Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Aeka 2.0 posted:

This guy makes it look fun and easy. What a jerk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpKsuP0NlzI

XTimmy posted:

He has access to around $10 000k worth of Kinos, so frankly he should spend everyday with a smile a mile wide plastered to his face.

I can't watch Youtube at work, but I'm guess you're talking about Peter Hurley?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Yeah it's Peter. I learned a lot watching that video surprisingly. I do find that photographing people is part the actual subject, and part the photographer actually being charismatic enough to bring out the best in them.

Often times the subject can have a very awkward expression because the direction is poor and they have no idea what they should be doing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

somnambulist posted:

I do find that photographing people is part the actual subject, and part the photographer actually being charismatic enough to bring out the best in them.

That's really his key. He works with great talent because of his name and strong brand, and he is great at bringing out whatever needs to come out in the models. Cool dude, his DVD set is worth a watch if you want to learn a lot of good tricks for working with your subject.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm about halfway through the Onelight Workshop right now and I'm really surprised with how much I'm learning about posing models. Great stuff.

One thing though - will growing a long scraggly goatee help my photography?

Rambowjo
May 27, 2008

:cop: let it go dude, hail satan

Potrait I did of my brother. He's an interesting subject to me, because he dislikes getting his picture taken, which makes him challenging. I belong to the camp of people who don't get good shots consistently, but rather on a luck basis. I'm not even sure if this is a good photo, but I really like it.

The picture is sort of interesting, because I actually shot it with the built-in flash on my 1000D, but I fitted a homebuilt reflector thingy on there.

One thing I find challenging when working with portraits in post processing, is to not make people's eyes all black. Is there some brilliant technique, or should I just be careful with the levels? In this particular one I actually copied his eyes from a layer where they were more visible and put them on top.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

somnambulist posted:

Yeah it's Peter. I learned a lot watching that video surprisingly. I do find that photographing people is part the actual subject, and part the photographer actually being charismatic enough to bring out the best in them.

Often times the subject can have a very awkward expression because the direction is poor and they have no idea what they should be doing.

Oh absolutely, without a doubt. Technical competency and even knowing the best way to pose a model will only get you something that is technically correct. Your subject needs to either have a real expression or be *extremely* good at acting, otherwise something will look off.

A lot of people are shy or afraid of looking silly, and a lot of photographers are so wrapped up with staring into their LCD screen that they create a disconnect. If there's no communication, then you're just a camera operator.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Rambowjo posted:

Potrait I did of my brother. He's an interesting subject to me, because he dislikes getting his picture taken, which makes him challenging. I belong to the camp of people who don't get good shots consistently, but rather on a luck basis. I'm not even sure if this is a good photo, but I really like it.

The picture is sort of interesting, because I actually shot it with the built-in flash on my 1000D, but I fitted a homebuilt reflector thingy on there.

One thing I find challenging when working with portraits in post processing, is to not make people's eyes all black. Is there some brilliant technique, or should I just be careful with the levels? In this particular one I actually copied his eyes from a layer where they were more visible and put them on top.

I think the biggest issue affecting this is that he's not engaging the camera in any way. There's no eye contact, no way for him to connect with the viewer. It goes along with this discussion about engaging your subject. Most people hate having their picture taken, and you need to make them feel comfortable enough to bring out their personality.

Also related, I hate having my own picture taken and it drives me nuts that people expect me to be a good subject just because I take portraits of others. Makes me realize just how important communicating with your subject is.

Rambowjo
May 27, 2008

CarrotFlowers posted:

I think the biggest issue affecting this is that he's not engaging the camera in any way. There's no eye contact, no way for him to connect with the viewer. It goes along with this discussion about engaging your subject. Most people hate having their picture taken, and you need to make them feel comfortable enough to bring out their personality.

Also related, I hate having my own picture taken and it drives me nuts that people expect me to be a good subject just because I take portraits of others. Makes me realize just how important communicating with your subject is.

I think a lot of people are afraid of the lens. It's easier to look pretty by looking somewhere else, than looking at the lens, or at least looking engaging. He's smiling because I was joking around with him, but indeed the lack of eye contact is detrimental to the picture.

