Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Remarkably, even the choking Noah crowds see fit to make way for a half-ton+ centaur clopping through the streets. Soon enough, with Martin and Lette both in the wake of Asha's bulk, they arrive at the stables in record time- and despite the odd looks from jaded stableboys, the two adventurers are soon re-saddled and on the road once more, this time to the east and the Freehold. In no time at all, they're past the prying ears of the crowds, and alone on the road again... and at least now they're at eye level with Asha.

---

The satyr doctor gets up to chase after Alec, but after a pause halts, turns, and moves back over to Isit. "Hold still-" She says, quickly peering deep into the elf's eyes, tilting it back and forth to try to see the glint of sunlight reflecting off of them. "Okay. You're still in the same state you used to be. Him?" The satyr shrugs. "For all of me, you'd probably have to break his legs to keep him here at this point. There shouldn't be any fairies in the forest anyway."

Alec, though, storms past the surprised guards. It's odd- he feels better, somehow, more energetic... lighter on his feet, perhaps. The others didn't understand, of course. The pathways rolled out in front of him, and Gela wasn't there... but did it matter? He could find his own place. He needed nobody- nobody. He was hungry, though... no, desperately thirsty. The pathways stretched in front of him, empty. A man could have privacy if he just kept walking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"He is tired and injured. I'm sure Alec will fall over in a faint soon." She nods reassuringly at Lo'el. "Glad I'm not any worse, thanks doc."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

He felt lighter but he kept focused, if they were coming, they were coming in fast. He didn't have time to drink or eat even he had to find a Wurm and convince it to his side. Nothing mattered, rulers, people, lives, anything other than stopping them. This time he would find the one with the scar on his stomach and he would kill him. He was going to kill the bastard even if he had to crawl there on his bare hands and knees. Alec walked through the forest and thought as hard as he could where he could find a Wurm. How on earth would he deal with those animals.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Asha

"To your question, in the southern reaches, most have withdrawn to the safety of their city's walls," Asha offers to Lette as she clops heavily along. "Many remnants have taken to banditry--and soldiers have taken to becoming sell-swords and mercenaries, supplementing standing militias and struggling to protect crops before the harvest." Steel shifts as the centaur moves, seemingly nonplussed as citizens of Noah begin to give the woman and her companions wider berth. Once situated from the stables, Asha mutters something beneath her breath as she waits for the pair to mount up--a wary, watchful eye cast about the street nearby, observing any who give the three of them lingering attention.

With the flick of an ear, Asha cocks her head and listens as Martin recounts his tale--nodding slowly when he speaks of service to the small-folk, though his talk of adventures draws a curious look from the centaur. What is said of the steward draws a sterner look from Asha--lips pursed grimly for a moment before she nods again. "Excising the man would be the proper course; but as you say." She dips her head briefly towards the Baron to be, so far as she is concerned--though the sudden distant look which enters his eyes brings her jaw to set, tail twitching for an anxious instant before she seems to turn her attention elsewhere.

By then the gates were fast approaching, the crowd giving ampler room for her passage; to this end, Asha cannot help herself but to take on an almost swaggering canter--the rhythmic report of steps more precise in what skirts on a more soldierly march. Asha's reverie is reigned in once Lette begins to share her own story--ears perked as she looks to the woman with fresh curiosity. Heroes, the writ and charge had declared; precisely what could be made of such heroes was a point of interest indeed. "You were a farmer as well, then?" A brow is raised as Lette is re-assessed; the way she sat in the saddle, at least, seemed to suit such well enough.

Beneath the shadow of the gatehouse the trio treads before emerging out towards the wide world beyond Noah's packed streets. Asha inclines her head again, listening intently as she clops slightly ahead of her two companions--better that way to keep abreast should anything occur. "I had not heard such things of the westward reaches--but stars know what could be behind what you describe." She frowns at the mental image conjured--of derelict dwellings and a family gone missing; within, Asha resolves to keep an especially attentive eye on Lette for the time being.

