Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Z the IVth posted:

Next WiP. Mecha this time.

I think I'll name it the Thunder God

I love your mech stuff, man. If I ever end up making a tau army I'm gonna use some of your suits for sure. What scale is that mecha in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Pierzak posted:

Do not name it Thunder Child, unless you want it to get junked by the first 3-legged walker with a laser it comes across.

Canonically, it would be the second or third walker that junks Thunder Child. They ram n' kill one walker before the other aliens even realize it's a threat. Heat rays set it aflame as Thunderchild's guns blast at another walker before the aliens cripple their cannons. With it's dying breath, they try to ram the walker they shot at only to be blasted more and explode in a massive fireball, but it's flaming wreckage continues on to ram and destroy a second walker.
:goonsay:

Sorry, but I'm a big War of the Worlds fan. Even have the original radio broadcast on tape somewhere. Name your dreadnoughts 'Thunder Child'. Every last one of them. "Even in searing hot, ammo exploding death, I still serve a whoopin'"

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

So i've been taking a break from my Grey Knights to paint up a Necromunda gang. I was going for a Mad Max kinda style. Apologies for the shoddy pics:

I've got a few more Gang/Inquisitor Retinue projects in the pipeline but right now i'm back on the Grey Knights. I should have another 1000 points finished by the end of summer hopefully! Here's some WIP shots:

Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor

He's gonna be going alongside a churchtank conversion i'm working on, but I'm also going to pick this up next weekend and convert it up:

A tamiya 1/35 German Staff Car. Gonna have a big Inquisitorial hood ornament and blacked out windows. Classy!

Another Orgryn Servitor:

Lastly my Dreadknight, AKA Techno Grandpa's Dialysis Nightmare.

I had a go on my mate's airbrush for the main basecoat. It was alot of fun and i could see the potential for alot of really cool source lighting and blended highlighting techniques. I don't think i'll buy one just yet though. It'll have a greatsword which i'll paint up the same as my usual force weapons: Boltgun metal basecoat with 7-8 Asurmen blue washes over the top.

I'd like to try some fancy NMM or lightning effects for my next armies power weapons, along with much more subtle shading/highlighting on the models in general. Does anyone have any advice or know of any good guides for wet blending?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Got myself one of the new ork bomma kits, not going actually use it in game so I decided to slap as much dakka on it as possible

It is a pretty sweet kit for the all the options it gives you; here are some wip pics (excuse the phone camera)

Before anyone mentions it, the barrels will be drilled :v:

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008
When life gives you lovely prepainted miniatures... make lemonade! :v:

Any similarities to the Blade heroclix figures are purely coincidental!

"Chief, can I hold my gun sideways? It just looks so cool!"

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Pierzak posted:

Do not name it Thunder Child, unless you want it to get junked by the first 3-legged walker with a laser it comes across.

You're such a pessimist. Besides, I have yet to see Z^IV make a three-legged walker.

Hint hint.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.
Hey I've got a question for anyone who's re-based their painted minis with resin bases.

First- What's the best way to get the old base off? I don't want to mangle their feet with clippers, so any tips would be good.

Second- When putting these guys on the new bases, how do I best secure them to the base? the ones I am looking at are certainly not flat, so I don't think glue is the best way. I was thinking putting a touch of greenstuff under their feet to create a good bond

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Mt. ORourke posted:

Hey I've got a question for anyone who's re-based their painted minis with resin bases.

First- What's the best way to get the old base off? I don't want to mangle their feet with clippers, so any tips would be good.

Second- When putting these guys on the new bases, how do I best secure them to the base? the ones I am looking at are certainly not flat, so I don't think glue is the best way. I was thinking putting a touch of greenstuff under their feet to create a good bond

Pinning is your friend.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Mt. ORourke posted:

Break the old base by snapping it like a communion wafer, then clip off the metal tab and then follow Devlan Mud's advice.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

Glue the sticks to some paper and use a heavy pair of scissors to cut them?

I wasn't very descriptive; that's actually what I did. I snipped up a couple sticks and glued a patch of them to really thin paper and then went at them with scissors cause I knew just the sticks alone would just fall apart once I started cutting. It wasn't too difficult but coffee stirrers are tougher than I thought they would be for how god drat small they are. I just need to be a lot more careful/accept that I can't have super perfect circles.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Would it be easier to cut balsa circles (with a circle cutter/hole saw) and then indent some plank lines on with a ballpoint?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The Heckler posted:

Lastly my Dreadknight, AKA Techno Grandpa's Dialysis Nightmare.

This is loving sweet.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
What do people think of the Studio McVey minis? They have a kickstarter going for a Sedition Wars game with 80 assorted minis included in the box. It's a board game which appeals to me, but it's cross over tactical miniatures game which is getting me interested in this hobby.

They are already available as limited edition resin models (although the game figures are the same sculpts in plastic). Has anyone here painted them or seen them? Are they liked or loathed (or ignored)?

I hope I haven't broken any rules by mentioning a kickstarter campaign but this is inspiring me to paint a miniature which I havent done since my mum gave me some lead D&D wizards in 1983!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm getting the Biohazard set, which gives you all the extra models that come with the goals that have been reached...plus I'm paying more for the terrain pack, Dr. Ridley and the extra figure that was just announced. The Biohazard set is the best deal, you get I think double the number of standard figures plus lots of resin figures, custom dice and lots more. Much of it won't be available online (just at conventions) after the Kickstarter is finished.

e: I wanted to get a list together of all the stuff I'm getting, so here's what you get in the normal set for $80:
  • 50 highly detailed 28mm miniatures
  • 50 Scenic miniature bases
  • 5 double sided full colour expandable game boards
  • 60 page rules and scenario book
  • Vanguard and Strain stat cards
  • 100+ full colour game counters
  • plastic counters
  • alternate Vanguard Trooper sculpt
  • alternate Strain Phase 1 Sculpt
  • Barker Zosa, an elite heavy weapons Vanguard character!
  • Downloadable campaign
  • signed print by Mike McVey

Biohazard sets get the above, plus:
  • A resin limited edition Kara,
  • 12 additional Vanguard troopers
  • 12 additional Strain Phase 1 and Phase 2
  • 2 additional Phase 3 Brimstone
  • 2 additional Phase 3 Scythe Witch
  • 1 additional AI Drone
  • 1 additional Grendlr
  • Six custom dice
  • painting DVD

And the additions you can get:
  • $50 Lights Out Campaign Pack: a set of 15 glow-in-the-dark Strain figures and a set of 11 clear plastic (camo'd) Vanguard pack - or get the sets individually for $30 each; they're including extra figures with Biohazard sets, from what I can understand
  • $30 Terrain Pack with doors and various things: 2 x Exocyst, 2 x Necrocyst, 2 x Macrophage, 2 x Genstation, 2 x Spore Engine, 12 x Security Doors, 12 x Normal Double Doors, 12 x Narrow Doors, 12 x Crates / Low cover / Terminals, 2 x Teleport Control, 2 x Havoc Defense Turret, 2 x Auto-Doc, 6 x Corpse
  • $10 2 sets of dice (3 in green, 3 in blue) (If you have Biohazard set you're already getting these, but these are probably a one-time offer so you might want to get another set)
  • $10 'Dr. Ridley' (Ripley from Aliens, complete with rescued little girl); Biohazard set gets an infected Ridly
  • $10 Firebrand engineer figure; Biohazard set will get an infected engineer once the goal has been reached

Some figures are noted as shipping in March 2013, just keep that in mind. The game set is due to be released in November.

Gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A49F4Ntjm2Q
Miniatures overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or0RrZpZ-Tk

I'm totally pimping for this because I want to get get more free stuff with my set. So here's the link for the Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/sedition-wars-battle-for-alabaster It's been posted before in other threads so I don't think there's any issues with posting it again.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 18, 2012

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
I've got a few of their resin pieces, and the best description is probably "flawless" in terms of cast quality. Great sculpts, too - Mike McVey himself may not be the greatest sculptor on earth, but he's a hell of a studio manager with an eye for hiring the best in the business. The stuff they've had Yannick Hennebo do for them ranges from awesome to completely insane, and I'm not at all surprised that their pieces tend to be the things wearing award-winning paintjobs. I expect the Sedition Wars stuff to live up to their existing rep.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Have they said what the models are going to be made of? They're not shipping resin with that set, are they?

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Biohazard includes one resin piece and the rest are made of some high quality plastic. Whatever that means.

This is the level I kicked in for plus the 70 piece terrain pack. And I have no idea how to paint anything despite having lurked this thread for a couple of years.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I did a big edit above of what you're supposed to get in the different sets. Biohazard level plus any optional models is definitely the way to go.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The models in sedition wars look pretty rad. I watched the vid on the kickstarter and the game mechanics seem pretty legit too. Its probabably in the "wargame lite" category, but theres nothing wrong with that if thats what you are looking for :]

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
The miniatures look awesome, but I really don't like the way they are holding their rifles in their shoulder for a lot of them. Looks really awkward and puts me off a bit.

Also, I have no money for this so it's a moot prospect in any case. I had to pull out of the Mantic kickstarter due to lack of funds, and that's getting ridiculously good at the moment.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah I'm going to be trying Infinity soon and Sedition Wars looks right up my alley too.

On a whim I typed https://www.seditionwars.com in my browser and apparently they've got a fully-featured site with a background of the setting, the factions and everything. They've even details of the various factions and you can buy many of the models right now. The Kickstarter set will include plastic versions of all the resin models I guess. Don't know why they don't mention any of this on the Kickstarter page.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

stabbington posted:

I've got a few of their resin pieces, and the best description is probably "flawless" in terms of cast quality. Great sculpts, too - Mike McVey himself may not be the greatest sculptor on earth, but he's a hell of a studio manager with an eye for hiring the best in the business. The stuff they've had Yannick Hennebo do for them ranges from awesome to completely insane, and I'm not at all surprised that their pieces tend to be the things wearing award-winning paintjobs. I expect the Sedition Wars stuff to live up to their existing rep.

Yeah, I have a Dark Emissary (or whatever the creepy guy on the horse with the scroll is called) and flawless is the correct word. I also have a Ruby but haven't built her yet.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Mike McVey totally looks like the Mouth of Sauron.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

pw pw pw posted:

I love your mech stuff, man. If I ever end up making a tau army I'm gonna use some of your suits for sure. What scale is that mecha in?

It's free-scale for now. Can be used as a 28mm robot (no space to fit a pilot inside) or a 15mm Battlemech-type thing.

Sole.Sushi posted:

You're such a pessimist. Besides, I have yet to see Z^IV make a three-legged walker.

Hint hint.

One day when I make another Freudian slip during sculpting you'll see the 3-legged mech of your dreams...

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Adding pouches to the vest. I also started on a tomahawk I want to add as part of his equipment. Any other ideas for recognizable non pouchform equipment he can carry in his vest? Some rope? Taking suggestions.

The gun evolves soooo slowly.

The alien concept. Can you tell I'm having a blast with it?

Gonna start another. I'll try to cast them, maybe because of the huge size it'll come out nicer without a pressure chamber.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
For those who are familiar with the Reaper Paint line, I need help identifying a color. I received a pot of it for ordering some minis from their store and it's an awesome color, I just can't figure out what it's called. I tried paint conversion charts like http://www.squaretablegaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/GW_Paint_Conversion_Chart_yJR.pdf but I am coming up empty handed. It's a very very very dark brown grey almost black. This is a longshot but it's one of my favorite colors now and I want to order more.

Here's a pic of the bottle if anyone can help. Reaper said it's just a paint sample and they don't have a color name because it's a random sample they put in the box.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

It doesn't have a number or anything on the other side? Not a very good sample if you don't know what to reorder.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Fix posted:

It doesn't have a number or anything on the other side? Not a very good sample if you don't know what to reorder.

Nope. It's the same thing on the label on both sides. "MSP SAMPLE Master Series Paint"

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Reaper does that. They have colors that are in development that don't yet have names or product numbers, and they throw them as free gifts into orders. You can't order more because it's not actually a color in the line. They had a pink for breast cancer month last year, and a christmasy green for the holidays, and then a sort of yellowy brown, and now apparently this.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
1.5 hours of painting!

AHHHH I LOVE SEEING HOW FAST I CAN loving PAINT!

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
I painted some Bloodcrushers! 12 of them. It took a month. Never again - hopefully 6th doesn't make them worthless somehow or I might have to cut myself.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Instead of working on my oath I have painted my first piece of terrain. I will save you the extra comedy of seeing my still unprimed but still very much oathed devastators sit atop it. :(

Again, very first thing bigger than a dread, give me the criticism. I think I'm going to build it a base, for style

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That looks really good, is it a kit or scratch-built?

I just build my first piece of terrain last night, out of foam board. It's a lot harder than I thought to make it look nice and detailed! It'll take more than some glued-on rocks and sand to make it look good. I'm going to have to add some wires and rebar to the floors where they've broken off, and some broken-off drinking straw segments for gutters and piping on the outside.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
That looks great Nichol, makes me wish I had done something more dynamic with my own manufactorum.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
OK, I'm going to go with 'kit' as the answer!

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
You should check out GW:s Cities of Death terrain, awesome kits.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

Nichol posted:

Instead of working on my oath I have painted my first piece of terrain. I will save you the extra comedy of seeing my still unprimed but still very much oathed devastators sit atop it. :(

Again, very first thing bigger than a dread, give me the criticism. I think I'm going to build it a base, for style

Looks incredible mate. Definitley give it a base though.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

dexefiend posted:

1.5 hours of painting!

AHHHH I LOVE SEEING HOW FAST I CAN loving PAINT!

I loving love the cloak on that miniature. How did you do it?

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008

Verdugo posted:

For those who are familiar with the Reaper Paint line, I need help identifying a color. I received a pot of it for ordering some minis from their store and it's an awesome color, I just can't figure out what it's called. I tried paint conversion charts like http://www.squaretablegaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/GW_Paint_Conversion_Chart_yJR.pdf but I am coming up empty handed. It's a very very very dark brown grey almost black. This is a longshot but it's one of my favorite colors now and I want to order more.

Equally a long shot, with what the others have said about it being promo only, but you could look at: http://www.reapermini.com/PowerPalette Maybe the system will recommend you something which is at least close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Motherfucking Cork, great for standing miniatures up right.

I want to sort of blend the cork pieces together at the bottom, I was thinking texture paste/medium to soften the transition to the plastic inside the rim, might work I think, any Goon suggestions?

gently caress this model if it falls over though, those stacks had to be pinned like a bitch so I think I'll need to weigh down the base at the bottom.

• Locked thread