I like having my picture taken, if I know I can look good given the way the photo is taken. If I know the way the photo is taken is likely to make me look unappealing, it'll make me a little nervous, which in turn will definitely make me look unappealing. Oh the wonders of photology.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Rambowjo posted:

The background is really distracting and there's no context for it to make it part of the portrait. Portraits don't have to have seamless backgrounds, but the environment should reflect something about the person or at the very least, some context for the scene. I like his expression, but I don't like him looking down. It loses a lot.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
Super big derail but somnambulist commenting made me think about the floating project!

I was wondering, since the "floating" effect was made with two images, how do you like the subject if you use flash?

One picture without the subject with flash going off and one picture with the subject with flash going off as well? Or should I stick with natural light only?

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Bottom Liner posted:

Fun session with a friend, trying some various things.

IMG_1740 by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

laney 2 s by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

IMG_1943 by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

I really like the second one. Her expression in the first one is too much of an "I know the camera's there" face. A little bit tense for my liking. Also, the setting doesn't quite have that "magic" feel that the second one has. It's a great touch stopping down to a slow shutter speed and a large aperture to abstract her surroundings, and that is what adds that slight tone of magic or mystery to this shot. I'm a bit iffy about her arm closest to the camera, though - you can't really tell what's going on with it until you look more closely. I think it's an angles thing.

somnambulist posted:

Just as a small additional point to this: I'd like to add that charisma doesn't have to be this big, loud, chatchatchatchatchatchat sort of business that you see from guys like Peter Hurley, Dean Collins, Perou etc. I'm not saying they're not great at that side of it, as they obviously are. I'm saying that if you're not like that, or if you feel like an immense dick trying to force it like I do, it's not your only way to relax a subject and get charisma across.

You just have to be likable and do it on your own terms. If you start forcing that style of interaction you see from guys like that and it's not really you, it doesn't work.

Just a bit of an aside, really. If that IS you, or if you can be like that naturally, then definitely do it.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Gazmachine posted:

I really like the second one. Her expression in the first one is too much of an "I know the camera's there" face. A little bit tense for my liking. Also, the setting doesn't quite have that "magic" feel that the second one has. It's a great touch stopping down to a slow shutter speed and a large aperture to abstract her surroundings, and that is what adds that slight tone of magic or mystery to this shot. I'm a bit iffy about her arm closest to the camera, though - you can't really tell what's going on with it until you look more closely. I think it's an angles thing.

Just as a small additional point to this: I'd like to add that charisma doesn't have to be this big, loud, chatchatchatchatchatchat sort of business that you see from guys like Peter Hurley, Dean Collins, Perou etc. I'm not saying they're not great at that side of it, as they obviously are. I'm saying that if you're not like that, or if you feel like an immense dick trying to force it like I do, it's not your only way to relax a subject and get charisma across.

You just have to be likable and do it on your own terms. If you start forcing that style of interaction you see from guys like that and it's not really you, it doesn't work.

Just a bit of an aside, really. If that IS you, or if you can be like that naturally, then definitely do it.

I'd like to reiterate that because I definitely felt the pressure to be super bubbly and outgoing when I first started doing portraits, and that's not who I am at all. I eventually just fell into being myself because it was exhausting trying to be ridiculously chatty when I'm not, and people actually relaxed, to my surprise. It's very easy for people to pick up on your mood and they can tell when you're forcing it. Being natural will help a ton to relax your subjects. That being said, you still have to engage them, you can't just tell them to stand there and click away. Just don't have to be Jasmine star crazy.

But I felt really good after my first boudoir shot and my subject told me how relaxed and awesome she felt, even though she was super nervous to be basically naked in front of me.

However you can be natural, genuine and accommodating will help heaps with relaxing your subjects.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

CarrotFlowers posted:

I'd like to reiterate that because I definitely felt the pressure to be super bubbly and outgoing when I first started doing portraits, and that's not who I am at all. I eventually just fell into being myself because it was exhausting trying to be ridiculously chatty when I'm not, and people actually relaxed, to my surprise. It's very easy for people to pick up on your mood and they can tell when you're forcing it. Being natural will help a ton to relax your subjects. That being said, you still have to engage them, you can't just tell them to stand there and click away. Just don't have to be Jasmine star crazy.

But I felt really good after my first boudoir shot and my subject told me how relaxed and awesome she felt, even though she was super nervous to be basically naked in front of me.