A warm breeze plays through as Asha is prompted for her own origins--jaw setting for a lingering moment before she draws a slow, deep breath. "I served with the Order of the Argent Ram." She begins crisply, gesturing towards the heraldry upon the kite shield resting at her flank; upon it bore a rampant ram in silver upon red, with a fanning of silver lances spread in a half-crescent over its back. "We were heavy cavalry for the empire--a vanguard to pierce the stoutest lines and breech the strongest bulwarks." Briefly she smiles thinly at this, reflecting upon a memory.

"It seems so long ago, now." A more somber tone, eyes glinting as she scans the tree line in the distance; with another slow breath, Asha glances to either of her companions. "Like so many, my order was lost on the field when the empire bled." A hoof stomps sharply against the road, sending dust high with the step.

"I am the last."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Any thoughts of running after the man are subdued when he realizes that nothing he can say or do will convince Alec to see reason and relax. He didn't like it, but perhaps it would be best for the man to simply wander off for a bit, collapse from exhaustion and then hopefully realize for himself how foolish he is being. With a deep sigh, he sits back down next to Isit and the little gnollings. "You're right, he won't get far at all before he simply collapses. We can fetch him when the others return, if he has not come to his senses by then."

He gives a small smile to Isit, at least she was still her normal self. "It is good to know that you at least can keep your senses about you. Won't be long at all now before the others are back and we can make our move. I would suggest us leaving now to meet them on the road, but in your condition, it may be best to wait here for them and give Alec some time to cool off."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Not ten minutes ago he'd been only barely able to walk. Now? Alec strode with easy grace through the forest. Sometimes the monsters watched him curiously as he walked, but no guards came to stop him. It wasn't a bad forest, come to that, but it wasn't home... of course, who knew if home was home, anymore? He had a duty that had been too many days in abeyance. Why, the others hadn't even wanted to chase down the dragon they'd seen, and now look where they were? Through the winding paths, Alec came to the edge of the forest (though not to the same way he'd come in; there was no road, here.) To the north, the skies began to look ominously gray, and the northman thought he could feel the first touch of a chill wind against his skin despite the heat bubbling inside him. Clearly he'd fought off the fairy poison, and he couldn't even feel the mental scars from the wolf anymore as anything but a memory. To the north, behind a distant row of hills, Alec heard a familiar shrieking roar that reached down to his very bones.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

He was mad so very angry, it consumed every action, as he felt better he started thrashing at the forest itself. To discount their lives so was completely and utterly unforgivable, it would be better to die alone against the Jötunn then even be near them. The rage echoed through his body as he got even angrier thinking about it, and to this point he approached the edge of the forest. Of course there was a dragon now he needed a warband, this curse of fate made his anger even more pronounced. He wanted to kill something, tear it into small pieces as it screamed in agony. He knew this wouldn't make him feel better but it was an urge that permeated through his body. None of this mattered, only one thing mattered now, not spirits who called themselves gods, nor towns. Alec struck north even more angry then he had been before, murderous intent spreading through him.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"I've had a leg wound on top of a days long battle. I won't say this is nothing, but I've had my share of troubles." Shrugging at Lo'el, she smiles and tells a comforting lie. "I'm sure Alec will be fine. He just gets into moods if people don't pay enough attention to him. Maybe the poison made it worse." She doesn't add that it might be better for him to be dead, than suffer insanity like that. And his wife was dead. Unless that was cured he'd likely go crazier.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin de Mignolet

"Excising. Well, that is surely an interesting way to phrase it, my lady," he says as he looks over at the knight, smiling and oddly cheerful as the three set out for the Freehold. "I like it, it may be I'll have to remember that one."

As Asha begins her story, Martin does silent, listening intently. Here was another who had lost so much when the Empire fell; a common refrain in a long and despair-ridden song. Such were these lands in these trying times. "I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your Order," he offers after a moment's silence, gaze downcast in a brief bit of thought. "My father often told me stories of the Imperial cavalry when I was a boy, of their bravery and their prowess in battle. Would that there were more of them left now, the city of Noah dearly needs soldiers of that sort of quality."

