Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the Val
Nov 21, 2005

Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart
For everyone new hopping into the game and willing to drop some dollars on VIP, I too am pretty new (started when it went F2P) and the thing I had the most fun with is yon super overdone SS/Fire/Mu farmface brute. It's a very common power combo to build and there's guides and recommendations all over the place.

I cheated a bit, though, because I started on the Freedom server where people seem to throw random billions at strangers in costume contests on an incredibly regular basis (I am good at winning costume contests because I am a beautiful flower). That gave me the capital to invest in a decent set of I/Os to get people through fancy AE farms with.

Then I charged people for farming them.

Then I transferred to Virtue so I could sit in Pocket D all the time.

On that note, though, if anyone needs/wants a farm and I am around just yell in channel and I will usually vomit thick gobs of experience all over you. No fee.

TalonDemonKing posted:

Pocket D is amazing to hang out in, and the remote AH command is pretty amazing to have. It's one of the few features I wish other games would pick up.

You need to be something ridiculous like Tier 8 in the Paragon Rewards system for that, though. :smith:

Maybe when I get there I can become an auction baron and make so much money I don't need to have a real job.

Smuggins posted:

Well stupid me did not realize that the default setting for screenshots do not include the UI overlay.

This is actually incredibly unintuitive- there's a bind you're supposed to make to toggle between the two screenshot modes (with or without UI) in keybindings but there is literally no feedback at all as to whether or not you've toggled it.

Also the .jpg screenshots have terrible artifacting, so you should rebind the "JPG SCREENSHOT" key to the "TGA SCREENSHOT KEY" if you don't mind dealing with .tga files.

Or you could use that fancy slash command people use that I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Rixen posted:

um.... i ummmmmmmm im not. sure um. *eyes glow*...... maybe um t....hey run ......off *chuckles* to... ummm ....................... there base..................................

You're good at imitating Pocket D speak, forums poster Rixen

A little too good

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

/screenshotui 1

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I dealt with the guy in the pink shirt yesterday, his name is Top Fist.

He is only noteworthy because he is an obvious-virgin Nice Guy who is incapable of dealing with women both in and out of character. Going off on a drunken rant at him that it's 'really not that loving hard, you can't gently caress this up' (with support from everyone around since they weren't socially retarded) was only not satisfying because he remained completely assured on both sides of RP that he was doing the right thing and she'd come around eventually.

Hahaha, what?

I'm playing an incubus where I'm actively trying to repel women and still manage to attract a small crowd.

Really, if you're going to roleplay anything, why roleplay an incompetent nice-guy?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

There's an old mantra of, "Write what you know."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TalonDemonKing posted:

Hahaha, what?

I'm playing an incubus where I'm actively trying to repel women and still manage to attract a small crowd.

Really, if you're going to roleplay anything, why roleplay an incompetent nice-guy?

Because he doesn't realize he is. I don't think he understands he is a Nice Guy, he just thinks he's portraying accurately his own ability to treat a woman with respect by letting her come to him.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

WeX Majors posted:

And my basic attempt at a Mars Attacks alien results in a sad realization

The bubble helmet is too small for the exposed brain hair :(

This is my attempt. The cape helps cover up part of the brain, sorta. Or at least it makes me not care.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

What are you doing to farm up? My Wp brute isn't as fast as fire, but the ticket missions back in the day weren't all that hard.

Also, for all the infulence I've been sitting on, I just realized that half of my build is filled with level 40 IOs.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
Gee, way to just STEAL MY IDEA, GAWD.
Seriously, I figured that cape would help matters. Also please go back and adjust those colors because having everything just be that standard green is driving my OCD insane.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

WeX Majors posted:

Gee, way to just STEAL MY IDEA, GAWD.
Seriously, I figured that cape would help matters. Also please go back and adjust those colors because having everything just be that standard green is driving my OCD insane.

I came up with the idea as soon as I heard about the retro bubble helmet mister :colbert:

As far as I know, you got the idea from me. :c00lbert:

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

TalonDemonKing posted:

What are you doing to farm up? My Wp brute isn't as fast as fire, but the ticket missions back in the day weren't all that hard.

Also, for all the infulence I've been sitting on, I just realized that half of my build is filled with level 40 IOs.

fire trolls in caves Fire Trolls In Caves FIRE TROLLS IN CAVES!!!!!

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?

Soothing Vapors posted:

A little too good

umm hehe, i dont know what your talking about! im a goon just like you... *gasps as her fangs start to show, covers her mouth, but then a tail appears*

um omg, i gtg, brb

*runs off on all fours, stops along the way to plow a succubus*

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

^^ I don't know if it's cause it's 3am in the morning but I can't stop giggling at that.

Concurred posted:

Can I get some clarification on this? This a specific mission or some AE ticket farming?

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:

TalonDemonKing posted:

Can I get some clarification on this? This a specific mission or some AE ticket farming?

Concurred posted:

literally just search for fire trolls in caves or fire cave trolls or fire trolls in a cave or cave trolls on fire, as long as you got those three magic words you are good to go.

the Val
Nov 21, 2005

Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart
I just search "Red's" or "@Dacu" and pick whatever I feel like doing. He's made pretty much one of each viable or popular farm there is. There's quite a few, like Caves, Caves w/ Patrol, Red's City Carnival Farm and Red's Fire Farm.

Caves w/ patrol is my favourite- it's essentially the same as fire trolls. Caves is a good choice if you want more control over how much firepower you want to take at a time, since dudes aren't going to randomly walk into you while you're almost dead and wiping up the last of a pack.

Red's Fire Farm is the classic short-run farm with 2 ambushes (since any more is pointless now) and is what I would start with if I wanted to just get into the heat of things.

City Carnival is a massive open map with a whole bunch of dudes randomly spread out, it's probably got the most mobs of the lot and if you like to move around a lot or find caves claustrophobic maybe you'll like it. I personally don't.

Farming can be pretty dull so make sure you don't do too much at once and burn out, but it is a good way to let off steam after an awful day of sitting in Pocket D. Remember to set yourself at +4*8 before starting any or you'll just be plodding along wondering why it's so easy.

Also I'm pretty sure ticket farming isn't profitable anymore, but I am no wizard of the economy.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Red's Carnival is my favourite. Open, easy to get like 4-5 groups close to each other so you don't have to move a whole lot.

I just got into this whole thing and I love burnin and stompin dudes to death, the sound effects are so satisfying.

But yeah, I don't make a lot of money at it. Mostly it's just to help pay forward a lot of the help I've gotten over the years.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

the Val posted:

Also I'm pretty sure ticket farming isn't profitable anymore, but I am no wizard of the economy.

So wrong, I can go on my TW/WP who is far less efficient than someone actually designed for ticket farming and hit ticket cap a couple times in half an hour, maybe an hour. in fire cave then run upstairs and burn them bronze rolls and usually make around a quarter billion.

Its important to note that ticket farming and powerleveling are two very different things. Ticket farming you want it set at like 0/8 or +1/8 so you can hit the ticket cap asap and quit out of the mission, shouldnt take more than 5-10 minutes to hit the cap depending on how efficient you are.

Also it helps tremendously to have /ah command, if you dont have remote auction house than Id stick with just cashing out tickets into rare salvage because its probably not worth the time to run back and forth to the ah with all your recipes unless you have a very good idea of which ones are worth what without looking at wentworths. rare salvage is not nearly as profitable but its still good money at around 100m per 9999 tickets and doesnt require sorting through hundreds of crap recipes.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Was anyone else on a Magi trial with me at about 7:30 PST last night? We made it all the way to the Tyrant fight, got him down to about 40% HP, and...

Everybody went AFK? I don't even know. His health didn't budge from there for another 20 minutes of uproarious blame-slinging and human being-calling.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

No but thats not that uncommon, I think around 30% he kicks it into super douchebag mode and gets significantly harder, Ive only run the entire trial a few times so Im not sure if its the light wells spawn quicker or he just gets more resist / regen or a level bump or what but getting him down to 30% is the easy part.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Hi posted:

No but thats not that uncommon, I think around 30% he kicks it into super douchebag mode and gets significantly harder, Ive only run the entire trial a few times so Im not sure if its the light wells spawn quicker or he just gets more resist / regen or a level bump or what but getting him down to 30% is the easy part.

