Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Bash Ironfist posted:

I couldn't resist petting them ears every time I walked by. :3:

Shiba ears are magically soft. Greatest things ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

I think we could just rename this thread the Shiba Inu thread.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Maybe you should post more Sitka. :colbert:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Nikita unlocked pillow technology.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Warbadger posted:

Nikita unlocked pillow technology.

You've had Nikita since she was a wee thing, yes? Do you happen to remember how much she weighed in the 8-10 week range?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

TVs Ian posted:

You've had Nikita since she was a wee thing, yes? Do you happen to remember how much she weighed in the 8-10 week range?

She was 28 lbs. at 18 weeks. Hard to say at 8-10 weeks, she grew fast.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Warbadger posted:

She was 28 lbs. at 18 weeks. Hard to say at 8-10 weeks, she grew fast.

We're trying to convince ourselves that this puppy is not going to be a giant beast of a dog.....most everyone will immediately point out how huge his feet are.

Also, this has been around.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

TVs Ian posted:

We're trying to convince ourselves that this puppy is not going to be a giant beast of a dog.....most everyone will immediately point out how huge his feet are.

Quaffle likes to sit on his butt like this, with his feet in the air. I don't even know.

Giant beast dogs own (although mine is a mini giant beast who thinks he's a lapdog).

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Pups with enormous feet are the beeest :3::3: Would never stop playing with those paws.

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!
Welp, looks like I'm going to be a dog-father. Nobody claimed this beautiful stray and she was going to be in the pound/death row until my sister intervened on my behalf :3:.

(the gold/rose one - also, we're in the process of replacing carpet so don't mind the gross floor)

I wonder what she's crossed with...
I'm pretty effin' excited.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

buttslave posted:

Welp, looks like I'm going to be a dog-father. Nobody claimed this beautiful stray and she was going to be in the pound/death row until my sister intervened on my behalf :3:.

(the gold/rose one - also, we're in the process of replacing carpet so don't mind the gross floor)

I wonder what she's crossed with...
I'm pretty effin' excited.

She's a cutie! :3:

I really am a sucker for dogs with eyebrows...

edit: vvvv Oh, she does! Just with thicker fur, but yeah, she looks just like my friend's Kelpie.

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 19, 2012

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

She looks a lot like a Kelpie!

aurasuvi
May 14, 2009

TVs Ian posted:

I love love love this color. I've always had a weak spot for prick-eared brindle dogs (like my friend's Akita, who made an appearance earlier in this thread). Plus, yup. Big dog a-coming.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

This one was caught shortly after the last. Note the puppy-dog eyes. This dog knows it's being bad.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Yup, sure looks like a red and tan Kelpie to me. Welcome to jogging town!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Citizen Rat, does Sitka's breeder have a website? My brother's looking at malamutes. :3:

puremoo
Dec 29, 2006

Here's Coco, my 14 week old Shiba Inu. She's quite the obedient puppy, which I am so thankful for since she's my first dog. :3:

Are you going to let me in?

And lastly a few pictures of her when she was 9 weeks old.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
So I've decided to stop being so lazy and finally post about Kiya!

Her favorite napping position.

I've posted this one before,but I just enjoy the way she is kinda just staring at me saying, "what?" Cuz that is totally the most natural way to sleep.

So I've had her ~2 1/2 months now. Not my first foray into the Ancient breed since my previous dog was some sort of Akita/Husky mix. I've had different dogs over the years,but after owning one Spitz breed, I can't see myself owning anything but another one from now on.

So onto Kiya.

I got her from a local rescue. I was told her original owners had to give her up because she was getting aggressive towards their 2 year old. Her medical paperwork also had mentions of them calling the vet about rehoming. From what I've with her and kids from as young as my neighbors ~8-10 month old, to the older kids in the neighborhood, that kid had to be doing something really stupid. She has never growled at any kid including the young one who does what a baby would do. Poke and pull poo poo. I obviously still watch her,but hey their loss is my gain.

I wasn't told anything about dog aggression,but that exists slightly. It doesn't seem to have any real triggers that I can find. She just hates some dogs. Like the other nearby Husky that she wants to see oh so bad,but when they meet she just growls and lunges at. She is better with other dogs in the neighborhood, like the Pit she loves playing with. And by playing I mean she smacks the poo poo out of him, while he runs around like a retard.

She DID like the Pit next door until that got hit by a car about a month ago. :(

She is pretty goofy when it comes to taking a piss. She starts off like a normal female dog,but then lifts her back legs off the ground and continues to pee while taking a few steps. Male dog marked some bushes? No problem. She'll position herself, handstand and pee. Today she did her handstand and kept on walking for about 5 steps. It is amazing to watch.

Oh, she also came with the awesome trick of,"rip daddy's arm out of its socket!" She came with a pinch collar and I found out quickly why. It has taken a lot of work to break basically 4 years of pulling on walks to get her way,but she is a lot better about it now. The only time she still really pulls is when we start walking and when she gets somewhat close to another dog. Both being caused by excitement and I'm working on curbing that still.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 26, 2012

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

WolfensteinBag posted:

Citizen Rat, does Sitka's breeder have a website? My brother's looking at malamutes. :3:

She does! Though it is pretty terrible because Pat & Tom are both, um, older. http://www.thunderkloud.com/ It's pretty light on information because Pat is the one that codes it and only knows how to do limited stuff. She'll want to call and talk if he's serious about having a puppy.

And they are planning on a litter. Like, any day now. I know they say they are looking for a show home for at least a few of the puppies but that is mostly because Tom thinks a cross of Spicy and Tornado's names would be hilarious. Though this is Spicy's first litter and it has Pat super worked up.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
I've been sad all along that I didn't know what Quaffle looked like as a baby. Just now I came across the picture on Google and I have decided I should frame it and claim it's Quaffle (too bad the ears are all wrong, Quaffle's have the structure of GSD ears and are set lower):

For comparison, here's Quaffle himself, back when he was still in his winter coat:

He shed out that coat and now it's pretty short and makes him look really brown. Since that winter coat came in when he was still a puppy (the vet thinks he was born last April, 2011), is his winter coat this coming season likely to be different? I don't really have experience with double coated dogs so I don't know if puppy coats have a lot of difference from that of older dogs. We think he's a husky/shepherd mix (with some sort of hound in there too, judging by his ears/eyes/skull) and his coat texture is pretty much that of a husky but not as plush, not the texture of a GSD's coat. We live in Alabama so I don't expect it to get as thick as it would up north.

No I don't know why I keep posting about his coat other than that it is cool. Wild type agouti = best color. I've been studying dog coat color genetics a lot lately and I have to say there are some nutty people out there who take their color theories way too seriously.

It would probably be easier on me if he were a different color though because strangers keep asking if he's part wolf. While he is leaning against them begging to get petted. Sure that's a wolf right there!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Aravenna posted:

It would probably be easier on me if he were a different color though because strangers keep asking if he's part wolf. While he is leaning against them begging to get petted. Sure that's a wolf right there!

I dunno...

:3:

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Aravenna posted:

He shed out that coat and now it's pretty short and makes him look really brown. Since that winter coat came in when he was still a puppy (the vet thinks he was born last April, 2011), is his winter coat this coming season likely to be different? I don't really have experience with double coated dogs so I don't know if puppy coats have a lot of difference from that of older dogs.

Generally speaking, all puppies will have a different coat when they grow up. They don't generally grow primary hairs (guard hairs) until at least 6 months. I'd guess he'll have the same colouring but different texture?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Generally speaking, all puppies will have a different coat when they grow up. They don't generally grow primary hairs (guard hairs) until at least 6 months. I'd guess he'll have the same colouring but different texture?

Nori's coat is starting to get harsher and slicker in the patch from his mid-back to the base of his tail. Only there so far and not down the sides either. It's even glossier in the light while the rest of him is covered in fluffy down :3:

He is also completely insane but it has been over 100 degrees here for the last 2 weeks and he can't last doing anything outside. Flirt pole it is!