Looking back up to the horizon, 'Baron' de Mignolet smiles grimly, and laughs quietly - an oddly uncomfortable chuckle, unlike his usual mirth. "I suppose the fair city will simply have to get by on what it already has," he says bitterly. Perhaps the lack of a deal was bothering him more than he had let on. Maybe, just being reminded of the Empire's fall and the end of the old way of things was still hard to accept. Or it could be anything else - Martin himself certainly did not let on, saying nothing more, and scanning both sides of the road ahead to see if anything noteworthy (or dangerous!) was lurking.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

After a while of simply sitting and feeling the cool evening breeze against his skin and fur, the faun simply can't manage to shake off the thought that letting Alec wander off alone -and under the influence of poison, no less- could be just as dangerous for the man and anyone he happened to run into in his angered state. Better he directs his anger at me then anyone else and risk landing us in ill favor with these people. Rising from the ground, he looks off in the direction Alec stumbled off to and then turns to the others.
"I doubt we should leave him alone though, Isit. I'm going after him. I can't very well sit here and let him collapse unattended. No matter his temper, he is still poisoned and needs to be watched. Now so more then ever perhaps. I'll return soon."

With that, he takes off to follow Alec. With the rate at which the man was moving from his fatigue, it would not take too long to spot the distinctive human amongst a crowd of monsters. However, after some time of walking, listening and searching, the faun stops and scratches his head after being unable to find Alec, unconscious or otherwise. The village was not an overly large place and the man couldn't have gotten too far in this time. The guards would have probably turned the northerner away as they had done to him the night before. Could he have gone into another cabin? He brushes off the unlikely thought as quickly as it comes. Entering another person's home may have taken convincing, something that Alec would likely be unable to do in his current state and foul mood.

With a mix of mild panic and confusion running through him, the faun takes off at a sprint back to his other companions and the doctor, dodging and weaving through villagers as he goes. "Alec is gone." he says between deep breaths as he comes back to the others. "I can't see him in the village and I doubt the guards would have let him pass in his state. If he did slip by... Well, I think we should go find him."

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 19, 2012

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan sighs as he stands. "Hopefully he didn't collapse face first into a puddle or something," he mutters, scratching a rune into the ground. At least he could figure out which direction he went in, if he somehow gave the guards the slip. "I'll try to trace him, see where he ended up."

Casting seeker, rolled a 12 so success, but I'm not sure if it will actually work, given, well, you know

Gus Hobbleton fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 20, 2012

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"If he wandered so far that the fairies have him, there isn't anything we can really do. He's been acting so suicidal lately that maybe this is what he wants. And aren't you guys getting tired of him throwing a fit, then cleaning up his mess? I don't want the man to die, but I'm tired of spending more time catering to his whims, than doing our job. I don't want you two risking yourself for a man that clearly doesn't care about his life. It may sound cruel, but I've seen men die before trying to stop some poor fool from seeking death."

Callous~

NoControl fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 19, 2012

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He watches Dolan cast his spell and finds himself tapping his hoof against the dirt, anticipating bad news to come from the dwarf soon.
Diverting his attention for now, the faun looks to Isit and then to the ground, as if in thought before he speaks; "I..understand." It was a lie and not none he expected would difficult to see through considering his twitching ears. He does not understand at all. Simply sitting here while the man could very well be walking to his death just seems wrong.
"But, I cannot give up on the man without at least trying to help him, even if he is unwilling for my help and my efforts prove futile. I would like to think that he would do the same for us if situations were reversed." Although, he could never even imagine himself getting that angry. "Waiting to tell Martin and Lette that we simply let Alec go under the effects of fatigue and poison is something I cannot do. Our job is to essentially protect this land and keep it safe. How can we expect to succeed in this task if we do not at least look out for each other?"

