Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

I think one of the simplest ways to summarize the differences between Morrowind and Oblivion/Skyrim is that not everything is voiced, so with Morrowind they were able to have NPCs go on these huge tangents and be really descriptive and let you ask about 40 different topics in a single conversation.

In Oblivion/Skyrim the number of conversation options is much smaller, and since everything is voiced NPCs are really limited in how much they can say.

As such, Morrowind feels like it has so much more depth and backstory. I've tried playing through Oblivion a few times and never beat it, but honestly I don't care to, because the story doesn't interest me that much. Ditto for Skyrim -- though its story is better than Oblivions, I haven't completed it (and it's still basically just "kill the dragon"). In Morrowind, you can ask a god what it's like to be a god. And then kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Alright, which one of you goons did this?

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
The link to the .zip file under basic installation isn't working, the download stops about a fifth of the way in.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Can-O-Raid posted:

The link to the .zip file under basic installation isn't working, the download stops about a fifth of the way in.

http://nearlydeaf.com/files/Morrowind_Update.zip ?

If I had to guess, I'd say it was because you guys are burning through 4GB a day downloading those two files

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 13, 2012

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Yep. Managed to get it down and uploaded it to Mediafire in case anyone has similar issues.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Can-O-Raid posted:

Yep. Managed to get it down and uploaded it to Mediafire in case anyone has similar issues.

Switching the OP to this link right now.

Pottsdam
Sep 11, 2000

MY MEAT!
MY MEAAAATTTTT!
Question about the OP:

quote:

6&7 can just be extracted to your Morrowind folder.
Does this mean MGE-XE doesn't need to be setup, it should work after it's extracted? Also, 7 seems like it belongs in the Data Files folder since it has esp files.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Pottsdam posted:

Also, 7 seems like it belongs in the Data Files folder since it has esp files.

Yes it would.

IIRC, just extracting XE should work just fine as long as you followed the previous step.

Pottsdam
Sep 11, 2000

MY MEAT!
MY MEAAAATTTTT!

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Yes it would.

IIRC, just extracting XE should work just fine as long as you followed the previous step.
You may want to add to that step that you still have to enable shaders and distant lands with the configuration tool, at least for newbies who initially don't know what MGE-XE is for (like me).

Also, thank you for writing the OP!

Pottsdam
Sep 11, 2000

MY MEAT!
MY MEAAAATTTTT!
"One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on."

I've installed Oggums pack and Wrye Mash, is there any way to fix this? I haven't used his recommended load order (except for .esm files) the but IIRC I was getting the same thing on a previous installation when I did have everything in order.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Pottsdam posted:

"One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on."

I've installed Oggums pack and Wrye Mash, is there any way to fix this? I haven't used his recommended load order (except for .esm files) the but IIRC I was getting the same thing on a previous installation when I did have everything in order.

Is that a prompt that you in the loading screen when you first start the game? gently caress that prompt. I've never installed Morrowind on a PC where I didn't get that prompt.

You should be fine, just "yes to all" and enjoy.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Hey all, just popping in to let you all know I'm finally doing a long awaited update on Uvirith's Legacy. I'm just fixing the few bugs left over, then I'm retiring from modding MW for good 'cause I got novels and poo poo to write.

Though I don't have time to bugger with the slightly-buggy MWSE companion scripts, I'm going to break the MWSE add-ons into companions and other stuff, so people can roll back to the more stable companions without losing the other nifty MWSE stuff.

It's currently done and being beta tested right now, and I'll release it in the next couple weeks. It's a minor update, so it shouldn't kill your savegames if you're already playing it.

I'll keep you all posted when it's up.

Edit: Also, there's some poo poo going down with FilePlanet, so I'll be adding backup hosting somewhere for all my mods including UL, Books of Vvardenfell, and (I don't think mentioned this one here before) Grimoires. The last one's a bunch of books that give you a temporary skill-rise in their respective spell schools when you read them, but mainly, they're eye-candy for your library.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 21, 2012

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

That's great to hear! Uvirith's Legacy is pretty much the best thing to come out of Morrowind mod scene. It's gotten to the point where I can't ever NOT join the Telvanni because if I can't be an rear end in a top hat wizard and have a sweet tower full of cool stuff, what's the point in playing?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Thanks, man. I know exactly what you mean. I can't not play as Telvanni anymore either, because being as rear end in a top hat wizard is way too much fun. It's the faction that gets the most modding love for the same reason, because you can think up all sorts of cool magic poo poo. I know some dudes were working on a big Redoran project back in late 2010 before I vanished off the scene, but I don't know what happened with it.

