Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Very Strange Things posted:

I just hope to god that I don't get any syrup on the fried chicken by accident because that's just terrible when it happens with sausage or bacon except not really.

Hell no, that's the best part! Butter the waffle, put the chicken on the waffle, put the hot sauce on the chicken and the waffle, top it all with maple syrup.

Edit: drat now I want roscoes :(

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
All of this syrup talk with fried things and just other savoury food all sounds really wrong.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Very Strange Things posted:

Thanks; I guess there's no One True Chicken and Waffle condiment. I'll experiment with both gravies and syrups -I just hope to god that I don't get any syrup on the fried chicken by accident because that's just terrible when it happens with sausage or bacon except not really.

Also make brownies in it.

I...Uh.

Buh

Godamnit. Now I have to go out and get a waffle iron for the express purpose of making brownies in it. Wife will not be pleased about that.

In all seriousness, that sounds like a genius idea, especially topped with good vanilla ice cream so it fills all the little crispy holes with half melted goodness.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Phummus posted:

Certain subsets of the PA dutch will shred the chicken and serve it with a white gravy. If you want to lean savory instead of sweet, give that a try.

This is delicious and I highly recommend it. It also sometimes has dumplings/rivvels in it.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Fried chicken and waffles? There is one true condiment, at least in my book. Maple bourbon syrup.

1 cup grade A or B maple (depends on what you prefer to use as a condiment normally)
3 Tablespoons of butter
Bourbon to taste (I suggest starting with 2 tablespoons)

Whisk maple and bourbon together over medium heat until it reduces by ~10%. Then whisk in the butter (which I usually have pre-melted in a bowl).

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
My local hobby shop will sharpen kitchen knives for what appears to be a reasonable amount (couple bucks per knife). Is this worth it as I don't have a good sharpener at home and I haven't picked up a stone yet?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

CzarChasm posted:

My local hobby shop will sharpen kitchen knives for what appears to be a reasonable amount (couple bucks per knife). Is this worth it as I don't have a good sharpener at home and I haven't picked up a stone yet?
If they can put a good edge on your knives without destroying them, yes. Otherwise, no.

I'd personally be wary of a hobby shop (or hardware store, or whatever) offering the service on the side. My guess: random clerk running an electric grinder. A decent cutlery shop offering a sharpening service is more likely to have dedicated sharpening gear and experienced employees running it, and so is less likely to transform your kitchen knives into expensive tent pegs.

I'm a big proponent of the idea that sharpening really isn't the arcane art a lot of people make it out to be, so pretty much anyone using knives would be well served learning how to sharpen them. But that being said there's nothing wrong with having your knives professional sharpened. And that shouldn't cost more than a couple bucks, so there's really not much motivation for taking the risk of giving them someplace that just does it on the side.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I really want to get my feet wet on sushi technique and fundamentals.

Im not looking to shave my head and become and apprentice, but I would like some sort of shopping list for tools and ingredients and some good reference guides to show me the fundamentals and basic recipes.

I look at it like any other cooking technique, and the market for a nice guide that displays things without anime characters does not seem to exist.

Im also in the LA area so finding a nice market for fish wont be that hard.

AND THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SUSHI GRADE FISH.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Re: knife sharpening, most craft stores will have someone come through once a month to do scissor sharpening, and you can bring knives as well. These are professional sharpeners who actually know what they're doing. Might be worth looking into if you're not sure about how good the folks at the hardware store are.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
I swear I used to be able to get little cans of re-fried beans. 1 of the normal sized cans is just too much for me and I end up throwing some out. Do these still exist?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

indoflaven posted:

I swear I used to be able to get little cans of re-fried beans. 1 of the normal sized cans is just too much for me and I end up throwing some out. Do these still exist?

Is it just for convenience? I haven't bought refried beans in a can for years- making refried beans from a can of pinto beans isn't too hard, and is typically tastier.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
I've never seen cans that small, but refried beans freeze really well, if that's an option.

Also what Comic said. You can make a big patch, portion it out, and freeze it.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

SubG posted:

If they can put a good edge on your knives without destroying them, yes. Otherwise, no.

I'd personally be wary of a hobby shop (or hardware store, or whatever) offering the service on the side. My guess: random clerk running an electric grinder. A decent cutlery shop offering a sharpening service is more likely to have dedicated sharpening gear and experienced employees running it, and so is less likely to transform your kitchen knives into expensive tent pegs.

I'm a big proponent of the idea that sharpening really isn't the arcane art a lot of people make it out to be, so pretty much anyone using knives would be well served learning how to sharpen them. But that being said there's nothing wrong with having your knives professional sharpened. And that shouldn't cost more than a couple bucks, so there's really not much motivation for taking the risk of giving them someplace that just does it on the side.

