Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just noticed the same command is in the Mail app as well. If someone sends you an "invite" it can add itself to iCal automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Astro7x posted:

So I am looking for a good remote screen share type program for our Macs at work. Currently we do it all ghetto... we have machines on Snow Leopard, and thanks to Chax we are able to get employees to login to their work stations through iChat by having an Auto Accept Screen Share feature turned on. The problem is... this doesn't always work because sometimes iChat just doesn't want to connect. But the issue we are having now is that new machines that have Lion installed on it are not compatible with this older iChat pluggin.

Would Apple Remote Desktop be a good alternative to this? I need a good solution that will work with Lion, and the description has stuff like "No more house calls!" Implying it works over the internet.

I guess as some background info, it's a small company of about 8 people, 5 of which actually use the remote log in capabilities. We all have admin rights to our machines, so security is not so much an issue. Programs like LogMeIn are reliable, but so far I have not seen anything that beats the seamlessness of the iChat Pluggin we use in terms of it moving fast enough where it feels like you are actually using your computer. And on top of that, we are having one of our employees working remotely starting next week, and I would love to have a way to administer his work computer from our home office.

Any advice?
ARD is perfect for your needs, but most hopefully you already have VPN because asking your employees to forward their ports? Yeah that's not going to happen.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Kind of ghetto for your use, but maybe ScreenSharingMenulet...but yeah for remote connections it'd likely be a pain without VPN/tunnelling of some sort. There's some app specifically to make that stuff easier though, I think ShareTool, other stuff like Hamachi does it too iirc.

And there's one big change with Lion you have to watch out for depending on what you want to do, it can do virtual screens through screen sharing. I think you can control the setting in the sharing preferences, but if not you have to use the logged in user's credentials if you want to actually see their screen (as opposed to possibly getting into your own admin session or something).

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
I use Logmein for my parents computers at home (I'm in Canada, they're in the UK) and it is fine and plenty speedy IF you turn it into low detail greyscale mode. Let's you do what you want without crawling to show you their background in full colour glory. And it's free

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004
My app store is not loading all the icons/images for apps. For example I click on an app to buy and maybe one or two load the rest have question marks. If I reload some of the missing images show while others either stay missing or go missing.

*edit* Believe I fixed it by switching from ATT's DNS server to Google's. Weird how that would only affect this one computer.

Blackdawgg fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 17, 2012

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

japtor posted:

Kind of ghetto for your use, but maybe ScreenSharingMenulet...but yeah for remote connections it'd likely be a pain without VPN/tunnelling of some sort. There's some app specifically to make that stuff easier though, I think ShareTool, other stuff like Hamachi does it too iirc.

And there's one big change with Lion you have to watch out for depending on what you want to do, it can do virtual screens through screen sharing. I think you can control the setting in the sharing preferences, but if not you have to use the logged in user's credentials if you want to actually see their screen (as opposed to possibly getting into your own admin session or something).

I use ScreenShareMenulet all the time, but that doesn't solve the issue of an easy way to remote in from home. I just hope that ARD won't give me an issue if 2 or 3 people have it installed at home and are trying to use it at the same time.

I will look into ShareTool though

Nuntius posted:

I use Logmein for my parents computers at home (I'm in Canada, they're in the UK) and it is fine and plenty speedy IF you turn it into low detail greyscale mode. Let's you do what you want without crawling to show you their background in full colour glory. And it's free

Well we do video post-production, so grayscale mode isn't going to cut it. I am also all about paying for software if it does what I need it to do.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Astro7x posted:

I use ScreenShareMenulet all the time, but that doesn't solve the issue of an easy way to remote in from home. I just hope that ARD won't give me an issue if 2 or 3 people have it installed at home and are trying to use it at the same time.

I will look into ShareTool though
Assuming ShareTool does what it says (particularly passing Bonjour through), you should be able to remote in through ScreenSharingMenulet as if you were on the LAN with all the hosts showing up in the menu.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Any other Retina MBP owners having issues with three-finger-click? On my previous MBP (mid-2010) I used jitouch, and before that bettertouchtool to make three-finger-click into middleclick for opening links in Firefox. Worked fine, never had any problems. On my new MBP neither of those seem to work anymore. Since it's using a special build of Lion and (I think) the middleclick is done through a private API, I'm wondering if something has changed internally.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
For the first time in, ever, I'm going to have two Macs that I'll regularly be working on (27" iMac and a soon-to-arrive 11" Air).

I have about 3GB worth of documents that I've been collecting most of my adult life (university work, financial documents, tax stuff, etc). I'd really like to have this directory available and synched to both Macs, but the sensitive nature of some of the material gives me pause about using Dropbox for it. Is there another easy way to achieve this, or should I just stop being a tinfoil hat and go with Dropbox?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
You should be able to just leave them on your iMac and use air sharing to access them on the Air.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Macintosh posted:

Pixelmator looks like it got a price cut to $14.99. I've been wanting to get it for a while now since I'm too cheap and poor to buy Photoshop. Is it worth it?

I bought Pixelmator a while back because Photoshop was too expensive, and even though I have since bought Photoshop I still use Pixelmator the majority of the time. It's a lot more pleasant to use and has a lot of nice little touches, like adjusting the tolerance of the magic wand tool by clicking and dragging the mouse with a live preview of the selection.

It's still in the process of catching up on all of Photoshop's essential features though, which is why I still use Photoshop sometimes. I think the last major missing feature is layer styles. It's also kind of buggy sometimes, but it's been getting better recently.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Lexicon posted:

For the first time in, ever, I'm going to have two Macs that I'll regularly be working on (27" iMac and a soon-to-arrive 11" Air).

I have about 3GB worth of documents that I've been collecting most of my adult life (university work, financial documents, tax stuff, etc). I'd really like to have this directory available and synched to both Macs, but the sensitive nature of some of the material gives me pause about using Dropbox for it. Is there another easy way to achieve this, or should I just stop being a tinfoil hat and go with Dropbox?

SpiderOak. You get your own encryption key, and the company never knows it, rather than Dropbox's common-key approach. I think there's a referral thread somewheres in SH/SC.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Whoops... wrong thread

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Factory Factory posted:

SpiderOak. You get your own encryption key, and the company never knows it, rather than Dropbox's common-key approach. I think there's a referral thread somewheres in SH/SC.

Take advantage of this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420383

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Thanks, I did. Ended up with 6GB out the gate :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm contemplating saving an encrypted DMG on my dropbox to mitigate any security issues, but I'm curious whether an 8GB DMG would store just the deltas between revisions or would I be uploading an 8GB file every single time I change anything?

Also yes, I realize you can create a segmented dmg. Still would be a pain in the rear end if I had to upload like 500mb every time I changed a single file.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
If it is security, then just use SpiderOak.

(Yes the entire dmg, encrypted or not would be uploaded every time you changed something. DMG are fantastic for storing fixed data. They kind of suck otherwise, between sparse images having random corruption issues to non-sparse images not being expandable.)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So is there any way to enable the retina display scaling from the MBP on an iMac? I'd buy a second 27" monitor if I could run these at "1080p" and not look like blurry rear end. I use the 720p HiDPI mode which works great, but I need more real-estate for my work apps.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Martytoof posted:

I'm contemplating saving an encrypted DMG on my dropbox to mitigate any security issues, but I'm curious whether an 8GB DMG would store just the deltas between revisions or would I be uploading an 8GB file every single time I change anything?

Also yes, I realize you can create a segmented dmg. Still would be a pain in the rear end if I had to upload like 500mb every time I changed a single file.

You can't delta-update an encrypted volume. It's all or none.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Anyone know hot to uninstall prokit? Client decided to update prokit and now it has broken iphoto. It seems lots of people are having this issue with the new update in mountain lion but there is no fix. I just want to remove it and reinstall the previous version. then tell him not to update it until its fixed!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Does anyone here use WineBottler to run Windows apps?

I need to edit the registry for a particular "app" I installed but I'll be damned if I can find a way to do that for this specific app. Should I just go in and edit the user.reg in [Myapp].app/Contents/Resources/?
Use WineSkin instead.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Was Safari 5.2 really just 6, they just didn't want to actually announce the major version number until WWDC? I don't really see a difference between 6's preview version and 5.2's preview version.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Was Safari 5.2 really just 6, they just didn't want to actually announce the major version number until WWDC? I don't really see a difference between 6's preview version and 5.2's preview version.

Yeah, I don't think there's any major differences that I've seen. Speaking of which, I should probably at least update to 6b on this machine to keep current.

Use WineSkin instead.

I think this is the app I was ACTUALLY looking for but I just couldn't remember the name. Thanks!

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Tab View and iCloud tabs (though iCloud tabs may have been in earlier Mountain Lion seeds).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That stuff must be ML-only because the Safari 6 10.7 beta doesn't seem to have any of that.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Can someone recommend a twitter app which supports multiple accounts, but doesn't merge their timelines into one big, awkward mess? (Which is what Tweetdeck does)

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Experto Crede posted:

Can someone recommend a twitter app which supports multiple accounts, but doesn't merge their timelines into one big, awkward mess? (Which is what Tweetdeck does)

Twitter's app? I don't do a lot of tweeting, but I do manage a number of Twitter accounts, and it gets the job done.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

pipes! posted:

Twitter's app? I don't do a lot of tweeting, but I do manage a number of Twitter accounts, and it gets the job done.