However you can be natural, genuine and accommodating will help heaps with relaxing your subjects.

I have to agree with this. All in all just be who you are. If you're faking it it'll show and will just make everyone uncomfortable.

I don't chat much on my shoots but mostly in between shots (moving locations) but that's me, I'm chatty and can start talking about whatever.

I have a few lines to make people laugh to get a few "cute" shots and that usually seals the deal.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Don't follow the above advice if you're a sadist. Having to deal with the police every time you do a photoshoot is not constructive.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Hey - it worked for Terry Richardson.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

I want to put this one to the Dorkroom - this is from a long-term project I'm working on right now.

Any critique is fine if you don't feel like answering my specific question, but I would appreciate it if you could tell me what you think the story is here, going off the image and no context from me. That's the most important thing to me for this photo.

Any other critique is, as always, extremely welcome, though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Cool photo, but I just wanted to share that this is how it was coupled with the ad at the bottom of my iPhone app...

I chuckled for a while at that.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Gazmachine posted:

I want to put this one to the Dorkroom - this is from a long-term project I'm working on right now.

Any critique is fine if you don't feel like answering my specific question, but I would appreciate it if you could tell me what you think the story is here, going off the image and no context from me. That's the most important thing to me for this photo.

I'm gonna guess something to do with the creative process, with the spatters representing ideas coming and going in "spurts"? that's what i get from it.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Claire by Andrew Wong MPLS, on Flickr

This was the first time I put my new 85 1.8g on the D800 and really my first attempt at any portrait work.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Gazmachine posted:

No comment about the story, but I would try to clone out some of the more distracting elements (towel, wall fixtures) and maybe play around with the white balance. Something seems funny about the lighting too but I'm not the guy to talk to about that.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

whereismyshoe posted:

I'm gonna guess something to do with the creative process, with the spatters representing ideas coming and going in "spurts"? that's what i get from it.

OK. With absolutely no clues to go off, that's plenty close enough to make me happy :) so thanks

LargeHadron posted:

No comment about the story, but I would try to clone out some of the more distracting elements (towel, wall fixtures) and maybe play around with the white balance. Something seems funny about the lighting too but I'm not the guy to talk to about that.

Yeah, I've been a bit liberal with my processing here - will probably tone it down significantly in the final edit.

I'm at odds with whether I should clone out the wall fixtures, because this is one of a selection of photos taken over a year, many of them in that room, so if it were to not appear in one image, I'd probably have to remove it from all the images. Maybe that's not a good enough reason to leave it in, I dunno.

My other concern was, as this is documentary photography, I didn't want to start removing things that were in the shot at the time. Again, this could be a mistake - I don't suppose removing a cloth, for example, is going to ruin the "purity" of the image.

Thanks for the feedback, all.

Dick Danger
Oct 13, 2010

Gee Gee Baby Baby
This weekend I got to try my hand at some actual portraiture with actual models, for the first time! I had a lot of fun and learned a tonne, my mental checklist for shooting has quite a few more things on it now and I'm glad I'm finding more ways to improve.

Emma 2 by dick town, on Flickr

Emma 4 by dick town, on Flickr

Carrie 1 by dick town, on Flickr

IMG_6188 by dick town, on Flickr

Girls & Alice by dick town, on Flickr

What I found really hard - and I'm sure those more experienced than me know how to deal with it - was trying to overcome each girl's sort of quirks, like sometimes a smile would be a little too toothy and I'd have to try and work around it.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Dick Danger posted:

This weekend I got to try my hand at some actual portraiture with actual models, for the first time!

I'm not super experienced, but i feel like a lot of these would benefit from you being higher up than the models. a lot of them you're looking mostly up their nostrils, which isn't the most desirable angle.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Dick Danger posted:

This weekend I got to try my hand at some actual portraiture with actual models, for the first time! I had a lot of fun and learned a tonne, my mental checklist for shooting has quite a few more things on it now and I'm glad I'm finding more ways to improve.

Emma 2 by dick town, on Flickr

Am I crazy or is she wearing the exact same clothing as that girl turned backwards in the first photo you posted on these forums (a month ago maybe)? I like these two though, good simple but solid shots. I noticed you're getting much better at using your camera, nice job!

