Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
If HM64 or BTN, or even Friends of Mineral Town came out as a rebuilt game with a veneer of modern polish on it, and released to the Nintendo Store or on Vita or something, it would be great. And yet, I can't see them doing anything sensible or fan-satisfying with the series in the near future. At this point, my biggest hope is some more Dojin soft poo poo that gets localized by one of the indie companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So I noticed Harvest Moon 3D: Two Towns Of Something is down to 20$ at Gamestop, would anyone say it's worth it? I hadn't really heard too much buzz about the 3DS version, is it pretty much the exact same?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shirec posted:

I wouldn't mind revisiting the characters, with fresh dialogue and new scenes, etc.
I wouldn't mind new scenes and new stuff to unearth, but please, keep the weird original script with some syntax fixes and that's it. Pretty much that entire game was translated so awkwardly that it looped around to being an amazing localization. Not only did the interactions make sense and feel real, but pretty much every line in it has a very zen platitude quality to it.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Dear villain in Tides of Destiny: Stop singing, for the love of all that is holy, stop singing I will stab myself if it will get you to shut the gently caress up.

Anyhow, I really wish the town in Tides actually was impacted by your adventure. I mean, yeah there is like 1 thing and a few cutscenes, but nothing serious.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Fancy Hat! posted:

So I noticed Harvest Moon 3D: Two Towns Of Something is down to 20$ at Gamestop, would anyone say it's worth it? I hadn't really heard too much buzz about the 3DS version, is it pretty much the exact same?

There's a comparison here http://www.fogu.com/hm10/ds_vs_3ds.php

It's the exact same except for a few minor things. The screen shows more just being on the 3DS, theres a floating stamina bar and chatboxes. There's a petting minigame as well and some streetpass stuff that youd probably never use.

There's a lot of people saying the 3ds version crashes often, but it doesnt seem to affect everyone but enough that I'd be wary of the 3DS version. Some Natsume representative commented on it on their forums and it has to do with some kind of memory leak. They recommended you quit to the 3DS menu or turn off/on the 3ds every game day to reset the memory.

PlushCow fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 12, 2012

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I just picked up Tides of Destiny the other day, and am currently having a lot of fun playing through it. Does anyone know other games that are similar to the Rune Factory series in terms of farming + rpg elements?

Those have always been my favorite elements in games - balancing an external pressure to do something like farm for more power in addition to being able to just go into a dungeon and level up traditionally.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Dirk the Average posted:

I just picked up Tides of Destiny the other day, and am currently having a lot of fun playing through it. Does anyone know other games that are similar to the Rune Factory series in terms of farming + rpg elements?

Specifically farming and RPG? I can't think of anything of the like. How about running a shop and RPG elements (including dungeon crawling)? Recettear is a wonderful game well worth your money. Goon localized, too.

Other than that, man, I dunno. Maybe Innocent Life, which was another Harvest Moon offshoot for the PSP. I really don't know much about it, though.

Buy Rune Factory 3 if you haven't already!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Isn't BTN/FOMT pretty much already a remake of HM64?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Dear villain in Tides of Destiny: Stop singing, for the love of all that is holy, stop singing I will stab myself if it will get you to shut the gently caress up.

Odette's singing (and the Song of Blessing itself) is infinitely worse. :colbert:
Masked Man's singing and the Song of Creation is quite pleasant, it's too bad that the entire song is only used in two sections of the game (and those are essentially back-to-back).

At the start of Creation...

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Whizbang posted:

Isn't BTN/FOMT pretty much already a remake of HM64?

Not really. It's closer to a different game that reused character designs and names.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hondo82 posted:

Some Natsume representative commented on it on their forums and it has to do with some kind of memory leak. They recommended you quit to the 3DS menu or turn off/on the 3ds every game day to reset the memory.

How about patching it instead? Crazy, I know, spending one or two hours fixing your game, but 3DS games can and should be patched when needed.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
Watching a video of A New Beginning gameplay, they have an 'edit mode'- I haven't played every DS title, has this showed up in the series before? It looks like it's basically a mode to place items around your farm and town yet isn't part of normal gameplay. Just another confounding design decision :shrug:

bomblol fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 12, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's basically an Animal Crossing style decoration thing, only you can do it for your entire farm.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

PoisonedV posted:

Watching a video of A New Beginning gameplay, they have an 'edit mode'- I haven't played every DS title, has this showed up in the series before? It looks like it's basically a mode to place items around your farm and town yet isn't part of normal gameplay. Just another confounding design decision :shrug:

It is the big gimmick of the game, along with being able to customize your farmer's appearance. Considering how well it has sold in Japan, folks bought right into it.