Back in 2009, when UL was nudging it's way onto the scene, I decided to contact all the modders making the big competing Telvanni mods: LGNPC Tel Uvirith, Rise of House Telvanni, and Building up Uvirith's Grave, and said, "Hey let's make these all compatible to create the ultimate Telvanni experience." The guy who made BuUG pulled a vanishing act, so I set another modder on the task of making Building up Uvirith's Legacy to replace it (a hostile takeover from the Telvanni modding mafia). Now these mods are so seamless, if players install them together, they can't tell which mod is which half the time.

Also, you're are all using the final version of Books of Vvardenfell right? It's up to 2.11 now. 2.11 has more books, hi-res covers for all of them, select illustrations, a hand-drawn book of all the game maps, and Cosmos by Carlenus Saganus (Imperial faux latin, not real latin ... I know, I was being cute).

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 21, 2012

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
At this point would people agree that MGSO is the stable and superior alternative to Morroblivion and is awesome enough that I don't necessarily need to do the manual installation anymore? I'm re-installing the game (again) and I'm feeling a little lazy this time . . .

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Is there a regular download for the mod pack (Oggum's) in the OP? I can't use torrents from this PC.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Dr Snofeld posted:

Is there a regular download for the mod pack (Oggum's) in the OP? I can't use torrents from this PC.

If it the guy who made it doesn't mind I could upload it somewhere. Why can't you use torrents btw?

If I did this I would need to split it into 8 parts.

Also small question, is Oggums compatible with MGSO?

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 14, 2012

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

xanthan posted:

If it the guy who made it doesn't mind I could upload it somewhere. Why can't you use torrents btw?

No goddamn idea, they've never worked for me. Not really a problem, usually, as I never have the urge to torrent anything.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Dr Snofeld posted:

No goddamn idea, they've never worked for me. Not really a problem, usually, as I never have the urge to torrent anything.

Well I'm uploading now for private use and later retrieval, if this Oggum fellow doesn't mind it being distributed in ways other then a torrent I can post the links. All 8 of them.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Feel free!

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

http://www.mediafire.com/?eaqz0h7dbbqw1r2
http://www.mediafire.com/?5pfk6ary3g0enfe
http://www.mediafire.com/?h1gpi8s9d3vxr8p
http://www.mediafire.com/?2088d9851hhn8k7
http://www.mediafire.com/?mlvcu3dqo0v6p0b
http://www.mediafire.com/?zzqxuk4spfr7see
http://www.mediafire.com/?pw7u9qn6q6560t5
http://www.mediafire.com/?8vzu3zvcsdin0i4

All 8 parts, just extract part 1 with Winrar.

PhantomBowie
Sep 3, 2009

"I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human."
You sir are a hero

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
Someone help please! This is the 4th time i have tried to install, I have now gone through the whole install again one at a time and it seems that as soon as i install the MWSE launcher then i have a problem "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005)" other than this its fine, but the MWSE has to be installed for mods right?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Camping.. Intense! posted:

Someone help please! This is the 4th time i have tried to install, I have now gone through the whole install again one at a time and it seems that as soon as i install the MWSE launcher then i have a problem "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005)" other than this its fine, but the MWSE has to be installed for mods right?

Can you give more details about your install? What OS, steam or retail, where you are installing Morrowind, are you running as admin, and exactly what steps you followed up to the point it stopped working?

Also if you do a clean install and then add only MWSE does it work?

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Stuporstar posted:

Hey all, just popping in to let you all know I'm finally doing a long awaited update on Uvirith's Legacy. I'm just fixing the few bugs left over, then I'm retiring from modding MW for good 'cause I got novels and poo poo to write.

Though I don't have time to bugger with the slightly-buggy MWSE companion scripts, I'm going to break the MWSE add-ons into companions and other stuff, so people can roll back to the more stable companions without losing the other nifty MWSE stuff.

It's currently done and being beta tested right now, and I'll release it in the next couple weeks. It's a minor update, so it shouldn't kill your savegames if you're already playing it.

I'll keep you all posted when it's up.

Edit: Also, there's some poo poo going down with FilePlanet, so I'll be adding backup hosting somewhere for all my mods including UL, Books of Vvardenfell, and (I don't think mentioned this one here before) Grimoires. The last one's a bunch of books that give you a temporary skill-rise in their respective spell schools when you read them, but mainly, they're eye-candy for your library.

I'll have to replay Morrowind to try this when it's updated. I always loved going through Building Up Uvirith's Grave - it was one of my favorite addons. I never actually tried Uvirith's Legacy but I remember seeing that one mod that made them both compatible, so I'll have to use it once the new version is released.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Thanks for the mirror. Is it just the pack and Wrye Mash that I need, or will I need other stuff on top of that? I'm not new to Morrowind modding or anything, I just want to be sure.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Dr Snofeld posted:

Thanks for the mirror. Is it just the pack and Wrye Mash that I need, or will I need other stuff on top of that? I'm not new to Morrowind modding or anything, I just want to be sure.

