the man truly lost his mind? Gods know he has not been acting as his normal self throughout the day, but this... All he had done was try to calm the man down. Sighing again, he simply gives Isit, Dolan and the doctor a look of confusion as Alec gathers his things and stalks away from them. "Perhaps some time alone will do the man some good. You don't think he'll do anything...dangerous, do you?" Suddenly worrying that it could very well be the poison having an effect, he looks to Isit again. "You don't feel any worse I hope? I...didn't do anything wrong, did I?"

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf looks at Alec mildly before shaking her head. "You're sick, and you're raving Alec. You shouldn't be surprised that you are treated in such a way when you act like this." Perhaps the poison, or the food had gone to his brain. Shrugging as he leaves, she turns to Lo'el. "No, you didn't do anything wrong. Did I? I mean, I was trying to be nice. But I am bad at that." Closing her eyes, she sighs. "He ate fairy food. He might do something dangerous. And I feel the same, except a little more tired and miserable."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He shakes his head, ears flapping at his sides as he does so. "You said nothing wrong either. And I believe that you are more capable of being nice then you realize, my lady. The gnolling's ribbons are proof enough of that." With another worried look off in the direction Alec went, he relaxes the grip on the spear he had not even realized he was holding. "Knowing it is an effect of the poison may be a small comfort, but it is hard to be sure. Behavior like this is not a known symptom is it, doctor? I would suggest keeping an eye on him for fear of what he may do to himself or others, but that could only anger him further and lead to violence. Restraining him and taking his weapons would likely have a similar effect, although it may be for the best. Gods, I do not know what to do for him..."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"He might forgive us after he is better if you need to do that." She wasn't entirely sure of that, but it might be better to have a mad Alec than a dead Alec. Shivering slightly, she looks at her hands. "Please do the same for me if I start raving like a madman. But I'm honestly too tired to do any if that. I'll just sit right here."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan just stares as the man goes off, apparently convinced that the world was ending. As the northman storms off, Dolan rolls his eyes and gets up to follow him. He easily outpaces the fatigued man, and plants himself right in his way. Despite having to crane his neck up to look at the man, he still manages to keep an air of dignity, somehow. "Let's say you're right," he breaks in immediately. "Just what do you propose we do? Blindly acting in fear or anger is not any way to face the end of the world."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

His face bright red and the adrenaline rushing through him Alec grinds his teeth at the dwarf "Doesn't matter anymore you can do what you like. I am out of here."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan moves to block Alec, easily staying in front of him. "You said yourself that fire won't stop them. That you can't fight them normally. Fine, be angry, you're allowed, but don't let it rule you. I've spent enough time around you to know you aren't the savage men think you to be, but storming off to be alone isn't going to accomplish anything, no matter if these Jötunn are coming or not."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

"No matter? No matter? They are the reason I was sent here. My purpose in being in this strange land and traveling for a year was to find the way this empire captured its gods and put them away, so that we might use it. Or find magic that can defeat them. So all my hardship up to this point has been for this, so if I might seem a bit angry at being laughed at? I cannot make you understand. There is nothing that I have seen north of here, except death and disarray. The Jötunn have always and always will be my goal here. I do not care about the Queen nor Noah. My goal has been to stop them. So when I hear that the Queen who has every intent on going into Noah and conquering it by force and said as much, turns her entire army north. This can mean all but one thing, and the only thing that was there large enough to even give a threat to her, would be the Jötunn. If you want to say I am delirious or that I am fever prone, then we can part ways. I will find someone who will want too." Alec looks Dolan dead in the eye, he had been pushing himself all day, but this was the only thing that was important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

The man was hopeless. All he wanted was rage and pity and fortune alone knew what else. There was no calming him down, no making him think this through in a logical manner. It didn't matter anyway; he would get fifty feet then collapse from fatigue, then maybe have a chance to calm down with his face in the dirt. Without a word he steps aside, motioning for Alec to move along. Then he walks back to the others without a single glance back.

• Locked thread