I Watson fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 12, 2012

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I Watson posted:

It is the big gimmick of the game, along with being able to customize your farmer's appearance. Considering how well it has sold in Japan, folks bought right into it.

Does anyone know if it is a fun gimmick or not? The last time they had something like that was the HM DS game, and I hosed that right up with building placement and wasting parts of my field.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Based on the demo I saw at E3, you could basically pick up and move any building in the town at your discretion. So you can lay out the town in a way that best fits whatever you're focusing on at the moment.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I will be highly disappointed in all of you if we don't get a single screenshot of a penis shaped town. :colbert:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Wandering Knitter posted:

I will be highly disappointed in all of you if we don't get a single screenshot of a penis shaped town. :colbert:

Welcome to Dicksville

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
So I'm someone who hasn't played a harvest moon game since the PS2 and I've recently been having a harvest itch that must be scratched. Would it be better if I went back and played one of the older games or went out to find a new one? I have the resources to play any of the PS2,Gamecubes,DS or PSP titles. Preferably DS or PSP though since I have better access to those.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Lucinice posted:

So I'm someone who hasn't played a harvest moon game since the PS2 and I've recently been having a harvest itch that must be scratched. Would it be better if I went back and played one of the older games or went out to find a new one? I have the resources to play any of the PS2,Gamecubes,DS or PSP titles. Preferably DS or PSP though since I have better access to those.

The general suggestion in this thread has gone like this.

If you want what is considered the best of the Harvest Moon games AND its spinoffs, then Rune Factory 3 for the DS is the way to go. If you are unfamiliar with the Rune Factory series, it's Harvest Moon in a fantasy-style setting, with dungeon crawling. You battle (and tame!) monsters with your choice of weapon and magic. It diverges a fair bit from the standard Harvest Moon gameplay, but there is a lot of stuff to do, and the villagers have way, WAY more interaction possible. There is still farming, marriage, and house leveling, however, and the villagers have the added distinction of being completely insane.

If you're looking for something in the core series, Harvest Moon: A Tale of Two Towns has generally been the best received among the DS HM games. I'm not too wild on it, but it was much more fun, to me, than the preceding DS titles.

Animal Parade for the Wii I can't personally vouch for, but people have said very nice things about it. For example.

Roland Jones posted:

Agreeing with the support of Animal Parade; it's by far the best of the console games I've played, excluding possibly HM64. It definitely has a lot of nice things that make the game more fun and easier/less frustrating.

Speaking of Harvest Moon 64, it's still my favorite in the core HM series, now relegated to second overall thanks to RF3. If you've never played it, I suggest you do so!

Apparently you can get the PS1 title, Back to Nature in the Playstation Store for the PSP. I have no idea as to the quality of the port, however.

Try going through this Wikipedia List if you'd like to take a closer look at things. I highly suggest RF3, and most people who wind up playing it love it, so be advised!

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Lucinice posted:

Preferably DS or PSP though since I have better access to those.

Hero of Leaf Valley is the newest PSP title and looks to be of the Save the Homeland lineage. You also have Innocent Life, the failed cousin of Rune Factory. I would pick that one up as cheaply as possible or even rent it if you can, I have heard a lot of mixed reviews for it.

In other news, RPGamer has (at times painful) videos for A New Beginning and Reccetear for iOSProject Happiness up.

e: There is a new RF4 trailer out as well.

I Watson fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 14, 2012

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
I've started playing Shepherd's Crossing 2 again with the intention of "beating" it so I can move on to more farming games guilt-free. I'd forgotten how bleak the game was. Unlike Harvest Moon, which is all about having fun farming and going out on dates and falling in love, Shepherd's Crossing is about barely eking out a living in the mountains, slaughtering your own food and worrying about whether you've planted enough crops to survive the winter. Conversations with villagers generally focus on food. No one has time to chat with you about their dreams for the future or plans to open up a beach cafe or whatever. There's no time for romance in their world.

