Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I blew up someone's asteroid miner, which caused all the stuff to spill out into space and screw up starship scanners. Aphtonites' response upon discovering this:

[corenet] Aphteroid says, "oh my GOD"

I don't really TRY to grief him but I just have good timing I guess :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Holy poo poo it's like an EVEmud. I love it.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I played Wayfar before (a couple of months ago) and liked the concept but was holding off until the systems were a bit more developed. How's it going now? Specifically, I remember that some of the space combat stuff just plain didn't work.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

For Wayfar you have to request a character. Are they letting just anyone in?

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Yes, it's just a way to tie your character to an email you can easily access. It just automatically mails you a random password to log in with and tells you to change it when you play.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Are there any MUDS with a strong goon presence?

I played Realms of Despair for years without really getting anywhere, it's a really old MUD (Was where SMAUG was originally coded) and after you hit the level cap there really isn't anything you could do by yourself and it was difficult to get into a decent guild or order.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
One of the owners of Legends of the Jedi is a goon and there's 3 or 4 goons that play but none of us hang out with eachother.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Hows Wayfar work with Cmud?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I made the mistake of taking Ranger as my first background in Wayfar thinking it'd be an easy 100 kills to learn the ropes before rerolling. They really need to increase the spawn rate on creatures.

Also, I like the fact that building a sector center gives naming rights to its sector.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Unguided posted:

I made the mistake of taking Ranger as my first background in Wayfar thinking it'd be an easy 100 kills to learn the ropes before rerolling. They really need to increase the spawn rate on creatures.

Also, I like the fact that building a sector center gives naming rights to its sector.

'Sup, Ranger buddy. Also, creatures your robots get the deathblow on while you're fighting them don't count towards the background (nor skills and money).

Combat is a bit slow-paced for me. The cleaverbeasts and I both run out of stamina, so I harvest fiber and make bandages mid-combat while my pools refresh to useful levels.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FordPRefectLL posted:

One of the owners of Legends of the Jedi is a goon and there's 3 or 4 goons that play but none of us hang out with eachother.

I went there and started creating a character, but suddenly got disconnected during char creation and now it says connection refused. So I guess I got banned during char creation or something? vOv

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Nah, the MUD's been having some stability problems in that last week and we've had to rollback a couple times. It's just been crashing a lot. It should be stable for today.

EDIT: Just kidding, no it isn't.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 24, 2012

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This is from about a week ago.

Aphteroid is pretty fuckin dumb you guys :pwn:

44 on *comedy (#104047) // Thu Jun 21 17:17:05 2012 CDT
He blew it up. // From: Mason
Category | Status // Unassigned
Joke | Submitted // +6/ 0 votes

[corenet] Aphteroid says, "oh gently caress"
[corenet] Aphteroid says, "no no no"
[corenet] Corepadre exclaims, "uhm!"
[corenet] martinuzz asks, "?"
[corenet] Dibolcrif says, "what"
[corenet] Dibolcrif says, "what have you done"
[corenet] Aphteroid says, "i think i just blew 17-egret up by accident"
[corenet] Adelheid says, "..."
[corenet] martinuzz says, "o_O"
[corenet] Dibolcrif says, "buy polybuis is still there"
[corenet] Adelheid says, "Welp. Glad I wasnt standing there."
[corenet] Corepadre says, "it looks worse than that"
[corenet] martinuzz says, "well, I needed to get rid of all my pre-reroll
buildings there anyway =P"
[corenet] Corepadre says, "quickly tell me da exact commands you entered here"
[corenet] Aphteroid says, "uh"
[corenet] Aphteroid says, "blowing up all non-fertile kids of planet i think"
[corenet] Aphteroid says, "i missed 'chat' behind it"
[corenet] Aphteroid explode()
[corenet] Corepadre says, "oh god"
[corenet] Aphteroid says, "what have i done"
[corenet] Dibolcrif says, "uh oh"
[corenet] Corepadre says, "uhmmmm uhmmm"
[corenet] Corepadre says, "oh god see you're deletin my world stuff things
too"

Corepadre shouts, "PREPARE FOR REBOOT"

