Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

What amazing features do you want to see added to OS X?

The ability to cut a file Windows style :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

ZFS is really all that I can think of.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Just checked out MBP:TNG. The retina display is awesome, but I don't know if it's awesome enough to make up for how big the 15" still is for someone who's never had something bigger than a 13" laptop.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Bob Morales posted:

Press delete to delete a file.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Just checked out MBP:TNG. The retina display is awesome, but I don't know if it's awesome enough to make up for how big the 15" still is for someone who's never had something bigger than a 13" laptop.

I've been using a X220 at work...I'm beginning to think my 15" MBP is too big. But resolutions at 13" suck, and I don't want to give up the OS X trackpad to go PC. Gonna just make my own laptop :colbert:

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

movax posted:

The ability to cut a file Windows style :smug:

Copy, then command-option-v to "move". This accomplishes the same higher-level goal without causing the item to disappear from its original location before the second step is performed.

jwoven posted:

Press delete to delete a file.

Command-delete moves an item to the trash.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

movax posted:

I've been using a X220 at work...I'm beginning to think my 15" MBP is too big. But resolutions at 13" suck, and I don't want to give up the OS X trackpad to go PC. Gonna just make my own laptop :colbert:

The 13" Air's display was almost as sharp and felt like picking up an iPad. I think that's what I'm going to do.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mikey-San posted:

Copy, then command-option-v to "move". This accomplishes the same higher-level goal without causing the item to disappear from its original location before the second step is performed.

Command-delete moves an item to the trash.

Well hey, I learned something, thanks! :)

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Generally speaking, does Apple hardware still hold its value pretty well? Every iPhone and iPad I've sold before their next-gen announcements have netted me a majority of my cash back.

I'm trying to justify a rMBP for $2200 over an Air in a few weeks. It would be a lot easier if come upgrade time next year, the drop in resale value wouldn't hit too hard.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

So I just found a MacBook Pro in the middle of the street when I was riding home from work today. Rode by it and was like "Is that what I think it is?!" turned around and picked it up. Sure enough, MacBook Pro A1286 Unibody.

An SUV ran the corner of it over before I could pick it up, the screen is completely hosed. However it was still on when I opened it, it powers up and makes noise, keyboard lights up and I'm guessing the backlight is still functional.

There doesn't seem to be any sort of video out on this thing, wish I could poke around inside.

It seems like it would be worth it to repair, and what all parts would I need? LCD of course, but is the glass a separate piece? Do I have to replace the whole top lid?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is anyone else with 13" Air from last year having issues with the trackpad? Mine is loving up and not registering properly. Is this something I'll just have to take it in for? It's getting to the point where it takes me 5 minute just to switch tabs, because I have to click until it stops acting like I'm holding it down.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.
There is video out, it's mini Displayport. Grab a mini displayport->whatever cable here, and see what comes out the other end.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246#1024606

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

TheDon01 posted:

So I just found a MacBook Pro in the middle of the street when I was riding home from work today. Rode by it and was like "Is that what I think it is?!" turned around and picked it up. Sure enough, MacBook Pro A1286 Unibody.

It's probably stolen or lost. If you have a mac already and have the display adapters, get an external display on there and figure out who's it is. Otherwise turn it in.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

TheDon01 posted:

An SUV ran the corner of it over before I could pick it up, the screen is completely hosed. However it was still on when I opened it, it powers up and makes noise, keyboard lights up and I'm guessing the backlight is still functional.

There doesn't seem to be any sort of video out on this thing, wish I could poke around inside.

It seems like it would be worth it to repair, and what all parts would I need? LCD of course, but is the glass a separate piece? Do I have to replace the whole top lid?

I'd try to find the owner, they must be pretty :smith: right now.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I don't own any Mac computers (just Ipods and whatnot) so I don't have any of the corresponding hardware for it, don't even have a power cable. Going to see if I can find a video cable here in town and see if I can get some display hooked up and hopefully find out who this thing belongs to.

Will check craigslist and other local postings and contact the police and put in a report, but I doubt I'll be able to get anywhere without getting inside this.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

My only major urk is copy+merge in finder it isn't that difficult

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I'm not sure I want another 15" laptop (I had an iPad for a while and it spoiled me a little), but there's so much going for the rMBP:

- The screen looks amazing. Even ignoring the resolution, the viewing angles/contrast/etc. are just so good. Made the MBA screens a table over look underwhelming at best.
- It's so thin and light. Feels lighter that it is, I think, because the weight is spread out so evenly over such a (comparatively) large area.