Once you drop him below 50% HP he gets a buff to regen that scales up the lower his HP drops. At around 10/11% HP he regains something like 5% of his total health in five seconds. In my experience, if your team doesn't have the DPS or isn't great at killing the lights, you'll ping pong between 30-40% health until the trial ends.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
There's also an ~Amazing Bug~ with Magi right now making it so if you run with more than 16 total player units (Units = characters + pets including Lore pets), the fight gets exponentially harder. The reason is when you kill the wells of light, they give ONLY 16 level shifts randomly assigned to all player units that aren't dead/in the respawn place. That means instead of getting a bunch of people to +5, you have a middling number of guys shifted to +2/3 and an assload of useless pets sucking up the level shifts (this further proves how terrible the Lore slot is and why MMs are still beaten stepchildren).

Basically, do not run Magistrium if you have more than 16 players or if you have MMs who are too retarded to dismiss their useless pets.

Edit: If you run with just 16 people though it makes Magi probably the second-easiest trial in the game because holy poo poo there is nothing challenging about that fight if half your team has a pulse. it just gives jack-poo poo for rewards aside from 1 Astral and 2/1 Emp merits (garbage).

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
My global handle is Snackbar, I would like an invite to the super secret channel

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
I would like to run the Tin Mage task force at some point and go for the Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight badge. It's something that'll be fairly easy to get these days, since there'll be more than enough pets to nuke an AV without players touching ground. Anyone else interested?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Fearless_Decoy posted:

I would like to run the Tin Mage task force at some point and go for the Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight badge. It's something that'll be fairly easy to get these days, since there'll be more than enough pets to nuke an AV without players touching ground. Anyone else interested?

What exactly are the requirements and can I use this as an excuse to keep group fly?

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Slung Blade posted:

What exactly are the requirements and can I use this as an excuse to keep group fly?

The badge requirement is 'no teammates taking damage from Director 11's (the AV in the first mission) trip mines (which he spams all around him as he runs around'.

So yeah, Group Fly is awesome for that.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

S.D. posted:

The badge requirement is 'no teammates taking damage from Director 11's (the AV in the first mission) trip mines (which he spams all around him as he runs around'.

So yeah, Group Fly is awesome for that.

Sure, I'm down for that. Do we know if we get the badge immediately, or do we have to wait for the end of the task force?

I'm good to go tonight once I get home.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
The standard way to earn the badge nowadays is just to get enough damage monsters together to stomp the Director before any trip mines go off, which is quite viable with a good team. If you guys are IO'd and incarnated out, you probably won't even need Group Fly.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Never bothered with group fly, never failed midnight bomber. Stack pets and watch him melt.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Forgot I already had the Master of Tin Mage badge, ran it again anyway. :pcgaming:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

"John Starkweather. [sic posted:

"]
(( Mature RP))

Name: John Starkweather

Affiliation: Villains of Paragon City, formerly Arachnos (Shadow Spider detachment).

John Starkweather is a criminal mastermind operating directly inside Paragon City; recruiting countless social undesireables into his seemingly never-ending quest to conquer the City of Heroes and its denizens. No one is safe from the infamous ex-Arbiter - men, women, children - his total disregard for human life knows no bounds.

Most recently, after shutting down the VoPC due to his capture in late 2011 by Hero Corps authorities, Starkweather has seen to it his organization revives back to it's glory days.

Notes:
--Starky has the same physique, facial features, and voice of the Resident Evil (4) character, Leon S. Kennedy.
--If you're interested in having your character killed off, feel free to contact Starky OOC

I can get behind playing an actual goddamn bad guy and actually doing bad guy poo poo, but my money's on him being like, fifteen in real life.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 20, 2012

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Who the hell are the Starkweathers? I've seen a few of them running around Virtue; rude bunch of fellows.

Also, what's everyone's opinion about running a villain like Amon from Legend of Korra? Built around the idea of removing people's powers (Or the people themselves) due to the amount of harm they cause (Lord Recluse, any number of super-villains, hero collateral damage like Siren's call).