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit pauses and thinks for a moment. "Let's split the difference. Stick to looking in the forest, but don't stray too far. I realize you are fond of the man, but he has no care for our task, our safety, or his. I merely ask that you do not risk yourself for a man prone to foolish things. If this tantrum doesn't kill him, one in the near future will. You can look, but please no risks. I would hate to lose two because if one man. And it might be a moot point. He could be sleeping it off under a tree."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"Understood, I won't take a foolish risk if it seems that he has gotten into trouble of his own doing. I do hope he is simply just outside the village and in no danger. But, we shall see." He looks back to Dolan, waiting for a result with bated breath.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette shakes her head. "That's sad. We traveled along that way, once, before staying in Beydn, much further south. Have you been? Orchards for miles, and they had the most remarkable master glass makers. My ma got a little vase there — deep red, like a ruby. Did you know they actually use gold to give it that color? I don't know how, and I guess it's not very much, since it wasn't that expensive." Only then does she recall the red fragments scattered on the floor of the cottage.

"Sorry to ramble," she concludes, more subdued in manner. "It was a good trip."

At Asha's question, she raises a brow. "Sure I was. But, um, do you mean 'as well' as my family? Or might you have also farmed? Before entering the service, I mean." She immediately feels silly for even clarifying that. "Um, obviously."

Past the gates, the horse settles into a trot, then a canter as the world opens up before them. The girl notes that the afternoon will soon begin to resolve itself into evening, but they nevertheless seem to be making good time.

Lette turns back as Asha speaks of her order, signalling her shield's relation to the name. She nods. She knows nothing whatsoever of heraldry, but that one made sense to her. And though this is the first time she's heard of the order in question, she frowns to learn of its fate.

"I'm sorry, too," she says, following Martin's condolences. "You're... sure? There's no chance there might be another somewhere, maybe also thinking she's the last? No, I'm sorry, that's... I guess that's a poor question. I don't know.

"...Didn't mean to prod any wound."

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 20, 2012

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Likely there would be no way to know for sure. It's probably best not to talk of such things, though," says Martin with a shrug. He decides to shift the conversation as they ride, back to something more business-oriented. "So once we have delivered our message and returned with the others, what do you think is the next step? With the Queen's army withdrawing we have time to attend to other things I would think." Gesturing with one hand back towards the city, his words begin to come more quickly. "After all the army doesn't seem to have been the mayor's only problem, so I'm sure there's some smaller ways to help the people, perhaps with feats of daring mixed in," he adds with a strangely eager smile.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Listen to you, as if a day off would kill you! We've also got deities to calm, Eagles to watch for, walls to fortify, and, gods willing, sleep to catch up on. Plus the stuff we're not expecting. I'm just hoping to find time for a bath," she adds wistfully.

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 20, 2012

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Asha

"In this, Noah is not unlike a great many cities." Asha offers to Martin regarding an urgent need for soldiers; as the trio moves, the centaur continues to watch what lay ahead. Lette's anecdote draws a curious look and Asha glances her way. "Gold within glass?" She purses her lips. "You needn't apologize--stars know this is a welcome conversation." Her ears perk and she looks to Lette with a nod. "Aye--when I was just a filly I lived on a farm." She smiles thinly. "Different chores, I expect." Lette receives a wink. "It doubtless helped me to grow stronger, though." For a long few moments Asha falls silent and a touch glassy-eyed, staring off in the distance; a frown tugs briefly at her lips before she straightens and quickens her face for a few quick clops.