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
I love Nori. I have been studying dog color genetics a lot lately, and I keep finding comments on what happens when brindle interacts with dark masked fawn, and what happens when it interacts with black-and-tan, but nobody ever says anything about what happens when brindle interacts with wolf patterned, wild type agouti. No pure breed combines both brindle and wolf coloring, so nobody talks about it!

Just Nori. Nori is special.

Apparently Akitas and Corgis can come in brindle, so maybe he has one of those a couple generations back? Especially if it was an Akita, you probably wouldn't be able to tell at all except for that brindle gene.

Actually now that I look into it, Akitas MIGHT come in wolf agouti (I keep calling it by different names because there is no set name for the gene, but it's basically wolf coloring), but nobody is really sure because a) some Akitas do have a similar coloring, but it's still not like what you see in wolves and huskies etc, and b) apparently nobody has run a gene test on one of these Akitas to find out. Regardless I can't find any pictures of Akitas that have the same color as Nori but I guess if any breed could have that combination, it'd be an Akita.

Anyway, my point is that Nori is awesome and mayyyyybe is part Akita, for that non-husky bit you can't figure out.

Primitive breeds have amazing color genetics. I've been reading a number of published papers and when they talk about genetics that cause, say, labrador coat color, I say WHO CARES. They are just solid colored. How boring!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Aravenna posted:

I love Nori. I have been studying dog color genetics a lot lately, and I keep finding comments on what happens when brindle interacts with dark masked fawn, and what happens when it interacts with black-and-tan, but nobody ever says anything about what happens when brindle interacts with wolf patterned, wild type agouti. No pure breed combines both brindle and wolf coloring, so nobody talks about it!

Just Nori. Nori is special.

Apparently Akitas and Corgis can come in brindle, so maybe he has one of those a couple generations back? Especially if it was an Akita, you probably wouldn't be able to tell at all except for that brindle gene.

Actually now that I look into it, Akitas MIGHT come in wolf agouti (I keep calling it by different names because there is no set name for the gene, but it's basically wolf coloring), but nobody is really sure because a) some Akitas do have a similar coloring, but it's still not like what you see in wolves and huskies etc, and b) apparently nobody has run a gene test on one of these Akitas to find out. Regardless I can't find any pictures of Akitas that have the same color as Nori but I guess if any breed could have that combination, it'd be an Akita.

Anyway, my point is that Nori is awesome and mayyyyybe is part Akita, for that non-husky bit you can't figure out.

Primitive breeds have amazing color genetics. I've been reading a number of published papers and when they talk about genetics that cause, say, labrador coat color, I say WHO CARES. They are just solid colored. How boring!

Well the show ladies who are selling giant block headed labs care! (I've actually never met a yellow lab with a black nose, only liver. Is one more common than the other?)

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Aravenna posted:

Primitive breeds have amazing color genetics.

See now the friend who brought him to us was saying the mother dog may be Husky and Chow but...since she thinks Chary (our little hound mix) looks like a husky it's clear she knows nothing about dogs aside from they have four legs. So I'm wondering if its actually Akita. Which would explain his coloring just fine.

Here's a dog from the Netherlands who is a confirmed Husky/Akita cross, for example. Not that it means much but....

And Nori (since you like him so much, here's a photodump :) )

In this video, while he tries his damnedest to kill Quinn, you can see that patch of what I assume is his adult coat coming in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBcUEsO2h-Y

And for what its worth, I think Quaffle is just as awesome :3:

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Your dogs are wonderful :allears:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I love how the inkblot on Nori's forehead is juuuust a bit off-center to his right. :3:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

wtftastic posted:

Well the show ladies who are selling giant block headed labs care! (I've actually never met a yellow lab with a black nose, only liver. Is one more common than the other?)

Sort of? Basically here is what is happening with the three lab colors (black, chocolate, yellow):

There is a gene called dominant black (KB). Every labrador retriever is dominant black. All of them. So you can consider that the base color of every labrador retriever is black. This is actually why first generation lab mixes tend to be black.

Some labs have a gene called brown or liver (bb) which is recessive and which turns the black pigment in the coat and in the skin to chocolate brown. So you can think of a chocolate lab as really being black underneath, with an additional gene that turns the coat, the nose, the paw pads, etc, chocolate brown instead.

However, on top of this, some labs are recessive for a gene called Extension (they are ee). This gene says that no black hairs can be produced in their coats at all, no matter what that dominant black (KB) gene says above. So they will be totally yellow, with no black hairs whatsoever.

But here's the thing: being ee only affects the coat, not the skin. The dogs still have black pigment in their skin (noses, paw pads, eye rims, lips). So if an ee yellow dog does not have the bb brown dilution gene, their noses will be black. If they do have that dilution gene, their coats will still be the same yellow color, but their noses will be brown.

So it's easiest to think of labs in three layers:
1) They are all totally black underneath.
2) Some of them may have a gene that dilutes all the black pigment in the coat and the skin to chocolate brown instead.
3) Then some of both 1) and 2) will have an additional gene that won't let them produce any black/brown pigment in the coat anyway, so the coat will be yellow instead.

Some yellow labs are just 1) underneath, so they have black noses, and some are 2) underneath, so they have brown noses. I don't know what the relative distributions of black/chocolate/yellow labs are though, so I don't know how common it is for black or brown noses to show up on yellow labs.

Incidentally, this is also what is going on with dalmatians: they are all KB dominant black, but some have the bb brown gene that turns them into liver dalmatians instead. They don't have the ee recessive red gene though, so none of them are yellow.

I don't think that dominant black actually exists in most of the primitive breeds though. Most primitive dogs that are black and white are actually black and tan (like the coloring of a rottweiler or doberman or a black and tan coonhound) but the tan has been diluted to a pale cream or white. These dogs will have really distinctive facial markings: the face will be mostly dark but the underjaw around to the cheeks and the eyebrows will be pale colored.

Like this: http://nicholescritters.homestead.com/malcolorgeneticsblackandwhite.html

I'm sure I'm going to find a primitive breed that has dominant black about five minutes after I write this though. :)

TVs Ian posted:

See now the friend who brought him to us was saying the mother dog may be Husky and Chow but...since she thinks Chary (our little hound mix) looks like a husky it's clear she knows nothing about dogs aside from they have four legs. So I'm wondering if its actually Akita. Which would explain his coloring just fine.

I don't think Chows come in brindle. I did find a reference that someone said they had seen one, but if they do, they're going to be really rare I'd think.

TVs Ian posted:

And for what its worth, I think Quaffle is just as awesome :3:

Yay! I hope Nori grows into his ears better than Quaffle grew into his. :)

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

The only prim breeds I know that definitely come often or only in brindle are Akita, Kai Ken and Basenji. There's just no way he has any Basenji or Kai Ken in him. :shrug:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
I finally managed to get a video of Quaffle yelling his head off! Dogs that talk > dogs that just bark. (He's mad that I'm not giving him a Kong; that's why he keeps circling by the door, he wants me to follow him out to the freezer.)

Notice that after a while of not getting what he wants, he sits. I make him sit before I give him his food, pet him, etc so he'll often do it on his own when he wants something. NILIF in action. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r-xCUzkgjQ

Ashamee
Jan 12, 2012
Hey, guys. I could really use some help. My husband has a coworker who we are friends with, and he has a wolf hybrid puppy. He's a very gentle boy, and gets along great with my Jindo. The friend got the puppy back in late May, and he's about five months old now, neutered, has all of his shots and his microchip, etc.

The puppy comes over quite often, and I actually helped watch him for a couple of weeks when he was first brought home, and we really bonded. Like I said, great dog, but being a wolf hybrid, he's very lazy and aloof, and hard to train. He's also a major escape artist. Our friend has gone through both a wire crate and a plastic crate, to no avail.

Here's my problem: The friend contacts me today from work and found out that the dog had gotten out of the plastic crate, pooped everywhere, rolled in the poop, and then destroyed the carpeting. He says he's done, and doesn't want the dog anymore. I'm at a loss for what to do, but I told him to do his research and expect this kind of thing before he got him. He's half-wolf, for crying out loud. Personally, I would never choose to have a wolf hybrid, but at this point, either we take the dog and keep him, or he ends up in a shelter and euthanized. I can't bear to see him killed or sent away when I know we can take care of him, and he gets along great with our dog, and with me, but what tips might you have for me? Does anyone here have experience with wolf hybrids? I'm really upset and angry and frustrated at the whole situation, but I feel he would be best off with us.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Ashamee posted:

Hey, guys. I could really use some help. My husband has a coworker who we are friends with, and he has a wolf hybrid puppy. He's a very gentle boy, and gets along great with my Jindo. The friend got the puppy back in late May, and he's about five months old now, neutered, has all of his shots and his microchip, etc.

The puppy comes over quite often, and I actually helped watch him for a couple of weeks when he was first brought home, and we really bonded. Like I said, great dog, but being a wolf hybrid, he's very lazy and aloof, and hard to train. He's also a major escape artist. Our friend has gone through both a wire crate and a plastic crate, to no avail.

Here's my problem: The friend contacts me today from work and found out that the dog had gotten out of the plastic crate, pooped everywhere, rolled in the poop, and then destroyed the carpeting. He says he's done, and doesn't want the dog anymore. I'm at a loss for what to do, but I told him to do his research and expect this kind of thing before he got him. He's half-wolf, for crying out loud. Personally, I would never choose to have a wolf hybrid, but at this point, either we take the dog and keep him, or he ends up in a shelter and euthanized. I can't bear to see him killed or sent away when I know we can take care of him, and he gets along great with our dog, and with me, but what tips might you have for me? Does anyone here have experience with wolf hybrids? I'm really upset and angry and frustrated at the whole situation, but I feel he would be best off with us.

I wouldn't be so sure the dog is actually a wolf hybrid since the majority of those ~breeders~ are spewing bullshit to make a buck but if you're convinced it is so, I would see about contacting wolf/hybrid rescues. There are a few of them around the US, assuming that's where you are.

They might be able to help you better and direct you to local resources. In the meantime, if you're truly that concerned and can't bear the idea of the dog being put to sleep, perhaps you can take him in as a foster until you can find an appropriate place for him.

Good luck with whatever you decide and bad luck to the fool who got him in the first place.

Ashamee
Jan 12, 2012
Thank you. Since I took care of him for those couple of weeks, he is somewhat bonded to me and howls when he sees me. I can get him to sit on command, kind of shake his paw and sort of lay down, so it's a start. The friend said that we could always give him back to the breeder, if needed, but I'm hoping to make this work out before I take advantage of that option.

Another thing I'm upset about is that the puppy was due to start basic obedience training classes this evening, but the friend said he's going to cancel those, since he's done. Our Jindo did really well in classes and they really helped. I think they'd benefit this dog, so we're planning to get him into classes now, regardless of the situation. My issue is, do we go ahead and pay for these ourselves (which is what I assume we'll be doing anyway), or do we ask the friend to pay for them, since he kind of dumped the dog on us in the first place?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Is there any way to get pictures of the dog? And any way to get info on the breeder? If the breeder seems decent (for a hybrid breeder) you can always let them rehome the dog. Personally, I'd trust a hybrid rescue more, though. You can try emailing Wolf Park, they might be able to hook you up with someone in your area that can help.

If you do want to try and keep or foster the dog, I'd try to get your friend to pay for classes. It's the least they can do. Make sure the classes are all positive based (corrections just do NOT work with wolfy dogs) and you might want to sign up as just a mix if you can. Otherwise you might run in to problems with the rabies vaccination not technically being approved for wolves.

Ashamee
Jan 12, 2012
Yes, I can get info on the breeder, but I want to test having him with us first for a couple of weeks before throwing in the towel. Thank you for the recommendation.

I'll see if he'd be willing to pay for classes. When our friend signed up for them initially, I guess they did a preliminary session to see if the dog would be suitable, and he was approved. It was just a six-week puppy program at Petsmart, and they only use positive reinforcement. My Jindo loved going to classes there, too. The puppy's name is Aggro. He has all of his shots, including rabies, is newly-neutered and microchipped.

This is really the only picture I have of him. Our friend went ahead and got rid of all photos of Aggro on his Facebook page, so this one is a bit old. I took it myself in May. I'd give you a newer one, but our friend also had him shaved down last week, to cool him off, and he looks like a huge rat right now. (I didn't agree with him being shaved. Double-coated dogs NEED their hair! Ugh!)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

No offense but your friend sounds like a moron. :(

On the plus side your new dog looks mostly husky/mal! :haw: If you're doing well with your jindo, I bet you'll do well with your new friend. :3:

Edit: I'd still like a breeder website if you can get it, I'd like to see their breeding dogs if possible. You know, for science. :science:

Ashamee
Jan 12, 2012
Yeah, I think he's kind of dumb. Realize that Kiba, our Jindo dog, was our first dog, and I thought she was a LOT of work as a baby, but she's absolutely wonderful now, and extremely intelligent. I can remember crying after we brought her home, because I'd read so many horror stories online about Jindos getting into trouble, and wasn't sure if I could handle it. I'm also physically disabled, but I managed just fine.

I told him that even though he had a German Shepherd as a child, that getting a dog like this was likely going to be MUCH different. He assured me that he did all the research and really just wanted a wolf dog because it'd be "cool." :arghfist: I told him that that was a really stupid reason to get a FIRST dog, let alone a dog in general. Obviously, he didn't research it enough, because, well, here we are. The long and short of it is that he's got awful separation anxiety and escapes everything. It doesn't help that the guy works a normal 8-9 hour day and tries to crate the dog while he's gone.

As far as I know, he supposedly has some Malamute, Husky, and Arctic Wolf in his bloodline. I will see what I can dig up on the breeder, after I ask the friend. Aggro has some GIANT paws.

Edit: The only breeder info I got was an email address, so I am worried that it's a BYB. :(

Extra edit: We just fed both dogs near one another, and Kiba knows to wait for her food until she's told "Okay." While she ate, we poured Aggro food into his bowl, and my husband put his hands over the food and told him to leave it. He lunged a few times, so he was told to sit, and we kept covering the food. Finally, he just sat and stared at it. We said "Okay," but that's Kiba's word, and she walked up to the bowl until we told her to leave it alone. Aggro then ate, and Kiba walked away to see what I was doing, so Aggro definitely seems trainable. It's just going to take some time. I think Aggro's word to go eat will end up being "All right."

Ashamee fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 13, 2012

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

I really really doubt that dog has any wolf content that's worth considering. People like to breed giant mixes of Mals/GSDs/Husky etc and claim hybrid to make more money. He is also completely adorable :3:

Honestly, if you think you can handle it and you really love the dog, keep him but contact the rescue groups anyhow so you can get their guidance and their backup if need be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashamee
Jan 12, 2012
Yeah, at this point, I'm thinking the same. He's a really great dog, and he was awesome today, so I feel that his previous owner is really missing out. I spent the entire afternoon trying to teach him to lay down on command, and he's actually starting to understand it faster than I anticipated, so there's hope. I guess the saying is right: "There aren't bad dogs, just bad owners."

I am planning to get his vet records in the next day or so. In the back of my mind, I worry that if I don't get everything in my hand and transferred over (both dogs have the same vet, so that's easy), that we'll work really hard to make this dog awesome, and then our friend might want him back. I doubt it'd happen, but I just want to cover my bases.

I think we'll keep him. I just got into graduate school today, and luckily, it's an online program, so I'll still be at home with both dogs, which is a total relief. Thanks again for all of the help. :)

Upon reading about Malamutes, I think he's definitely a Mal more than anything. He's very whiny and vocal, and just a very emotionally sensitive boy. Very timid. We like him that way, though. :)

Ashamee fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 14, 2012

• Locked thread