If you're a girl and you want to get married, you need to knit bedcovers to woo prospective husbands. There are cheap men who will accept just one bedcover, but if you want to marry someone decent, you need to knit 2 or 3 bedcovers, or possibly even 4. Bedcovers take loving forever to make: you need 11 wool, and you get 1 wool per sheep every spring. I sold off a bunch of my other livestock to make room for more sheep and now, in year 13, I've just finished my second bedcover. 2 bedcovers is enough to marry the handsome butcher, Giles! I had decided in my first year that he was my favourite bachelor, so I was really looking forward to marrying him.

I went to the mayor with my intentions, and he agreed to negotiate our marriage contract. He went to Giles's house and I got a cutscene that went something like this:

:corsair: Hey, you should marry naptalan, she's a nice lady and a hard worker to boot!
:geno: No, I don't think so. I'm in love with <other woman from the village>, I think I'm going to propose to her.
:corsair: Don't be stupid! She'd never marry YOU. You should settle for naptalan instead.
:geno: I'm still not sure...
:corsair: Look, marriage isn't about love! naptalan is a strong woman and financially stable, she's knitted TWO bedcovers for you! Marry her!
:geno: Well... OK, I guess.

Another cutscene triggers after a few short images of unsmiling people in wedding attire. Giles and I are in my home talking. He tells me that he's going to be working away from the farm every spring and winter and he'll give me his salary to spend as I wish. The cutscene ends; I'm alone in my house.

:suicide:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Romance is overrated :allears:

Did I post that new RF4 trailer yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qPwdJqxSww

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

That is the most Japan thing ever.

I do hope Rune Factory 4 continues what worked in 3. Mainly that the towns folk once again are completely insane but please flesh them out a bit more.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
So if Rune Factory 3 came out in America a full year after it dropped in Japan, what's the story with RF4? Are we actually going to see a quicker localization, or no? I imagine no.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Not yet, but I did.

RF4 isn't out in Japan yet or was trotted out by Natsume at their E3 booth, so I wouldn't expect it until Fall of 2013. I expect Natsume's energy to be focused on Project Happiness once they finish with Land of Beginning, but who knows, maybe they are waiting to recieve RF4 so they can knock it out first.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I Watson posted:

Not yet, but I did.

Oops, sorry.

Great news for Eurogoons, we are finally getting both versions of Tale of Two Towns in the 29th of June. No alpaca plushies. No RF4 before 2015 at this rhythm.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

naptalan posted:

Another cutscene triggers after a few short images of unsmiling people in wedding attire. Giles and I are in my home talking. He tells me that he's going to be working away from the farm every spring and winter and he'll give me his salary to spend as I wish. The cutscene ends; I'm alone in my house.

:suicide:

The more I play SC2 the more I love it. I've been hammering out an LP, but it requires a lot of research. Maybe one day.

Also don't feel so bad! The joke is that all of the guys want to marry Elizabeth, aka the super fat rich woman. Because she's super fat and rich.

I usually end up marrying the Hunter, just because he always seems happy when I bring him home cooking. :shobon:

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Oops, sorry.

It's all good my fellow harvest goon. :hfive:

Oh god Knitter, a SC2 LP would be the best if you spun it right.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

I Watson posted:

It's all good my fellow harvest goon. :hfive:

Oh god Knitter, a SC2 LP would be the best if you spun it right.

Honestly I was thinking of some Let's Play/Let's Cook hybrid since (as naptalan pointed out) a lot of the conversations in the game revolve around food. Maybe I'll cook some of the easier recipes and find information/videos on the ones I won't be able to do. As much as I'd love to give it a shot I don't think I can make roast cavy in NJ. :v:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

I Watson posted:

Innocent Life, the failed cousin of Rune Factory. I would pick that one up as cheaply as possible or even rent it if you can, I have heard a lot of mixed reviews for it.

Innocent Life does a lot of things right, but I'd agree with picking it up for cheap. I really dig the Pinocchio story of you guiding your young robot along the path to become a real boy, but the gameplay gets stale sooner than it should. Even with the benefit of a walkthrough, there is a lot of driving around looking for poo poo so you can unlock parts of your farm. Don't get me wrong--it's a well-crafted, beautiful game, but it's not for everybody.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
I've just started playing Harvest Moon : Animal Parade on the Wii and it's my first Harvest Moon game. I freely admit to feeling pretty overwhelmed by what's going on and after looking up a few faqs they mostly seem to be written for the "min/max 50th go-round brigade" with full on spoilers and not someone who just wants to have a few pointers on what would be a good way to play without completely hamstringing you later on.