"I am certain." She finally notes with a nod. "My brethren were at the very heart of the battle that broke it all, where they belonged." Her face grows flush then, jaw tightening. "It is no harm." She offers Lette, ears canted partway back. Martin's change of subject is a welcome one, however--and Asha glances to the man and cocks her head. "There is much I've yet to hear, it seems." She smirks before Lette's remark breaks it to a grin.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

As Dolan writes his spell, he steadily becomes aware of something clouding his extrasensory perception; it's harder than it should be to pick up on the familiar northman's location. Oh no you don't- Voice growls, and with a surge of heat the dwarf can feel her adding her own strength with a different spell. This one seems to be countering the odd, almost illusory warding being thrown out; before she got going, Dolan saw no less than five locations for Dolan, all in different directions. After she finishes though, despite difficulty in keeping his focus that shouldn't be there, he locks in on a single target. It's Alec. And he's... left the forest, somehow. He's walking north. Quickly.

---

The emotions rushed through Alec, one after another, all more potent than they should be. Every one brought a fresh fizz of heat into his blood, a quiet content sense that what he was doing was proper.

Behind him the gap in the forest vanished, like it was never there, but he never looked back

There was a dragon out there. He could hear it. There was a twinge at the back of his mind, but he ignored it. No more crazy mind talking, no more distractions. There was a dragon, and there was dragon blood inside that dragon, and tearing the dragon apart would be... good. Not long until the ridge. Had to be over the ridge, but... as Alec reached the low rise in the ground, it seemed a lot- steeper than it used to. And it stretched a long way off to either side. Climbing it... that'd take a lot of energy, on legs that were pretty heavy now. But the dragon was right over that hill. He had to go after it.

It was only his imagination that smelled cinnamon, that wasn't real. Couldn't be. Cinnamon was silly.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Well, I guess that makes sense. The chores, I mean. Did it belong to your family? Or someone else?"

When Asha recounts vaguely the final moments of her order, a few questions bubble up that Lette ultimately declines to ask. Though the centaur claims to be fine discussing the matter, her manner suggests otherwise. For now, these curiosities would remain shelved.

"I'll say," she replies to the final remark. "Catching you up may have to be a gradual thing. You've probably heard about the army up north led by a demigoddess — Queen Feathershaft, Anadyr's daughter — that may want to invade Noah. Martin and most of the others aren't too keen on her, but I think it's more because they haven't met her. Personally, I think she'll come around to cooperation, even if it has to happen in kind of a funny way. Indirect, like. I think Martin doesn't like that idea because it involves too much talking and not enough swinging from chandeliers." She smirks at the noble. "Just kidding; he can do both. I just wish it didn't always have to be at the same time.

"Then there's Naantali, she's the head of the Freehold we're headed to. They're all really nice, but trying to forge a lasting union between it and Noah is, um... well, it's had some twists to it, and we've only just started trying. I've never even heard of a sphinx marrying a human, before, but I guess that's what would make it such a powerful gesture.

"See, there's lots more than just that, but it's easy to lose track of it, going all at once."

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 20, 2012

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan's head comes up in surprise as Alec's -- the real Alec apparently -- progress becomes apparent. "Fairies work fast, it seems," he says with a sigh. "The northman has left the forest, heading north. Fast. They even tried to block my spell." He looks over at Lo'el. "I suppose you still want to go after him."

Gus Hobbleton fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 20, 2012

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Asha

"Another family's farm." She admits somewhat sheepishly. "I have much respect for farmers and their daughters." She offers Lette a wan smile with this. The subject turns to more serious affairs and Asha nods grimly. "A tense state of affairs. It has been some time since I had caught word of a formal call to arms--is it so?" The centaur tilts her head before raising a bemused brow at Martin. "Do you oft favor chandeliers?" A small part of her is envious of even being able to do so.

Smiling again to her new companions, Asha nods to Lette. "I see; I am familiar with Naantali--not personally, mind." A thin smile. Her head cocks. "Marriage, truly?" Thoughts wander as her imagination comes to play--she lifts her chin, tail flicking sharply. "A not unpleasant notion, in my opinion--but I would expect most humans do not fancy 'monsters', nay?"