Dick Danger
Oct 13, 2010

Gee Gee Baby Baby

LargeHadron posted:

Am I crazy or is she wearing the exact same clothing as that girl turned backwards in the first photo you posted on these forums (a month ago maybe)? I like these two though, good simple but solid shots. I noticed you're getting much better at using your camera, nice job!
There's a huge community of girls in my city that wear these super poofy dresses everywhere. Usually I just shoot candid street shots of them during commutes, so it was fun to do proper shoot with some of the girls.
E: Just checked, they are different dresses. Same fashion/community though. Just between you and me the dresses all look the same anyway.

whereismyshoe posted:

I'm not super experienced, but i feel like a lot of these would benefit from you being higher up than the models. a lot of them you're looking mostly up their nostrils, which isn't the most desirable angle.
This is such a great point that I'm really wondering why I didn't take it into account in the first place. Thanks for the heads up.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Where do you live? Those are the weirdest outfits I've seen that weren't part of an organized shoot.

And yeah, I second the advice about being slightly higher than the girls, or at least at eye level for sure. It's generally a lot more flattering and seems a lot more natural when photographing women.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

isn't there an A/T thread about this? Like some Japanese thing where girls dress up in faux-period dresses.

here we go

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 24, 2012

Dick Danger
Oct 13, 2010

Gee Gee Baby Baby

Paragon8 posted:

isn't there an A/T thread about this? Like some Japanese thing where girls dress up in faux-period dresses.

here we go
Yeah, that's it. It's all about big poofy dresses and wearing things that look like food.

CarrotFlowers posted:

Where do you live? Those are the weirdest outfits I've seen that weren't part of an organized shoot.

And yeah, I second the advice about being slightly higher than the girls, or at least at eye level for sure. It's generally a lot more flattering and seems a lot more natural when photographing women.
I'm Australian, there's just a big scene for it here. I'm reasonably well-acquainted with most people involved and the girls love having their photos taken so it works out well. The only inherent difficulty of shooting these particular dresses (That I've run into) is I'm never sure where to crop them off if I'm not doing a full body shot. Like that one I posted further up, I didn't realise how odd it looks being cropped right at the bottom of the dress until I started processing it, but the prints are such a feature themselves that I kind of want to include a full view of the skirt.
As for the angle, should I be aiming to shoot from above as a default sort of thing, or is it more a matter of just not shooting from below?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I don't think any of the pictures are ruined by the angle to be honest.

Rambowjo
May 27, 2008

I think all of the shots are a little underexposed, but it could just be the product of natural light. I really like the shots anyhow, especially the one with the two girls sitting on the steps.

edit: or maybe it's not underexposure as much as it's simply the shadows being too strong, like the blacks.

edit2: I guess it's just the price you pay for shooting in natural light. I tried doing something in Photoshop, but I can't really get it to work.

Rambowjo fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 24, 2012

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
I think I recognize the designer, their stuff was at the recent Carpe Noctum fashion show, yes?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Multiple Choice Critique

This post processing looks:

A) Cool
B) Like poo poo
C) Meh

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
She's dead, Jim.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
yeah her skin is very, very grey. i want to say bring up your highlights a bit? it looks like they got crushed and are almost ..the opposite of blown out? in places

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

whereismyshoe posted:

yeah her skin is very, very grey. i want to say bring up your highlights a bit? it looks like they got crushed and are almost ..the opposite of blown out? in places

Yeah it feels like it should be highcontrast bleach-bypass-y but instead it's low contrast bleach-bypass-y

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Multiple Choice Critique

This post processing looks:

A) Cool
B) Like poo poo
C) Meh

try using a selective colour layer and knock down the cyans and up the magentas

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yep, that's the same muddy-highlight effect you get if you bump the Recovery slider up too high in LR3.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I tried this, I couldn't push it too far because of the initial image quality.

But yeah this is basically tweaking with selective colour and then adding a contrast bump.

It definitely looks processed but it has a bit more of a fashion vibe to it I think

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I think the way the whites of her eyes are gray rather than white really throws it off. No matter the processing on the rest of the image, I think that's the biggest reason she looks like a zombie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

CarrotFlowers posted:

I think the way the whites of her eyes are gray rather than white really throws it off. No matter the processing on the rest of the image, I think that's the biggest reason she looks like a zombie.

I just noticed that, you're right. Maybe try dodging in the eyes a bit?