Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Flavor Bear posted:

:siren:MY PROBATION IS OVER AFTER TODAY:siren:
:toot: :slick: :parrot: :dance: :holy: :mmmhmm: :neckbeard: :woop: :snoop:

:feelsgood:

Two goddamn years.

You can tell you've spent too much time on SA when you read this, then immediately click on the person's rap sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm going to be doing a Foreign Language program where I get a private tutor and do a total immersion dinner four nights a week(Can't speak in English for anything during it), and room with other people learning Chinese. It costs a grand total of $100 more a year over normal room and board.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
My birthday is next week! :toot::dance::toot: And for the first time in a while I don't feel lovely about getting older and not having made something of myself by now!

Also, found my ring! :neckbeard: I don't often find rings that fit me, and even less often do I spend money on jewelery for myself. Never letting this little bastard out of my sight again.

Malachite_Dragon has a new favorite as of 12:55 on Jun 19, 2012

Car Stranger
Feb 16, 2005

My life pretty much owns right now really. I'm going on holiday tomorrow, found out earlier that I've managed to get an interview after I return for a great sounding internship, spent last night and this morning smoking joints and having sex with someone I really like and it was sunny and nice while I was walking through town on the way home. Treated myself to a peach iced tea :3:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

You can tell you've spent too much time on SA when you read this, then immediately click on the person's rap sheet.

It was worse for me, because I sat here thinking 'Umm... if it only ends after today, how is he posting this?'

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

theHUNGERian posted:

Today I completed my PhD work.

While this in itself is already awesome it is even more awesome because I never finished high school.
Congratulations! I have a pair of friends who dropped out at age 15 and 17, both now have their PhD (in applied linguistics and mathematics respectively.) It's definitely a harder road but not impossible to achieve if you're focused :) An aside, it has to feel sort of good when you hear people say that drop outs never get anywhere. I know I smirk a bit when someone says that to me.

Today is awesome because I don't need to have further tests on my thyroid! Nothing indicates cancer so it is going to be monitored and we'll check it again in 6 months.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Woke up in my new flat, walked into the living room and realised that, despite all the poo poo I've been through and am still dealing with, I am a Real Life Adult and stuff is going to be ok. Feels like a new start and I'm acting like it is too.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
My cat ate my Adderall and I thought he was gonna die. Then he threw it back up! Never die, Catbear.

Cardboardstu
Apr 8, 2009
Today I got out of work an hour early, it's beautiful weather and in an hour I'm going on a date with Cute Tattooed Bar Girl from near where I work. Wednesdays are fantastic.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The engineering team where I work is me and a couple of other guys, we're currently in a big open plan office with the support team and it's too noisy. Today I found out that we're moving to our own little office which will be quieter and much cooler in this heat :D

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
I bought £9 worth of electricity because I'm a chumpity chump who is poor and has a pay-as-you-go meter, and £6 worth of cheap groceries. I was only charged for the groceries and realised such on the walk home. So I walked all the way back to the store and paid for the electricity, too. £9 is a lot to me on some days, but like gently caress I could ever look any of the staff of that place in the eye again if I didn't.

Till clerk was so grateful and happy it was drat near contagious, and now -I'm- all bright and beaming.

Edit: And I just had someone mail me out of the blue to buy something i've had up for sale for months, came over the same night, bought it for the asking price. I really like to think this is karma at work.

Hotwire has a new favorite as of 22:11 on Jun 20, 2012

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I should be pissed because they canceled the showing of Prometheus I was going to see, so I have to wait 3 hours and see it in regular 2D. BUT, it's a really nice day out, I had a Jones soda, and I came up with a hilariously bad pickup line and made myself chuckle. So that's good.

Cardboardstu
Apr 8, 2009
Even better mood, date with Cute Tattooed Bar Girl was amazing, and I have the biggest smile. N'aww.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

More ashamed of my rap sheet on SA than my real life rap sheet.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

[High school drop out finishes PhD]

Cup of Hemlock posted:

I would love to hear how this happened!

