Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

CTF as a game-mode peaked at some combination of Unreal Tournament, Loki Quake 2, and Team Fortress Classic. Now the only popular game with a CTF mode is Team Fortress 2 and I don't really care for the CTF in that game. I really miss CTF :smith:

My preferred CTF games were the ones in Quake 2 and Quake 3 with the runes and grappling hook. Man, was it fun. Monkeying around with the grapple was one of the best things ever.

gently caress, I miss it now. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Mill Village posted:

The game still is a broken mess. I cannot play it online because it insists my Gamespy login is wrong.

This reminds me, while on the topic: Don't by Nexuiz. It seems like some joyous Q3 style fun with random powerups, but I wouldn't be able to tell you if this is true, as I've never actually managed to play with another living person. Well, that's a lie. Lets just say I've never actually managed to play with another living person who was, in game, actually visible. I've had the pleasure of chatting with some fellow Nexuiz players, but never have we been able to properly deathmatch because holy gently caress, we can't even see eachother. To my knowledge, this bug, since launch, still has not been addressed.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

poptart_fairy posted:

Man, the further into Doom 2 I'm getting with Brutal Mod the more of a slog it feels like. The constant hit scan enemies and sheer rate of fire they dish out makes the game feel like a horrible war of attrition more than anything fast paced or arcadey, maybe I'm playing it wrong.

I'm spending far more time with the PSX Wad now, with as close to 'vanilla' as I can - no jump/crouch, etc, and I'm enjoying that far more. If I could get the extra gore, without the extra enemy shrieking noises, that'd be grand. To me the PSX version has always been the more atmospheric and ~immersive~ experience.

Sounds like you want the best of both worlds: Fast and arcadey, but atmospheric and immersive. :colbert:

Brutal Doom certainly has a learning curve, and it can turn some already challening WADs into a slogfest, especially on higher difficulties. Once you get the hang of it, though, Doom 2 shouldn't give you much trouble--even on UV. Nowadays, I can blast through the first half of the game on UV without needing to reload a save (the same cannot be said of other WADs.)

You do have the play the game a little differently, though, and give extra care to hitscan creatures. That doesn't mean taking things slower--just relearning how to prioritize fights, kite enemies, and flip-flop between weapons. Fodder enemies can kill you, especially Imps, and squads of Revenants demand more precise usage of strafing and cover (or very, very aggressive Super Shotgun charges that can confuse their homing missiles.) The increased lethality of your opponent can be used against them, too: Pain Elementals turn into bombs on death, Arachnotrons can seriously mow poo poo down with their plasma guns, and Mancubuses are in-fighting machines that will decimate entire squads of lesser enemies as they try to shoot you.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

poptart_fairy posted:

Man, the further into Doom 2 I'm getting with Brutal Mod the more of a slog it feels like. The constant hit scan enemies and sheer rate of fire they dish out makes the game feel like a horrible war of attrition more than anything fast paced or arcadey, maybe I'm playing it wrong.

I'm spending far more time with the PSX Wad now, with as close to 'vanilla' as I can - no jump/crouch, etc, and I'm enjoying that far more. If I could get the extra gore, without the extra enemy shrieking noises, that'd be grand. To me the PSX version has always been the more atmospheric and ~immersive~ experience.

Isn't this what Brutal Doom Lite is?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's a lite version?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Sounds like you want the best of both worlds: Fast and arcadey, but atmospheric and immersive. :colbert:

It's called standards brah, maybe you should get some. :smug:

But no, I see what you're saying and I appreciate the advice there! I think really I went into the mod expecting more of a spectacle than a challenge - i.e. stuff exploding into gorey bits because I have a minigun, rather than oh god oh poo poo they're everywhere help me help me help me help me - and it's something I'm not really adjusting to all that well. I'll keep it at a while longer though; the mod's good I'm just obviously not its intended audience. :v:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Have you tried Beautiful Doom for GZDoom or ReDoom? They are pretty close to vanilla, and Beautiful Doom is modular.

TastySauce
Jul 17, 2004

I AM A SKEPTOPOTAMUS!

poptart_fairy posted:

There's a lite version?

It's called standards brah, maybe you should get some. :smug:

But no, I see what you're saying and I appreciate the advice there! I think really I went into the mod expecting more of a spectacle than a challenge - i.e. stuff exploding into gorey bits because I have a minigun, rather than oh god oh poo poo they're everywhere help me help me help me help me - and it's something I'm not really adjusting to all that well. I'll keep it at a while longer though; the mod's good I'm just obviously not its intended audience. :v:

I don't remember if Brutal Doom has this by default, but if you pair the mod with regenerating health (You slowly regenerate if you're lower than 20 or something), then I think it keeps a great, arcadey feel. The game is still challenging, but at least you can play pretty aggressively if you want.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Brutal Doom is designed to be played in conjunction with levels roughly on par with the original Doom/Doom 2 WADs. It gets crazy hard on 'expert' level packs like Scythe 2, Alien Vendetta, etc, and should ideally be played on the lower difficulty settings then. It's a deadlier game overall, as enemies can kill you quicker, but your guns are much more powerful.