Its an exe that installs the mods so most likely not.

Is Oggums compatible with MGSO?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

xanthan posted:

Its an exe that installs the mods so most likely not.

Is Oggums compatible with MGSO?

Looking at the readme, most of those mods are already in the pack. I was thinking more along the lines of running MGE with this.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Camping.. Intense! posted:

Only certain mods require MWSE, are you sure you need it? MGEXE comes with its own internal version.

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer

LtSmash posted:

Can you give more details about your install? What OS, steam or retail, where you are installing Morrowind, are you running as admin, and exactly what steps you followed up to the point it stopped working?

Also if you do a clean install and then add only MWSE does it work?

Win 7, Retail, installing to C:\Games and running as admin. After a fresh intall I realised that the problem was MWSE because it is already part of MGEXE (never used MGEXE before)

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Only certain mods require MWSE, are you sure you need it? MGEXE comes with its own internal version.

I needed MWSE for some mods to run and i didnt realise that it was integrated into MGEXE, so that seems to be the issue, however even after a fresh install MGEXE seems to be problematic, the HUD mods wont work but if i disable they seem to be okay for now.

I downloaded a Morrowind Mod pack at some stage (possibly years ago) and it looks like a lot of mods are going to conflict as there are numerous texture packs, meshes etc. I think i will just chuck the lot and start fresh, well there goes my Saturday!

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

OSheaman posted:

At this point would people agree that MGSO is the stable and superior alternative to Morroblivion and is awesome enough that I don't necessarily need to do the manual installation anymore? I'm re-installing the game (again) and I'm feeling a little lazy this time . . .

I added a bit of clarification to the OP about Morroblivion. They're really two different things: MSGO replaces models and adds shaders to Morrowind in order to enhance it graphically. Morroblivion is a mod for Oblivion (yes, you will need to own both according to the website) where you're taking Morrowind and modding it into Oblivion so you get things like fast travel, a compass, bloom out the rear end, etc. while still playing Morrowind.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm sure this has been asked a whole bunch of times, but what sort of classes do you guys like to roll with? I've never found Sneak very useful and I barely touch any weapon skills beyond Long Blade and Short Blade, because they have the most unique weapons. What're some cool builds you like?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

darkspir posted:

I'll have to replay Morrowind to try this when it's updated. I always loved going through Building Up Uvirith's Grave - it was one of my favorite addons. I never actually tried Uvirith's Legacy but I remember seeing that one mod that made them both compatible, so I'll have to use it once the new version is released.

:)

The release has been pushed back a bit since my beta testers found fresh bugs, but it's coming along. I want to make sure I stomp out all the remaining bugs I can before releasing. A couple, I can't do anything about because they're game engine bugs, but I've tracked those and will be putting out a new troubleshooting guide to list their workarounds.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

How would I go about playing Morrowind with a PS3 controller?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Upmarket Mango posted:

How would I go about playing Morrowind with a PS3 controller?

I think you need a program like Xpadder or joy2key to make it work. A quick google found this which has a section at the end about getting a game pad working.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
So we do *not* need the Tribunal update if we're installing from CDs, yes? Just the Bloodmoon one?

EDIT: Also, all the visual replacers in Oggumogoggum's compilation are compatible with MGSO? I just want to make sure I'm not duplicating anything.

OSheaman fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 18, 2012

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

OSheaman posted:

So we do *not* need the Tribunal update if we're installing from CDs, yes? Just the Bloodmoon one?

Correct.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Hmm, I'm noticing Better Bodies in ogg's pack, but they're also definitely in the MGSO, at least in 2.0.1. I guess I better figure out what each is adding.

EDIT: and naturally MGSO's mod list is organized by author rather than mod name

OSheaman fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 18, 2012

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Just popping in to say that Sacred East is incredible and has me sinking an obscene amount of time into Morrowind again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Yardbomb posted:

Just popping in to say that Sacred East is incredible and has me sinking an obscene amount of time into Morrowind again.

The whole "Tamriel Rebuilt" project has been something I've largely avoided, not because it looks bad, but because it looks so ambitious that I never thought it could be good. Every now and then, people pop up and mention it off-hand, but what do you think of this mod? Do you use it with other mods and, if so, does it seem incompatible with a lot of mods? Can you freely transition between Morrowind and the new areas (even if it requires a lot of swimming)? One of these days I should check the project out.