I grew up in Germany, where you study 10 subjects in high school. All of those subjects, except math and physics, bored me to death, and I never studied for them. This earned me a transcript that was full of Cs, Ds, and an F, while getting B+s in Math and Physics. I realized I would never make it in Germany. Halfway through 11th grade, I left high school and came to the US where I have some family. The local community college (De Anza, Cupertino) didn't give a rats rear end about my HS grades as long as I paid tuition and passed their entrance exams - I aced their math and physics tests. I then transferred to a 4 year college (UCSC) where I finished my BS in physics. In my final year, I conducted experiments at the synchrotron (particle accelerator) at Stanford University -> research experience. After undergrad I got into grad school (UCSB) where I got my MS and PhD in electrical and computer engineering. I worked on silicon photonics where I designed, fabricated, and tested optoelectronic chips. Straight out of grad school, I ended up getting an amazing job (industrial postdoc) paying close to 6 figures. And best of all, I got to stay in Santa Barbara, CA.

Today was awesome because an experiment I feared would fail miserably worked out quite well.

Mmmm Pie
Jun 17, 2007
Me like pie
I had good rides on 2 horses today, took my car title to DMV to get my ex-husband's name off of my car, and got a new case of Kona beer.
Didn't get to see my new, amazing boyfriend today, hopefully tomorrow.
In the meantime, I'm listening to my dog make nursing sounds in her sleep :3

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
Why was my yesterday awesome?

I got to hear my childs heartbeat for the first time. 25 weeks in and I got to hear it. Good strong heartbeat too, according to the midwives.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Today I went to the dentist and learned that I won't need to get fillings anytime soon. And tomorrow I'm going on a 5 hour trip to see my super-awesome girlfriend for the weekend!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Came home, had some homemade buffalo wings, macaroni salad and corn on the cob. Topped it off with an awesome dessert recipe I found online for "cheesecake filled strawberries":

One pound fresh strawberries
4oz. cream cheese
3-4 teaspoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
graham cracker crumbs (for cheesecake/pie crust)

All you do clean the strawberries, cut a little of the top off and hollow 'em out. Then, blend the cream cheese, vanilla and sugar together, put it in a piping bag (or a sandwich-type baggie with a corner cut off) and use it to squeeze-fill the strawberries. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs on top, or dip them top-down to get a good coating. I forgot how much I liked making little desserts and food like this :)

Red is Dead posted:

Why was my yesterday awesome?

I got to hear my childs heartbeat for the first time. 25 weeks in and I got to hear it. Good strong heartbeat too, according to the midwives.

Congrats! Do you know if it'll be a boy or girl, or is it too soon to tell?

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 02:21 on Jun 22, 2012

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

It's been about forty minuets into my birthday. I am 21 years old today.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Thunderfinger posted:

It's been about forty minuets into my birthday. I am 21 years old today.

If there's not a bottle in your hand, you're doing it wrong.

Toys For Twats
Sep 30, 2007
One awesome dude
Graduated with a first. :)

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.

Ozz81 posted:

Congrats! Do you know if it'll be a boy or girl, or is it too soon to tell?

the hospital won't tell us due to the previous cases where children have been terminated upon parents finding out their gender.

I personally don't want to know. it's the last great surprise to me. dont want it spoiled.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I figured out the Xasthur logo all by myself. :D

Original:

Name highlighted poorly in MS Paint by me:

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Today at work (public aquarium tourist attraction), I didn't encounter any shitheads aside from the mild garden-variety oblivious people. I sold $52 worth of nice fossils from our gift shop display case, which makes me feel like a badass. And I got to meet a professional mermaid who was super nice and asked about the mermaid floor lamps we have and where she could obtain them.

She left her contact info for when I ask my boss about the lamps, and her website is https://www.mermaidmelissa.com if you're wondering. I trust no Goons will act like creepy dickheads or anything since Mermaid Shelly already proved to all of us that merfolk have the highest ratio of socially adjusted people of any fandom ever.

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them
I'm sitting in a coffee shop in Gunnison, Colorado, where I'm editing pictures and waiting for my husband to come down from the plains to join me. Yesterday I got to photograph a bike race and I'm loving the photos I got.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Finally hung up my paintings and took the last of my moving boxes and piles of bubble wrap to the dumpsters.