[corenet] martinuzz says, "gods no"
[corenet] Mason says, "O,o"
[corenet] Aphteroid says, "gently caress"
[corenet] Adelheid will just hide out in space until planets stop exploding
[corenet] Aphteroid says, "oh god i need sleep"
*** Shutting down: shutdown signal received ***
*** Shutting down: server panic ***

> Dibolcrif [corenet] Corepadre says, 'so apht was gonna chat
Jun 21 17:22 that as a joke... but forgot the 'chat' part'
> Gilgamesh you crazy bastards you really did it!!
Jun 21 19:48

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
66 on *comedy (#104047) // Wed Jul 4 17:14:36 2012 CDT
banaron // From: popbob
Category | Status // Unassigned
Jape | Submitted // 0/ 0 votes

[chatnet] Pellumb asks, "do you spend your disabilty/family's money on hate
dude?"
Zenith terrorist fist-bumps you.
[chatnet] Morgan_Le_Fay says, "it's my money"
Death says, "Someone relay what I say to chatnet"
[chatnet] Morgan_Le_Fay says, "I spend it on weed"
Death says, "hey everyone, "
chat that the government gives you
[chatnet] Pellumb says, "that the government gives you"
Death says, "8===D"
Death nods.
From the swinging doors, you hear a loud, bone-chilling wail.
Tesla says, "Nah, that's pretty 90's."
[chatnet] Morgan_Le_Fay says, "at least i'm not a wage slave"
[chatnet] Morgan_Le_Fay says, "gently caress capitalism"
[chatnet] Kytheren says, "Oh you are just the worst kind of person Murr!~"
[chatnet] Morgan_Le_Fay says, "The government and other corporate entities
slaughter millions"
chat hahahahah you just admitted to spending welfare money on weed
[chatnet] Pellumb says, "hahahahah you just admitted to spending welfare money
on weed"
From your wristpad: Mada pages, 'you are welcome to play but get on a real ip
thanks'
[chatnet] Zenith says, "gunna spend dis welfare on text"
*** Disconnected ***

> popbob changed type: Jape
Jul 4 2012

:psypop:

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I like the Mada page. Yeah, totally not connected to you making GBS threads on Benaron.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not popbob, he posted that on Wayfar's *com.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

I know some of the earlier posts mentioned Armageddon MUD. I just recently joined and was wondering if anybody else played on there?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I do, feel free to PM or IM me if you need some help getting started or anything.

Parselmouth
Feb 4, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I do too. Don't be a retard and try to make some ooc group to break the rules and take over the game like Jenners did!

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl
My mud's started rolling out MSDP support for custom mushclient GUIs ala Realms of Despair, etc. I'm curious if anyone here has any experience with it. Ideas, unique ways to implement, creative interfaces, things like that.

Has anyone seen it implemented with a web-based client? I feel like that + a facebook app would be a good way to introduce mudding to new clientele.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

I still consider myself an Armageddon player, even though I haven't actually logged onto my character for a month or so given how inhumane my work schedule's been lately.

It gets a lot of poo poo, sometimes for legit reasons, but it's a drat fine game when you get it during the good times.

Arson
Dec 9, 2003

SPF 45 a day keeps the oncologist away.
I have decided to give Wayfar 1444 a try. Historically, MUDs are one of those things I wish I could get into, and try, but can rarely bring myself to do so. I've tried numerous MUDs over the years without much success.

I'm an MMO gamer who has seen all there is to see and is desperately trying to find something to sate the desire for a sandbox where I can own my own land and run my own poo poo. I played Wayfar for several hours last night and, even though I still struggle with taking text and converting into images in my head for a game, I'm enjoying it so far. Crafting, housing, etc, these aren't things I'm used to hearing about in a MUD. I'm aware things have changed over the years, but in any case...I'm excited to be excited about a game and look forward to seeing where this might lead.

fake edit: why have I never considered treating MUDs like a book? You read text and create your own image in your mind. :smith:

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Arson posted:

fake edit: why have I never considered treating MUDs like a book? You read text and create your own image in your mind. :smith:
Given that their origins lie in text adventure games (which are also "like a book") . . . no idea :P

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Leaving my mark here, a 20 day resurrection. Does the old Dragonrealms IRC crew still exist? Fond memories of playing a game in 2006-2007, which at this point is so down to the hardened survivors the mean level is 80+ (unheard of) and they're still charging $15/mo

dephile
Aug 2, 2002

I MADE A VERY ACCURATE STONEHENGE OUT OF BOOGERS AND NO ONE CARED

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Are there any MUDS with a strong goon presence?