Back at the old culinary school, the local knife store would sharpen knife kits for free and other knives for $1 each. If you don't have much access to sharpening services, maybe take a knife other than your prized chef's knife and see how badly they mangle (or don't) it?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
This might be a question for the smoking thread, but does anyone have a novel use for the extremely smokey drippings that you might collect in your smoker? I can find lots of uses when it's rather light, but the drippings from anything smoked beyond a few hours just seem overpowering.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Is it true that if you stick an egg in a bowl of water, you can tell if it's still good to use/eat by whether it floats or sinks and what angle it floats/sinks at?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Kind of! As the egg gets old, more of the innards eventually get converted to gas (via bacteria, iirc) and the egg gets more buoyant. The rule of thumb I learned is if it sinks solidly it's probably pretty fresh, if it bobs up and down it's probably still fine, and if it just plain floats you should crack it into a separate bowl first just in case it's gone bad. If you do crack it and it doesn't smell like death then as far as I know you can still use 'em.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

All of this syrup talk with fried things and just other savoury food all sounds really wrong.

i really wanted to do an entree with seared scallops curried french toast charred brussels sprouts and a maple syrup gastrique but chef wouldn't let me

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

wheatpuppy posted:

Kind of! As the egg gets old, more of the innards eventually get converted to gas (via bacteria, iirc) and the egg gets more buoyant. The rule of thumb I learned is if it sinks solidly it's probably pretty fresh, if it bobs up and down it's probably still fine, and if it just plain floats you should crack it into a separate bowl first just in case it's gone bad. If you do crack it and it doesn't smell like death then as far as I know you can still use 'em.

Okay, I'll check it out. There was this one egg that is kind of floating with the tip poking out of the water, but not fully floating on it's side. I'll crack it open into a bowl and just see how it is.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Revitalized posted:

Okay, I'll check it out. There was this one egg that is kind of floating with the tip poking out of the water, but not fully floating on it's side. I'll crack it open into a bowl and just see how it is.

Yeah that's probably fine. Eggs keep for a ridiculously long time, especially if you refrigerate them.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
So I decided to make my own almond flour because that stuff is expensive. I got some almonds at the bulk food section of the store.

I put them in a bowl, covered them with boiling water for 1 minute, and then drained and rinsed under cold water. From everything I've read, the skins should've slipped off like a freshman girl's dress at her first frat party.

Unfortunately, this endeavor also ended up like my clumsy attempts to woo girls in college. Me in the kitchen with a tear in my eye and my target half undressed and mocking me.

Did I miss some crucial step in blanching the almonds? Is it possible the almonds were just puritanical and didn't want to give it up to me?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Does anyone have a basic recipe for shrimp scampi?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Phummus posted:

So I decided to make my own almond flour because that stuff is expensive. I got some almonds at the bulk food section of the store.

I put them in a bowl, covered them with boiling water for 1 minute, and then drained and rinsed under cold water. From everything I've read, the skins should've slipped off like a freshman girl's dress at her first frat party.

Unfortunately, this endeavor also ended up like my clumsy attempts to woo girls in college. Me in the kitchen with a tear in my eye and my target half undressed and mocking me.

Did I miss some crucial step in blanching the almonds? Is it possible the almonds were just puritanical and didn't want to give it up to me?

Shocking them in cold water so the now loose skins contract and split open.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I never bothered with that. I just included whole almonds and zapped them in the food processor. It looks like it has sprinkles, so what

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The Midniter posted:

Does anyone have a basic recipe for shrimp scampi?
This is one of those things that I just eyeball. Basic idea here, let me know if you need something more formal.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Next Monday through Thursday I will be living in a hotel with a mini fridge and microwave. I'll also have a $25 per day food stipend. What are some things I could do to feed two people on $25 per day with the tools available? I don't want to get thrown out so no crockpot.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Valdara posted:

Next Monday through Thursday I will be living in a hotel with a mini fridge and microwave. I'll also have a $25 per day food stipend. What are some things I could do to feed two people on $25 per day with the tools available? I don't want to get thrown out so no crockpot.

Burritos. Get some flour tortillas, beans, and assorted other stuff you'd like (cilantro, tomatoes, cheese, avocado, etc.) which is all pretty cheap. Microwave the beans and whatever else, then microwave the tortilla for a little bit to warm it up and melt the cheese if necessary, eat with a squeeze of lime and some cilantro.

If you have some extra money you can splurge for a protein but it'd probably have to be precooked which is usually far more expensive than if you buy it raw. When I'm feeling hyper lazy I like to cube some andouille sausage and just nuke it with the beans.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Am I going to kill myself eating raw tuna from Costco. I followed normal good fish buying practices of nice color and no smell.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

In practical terms, what is the difference between caster and icing sugar? Particularly for when baking cakes, cupcakes, etc. I've had difficulty finding caster sugar in the past and was advised to use icing sugar, and my cakes have tasted fine with it but I'm just curious.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

Am I going to kill myself eating raw tuna from Costco. I followed normal good fish buying practices of nice color and no smell.