My new place actually feels like home now that moving crap isn't everywhere and everything is put away.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
I finally got around to spending some time cleaning and doing laundry. I had been having to do the sniff test on clothes for a while now and I can't even remember the last time I had enough carpet showing to vacuum. It feels good :) I'm celebrating by being even more productive and cooking food for the next few days!

Also, my softball team was number one this season so we're practicing today for the playoffs.

MongolArcher
Jan 2, 2009
My fiance and I are house hunting and it's tricky because I have some heavy duty allergies to molds and dust. We looked at a place with passive solar heating and liked it, and brought our 'tame contractor' friend over to look at the place too. After we did the walk through, with him educating the real estate agent on what to look for in older houses, his parting words were "yeah, put a bid in on it. It looks nice."

:3: OMG, I may be getting a house of my own!

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
I went shopping for things to organize my apartment a bit better today. Spent a few hours with my mom and sister and it was lovely. I found all that I needed, a few things I hadn't thought of and came in almost exactly on my budget. Now everything is put together, arranged and the things I wanted to organize are organized. My apartment feels so much better now.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Wife left early this morning for a quick trip home, so I got to sleep in, watch football, gently caress around on the forums, eat a whole pizza by myself, go to the store to browse, clean the house a little, and gently caress around on the forums some more. I have work tomorrow, but the boss is back from a two week vacation and I have a little money for the cafe downstairs if things get too slow.

It has been a brilliant ten days.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
As of the time of this posting, I am officially 22. :toot: :dance: :toot:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I hopped on Omegle to kill a few minutes and maybe troll some people, but I ended up making a new Facebook friend from Kazakhstan instead. Sometimes that site doesn't totally suck.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I hopped on Omegle to kill a few minutes and maybe troll some people, but I ended up making a new Facebook friend from Kazakhstan instead. Sometimes that site doesn't totally suck.

Yeah after Nexting a few million penises and bots my friends and I ran into an artist guy. He did a little painting of us and we eventually added him on Facebook. Very cool dude.

My own contribution:

-Manager green lit my requested days off, now I can hopefully attend that concert if the tickets aren't sold out before my paycheck goes through :)
-Invited best friends over and we cooked a wide variety of things again and chilled for hours playing retro party games.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Happy birthday MD!

My boss is finally back and today was much more enjoyable as a result. Had a good night once I took ownership of it and had a nice walk instead of being a hermit. Going to eat sweets and should be able to sleep at a decent hour too.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I know exactly what I'm getting my boyfriend for his birthday and my insides go all warm and bubbly when I think about how much he's going to love it :3:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Today it was way too hot in my office and I was suffering terrible hay fever.

Someone came in with a package for me and I recognised my mother's handwriting. I opened it to find:

- A chocolate lollipop
- A polystyrene aeroplane model
- A keyring puzzle
- Some White Rabbit Chinese sweets
- A FLANNEL
- A card in which she'd written "just because you are loved"

It made my day.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
First day of sobriety where I've had absolutely no cravings to get hosed up. The first few days are always the worst, my sleep schedule is slowly returning to normal. Not needing to smoke pot or drink myself to sleep is a pretty awesome feeling.. Got tired of telling myself "Just one last time".

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I recently got a job at a shipping company. Basically after the delivery drivers drop off all of their empty containers (reusable plastic tote things) it's my job to clear these off of the dock, stack them and palletize them to be sent back to their companies of origin. Basically just a lot of heavy lifting and moving stuff around. Warehouse stuff. No big whoop.

One of the drivers today told me that he's been there for five years and, in that time, I'm the only guy in my position who's actually managed to keep up with the workload and keep the docks clear. Meaning they don't have to wade into a huge loving mess of empty cartons to drop their stuff off. I gather I'm well-liked. :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Demon Seed posted:

First day of sobriety where I've had absolutely no cravings to get hosed up. The first few days are always the worst, my sleep schedule is slowly returning to normal. Not needing to smoke pot or drink myself to sleep is a pretty awesome feeling.. Got tired of telling myself "Just one last time".

As random internet stranger #43576 I think this is indeed, awesome.

My puppy finally figured out how to fetch! :woop: