Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Game 7 of the World Series. Am I right in having Milacki and Lloyd ready to go at 80%+ or should I bring one of my SuBs out of retirement? I've got Bernhard at 110/120 with a pull rating of 3 and Addie set for any inning and ready to go long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

jeffersonlives posted:

What fun is that?

Now I'm insanely curious as to how you got eight positions covered with two guys.
Jose Oquendo, WIS superstar.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

foolish_fool posted:

How does defence work for players that never played that position?

outfielders are really bad at playing infield

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Devo posted:

Game 7 of the World Series. Am I right in having Milacki and Lloyd ready to go at 80%+ or should I bring one of my SuBs out of retirement? I've got Bernhard at 110/120 with a pull rating of 3 and Addie set for any inning and ready to go long.

Update: Didn't matter! Bernhard is the man!

http://whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=17791177&pid=1&pbp=0

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
So in pick 6 61-85, the four guys I tried to sneak through all got claimed a hundred times each, but I made successful claims on Koufax and Mantle, and someone else made a successful claim on Bob Gibson. Huh.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

jeffersonlives posted:

I made successful claims on Koufax and Mantle

Congrats on your WS win.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

AlleyViper posted:

Congrats on your WS win.

Yeah, I mean, I didn't get Jim Wynn or John Tudor through, but I did get the best hitter and pitcher in the entire pool. Go figure.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Tudor is absolutely not someone who would have slipped through, if I were in the league I'd have pegged him to be off the board in round 1. Wynn was definitely a good slip candidate.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

Tudor is absolutely not someone who would have slipped through, if I were in the league I'd have pegged him to be off the board in round 1. Wynn was definitely a good slip candidate.

Tudor is only the 17th best SP with decent innings by ERC# in the pool, surprisingly.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
I considered claiming mantle. Woops.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

Tudor is only the 17th best SP with decent innings by ERC# in the pool, surprisingly.

Still not someone I'd expect to slip through and I'd much rather have him than McNally or Chance or Seaver. Plus not everyone searches the same way we do.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Yeah like I said in IRC earlier, Tudor is one of the first guys someone would name if you told them to name a great SimLeague pitcher from that time frame. I'm not surprised at all that he went in the 1st.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

So, after 20 games, my Greenwell team is going to look something like this:

My bullpen is a little icky but my 1-4 is about as good as it gets outside of nasboat's stupid team, plus I've got the fourth best pitching coach in the world. Adding William Daly and Bennett improves the offense over last season and both are stud prospects who should get a not-insignificant bump after spring training. Malachi should get a tad better in his fourth pro year, too, and I've got a couple stud DHs in the minors that can contribute now if I get sick of Tony Daly.

My team won 82 games last season despite my tanking the final 20 games or so for draft position once I fell out of contention, and playing more than 40 points below their pythag even with said tanking factored in. I'm cautiously optimistic about this season...

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 24, 2012

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Jesus Alonso owns he's WMP as a catcher

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

He's also a gold glove caliber defender. If he hits 25-30 bombs and throws out 35% then I'm thrilled.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I somehow managed to avoid being in any WISC first round leagues with any other goon.

And only one league with rbow.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Someone had to back out, so i'm in the TOC :krad:

Edit: i'm having a hell of a time with this 70mil league

ArtVandelay fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 26, 2012

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
I'm happy with everything except the Regressive-Progressive; both halves of my team are pretty standard and would probably win 100 games in an OL but it doesn't really feel... right.

I'm in a 40m league that is 13 games into the season. At this stage prettymuch the whole legue (including me) miscalculated PA/IP - only 5 of the 24 teams have hitters above 90% fatigue and pitching doesn't fare much better. Every game has multiple injuries (example). Its hillarious, I have no idea how the season is going to end up.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Okay, i'm clearly in way over my head with the WISC. I can't put together a single one of these teams at all.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I'm out of teams, so sign up for the open league rush now! ZJ and I are in. Teams will be entered soon!

CATCH THE FEVER

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Double posting for awesomeness. Let's get some teams together

Stupid lack of good Bobby catchers

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Joined an OL but you guys are nowhere to be found, are there still open spots? League #?