Huh, I didn't realise it had that functionality. Well, ignore this massive tit.

Cheers!

Bryne
Feb 13, 2008

The Treachery of Forums
I'm a big fan of Osfoora so far.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

flyboi posted:

So is there any way to enable the retina display scaling from the MBP on an iMac? I'd buy a second 27" monitor if I could run these at "1080p" and not look like blurry rear end. I use the 720p HiDPI mode which works great, but I need more real-estate for my work apps.
Might be possible later on when OS X gets updated to a universal build again (assuming the MBP has a unique build with the scaling stuff), it'd probably require a plist hack or something to enable it (if not something more extensive). Keep in mind the hardware hit though, it's supposedly drawing at HiDPI mode and scaling down so for two screens you'd basically be running 2x 3840x2160 displays.

thegasman2000 posted:

Anyone know hot to uninstall prokit? Client decided to update prokit and now it has broken iphoto. It seems lots of people are having this issue with the new update in mountain lion but there is no fix. I just want to remove it and reinstall the previous version. then tell him not to update it until its fixed!
Do they need to be running Mountain Lion in the first place (or did you just mean Lion)?

japtor fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 18, 2012

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So we bought Apple Remote Desktop today at work to start messing around with. And while I am finding it doing everything I need to do locally, I am still struggling with this thing to figure out how I can control computers remotely over the internet.

One roadblock I think I am going to run into is that I forward the necessary ports on my router, and I think I have it set up right for one of my machines. But I don't see how I can forward those ports for other machines at our office. Basically meaning that I can only remote into one machine with ARD. That kind of blows...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Astro7x posted:

So we bought Apple Remote Desktop today at work to start messing around with. And while I am finding it doing everything I need to do locally, I am still struggling with this thing to figure out how I can control computers remotely over the internet.

One roadblock I think I am going to run into is that I forward the necessary ports on my router, and I think I have it set up right for one of my machines. But I don't see how I can forward those ports for other machines at our office. Basically meaning that I can only remote into one machine with ARD. That kind of blows...

Connect to VPN - then remote into all the remote computers you please.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bob Morales posted:

Connect to VPN - then remote into all the remote computers you please.

I have no idea how to do that... my biggest hurdle with getting this set up is that I've never done this before, so I am not sure what that even means exactly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

As you've learned with port forwarding, if you only have one external IP address, you can really only remotely connect to machine in your internal network using a particular port.

If you set up a VPN on your router/firewall, you can connect to your internal network from outside. You basically end up with an internal IP address and can then connect to the other machines in your internal network just as if you were physically in the office.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Any guesses that 10.7.4 is the last Lion release? We haven't seen a developer preview for 10.7.5 yet, and we're already approaching the release of Mountain Lion.

Godspeed Lion, we hardly knew ye. :patriot:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Any guesses that 10.7.4 is the last Lion release? We haven't seen a developer preview for 10.7.5 yet, and we're already approaching the release of Mountain Lion.

Apple Insider just reported this afternoon that a developer preview of 10.7.5 is coming soon. I have no idea how accurate that'll prove to be though.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Seems like the browser manufacturers have gotten into a version number war (looking at you, Chrome and Firefox).

Apple has purportedly stated that it now intends to update OS X on an annual basis, so I guess this is the new norm.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

japtor posted:

Do they need to be running Mountain Lion in the first place (or did you just mean Lion)?

Nope... But thats what they are on for whatever reasons they decided was a good idea.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

thegasman2000 posted:

Nope... But thats what they are on for whatever reasons they decided was a good idea.
Well that's insane. We basically say "no" to support on beta OSes (unless it's an existing client that we like, and even then it's best-effort). "It broke iPhoto" is a very good reason for production environments to use only production software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

http://www.filecluster.com/reviews/082009/how-to-suspend-a-process-in-mac-osx/
That tells me how to suspend a process like Firefox which uses up battery by using 20-50% of the CPU whenever it is running.

But I fear terminal, and would like something that I can just launch with launchbar like the kill the dock command which fixes the spaces fuckery.

The terminal commands are apparently

kilall -STOP firefox-bin

To resume it, the command is:

kilall -CONT firefox-bin

How do I make these into an AppleScript so that I can LaunchBar it?

Or is the a ready made app that does this?