I played Realms of Despair for years without really getting anywhere, it's a really old MUD (Was where SMAUG was originally coded) and after you hit the level cap there really isn't anything you could do by yourself and it was difficult to get into a decent guild or order.

I played RoD for years and then made the mistake of taking a break from the game without letting anyone in my order (Inconnu) know to keep logging my characters on to keep them from auto-deleting. That's a pretty good way to quit playing.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Anyone here from The True Source or The Weave?

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Do you guys ever have text sex in the muds?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I tried once when I was younger -- I was playing on some LoW-based MUD that had sex emotes. It actually ended up being pretty boring and I turned to PK instead.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I can't tell from your post, but I hope you meant that you PK'd your sexting partner mid-coitus.

A remember a player on some MUD (maybe Gemstone in the AOL days) luring people into MUDsex in which he would start to strip, dropping pieces of useless equipment/clothing onto the ground. When the other, better equipped player had done the same, it was GET ALL, and--if he had a good chance--KILL [PLAYER] now that they were unequipped.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Above Our Own posted:

Do you guys ever have text sex in the muds?

Does raping orphans in HellMOO count?

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Anyone know any good sci-fi/futuristic MUDs out there?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Well, even though I think all the admins are terrible, HellMOO as a game, I mean the engine, is the best out there. You won't really find any other MUD that is as playable/fun. Unfortunately, like I said, admins are terrible, most players are terrible, and they changed a lot of stuff that has made the game grindy as gently caress and much less fun than it used to be, and there's really not enough content to keep you entertained longer than a few months.
However, if you haven't played it, I strongly recommend it.

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!
Coming soon to an internet near you: HellMOO III.
http://pastebin.com/B8G00qVf

Coming soon to wayfar: ruby markov bot

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Welcome to the new Hellmoo, same as the old one.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I like how you both look like assholes for different reasons.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If only people could make text games and not hate eachother for it :allears:

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!
aphtonites:

[prognet] CheechLizard says, "dubstep robots should upload their fites to a montage database"
The dubstep robot (ic-75263) doesn't like the look of you at all!
The dubstep robot (xb-51728) doesn't like the look of you at all!
The dubstep robot (ze-91853) doesn't like the look of you at all!
[prognet] Aphteroid says, "360 nobones quickspook"
[prognet] Hawgpadre says, "wubuwbubuwub [upload compleet]"
The dubstep robot (xb-51728) WUBWUBWUBwwwbbbbbBBBBWOBBLEbbbbwbwbwbWOBBLEwobbleWWUB CheechLizard holy poo poo
The dubstep robot (ze-91853) WUBWUBWUBwwwbbbbbBBBBWOBBLEbbbbwbwbwbWOBBLEwobbleWWUB CheechLizard holy poo poo
WOBBLewbbwbwbwbwbWWUBBOBLBLEWBUBUBLEWUBLBLEwobble CheechLizard!!!!!
[DISRUPTION DAMAGE TAKEN!]: Health: [||||||||||||||||||||] -28 (dubstep robot (xb-51728))
[DISRUPTION DAMAGE TAKEN!]: Health: [||||||||||||||||||||] -30 (dubstep robot (ze-91853))
The dubstep robot (ic-75263) WUBWUBWUBwwwbbbbbBBBBWOBBLEbbbbwbwbwbWOBBLEwobbleWWUB CheechLizard holy poo poo
[DISRUPTION DAMAGE TAKEN!]: Health: [||||||||||||||||||||] -24 (dubstep robot (ic-75263))

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Aphtonites inhaling paint thinner fumes again?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Haephastus posted:

Is Aphtonites inhaling paint thinner fumes again?

Hah, you think he ever stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!
http://pastebin.com/YrNUPA5b
:psyduck:

• Locked thread