I know the argument is flawed, but I'd like to run something crazy like that. Ideas?

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jun 20, 2012

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

TalonDemonKing posted:

Who the hell are the Starkweathers? I've seen a few of them running around Virtue; rude bunch of fellows.

Far as I can tell, a small group of people who play yeah, a rude bunch of fellows. They seem nice enough out of character, but they also clearly don't have any original ideas in their head and just steal from other places. Johnny is just just a Resident Evil character, right down to supposedly having superpowers from the 'R-Virus' which just zombifies everyone else. He doesn't even hide it, I can't decide if that's admirable or stupid.

quote:

Also, what's everyone's opinion about running a villain like Amon from Legend of Korra? Built around the idea of removing people's powers (Or the people themselves) due to the amount of harm they cause (Lord Recluse, any number of super-villains, hero collateral damage like Siren's call).

I know the argument is flawed, but I'd like to run something crazy like that. Ideas?

I think you'll find the two of us are the only people here who actually roleplay in the game instead of just laugh at the bad roleplayers, but I can get behind this. It sounds like a clever idea, but I'm not sure what powers you'd go with (that don't suck). Also sounds like a good way to gather bad roleplayer :qq: if you're good at it.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jun 20, 2012

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?
Removing powers? You're going to disable my telepathic fetish-detection and hyper-sensitive dong?

gently caress you, you're reported for griefing.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Rixen posted:

Removing powers? You're going to disable my telepathic fetish-detection and hyper-sensitive dong?

gently caress you, you're reported for griefing.

Soothing Vapors posted:

A little too good

Harrassing the fetishists with anti-super propaganda sounds too good to pass up.

Ideally, technology can really hit up any power (Demon summoning and necromancy might be a bit weird), as well as having some sort of anti-super plot device ("It's like the Malta's version... Except more permament.") Trying to garner support and sympathy is a bit harder to work on, though, due to most players will be the 'targets'.

Ideally, something along the lines of 'We hope you die in the persuit of our goals.' would probably fit their motto, but I need something more along the lines of 'We hope that you'll understand that once we've completed our goal, you'll realize that your power will no longer be needed.' Something that sounds better, even if the end goal is to remove all super powers and lock down Primal Earth from being entered.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I kind of sort of roleplay, in that I've got a character planned out for any given dude I make except the really dumb poo poo, but I view RPing as practice for moving on to legit writing, and CoH has nothing for me except really light characterization practice. The standard is just rock-bottom.

I MUSH though, so I'm snooty and arrogant.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

TalonDemonKing posted:

So you want to be Malta?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
No, with Malta it's more about controlling supers, not destroying them.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Why would I aspire to be like a group of common thugs? They have done nothing but continued their reign of terror of normal citizens, going to lengths of bullying and even kidnapping normal people in order to lure those who would call themselves 'Heroes' as bait. Have you seen the Malta deal with the Countess, who snatches our borther in sisters off the streets for her cruel experiments?

We are an organization devoted to protecting the common individual -- Nay, we are devoted to protecting all of mankind. Even the supers who we fight today can become our ally tomorrow; We can offer them a cure to that plague that deludes them to take up the mantle of Hero or Villain. A total freedom that we wish for everyone to share -- A life where one will not live under the tyranniclal rule of those meta-humans; Or a life free of rampant genes, a life lived without the worry of powers unchecked, a life returned that was once stolen from you in the middle of the night, by surgeons and mad doctors.

The Malta only offer oppression and suffering; a corporation only interested in the bottom line.

We offer salvation for those who seek it; protection for those who need it, and most importantly, freedom for all within Primal Earth.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Cleretic posted:

I think you'll find the two of us are the only people here who actually roleplay in the game instead of just laugh at the bad roleplayers,

I did it once or twice a few years ago. I even have a character with a bio and poo poo. I just don't bother because the community is terrible. :v:

Also that's actually a neat concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I read that last as 'Devouring Earth' for a second, and almost reached for my flame thrower. I'm sure more Goons RP, they just don't admit it for fear of being lumped in with the futa catgirls dragging their slimy horsecocks around the D.

Yes, that is an actual bio somewhere. I've seen it. :stare:

• Locked thread