When you're on a roll, you're an unstoppable juggernaut wading through monster guts. When you screw up, you're dead in three seconds.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dominic White posted:

When you're on a roll, you're an unstoppable juggernaut wading through monster guts. When you screw up, you're dead in three seconds.

Brutal Doom + Brutalized Doom 2 Hardcore + UV = :stare:

It's completely ridiculous.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

KozmoNaut posted:

Onslaught was amazing if you had at last 10 people playing, preferably 16+, with vehicles everywhere.

Asbestos is (obviously) an industrial map, perhaps you're thinking of Albatross? It's one of my favorites, too.

YES! Albatross, goddamn, what an absolutely beautiful level. The layout was good, but jesus christ did that place look so goddamned pretty. :swoon:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
This weekend, instead of playing doom as I have been for quite a while, with brutal doom or beautiful doom in gzdoom, I played DTWID in chocolate doom. It was fun! There's still a lot to be said for vanilla doom.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:supaburn: I was messing with SALR months ago and accidentally removed most of my bookmarks. I forgot all about this thread.

Question: what source ports are out there for Linux? I know Doomsday exists, but I don't hate myself enough to use it. Are there any software driven ones or are they all powered by OGL? I could use Chocolate Doom but it would be nice to have one a bit more feature-rich.

Also, are you guys still interested in a spruced-up version of that comprehensive Doom Builder 2 guide posted like forever ago? Or was that already addressed? It was on hiatus for a while, but I'm ready to work on it again.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mak0rz posted:

Question: what source ports are out there for Linux? I know Doomsday exists, but I don't hate myself enough to use it. Are there any software driven ones or are they all powered by OGL? I could use Chocolate Doom but it would be nice to have one a bit more feature-rich

ZDoom for software rendering, GZDoom for OpenGL goodness.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There's also PRBoom and PRBoom+ which are closer to being Chocolate Doom with extra features.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

KozmoNaut posted:

ZDoom for software rendering, GZDoom for OpenGL goodness.

I feel stupid. Where can I find a Linux version of Zdoom? :psyduck:

Install Gentoo posted:

There's also PRBoom and PRBoom+ which are closer to being Chocolate Doom with extra features.

Ah, I forgot about those. I'll check it out.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

I feel stupid. Where can I find a Linux version of Zdoom? :psyduck:
Weirdly enough, nobody seems to release SVN builds of Zdoom for Linux. If you feel technically competent (you are using Linux) you can compile it yourself.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Mak0rz posted:

Also, are you guys still interested in a spruced-up version of that comprehensive Doom Builder 2 guide posted like forever ago? Or was that already addressed? It was on hiatus for a while, but I'm ready to work on it again.
I don't recall it being updated or anything but I'd love it if you touched up what you already have. I started mapping after reading the original tutorial and I'm wondering if there are any other things I've missed.

Anyway, after the shitpile that was checkpoint.wad I've started on something that's hopefully a little more fun and interesting to look at. It's based in a research lab located besides a volcano!

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

This layout looks pretty cool.

Also, are you guys talking about the DB2 guide I uploaded a while back? I wanted to add some things to it but never did. Would have liked to make it cover more advanced topics. I wrote it while I was at work and is saved on my work computer.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 21, 2012

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Guillermus posted:

UT 99 had lots of good maps but everyone played 2-3 (and face on ctf) to boredom. Assault mode was really fun but wasn't popular either.

Changed a bit in UT2004, now everyone's doing standard DM, or what's left of UT2004. I assume everyone went back to UT99 or headed to UT3.

Hey, are there any story-driven .wads for DooM 1/2?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Also, are you guys talking about the DB2 guide I uploaded a while back? I wanted to add some things to it but never did. Would have liked to make it cover more advanced topics. I wrote it while I was at work and is saved on my work computer.

Yeah, that's the one. I'm not writing one, I'm just editing the grammar and organization etc of your guide to make it ~pretty~. Also it's an excuse to brush up on my LaTeX. I actually have no experience making Doom maps or using Doom Builder 2 :blush:

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

JackMackerel posted:

Changed a bit in UT2004, now everyone's doing standard DM, or what's left of UT2004. I assume everyone went back to UT99 or headed to UT3.

You might like Action Doom 2. While gameplay is different (you mostly punch people), story plays an important part, and you have multiple endings (Good and Bad ones).

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, that's the one. I'm not writing one, I'm just editing the grammar and organization etc of your guide to make it ~pretty~. Also it's an excuse to brush up on my LaTeX. I actually have no experience making Doom maps or using Doom Builder 2 :blush:

I encourage anyone to spruce it up or make recommendations. I just wanted to make a readily available 'idiots' guide from what I learned using DB2 and SLADE. The last level I was working on was not so much a level but seeing how far I could take the scripting language.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

JackMackerel posted:

Unloved. Probably my favorite DooM wad. It's a horror themed wad with tons of new textures and music.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

an_mutt posted:

I don't recall it being updated or anything but I'd love it if you touched up what you already have. I started mapping after reading the original tutorial and I'm wondering if there are any other things I've missed.

Anyway, after the shitpile that was checkpoint.wad I've started on something that's hopefully a little more fun and interesting to look at. It's based in a research lab located besides a volcano!

That looks pretty cool so far. What about having part of the base built into the volcano as opposed to just on the edge of it? Maybe have some machinery-looking stuff in it like it's pulling energy from the volcano (kinda like the Magmoor Caverns section of Metroid Prime).

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

A new version of DarkXL was released a few days back. I've not tried it yet, but it sounds like Dark Forces is near-100% supported, and Daggerfall is making good progress.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Wow, I thought this was abandoned a while back! Time to replay DF I guess :v:

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Update: my volcano map is looking less like a tech base besides a volcano and more like a bizarre hell map:

Does anybody know of a place where I can find some custom skies? I'm looking to patch one in, as obviously a big brown sky sort of upsets the predominantly red/white/grey colour theme I'm going for.

At the very least, I've found some pretty awesome music for this thing. Totally getting sick of "Running From Evil" right about now.

Encryptic posted:

That looks pretty cool so far. What about having part of the base built into the volcano as opposed to just on the edge of it? Maybe have some machinery-looking stuff in it like it's pulling energy from the volcano (kinda like the Magmoor Caverns section of Metroid Prime).
I've got one room left to basically build and decorate, so I'm thinking of having something like this for that room's design. I'll check out some videos of Magmoor Caverns to see if I can find any inspiration. :)

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

an_mutt posted:

At the very least, I've found some pretty awesome music for this thing.

Jesus, that takes me back. Of all the places that song could turn back up for me, as the background music for a Doom level was not the one I'd expected.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

You are playing it wrong. You're using Brutal Doom.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Tiger Schwert posted:

Nah bro that's just Doom 2

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Tiger Schwert posted:

God not this same poo poo again.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiger Schwert posted:

I, too, tell people how they should and shouldn't play singleplayer games.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Tiger Schwert posted:

Oh, cool, another three page derail is about to start. Thanks, we all needed to hear you bitch about how you hate Brutal Doom some more!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Tiger Schwert posted:

Positively adorable.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
drat, I was hoping something cool happened to Skulltag. I stopped playing ST when I switched to ubuntu linux because it ran like poo poo. Any news on the current iteration of ST? I wish they would just merge with gzdoom or something.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dukka posted:

God not this same poo poo again.

Well it's true. Doom 2 was not designed around the Brutal Doom additions so the play balance is going to be off of what it should be.

All you Brutal Doom people need to stop crying every time someone says something about that fact.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Tiger Schwert posted:

Thanks, tiger schwert, for again contributing nothing to this thread beyond vocalizing your disdain for brutal doom.

We need more souls for the GOONWAD. You should contribute as penance.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

Well it's true. Doom 2 was not designed around the Brutal Doom additions so the play balance is going to be off of what it should be.

All you Brutal Doom people need to stop crying every time someone says something about that fact.

Except that the issues he mentions are a problem even without Brutal Doom.

Also - and this is what people are complaining about - Tiger Schwert cannot loving shut up about how terrible Brutal Doom is, how much he hates it, and how anyone using it is playing Doom wrong, no matter how much we wish he would, to the point that you basically can't mention Brutal Doom in the thread without setting him off.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ToxicFrog posted:

Except that the issues he mentions are a problem even without Brutal Doom.

I didn't say Doom 2 was well balanced. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Install Gentoo posted:

I didn't say Doom 2 was well balanced. :v:

He just needs to turn the difficulty down. Doom 2 is a pain in the rear end in Brutal Doom on UV, but playing it at a lower difficulty with Brutal Doom was still a lot more fun for me than playing vanilla.