Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Harlock posted:

Will our team finally win the World Series? :ohdear:

http://www.rujasu.net/scmlb/news/html/teams/team_50.html
code:
Managing History
Year	League	Team	G	W	L	WPct	Finish	Post-Season Wins
2011	ML	Oakland	32	16	16	.500	3rd	-
2012	ML	Oakland	162	82	80	.506	2nd	-
2013	ML	Oakland	162	88	74	.543	2nd	-
2014	ML	Oakland	162	84	78	.519	2nd	-
2015	ML	Oakland	162	93	69	.574	1st	Lost ALCS
2016	ML	Oakland	162	95	67	.586	2nd	Lost ALCS
2017	ML	Oakland	162	78	84	.481	4th	-
2018	ML	Oakland	162	99	63	.611	2nd	Lost ALDS
2019	ML	Oakland	162	98	64	.605	1st	-

Don't get your hopes up. :gonk:

code:
Managing History
2010	ML	Chicago	162	82	80	.506	3rd	-
2011	ML	Chicago	162	89	73	.549	2nd	-
2012	ML	Chicago	162	96	66	.593	1st	Lost ALCS
2013	ML	Chicago	162	93	69	.574	1st	Lost WS
2014	ML	Chicago	162	86	76	.531	4th	-
2015	ML	Chicago	162	102	60	.630	1st	Lost WS
2016	ML	Chicago	162	80	82	.494	4th	-
2017	ML	Chicago	162	91	71	.562	3rd	-
2018	ML	Chicago	162	101	61	.623	1st	Lost ALCS (To an 81-81 team)
2019	ML	Chicago	163	91	72	.558	2nd	-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

You deserved to lose for beating me twice :mad:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Harlock posted:

Will our team finally win the World Series? :ohdear:

http://www.rujasu.net/scmlb/news/html/teams/team_50.html
code:
Managing History
2011	ML	Oakland	32	16	16	.500	3rd	-
2012	ML	Oakland	162	82	80	.506	2nd	-
2013	ML	Oakland	162	88	74	.543	2nd	-
2014	ML	Oakland	162	84	78	.519	2nd	-
2015	ML	Oakland	162	93	69	.574	1st	Lost ALCS
2016	ML	Oakland	162	95	67	.586	2nd	Lost ALCS
2017	ML	Oakland	162	78	84	.481	4th	-
2018	ML	Oakland	162	99	63	.611	2nd	Lost ALDS
2019	ML	Oakland	162	98	64	.605	1st	-

Probably not because OOTP is a cruel and fickle son of a bitch.

Also, there's some room in the above referenced league if anyone's interested. It's moving to OOTP 13 shortly. 10 teams are available. The owners who have stuck with it are very active. The commish is not a goon but he's a good guy who sims on time and communicates well if something's up.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 7, 2012

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I can vouch for Jake. I handed the league off to him since I'm taking care of personal issues and don't have much time for OOTP leagues. He's been in leagues for a good 10 years now, and is a very fair guy. I've also gone to a game with him, and he's far more hilarious in person, for some reason.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I've never once played in any sort of OOTP league. How demanding are they, time-wise? And how difficult are they to maintain and join?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Retail Slave posted:

I've never once played in any sort of OOTP league. How demanding are they, time-wise? And how difficult are they to maintain and join?
They aren't really very demanding. It's all a matter of how much time and effort you want to put into it. The leagues I've been in simulated a total of 3 times a week, usually every other day. Each sim was only a 7 day affair, meaning you never really needed to make sweeping changes unless something drastic happened or someone was sucking it up. You could conceivably download a file and make changes within 10-20 minutes every couple of days.

Obviously all leagues are different, but I found that was a good pace. You may need to pay more attention during the draft (if your league does a live draft) and during free agency, but it never really is a time sink. Unless you're like me and meticulously scout players, their advanced statistics, and the general makeup of the league. I enjoy pouring over our stat sheets to either find diamond in the rough free agents or to smartly spend my money. I've been in the bottom 10 for payroll my entire career in the above mentioned league, but always one of the better teams. There's a guy who made 1 or 2 updates all season and his team still won 90 some games.

It's all a matter of personal preference.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty hooked on iOOTP, having lead the Virginia Beach Orcas to league champions two seasons in a row despite being a total non-American noob at baseball. I also have OOTP 8 on the PC and hoping to pick up OOTP 9 if it goes on Steam-sale this summer.

Anyway, I had a couple of questions:

* Will players on the Minor League roster ever get better by just staying in the Minor League, or do I need to put them into my line-up or pitching staff so they can play regular games and improve there?

* Do I need to fill up the entire pitching staff, as in 5 Starters, 4 Middle Relievers, 2 Setup and 1 Closer? I know the 5 Starters and the Closer is just about a given, but I don't even really know what Relievers and Setup are for (and what stats to look for beyond ERA)

* How much ... "things" do you actually do in a season? Granted, I'm not playing with injuries yet so substitutions that way aren't a factor for me, but it seems like apart from fiddling around with the roster during the first month or so to see how players are working out and then again right after the Amateur Draft, there's really not all that much to do besides simming game after game after game if I'm already winning.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Minor leaguers improve in the minors...to a point. Eventually they'll out-play their competition and start to dominate, at which point you have to move them up so they can play stiffer competition. Not everybody makes it to the big leagues though, some guys are just really good minor leaguers that never figure out major league play.

Relievers pitch between the starter & the closer. Your starters can't all go 8+ innings every game (unless you're playing early 1900s deadball, in which case they can, will and should!). Say your starter gets knocked around in the 5th; send in a reliever to eat innings! But which one? I usually go with whoever's the best rated against the hitters coming up. Three right-handers coming up and you have a right-hander rated highly against right-handed hitters, go with him.

Just because you're winning now doesn't mean you'll be winning forever. Maybe you're on a five-game tear, but your shortstop is hitting .225 & the only player you can replace him with is hitting .150 off the bench and he's a terrible fielder. Division rival has a stud left-handed 1B and your bullpen is bereft of lefty-killing relievers. Next series you face a righty-heavy lineup and your rotation is full of righty-feeding lefthanders, but you've got a right-hander in AAA who might be OK...
Tinker with lineups. Try new things, offer trades, look at free agents. There's always some improvement to be had, and sometimes learning what doesn't work before you're desperately trying to plug holes is the best improvement of all.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

For relief pitchers, I try to focus on K/9, which means how many people they'll strike out per nine innings. Other than that, I suppose it all depends on how my team is set up. I try to get guys with a high groundball percentage if I have good infielders, and guys with low groundball percentage if I have great outfielders. I'm not sure if this stat makes any difference, but I've made that choice in my head.

Setup pitchers are usually used in the 7th/8th inning before the closer. Middle relief can pitch sort of anywhere from the 1st to the 9th. They usually pitch 5-7 depending on when your pitcher gets knocked out.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm pretty hooked on iOOTP, having lead the Virginia Beach Orcas to league champions two seasons in a row despite being a total non-American noob at baseball. I also have OOTP 8 on the PC and hoping to pick up OOTP 9 if it goes on Steam-sale this summer.
don't do this, OOTP 9 is something like four years old now and AFAIK isn't incredibly different from 8

if you want a newer version, save up a little scratch and spring for '13

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.
It's a sad GREAT day in Baltimore

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I had to go see if Peter Angelos really has a son named Michael because that would be too perfect. (He doesn't.)

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...

tadashi posted:

Also, there's some room in the above referenced league if anyone's interested. It's moving to OOTP 13 shortly. 10 teams are available. The owners who have stuck with it are very active. The commish is not a goon but he's a good guy who sims on time and communicates well if something's up.

I would love to join the league when it moves to 13. Where can I sign up?

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

con posted:

I would love to join the league when it moves to 13. Where can I sign up?

The forum is at http://simcentral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php/245-SimCentral-MLB

There is a bit of a delay between registration and the account being confirmed, but since we're still in the playoffs, the account should hopefully be activated by the time we're going to 13.

Once you register, send rujasu a PM, he is the current commissioner. He's also around the IRC channel linked at the site occasionally.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the advice, Harlock and oldskool. My next question would be depth charts: As I understand it, it's supposed to be something like a rotation for your batters so that the same 8/9 guys don't always play and get exhausted. Approximately how many players would I need per position, then?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Roster construction will obviously differ depending on what league you're in and how you want to build your team. If you want to platoon players (i.e. only start them against the handedness they're good against), you might need to carry more people at a certain position. Typically, I think a roster of:
code:
C				SP
1B				SP
2B				SP
3B				SP
SS				SP
OF				SP/MR (long relief)
OF				MR
OF				MR
C				MR
IF				SU
IF				SU
OF				CL
OF
------------------------------------
13                              12
Is a typical team structure. I've played whole seasons with players rarely getting a day off, and whole seasons with players getting a rest every 4 day. I typically just set it to replace starter "when tired" and don't set a certain number of days. That lets your starters get as much playing time as possible. As for backups and bench players, it all depends on what you want to do. Do you need more pinch runners to steal bases? Defensive replacements? Platoon players? If you play with a DH, you'll obviously have a shorter bench too. So maybe you won't need that sixth SP/MR.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 12, 2012

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Somebody who can pinch hit, somebody who can pinch run, somebody to play at every defensive position at least semi-adequately, and at least one lefty/righty.
Be sure you have at least one left-handed non-closer in your bullpen, too. I like to keep 2 minimum. If you have a reliever who can handle a bat decently, that's just an added bonus. Sacrifice bunts are more important but if they can get a hit every now & again it'll be of great benefit.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
if your entire team strategy doesn't revolve around "dingers and walks and hope the pitching doesn't fall apart (the pitching is going to fall apart)" then it is clearly inferior

I took over the St. Louis Cardinals in 1985 with the stated goal of "gently caress Whiteyball in its dumb rear end, burn it to the loving ground":

I'd say I managed to do that pretty effectively. Looking at these starters, you can tell pretty much the exact point where I started rebuilding (in the 2002 draft, I had SIX picks in the first/sandwich rounds). Made the playoffs in '90, '91, '95, '96, and '98, but never won a championship. The pitching was/still is a shameful shitshow (even in the playoff years) so I'm not going to post about it except for the five words, "Bruce Chen, Number One Starter".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
When considering a batter's handed-ness versus a pitcher, should I be looking for the same hand as the pitcher, or the opposite hand, or is that something that only the stats would reveal?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

When considering a batter's handed-ness versus a pitcher, should I be looking for the same hand as the pitcher, or the opposite hand, or is that something that only the stats would reveal?

Batters have the advantage in opposing-hand situations (LHB vs RHP and RHB vs LHP) because breaking pitches come inside on them, which is easier to distinguish than pitches tailing away from them.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Opposite hand usually yields a better result, but since OOTP is such a numbers driven game, you can see how good someone is against handedness.

Take a look at this guy on my team:
http://www.rujasu.net/scmlb/news/html/players/player_26394.html

His splits for R/L are pretty drastic. He just gets swallowed up by LHP. I'd almost never put him in a vs LHP lineup.

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.
Are there any online leagues that goons are in? I have been messing around with OOTP for the last few versions but nothing serious. Thinking Online League might be pretty interesting

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Are there any edited roster sets out? Miguel Sano is listed at 55 power potential in the game I just started, which is ridiculous, he's a top 3 power prospect in the whole league.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

SAMB0 posted:

Are there any online leagues that goons are in? I have been messing around with OOTP for the last few versions but nothing serious. Thinking Online League might be pretty interesting

There are several of us still in this league (It's MLB-based but going into the 2020 off-season):

http://simcentral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php/245-SimCentral-MLB

http://www.rujasu.net/scmlb/news/html/leagues/league_100_home.html

There are several teams available. If you register on the forums over there, Tavarin, Harlock, or I could try to get your account activated. The guy who runs it sometimes takes a while. It's a good league with plenty of activity between the GMs and a community that has been together for a long time.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 20, 2012

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...

tadashi posted:

There are several of us still in this league (It's MLB-based but going into the 2020 off-season):

http://simcentral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php/245-SimCentral-MLB

http://www.rujasu.net/scmlb/news/html/leagues/league_100_home.html

There are several teams available. If you register on the forums over there, Tavarin, Harlock, or I could try to get your account activated. The guy who runs it sometimes takes a while. It's a good league with plenty of activity between the GMs and a community that has been together for a long time.

Just joined this league as the Dodgers. I have an old account there back from 2002 I think. Wow I have been away from that forum for a long time.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

How do I even sign up? I saw the Twins are open and I would like to take over, but I don't want to post in a random thread or anything.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

How do I even sign up? I saw the Twins are open and I would like to take over, but I don't want to post in a random thread or anything.

Sign up for the forum and send the commissioner, rujasu a PM to sign up. You can also occasionally find him in the IRC channel connected to to the forum.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Looks like I have to wait for account activation to do so. Ah well.

vvv nope, that's what it is vvv

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 23, 2012

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Looks like I have to wait for account activation to do so. Ah well.

Yeah, it's an annoying system, but bots kept signing up for accounts. I'll send the admin a message. Lemme know if the name was something other than IcePhoenix.

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.
Yeah I am awaiting activation, user name is samb0. Excited to see how this plays out. I saw things about exporting so I am not sure exactly how the league works but it looks to be fun.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

God drat, this team.

I probably did some things I shouldn't have but that's half the fun!

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.
Whats the IRC channel for the league? I tried sending a message to get activated on the forums. I see the Padres are available and would like to get in on the fun.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

SAMB0 posted:

Whats the IRC channel for the league? I tried sending a message to get activated on the forums. I see the Padres are available and would like to get in on the fun.

I've sent the admin a message, but his availability is usually spotty. The commissioner of the league is aware that you will be joining the forums though.

The IRC channel is irc.simcentral.net

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.

Tavarin posted:

I've sent the admin a message, but his availability is usually spotty. The commissioner of the league is aware that you will be joining the forums though.

The IRC channel is irc.simcentral.net

Ok, cool thanks. I joined the forums about a week ago so that should not be a problem.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Just putting out feelers: Would anyone be interested in an all-goon OOTP 12 league? I don't have 13 yet :(

The league doesn't exist yet, and I'm thinking either starting at 1901 with real players, or perhaps fake teams with fake players. I'd have to research how most of these things are run, though.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I'd be in. Start at 1901. That'd be boss.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Regnevelc posted:

I'd be in. Start at 1901. That'd be boss.

Anyone else?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Retail Slave posted:

Anyone else?

New York Giants if so, I want Christy Mathewson.

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.

Retail Slave posted:

Anyone else?

I would as Well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.