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
I don't have time to make a team until later today but I want in

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

toadee posted:

Joined an OL but you guys are nowhere to be found, are there still open spots? League #?

Pull out if you can. We were waiting for more people to join up. I'm shooting for Monday to let people build teams over the weekend.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Devo posted:

Pull out if you can. We were waiting for more people to join up. I'm shooting for Monday to let people build teams over the weekend.

Yup I'm out, ok then I will hold on to this merry band of few-true-outcome-doubles-hitters for the weekend.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Despite being around for years now, I've still never joined an OL. How do they work? Do they all follow the same set of rules, like $80m, DH, AAA, etc?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Ivan Drago posted:

Despite being around for years now, I've still never joined an OL. How do they work? Do they all follow the same set of rules, like $80m, DH, AAA, etc?

$80MM, no DH, 6/2 (above average?)AAA

Expect lots of deadball pitchers and a few teams that obviously have no clue what they're doing.

Need a minimum of 1250 IP/162 and 4800 PAs to make any moves so that's what you usually shoot for with your "good" players.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Devo posted:

6/2 (above average?)AAA

Average.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Basically open leagues are all about three things

1) Build a cookie team to win
2) Build a stupid gimmick team for funsies
3) Try something that you've never attempted

Or some combination of the three. I'm going with 2/3 this time because I've never used anyone similar to Bobby Mathews at all and I'm curious how it will shake out.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Devo posted:

$80MM, no DH, 6/2 (above average?)AAA

Expect lots of deadball pitchers and a few teams that obviously have no clue what they're doing.

Need a minimum of 1250 IP/162 and 4800 PAs to make any moves so that's what you usually shoot for with your "good" players.
We've only used AAA a couple times in the last dozen seasons here so I'm not really sure how to incorporate them into a build. Is 6/2 the hitters/pitchers you get? I assume that means you can skimp on a few PA and IP in addition to having (8) $200k guys on your roster to swap out?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I forgot to mention that there's also waiver wire, so when I'm building a normal OL team I shoot for 6 200k hitters and 3 200k pitchers. You'll cut all 9 of them and have room to pick up a decent reliever somewhere along the line. So yeah, plenty of room to skimp on IPs and PAs.

e: in the open league I just finished I managed to pick up Graeme Lloyd on the waiver wire. So there's decent guys to be had there.

Devo fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 29, 2012

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Ivan Drago posted:

I assume that means you can skimp on a few PA and IP

Very much so. When I build a legit OL team any more, I always try to get as close to the minimum PA floor with my starting 8 as possible. Your staff can pretty well go down to the IP minimum, too, if they're not total crap and you're not throwing out a complete rear end defense.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

Very much so. When I build a legit OL team any more, I always try to get as close to the minimum PA floor with my starting 8 as possible. Your staff can pretty well go down to the IP minimum, too, if they're not total crap and you're not throwing out a complete rear end defense.
Excellent, cheers for the tips.

Last question: what's the best way to give yourself an advantage in a ToC? I'm sure there are certain caps with or without the DH and AAA that give you a slight advantage over other teams in your group, but is there a hard line drawn on those divisions? I assume it would involve joining specific theme leagues.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

With OLs, just build a cookie team with lots of high IP/G relievers like Milacki, Andy Rincon, so you can throw them out to start if need be.

Other than that the only thing you can really do is hope a theme league you're in puts you in a good cap bracket for a ToC.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Well, I WAS going to do the WiSC, but, as some of you who are facebook friends with me know, I just got accepted by an apartment, and i'm finally moving out of my parents house, so I need to save my money!

I'm obviously going to join season 20, but that may be it for a little, at least until I find out what I have extra each month.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Another World Series appearance! :toot:

C'mon Bob win three in a row

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
I'm already confused by how ToC fatigue works and I hope Sandy isn't dead for Game 4.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Same with my '08 Addie. He'll only be sitting at 91% after game two. Hoping he's ready for game four since I don't have anyone else. Or I could just win the series in three games. Either way.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

You have Bob Milacki, whose entire point is to be a ToC spot starter if necessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I don't really want to waste him in round 1!

• Locked thread