My very first phone post, gads that was a bit of work--but didn't want to leave Aeo hanging! :)

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He takes a step back in surprise as Dolan's head jerks up and leans in to hear the result of the spell, ears flickering in anticipation. "North...oh gods. So he walked into their trap?" Or had he been under the fairies spell all along? Hard to know for sure until they caught up to him. If they even could at this point. "Go after him? I mean, we should. Shouldn't we?" He gives the dwarf a wide-eyed, questioning look, almost hoping that he would know how to handle a situation like this. "But, how could he have left the forest already? I thought it stretched on for a good while north. If he has made it that far in such a short time...then we may have to hurry."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"If he's already left then he's moving at least as fast as we could. Probably faster. And if we do catch up, what then? There's only the two of us. The elf is in no condition to ride, and if there's even one of those things it could blind us and poison us as easily as they've taken the northman. Then they'd have three prizes instead of just one." He looks northward, expression unreadable. "No. We'll stay here. The best we can hope for is that he is able to break himself free of them."

Turning, he nods towards Isit. "If you feel yourself trying to run off into the unknown, don't."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec

The dragon was right over the ridge, and he knew what he had to do. He didn't have the hooks but he would have to use his swords to ground it. Then the others would see and come slaughter it. None of them were strong enough for the spikes. This was a problem, he assumed that someone would help from freehold.

He threw himself to the ground and started crawling, it was best to be slow at this point. Crawling taxed him even more, but keeping low was essential. His training in hunting the beasts had kept him alive more than once and more than against dragons. He had never been strong enough to be a Spike Man, nor an Axeman, but he knew that one thing he could do is stab the wings. It would require a blind jump at just the right time.

He unsheathed his sword, and though he did not want to die, Alec was prepared to avenge his people single handedly.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf nods in approval. "Good call, it's almost dusk, and there is no telling what you might find. Perhaps we can look tomorrow." She snorts at Dolan's advice. "I'm not quite that stupid. I'll just sit right here if it's all the same to you."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Nothing wrong with being a tenant. Rather, I mean there's no shame in it; my da could talk himself and other people blue in the face about what's wrong with it. But that's what we did." She shrugs. "But right you are. Soldiers and farmers: some of the oldest and most important jobs there are.

"I don't know much about, um, formality. In war, I mean. But she's been raising the army for at least two months," she says, Recalling when Rial claimed to have joined, "but probably a lot longer, coming from the outer lands to the north. She's recruiting pretty much any sort of warrior she comes across. Noah is building up its walls and looking for assistance from the Freehold, but I don't think anyone's declared anything as such.

"Oh, you've heard of Naantali? Neat. Did you know she worships the stars? I've, um, heard you invoke them a few times. If tonight is not too busy, I was going to see if she'd talk more about it. You should join us! If it happens, I mean. And if you want."

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 20, 2012

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He looks to the dwarf, then north, then back to the dwarf again, not really knowing what to say or do. Dolan's words made sense, even if he did not like the thought of following them. If they did manage to reach the man, they would need to best the fairies as well as an enraged Alec who obviously would not listen to reason or allow himself to be stopped. Even the most clueless of fools would realize the slim chances of succeeding in such a task.
"But...we..maybe-" Looking north and up to the sky for a while, the faun finally lets out a deep sigh and feels his ears flop down to the sides of his head. If only he had just listened to reason... "Even if he does break free, he'll still be in incredible danger if he is that far north by now." In his heart, he knows he cannot blame himself for Alec's actions. Even under the effects of fatigue and poison, the man must be able to understand what he is doing and how foolish it really is. After all, Isit was in a similar condition and still has her wits about her. No, this was Alec's decision. He wants to say that he will do all he can to help him, but there is only so much that can be done now.
"Tomorrow? Gods, I hope he will be alright until then. How did the guards not see him wander off? I hate to imagine what the others will make of all this once they return..."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Lo'el, this is not anything you could have prevented. You can be assured that I would let you know if it was, right? And the others know about Alec and his moods. Poor fool thinks kindness is an attack. They'll understand."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"I know, Isit. In all honesty, I do not think he would have remained with us for very long if he believed that harm was coming -or had come- to his people." He gives the elf a small smile. "Still, I wish he had simply taken the time to think before he marched off into the unknown by himself. We were only trying to help him. It is not as if we insulted the man or his culture?" Had they? Everything had happened so fast, he honestly finds it hard to remember. "Even if he is responsible for his actions here, we should still go after him once we are all together and ready to do so."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit shrugs. "I suppose we could look for him. But honestly, he'll either be gone, or leave no body. Faries aren't wasteful. They use every part of a kill." She pauses a moment to take a sip of water. "And what if we find him and he doesn't return with us? Or if he attacks us? What then? What if by finding him we have to kill him. An unknown fate for that man might weigh on your mind less."

NoControl fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 20, 2012

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"I don't mind talking that much, you know," says Martin with a grin. Amused, he looks over at Asha and sighs dramatically for effect. "Alas, I have found that lately my battles take place where there is nothing to jump or swing on. Unless you can show me how to swing from the sky, and what a trick that would be! But I have been known to go in for a little acrobatics with my swordplay from time to time." This discussion at least had his spirits up, and the road was doing its share for that too. He could only hope the others back in the forest were having as much fun. The constant drone of the clopping of hooves was fading into the background for him now; it was almost peaceful here on the road, unlike how the last trip in this direction turned out.

"Anyway," continues Martin, "Lette has the situation more or less correct, though of course she and I disagree on one particular detail," he notes calmly, with almost an air of indifference; he was at least beginning to accept that the girl was as unlikely to change her mind on the issue as he was to change his. "Though it could be the Queen will find a path to peace in the end, it is not something I would feel comfortable wagering on when dealing with the daughter of War - and I like to hedge my bets," says the 'Baron' with a subdued chuckle.

"Before the fall I imagine most of the North would have called out their banners and consolidated in response, but now there is really only Noah and the Freehold, and while they seem to be good people there, they are not much for formalities," Martin observes, fidgeting with the clasp of his cloak as he speaks. "For that matter neither is Lord Roland. The army to the north of us...who knows how well they stick to the old rules and formalities? But the army is there, for certain, regardless of how it came to be there, a true call to arms or no."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Swing from the sky, he says. From the next horse over, Lette chortles. "Maybe I can!"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Now that's something I would most certainly be surprised to see," Martin replies without much delay, clearly skeptical.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"That's just because you haven't already seen it," she says matter-of-factly. "Alec and Lo'el can tell you all about how well I swing. I can even do it in my sleep," she says, once more enjoying this cryptic inside joke, albeit before a new audience. So amused with herself is she that she does not spare a thought for any other jokes that one might make. "Swing from the sky? Easy as pie."

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 20, 2012

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Martin looks at Lette oddly as they continue along the road, then barely stifles a laugh - too much of a gentleman to make such a crude joke as was clearly so beautifully (yet obliviously) set up, but unable to avoid acknowledging the existence of such potential comments either. Composing himself after a few seconds, he shakes his head. "You're having a laugh, aren't you, my lady? Although there are other jokes that could could be made as well. Others of our friends might make them, but I shall not engage in such base and inelegant sorts of comedy," he suggests in a mock defensive tone, still grinning.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Well, yeah I'm... um, sorry, what?" She pauses, coloring at the implication of baseness and inelegance hiding somewhere within her words.

Oh. Oh. There it is.

"That's..."

Lips drawn and eyes locked on their destination, Lette urges her horse to speed up.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Martin can't help but smile a bit at Lette's reaction. Cheerily, he proceeds to offer friendly (yet somewhat sarcasm-laced) advice as the girl tries to outpace him. "It is best to be careful with words, my lady. I of course would never think to suggest you meant such a thing, but others can and will not have the courtesy to warn you when you have, shall we say, left such an opening."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"I'm not listening!" She shouts, the gap widening to a good ten yards.

• Locked thread