My biggest fear is battery life, and I feel like that'll be the biggest improvement (that and a better graphics card) when they inevitably update it. That's also what worries me about the rumored 13-inch rMBP model. There's a lot less space in a 13-inch chassis for battery. They could get rid of dedicated graphics to try and compensate, but could integrated graphics handle a 13-inch 2560x1600 display (as well as external displays)? And would that be permissible under the "Pro" category?

My ideal computer is probably that mythical 13-inch model, hopefully at somewhere around 3.5 lbs, but I fear I might have to spring for the 15-inch that's available now. It just seems so nice.

EDIT: All of that said, would love to hear any anecdotal evidence about battery life from current owners.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

grahm posted:

My biggest fear is battery life, and I feel like that'll be the biggest improvement (that and a better graphics card) when they inevitably update it. That's also what worries me about the rumored 13-inch rMBP model. There's a lot less space in a 13-inch chassis for battery. They could get rid of dedicated graphics to try and compensate, but could integrated graphics handle a 13-inch 2560x1600 display (as well as external displays)? And would that be permissible under the "Pro" category?

The 13-inch pro already doesn't have discrete graphics; it never has. Eliminating the optical drive and platter hard drive should increase the space, and the smaller physical screen size would mean less battery. Since the HD 3000 of the last generation could run two Thunderbolt Displays (although the internal had to shut off,) the HD 4000 should be able to handle a retina 13-inch screen.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

TheDon01 posted:

The video out is a mini displayport. If you have a monitor with displayport (like a Dell U2311h), you can use that.

You could also take off the bottom cover to get to the HDD, hook it up to a PC, and use a program like Macdrive to read the data.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Argh, finally decided to cancel my MBPR in favour of a 13" Air and it's just ticked over to Preparing for Shipment.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Do any retailers sell BTO MBAs tax free? Only save me like $100 vs student discount on a 13" Air + 8GB but still...

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Can someone with a RMBP test this resolution chaning app?

http://wineskin.doh123.com/tiki-view_blog_post.php?postId=51

Will it do 1440x900 without HiDPI?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Oh, I guess that is pretty good. Tragically, Crusader Kings II doesn't seem to run properly on the Air with OS X drivers, so maybe I could dual boot with a fast external drive.
If you mean to install Windows externally, it still can't last I checked.

TheDon01 posted:

I don't own any Mac computers (just Ipods and whatnot) so I don't have any of the corresponding hardware for it, don't even have a power cable. Going to see if I can find a video cable here in town and see if I can get some display hooked up and hopefully find out who this thing belongs to.

Will check craigslist and other local postings and contact the police and put in a report, but I doubt I'll be able to get anywhere without getting inside this.
For all you know it has one of those security apps and is taking pictures of you right now (or tracking you with Find My Mac), hook it up to the internet and you'll have cops at your door soon enough :tinfoil:

BlackMK4 posted:

Do any retailers sell BTO MBAs tax free? Only save me like $100 vs student discount on a 13" Air + 8GB but still...
I remember looking for some when I bought a Mac mini last year. I think Small Dog did BTO with a deposit, although tax or not will depend on what state you're in. B&H didn't do BTO, but had a bunch of non standard configurations. MacMall might do it too, I forget, AppleInsider has some seller list with a few others like them (smaller online specialty computer/Mac shops).

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

TheDon01 posted:

Holy poo poo, that's tragic.

I'd hook it up to an external display and try to figure out who it belongs to...

Sebb
Aug 8, 2007
kinda like the way you're breathing
kinda like the way you keep looking away
The battery on my mid-2009 MBP just started throwing up a service battery warning. I have less than a week left of AppleCare, and it's covered for a free replacement.

<3 u apple.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

TheDon01 posted:

So I just found a MacBook Pro in the middle of the street when

If you want to get at the data I'm betting the most likely thing you'll have without spending money is an external hard drive. Pop the drive in that enclosure, connect via USB or whatever, use HFS Explorer or some free option to mount the Mac drive, and check out the user's dir for user names. There should be a .plist file in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration that should say "JOEY NICKELNUTZ'S MACBOOK PRO" or something similar. There's your answer. I think the easiest option without opening up the laptop would be to get someone else with a Mac to hook up a FW800 cable and hold "t" while booting it to turn the borked laptop into an external hard drive a la Target Disk Mode. Same diff as an external hard drive but may cut out some software middlemen.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Further along in the Sandy Bridge experiment, and I've noticed that using gfxCardStatus to force Integrated Intel video gives a huge boost in battery life and a reduction in heat. The Anandtech review did indicate that the discrete video controller would kick in and stay on permanently once any number of key applications were triggered, including Flash. So once the Flash plugin is loaded through any instance of Chrome, the Radeon chip takes over until whatever process loaded the trigger exits.

The remaining runtime in the batter monitor is literally doubled while enforcing Intel HD graphics: 3.5 vs 7hr.

About the OS X bash: my main gripes seem to be with Finder, although I'll take a look at PathFinder to see if those issues can be resolved through 3rd party software. Basic stuff like cut/paste really should be there though. Also, it would be nice to have a real address textfield, such that I could punch in something like '~' (I know about CMD-SHIFT-G). Nautilus has this feature, and it's very handy.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Sebb posted:

The battery on my mid-2009 MBP just started throwing up a service battery warning. I have less than a week left of AppleCare, and it's covered for a free replacement.

<3 u apple.

Your battery is covered if it's bad but not if it's consumed FYI.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Anyone seen the thunderbolt-FireWire adapter in store anywhere?

It was announced side by side with the GbE adapter and that's been in stock everywhere already.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

DaNzA posted:

Anyone seen the thunderbolt-FireWire adapter in store anywhere?

It was announced side by side with the GbE adapter and that's been in stock everywhere already.

Apple's website says the FW adapter is coming out in July.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

krooj posted:

Basic stuff like cut/paste really should be there though. Also, it would be nice to have a real address textfield, such that I could punch in something like '~' (I know about CMD-SHIFT-G).

You can jump to the home folder (~) quickly by hitting command-shift-H.
Check out 'Show Path Bar' in the View menu, which lets you double click on parts of your current path to jump up to them.
You can cut and paste files with command-C and command-option-V.

Not sure what the difference is between cmd-shift-G and what you want. You can use ~ in cmd-shift-G... Is it just that you want it integrated into the finder window?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Apple's website says the FW adapter is coming out in July.

Ah I missed that, thanks :)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I'm getting lackluster transfer speeds from an external drive.

G4 MDD (without FW800)
Lacie USB2+FW800 combo card using built in OS X drivers
Lacie 2.5" FW800 1TB drive formatted NTFS with some ~50GB files
Using FW800 interface

Getting around 30MB/s using rsync, cp and finder. I know this exact same drive is capable of ~70MB/s on other machines. The FW800 interface isn't bottlenecked. The PCI interface isn't. What could it be?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

For those of you who run bootcamp, how much space do both OS'es take up after everything is said and done? For sure I'd have MS office installed as well, I'm trying to figure out if the 256 SSD is enough for me.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

japtor posted:

If you mean to install Windows externally, it still can't last I checked.

Oh, whoops. And 128GB is pretty small for two OS partitions. Oh well, guess I'll have to use my computer for something useful.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

OWC's blog is down but that's their picture

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Lyer posted:

For those of you who run bootcamp, how much space do both OS'es take up after everything is said and done? For sure I'd have MS office installed as well, I'm trying to figure out if the 256 SSD is enough for me.

I think the way I have it split is 40GB Windows 7 /82GB OSX Lion on my stock 2011 13" MBA, and I find that works pretty well as I only use Windows for work (occasionally) and certain Windows-only Steam games. Then again, I also have one of those super-tiny 32GB USB flash drives (where the USB connector is twice as long as the part that sticks out from the Air), and a 1TB external drive for media backup, so there's that to consider as well.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Oh, whoops. And 128GB is pretty small for two OS partitions. Oh well, guess I'll have to use my computer for something useful.
Kind of ties in with the other posts above about Windows, but it's semi doable if you have external storage. I think 20GB (maybe 30?) is about the minimum you can get away with, with 40 being ok. Then you can put games and whatever on external storage like the guy above.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

They don't stock Airs with BTO options at the Apple Store, do they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

They don't stock Airs with BTO options at the Apple Store, do they?
Depends on what you're BTOing. In my experience, Apple tends to have 3 models of most of their computers in-store: the default low-end SKU, the default high-end SKU, and a maxed-out BTO SKU for the rich folks who walk in and just say they want one with every upgrade.