Nope. Generally speaking, Costco carries nicer stuff than your average local neighborhood supermarket, and I've eaten salmon, tuna, halibut, and scallops from a safeway raw with no problems. I've ceviche'd costco rockcod, shrimp, and catfish. No problems. I don't get where the costcofoods are inferior mindset comes from. Just because something can come in bulk doesn't mean it is bad.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It got me a long time to get over the costco = garbage mindset, I automatically assumed it was inferior stuff just because it was cheap.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

It got me a long time to get over the costco = garbage mindset, I automatically assumed it was inferior stuff just because it was cheap.

My 750ml of Lagavulin 16 that I got for just shy of $50 last week at costco agrees.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Nope. Generally speaking, Costco carries nicer stuff than your average local neighborhood supermarket, and I've eaten salmon, tuna, halibut, and scallops from a safeway raw with no problems. I've ceviche'd costco rockcod, shrimp, and catfish. No problems. I don't get where the costcofoods are inferior mindset comes from. Just because something can come in bulk doesn't mean it is bad.

It's not that, I'm just making sushi for the first time and I'm trying to wade through this BS I'm seeing everywhere about "Sushi Grade"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

My 750ml of Lagavulin 16 that I got for just shy of $50 last week at costco agrees.

Psh, I'm still waiting for half price 18 year Macallan to show up again. Lagavulin is like drinking a cigar.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Psh, I'm still waiting for half price 18 year Macallan to show up again. Lagavulin is like drinking a cigar.

lol Macallan. Even at half price it's still twice as much as it's worth on the palate.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I worked at a pub that was big on whiskey and Lagavulin outsold everything by probably 1 bottle of that to everything that wasn't a generic mixer whiskey. Japanese whiskeys were extremely popular though and worth looking into.

I can't stand the stuff :smith:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Might want to try Bowmore if Lagavulin is too much smoke for you.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

lol Macallan. Even at half price it's still twice as much as it's worth on the palate.
I'm not crazy about Speyside/Highland single malts in general, but I enjoy the hell out of Macallan 12 as an everyday scotch. Paired with anything (food, a cigar, or whatever) I definitely prefer a fuller-bodied bottle from Islay.

Are there any Speysides you do like, or are you just not into sweeter/fruitier single malts?

Scott Bakula posted:

I worked at a pub that was big on whiskey and Lagavulin outsold everything by probably 1 bottle of that to everything that wasn't a generic mixer whiskey. Japanese whiskeys were extremely popular though and worth looking into.
I'm not that into Japanese single malts (unless you count Bowmore, since Suntory owns them), but about all I can get locally is Hibiki (which I don't think much of) and Yamazaki (which is okay, but fruitier than I prefer). What's a better Japanese single malt to look out for?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Fraction posted:

In practical terms, what is the difference between caster and icing sugar? Particularly for when baking cakes, cupcakes, etc. I've had difficulty finding caster sugar in the past and was advised to use icing sugar, and my cakes have tasted fine with it but I'm just curious.

Caster sugar has larger grains. According to wikipedia, it's about 10x bigger than powdered/confectioner's/icing sugar. The powdered/icing/confectioner's sugar also contains cornstarch to keep it from clumping.

As for practical differences, the finer the grain the quicker it should dissolve. So finer sugars would be good for things like drinks or something you want the sugar to dissolve really well relatively quickly. If you just need sugar for a regular old cake, caster sugar or powdered sugar shouldn't be necessary, the sugar should dissolve in the cake. For Icing you want as fine a consistency of sugar as possible since the sugar won't dissolve, so powdered sugar is best there. Think of eating creamed sugar & butter from a cookie recipe as an icing. It would be kind of gritty. If you use powdered sugar though it will be smooth.

The other major concern would be that volumetric measurements of the different sugars will weigh different amounts due to the grain size. 1 cup of granulated sugar would weigh differently than 1 cup of caster's which would be different from 1 cup of powdered. So don't freely substitute them by volume, it would be like using kosher salt instead of a fine table salt when measuring salt. The content can vary by a lot.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
loving delicious, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SubG posted:

I'm not crazy about Speyside/Highland single malts in general, but I enjoy the hell out of Macallan 12 as an everyday scotch. Paired with anything (food, a cigar, or whatever) I definitely prefer a fuller-bodied bottle from Islay.

Are there any Speysides you do like, or are you just not into sweeter/fruitier single malts?

I just balk at the price. Macallan is an ok malt but you pay for the name more than you pay for the whisky. Generally, with the name comes the "oohs and aahs" about collectability and price and a lot of :words: that have nothing to do with the whisky. They make a fine malt but at ~50bux/bottle for Macallan 12, I'd rather have Aberlour 12, Clynelish 14, ancnoc 12, HP 12, etc.

Unrelated to your post: I think for those who want to try Islays but aren't ready for a mouth full of seawater and smoke, check out Bunnahabhain 12 and Bruichladdich (brew ick laddy) 10. But really, my favorite everyday whisky is Laphroaig 10 :v: