Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Happy Hippo posted:

What happened in this first page that was an insult to Spencer?

Wood brings back the line of Kitty's narration about how this is how she became America's most wanted terrorist and jokes about how she's actually going to tell you that story now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Last page of Ultimate Comics X-Men #1:

First page of Ultimate Comics X-Men #13, a full year later:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I wonder how Spencer's entire plan was going to come together? He was playing the extremely long game, might have been cool to see what he was planning.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Terror Sweat posted:

I wonder how Spencer's entire plan was going to come together? He was playing the extremely long game, might have been cool to see what he was planning.

No, it wouldn't have been.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

No, it wouldn't have been.

I imagine 3 years from now if you read the whole thing in one sitting it may have been interesting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I imagine 3 years from now if you read the whole thing in one sitting it may have been interesting.

Interesting like a medical journal on ebola, maybe. But not cool.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Terror Sweat posted:

I don't think he really had one. It felt more like he was introducing ideas without any real plot or lead into a narrative. Like I honestly don't remember any real motivation coming out of the various characters, like he just goes "Here is character X, isn't that neat" and they do some vague ominous posturing before he moves onto Character Y and Z.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Didn't Kitty also mention she's now 17?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

So I basically dropped UXM after I lost interest in the 2nd issue. Picked this up and it's really what I was hoping for before. I'm glad UXM is back, and with these characters. Except Wolverine Jr. gently caress him.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Didn't Kitty also mention she's now 17?

She did.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

e. i'm dumb

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Casao posted:

So I basically dropped UXM after I lost interest in the 2nd issue. Picked this up and it's really what I was hoping for before. I'm glad UXM is back, and with these characters. Except Wolverine Jr. gently caress him.

I don't even remember what happened to Fury's X-Men. I mean, I think Jean showed up for 2 pages in Ultimates, but that's about it.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't think he really had one. It felt more like he was introducing ideas without any real plot or lead into a narrative. Like I honestly don't remember any real motivation coming out of the various characters, like he just goes "Here is character X, isn't that neat" and they do some vague ominous posturing before he moves onto Character Y and Z.

Not going to lie, I thought it was kind of cool. It was just a series of one to two-shots about whats going on in the the x-men world. If he could have compressed the stories a little more while keeping some common thread linking each issue together to provide a sense of stability it would have been good.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I feel so conflicted over Wood on Ultimate X-Men.

The first issue was great. It did a lot of cool things that I've been wanting with the series; clear direction, Kitty losing The Shroud stuff, characters thinking things out and coming to interesting conclusions but I can't help but feel that it's all wasted.

The big disconnect between Ultimate Spider-Man where everything goes "normally" and the rest of the Ultimates line of "everything is death and murder and every second day a city/country is completely destroyed" has just kind of killed things for me overall.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Waterhaul posted:

I feel so conflicted over Wood on Ultimate X-Men.

The first issue was great. It did a lot of cool things that I've been wanting with the series; clear direction, Kitty losing The Shroud stuff, characters thinking things out and coming to interesting conclusions but I can't help but feel that it's all wasted.

The big disconnect between Ultimate Spider-Man where everything goes "normally" and the rest of the Ultimates line of "everything is death and murder and every second day a city/country is completely destroyed" has just kind of killed things for me overall.

Isn't there a crossover with all three books coming up? Maybe that will reconcile things a bit.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Dacap posted:

Isn't there a crossover with all three books coming up? Maybe that will reconcile things a bit.
Yeah, "Divided We Fall"

I can't help but wish Miles wasn't stuck in a reality where the US is falling apart. I'd love to just have 160 issues of Miles being Miles without lengthy crossovers.

However, the Ultimates dealing with a second, even younger Spidey after failing the first one could be interesting.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Dacap posted:

Spoilers I guess?

Yeah, the next Ultimates storyline, "Divided We Fall" will have a crossover with the new Ultimate Spider-Man apparently (No involvement from the X-Men though it seems).

September solicitations posted:

ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #14
BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (w) • DAVID MARQUEZ (a)
Cover by JORGE MOLINA
DIVIDED WE FALL!
• The first-ever Ultimates/Ultimate Spider-Man team up!!
• With the nation at war, Miles Morales decides to become a member of the Ultimates and he will do anything it takes to earn the right.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Kaleidoscope posted:

No involvement from the X-Men though it seems
UXM #13 says the event starts with its next issue

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Kaleidoscope posted:

Spoilers I guess?

Yeah, the next Ultimates storyline, "Divided We Fall" will have a crossover with the new Ultimate Spider-Man apparently (No involvement from the X-Men though it seems).

Uhh...

First ever Ultimates/Spider-Man team up?

For Miles, sure. But Peter did that several times. Ultimate Six, for example.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Threep posted:

Last page of Ultimate Comics X-Men #1:

First page of Ultimate Comics X-Men #13, a full year later:

That's pretty hilarious. What actually happened in the plot in that year?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

From a few pages back:

TheJoker138 posted:

Xavier is alive. He is also speaking to Rogue, and might be god or something? Magneto is alive. Colossus killed a dude. Stryker or some other preacher guy is killing mutants. But then sentinels go rogue and start killing everyone. Nimrod is there. Master Mold is there. Several states have been pretty much wiped out by rogue sentinels. Now apparently both Mister Sinister and Apocalypse are both alive again too. In 12 issues we have been given no explanation for any of this, or resolution for any of it. In fact, I don't think we've seen Kitty Pryde since the first issue, which started out with narration saying it was going to be her story.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
That's goddamn amazing.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Oh yeah, also, Fury has his own group of X-Men but they haven't done poo poo for about a year.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Nilbop posted:

That's goddamn amazing.

Basically Ultimate X-men has been a parody of Lost and bad comic book writing.

A really, really uncanny parody.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Just remembered something about who the Ultimate President is that was overlooked before all hell broke loose with The City:

Maybe Obama was impeached before Reed nuked the US?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Spencer seems to have used up all his good ideas fairly quickly. Right up until his Secret Avengers issue he was a BSS favorite. Between Thunder Agents and Morning Glories he was getting heaps of praise but as we all know that time is long passed. Now that he's been booted off all his high profile work I have to wonder how long Kirkman will keep him on Thief of Thieves.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/robert-kirkman-thief-thieves-writer-james-asmus-338299

I work with his mom and she just linked this to me on facebook.

So that answers that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nevvy Z posted:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/robert-kirkman-thief-thieves-writer-james-asmus-338299

I work with his mom and she just linked this to me on facebook.

So that answers that.

Holy poo poo. I'm like an oracle of the future.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, "Nick Spencer disappoints and is canned" is a story that pretty much writes itself.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Not to piss on this parade, but I'm pretty sure Thief of Thieves was originally announced as having rotating writers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Can someone explain to me how it's "Robert Kirkman's" Thief of Thieves if someone else is writing it? Did he come up with the original concept and just... hire someone to actually write it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Can someone explain to me how it's "Robert Kirkman's" Thief of Thieves if someone else is writing it? Did he come up with the original concept and just... hire someone to actually write it?

This is not exactly a new concept, creator has idea but no time so he farms it out to others.

Also shut up d00gz! You're ruining our fun!

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

I'm new to comics, but not comic book characters. Through TV, video games, movies, and so on I've come to know most of the important stuff with Marvel. Long story short I decided that the Ultimate universe was for me, since it avoids most of the continuity sludge that turned me off of comics. I got the first two volumes of Ultimate Spidey and really enjoyed them. When I learned that the Avengers movie was largely based on Ultimates, that sealed it.

Just to make sure I'm not missing anything from what this thread, Wikipedia, and the Major Spoilers podcast have told me -

Brian Michael Bendis is not great, but he's consistently good for the people who like him. He and Mark Millar have the biggest footprint on Ultimate U.

Mark Millar is bombastic/cinematic in his style and does stuff like Old Man Logan.

Ultimate Spider-Man is pretty good and is the easiest to understand for newcomers, if a little bit slow in its pacing.

Ultimate X-Men varies in quality because it had a bunch of different writers.

Ultimate Fantastic Four - ???

Ultimates 1 and 2 are good, and depict a more realistic (if bombastic) take on the Avengers. Sort of a modern-day Watchmen version.

Ultimates 3 is where Jeph Loeb came in. Jeph Loeb did Batman: Long Halloween and Spider-Man: Blue which made him somewhat popular. For whatever reason, be it his son's death, aging, or just running out of story ideas, Ultimates 3 was trash and can be safely ignored.

There were numerous miniseries and such that were fine by themselves, but started to overrule the purposes of the Ultimate series, which was to avoid continuity problems and not to create new ones. Combined with some disappointments in later runs of series, like Ultimates 3, a "reboot" of this reboot was needed.

Jeph Loeb got to come back and make Ultimatum, which sounds like a good idea and could be handled the right way, but was executed in a bizarrely gory, pointless, strange explosion of major character deaths. The Blob eats Wasp, Ant Man bites his head off, numerous people are decapitated and eviscerated, or just drowned off-screen, and there's a fake-out death for Spider-Man.

With the purposes of Ultimatum thwarted, it was uncomfortably drawn out for a long time with numerous aftermath events, or sometimes ignored. The Ultimate Comics line got started this way, taking a glass half full approach. Certain ideas, like Spider-Man dying, were just done again in a better way.

And now we're at all of the series described in this thread, which fall under the "Ultimate Comics" line. There are references to Ultimatum, but a lot of things are ignored, like Magneto and Xavier apparently being alive.

Personally, I think Ultimatum is palatable if it really was therapy for the writer. That makes it a unique book, even if it is uniquely terrible. I can accept that it happened in some other form, much like the Orson Scott Card origin for Ultimate Iron Man.

What should I read next on my tight budget? Should I keep going with Ultimate Spidey volume 3 and so on, and is there a particular stopping point where the quality goes down sharply? Is Miles Morales something to be a part of? Should I get Ultimates 1 and 2, or is the new series better?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Also shut up d00gz! You're ruining our fun!
Now you know how it feels!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Soggy Cereal posted:

I'm new to comics, but not comic book characters. Through TV, video games, movies, and so on I've come to know most of the important stuff with Marvel. Long story short I decided that the Ultimate universe was for me, since it avoids most of the continuity sludge that turned me off of comics. I got the first two volumes of Ultimate Spidey and really enjoyed them. When I learned that the Avengers movie was largely based on Ultimates, that sealed it.

Just to make sure I'm not missing anything from what this thread, Wikipedia, and the Major Spoilers podcast have told me -

Brian Michael Bendis is not great, but he's consistently good for the people who like him. He and Mark Millar have the biggest footprint on Ultimate U.

Mark Millar is bombastic/cinematic in his style and does stuff like Old Man Logan.

Ultimate Spider-Man is pretty good and is the easiest to understand for newcomers, if a little bit slow in its pacing.

Ultimate X-Men varies in quality because it had a bunch of different writers.

Ultimate Fantastic Four - ???

Ultimates 1 and 2 are good, and depict a more realistic (if bombastic) take on the Avengers. Sort of a modern-day Watchmen version.

Ultimates 3 is where Jeph Loeb came in. Jeph Loeb did Batman: Long Halloween and Spider-Man: Blue which made him somewhat popular. For whatever reason, be it his son's death, aging, or just running out of story ideas, Ultimates 3 was trash and can be safely ignored.

There were numerous miniseries and such that were fine by themselves, but started to overrule the purposes of the Ultimate series, which was to avoid continuity problems and not to create new ones. Combined with some disappointments in later runs of series, like Ultimates 3, a "reboot" of this reboot was needed.

Jeph Loeb got to come back and make Ultimatum, which sounds like a good idea and could be handled the right way, but was executed in a bizarrely gory, pointless, strange explosion of major character deaths. The Blob eats Wasp, Ant Man bites his head off, numerous people are decapitated and eviscerated, or just drowned off-screen, and there's a fake-out death for Spider-Man.

With the purposes of Ultimatum thwarted, it was uncomfortably drawn out for a long time with numerous aftermath events, or sometimes ignored. The Ultimate Comics line got started this way, taking a glass half full approach. Certain ideas, like Spider-Man dying, were just done again in a better way.

And now we're at all of the series described in this thread, which fall under the "Ultimate Comics" line. There are references to Ultimatum, but a lot of things are ignored, like Magneto and Xavier apparently being alive.

Personally, I think Ultimatum is palatable if it really was therapy for the writer. That makes it a unique book, even if it is uniquely terrible. I can accept that it happened in some other form, much like the Orson Scott Card origin for Ultimate Iron Man.

What should I read next on my tight budget? Should I keep going with Ultimate Spidey volume 3 and so on, and is there a particular stopping point where the quality goes down sharply? Is Miles Morales something to be a part of? Should I get Ultimates 1 and 2, or is the new series better?

I think you should keep going with USM. It's the best comic the Ultimate line produced and only really stutters a couple times. And even then it's not dire. I'm a pretty big fan of the Ultimate Universe overall and have pretty much everything that's ever come out of it. I bought all the floppies, then bought the TPBs and gave the floppies to a friend, then unfortunately had to buy almost all the TPBs again due to water damage from a caved in ceiling. So I've spent a large amount of time and money in this Universe.

I am decidedly biased for it because I've enjoyed it so much throughout the years. That said I can still tell you what's crap in it. In fact I wrote up a post covering my thoughts on pretty much every series/mini that came out a while back. Check it out (link) if you haven't read the whole thread. I don't claim to be objectively correct about my opinions of everything of course, and I don't really go in depth on each title. But I think I'm pretty fair in assessing the quality or lack thereof in all of them.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Lurdiak posted:

The first issue of Ultimate Spider-Man said "Stan Lee presents"...

edit: Correction, I believe every issue starts with that on the title page. In fact I think most Marvel comics do.

Myrddin Emrys fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 20, 2012

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

So Captain America is getting an ugly new costume in July's issue

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=62000

Billy Tan posted:

"It’s my design based on Sam's descriptions -- WWII roots, Iraq War-style chest armor, cargo pants, boots... a very military look in Cap's way. He probably has to hand paint the 'A' on the helmet himself since he doesn't have the luxury of having S.H.I.E.L.D. painting him a perfect one."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Looks like a temporary thing while he's not working for the Ultimates.

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
Edit: This is probably better posted in the Comics Q&A

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I actually like that suit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I like the helmet, but I'm really not into the shoulder pads. Also, Ultimate Cap might not be an artist like regular Cap, but it is not that hard to draw a straight A if you take like 5 minutes and steady your hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I actually like that suit.

Yeah, me too, outside of the sloppy A on the helmet. I've liked a lot of what the Ultimates have done with Cap's uniform in its various stages.

• Locked thread