I'm as good as right at the start of the game, 2 animals (calf + chick) and seem to have basic growing stuff sorted and the bridge just opened apparently after I delivered some munchies to the hungry repairman. Is there a specific "Finish the game by Xyz date or you get turfed out by the Lettuce Mafia" or can I take my time doing the crops/animal chores first thing and spend each day roaming around doing something different forever a la Animal Crossing?

Apologies if I've missed a decent starter guide/primer somewhere.

Edit : VVV It was the very first hit on google as well but I thought it was the GameDevs page with the wiki the link after it, sorry >.< :suicide: Looks like just what I was after, thanks!

Fazana fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 19, 2012

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Honestly I was thinking of some Let's Play/Let's Cook hybrid since (as naptalan pointed out) a lot of the conversations in the game revolve around food. Maybe I'll cook some of the easier recipes and find information/videos on the ones I won't be able to do. As much as I'd love to give it a shot I don't think I can make roast cavy in NJ. :v:

That would be a fantastic LP. I love ones that mix the game with cool info bits, like Zorak's Endless Ocean and fish facts.

naptalan, that sounds hella depressing and funny all at the same time. I don't think I've ever played a game where people were settling for the main character. It almost sounds like you are a side character or NPC for another game.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Fazana posted:

I've just started playing Harvest Moon : Animal Parade on the Wii and it's my first Harvest Moon game. I freely admit to feeling pretty overwhelmed by what's going on and after looking up a few faqs they mostly seem to be written for the "min/max 50th go-round brigade" with full on spoilers and not someone who just wants to have a few pointers on what would be a good way to play without completely hamstringing you later on.

I'm as good as right at the start of the game, 2 animals (calf + chick) and seem to have basic growing stuff sorted and the bridge just opened apparently after I delivered some munchies to the hungry repairman. Is there a specific "Finish the game by Xyz date or you get turfed out by the Lettuce Mafia" or can I take my time doing the crops/animal chores first thing and spend each day roaming around doing something different forever a la Animal Crossing?

Apologies if I've missed a decent starter guide/primer somewhere.

Nah, we're here to help. There is no time limit to the story, so take your time if you wish to. You will need to advance the story to get access to services like the windmill though.

I am unsure if you've found this one or not, but Fogu has a good page for the game that seperates story points into their own sections so you can't be spoiled. Just watch out venturing into their forums, I fondly call it 'GameFAQs for 13 year old girls and the women who act like them'. There be lots of x.x, ^-^;;;;;, and 'why is there no yaoi in the games?!??!?!' afoot there.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Looks like RF4 and Soul Hackers will be the games that will make me get a 3DS. RF4 is looking pretty drat good in the dungeon department compared to 3.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

naptalan posted:

Stuff about Shepherd's Crossing 2

:aaa:

Wow, I had NO IDEA the game was like that. I just saw the anime people on the box and figured it was like an an off-brand Harvest Moon. After your description, I really want to play. Hello, Amazon wishlist!

I would follow this from day 1.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Catalina posted:

:aaa:

Wow, I had NO IDEA the game was like that. I just saw the anime people on the box and figured it was like an an off-brand Harvest Moon. After your description, I really want to play. Hello, Amazon wishlist!

The amazing thing about the game is that I've probably played it more than most people on the internet and there's still stuff I'm trying to figure out. Like what's the best main/side crops to eat? Is it better to cook to raise your food levels, or just spam potatoes and turnips? What about the lifespans of animals? Why do my chickens always have a high infant death rate? What are the differences between husbands/wives?

Not to mention I'm still trying to figure out the perfect farm set up. I think the secret is focusing mainly on rabbits, but I was having a serious problem with slow down.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
Re: Shepherd's Crossing chat, I just wish someone had told me that if you leave -insert animal type here- meat out for a day or two it turns into meat scraps for your pets.

This is making me want to play again. I don't actually want to play SC2 again. :suicide: indeed.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy

nonnemaus posted:

Re: Shepherd's Crossing chat, I just wish someone had told me that if you leave -insert animal type here- meat out for a day or two it turns into meat scraps for your pets.

This is making me want to play again. I don't actually want to play SC2 again. :suicide: indeed.

You can use generic 'meat' as pet food, and it fills a good chunk of it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Romance is overrated :allears:

Did I post that new RF4 trailer yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qPwdJqxSww
I always hate watching the Japanese trailers for Rune Factory. It makes me so sad that the good list of voice actors will be replaced by crappy dubbing. I know it's only a few lines at most but still.

• Locked thread