Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Tab8715 posted:

Doesn't the device have an incredibly different type or vastly improved stylus? I thought that was one the major but unfortunately overlooked selling points.

The quality remains to be seen, but they did say there were two separate touch digitizers, one for fingers and a separate one for a stylus. We don't yet know if that will translate into a good writing experience or if it will suck like on iPads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.

Tab8715 posted:

Doesn't the device have an incredibly different type or vastly improved stylus? I thought that was one the major but unfortunately overlooked selling points.

The pen isn't an artificial finger that uses the conventional capacitive screen, so it's already different from most tablets on the market today. It's more like Lenovo's convertible tablets in that it has a touch digitizer for multitouch, and a separate pen digitizer for pen input, which would probably also allow for pressure sensitivity and eraser support.

The touch digitizer also apparently turns off when the pen is brought in close proximity to the screen so you don't have that issue either.

For me, I'm waiting to see if Microsoft used their touch response research in the Surface, which would be really great with the pen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOvQCPLkPt4

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Lediur posted:

The pen isn't an artificial finger that uses the conventional capacitive screen, so it's already different from most tablets on the market today. It's more like Lenovo's convertible tablets in that it has a touch digitizer for multitouch, and a separate pen digitizer for pen input, which would probably also allow for pressure sensitivity and eraser support.

The touch digitizer also apparently turns off when the pen is brought in close proximity to the screen so you don't have that issue either.

For me, I'm waiting to see if Microsoft used their touch response research in the Surface, which would be really great with the pen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOvQCPLkPt4

We already know it has eraser support. The guy demoing it during the press conference used the eraser on it and showed the two digitizers at work. I'm looking forward to the optically bonded screen. Hopefully it makes writing with the pen bearable, unlike any other tablet PC I've used.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Bioalchemist posted:

If XBMC ended up on WinRT, with decent performance, I could easily make that the only computer I'd own.

Hah, that would be very interesting. I'm sure it will happen too, since XBMC was unofficially ported to the iOS, and has since then become an official port too, I believe. I did a test run of it on my iPhone 4 a while back.

Not that I care about this, though, since I'll get the Pro, but that still is a nice though. Never bothered to put XBMC on my W500, though. I should at least put it on a flash drive or memory stick.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Lediur posted:

That video, while impressive, isn't actually using a screen to display the image. It's using a project over head to project the square.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Lediur posted:

For me, I'm waiting to see if Microsoft used their touch response research in the Surface, which would be really great with the pen:

If that's the video I'm thinking of, it's less "hey, guys, we eliminated input lag!" and more "hey, guys, look how much better things will be when we figure out how to eliminate input lag!".

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Has the magsafe-type charger been mentioned yet? Its probably the thing I am most looking forward to on this thing.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

kri kri posted:

Has the magsafe-type charger been mentioned yet? Its probably the thing I am most looking forward to on this thing.
There's a blurb about it here: http://www.slashgear.com/microsoft-surface-could-debut-magsafe-data-hybrid-hook-up-19234611/

A magnetic breakaway charger+data connection is pretty drat cool I must say.

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

That video, while impressive, isn't actually using a screen to display the image. It's using a project over head to project the square.

It does seem that it's using the surface (ha) as a touch screen, so any input lag reduced off that should be pretty substantial no matter the display method. Displays (at least computer monitors) nowadays have pretty quick input response and only a few ms of lag. Does anyone know what the biggest bottleneck for touchscreen input lag is?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm not sure what the context is in this video but it seemed to have frozen during the presentation. Whoops.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm not sure what the context is in this video but it seemed to have frozen during the presentation. Whoops.

Yea it did. But hey, beta software on prototype hardware.

One thing I really like about Microsoft presentations is how they spend part of it just nerding out and going into technical reasons why they did things. Just lets people know that they're still nerdy as all hell.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Lediur posted:

That was a user experience experiment, there is no technology in that video which would actually enable high performance touch input on a tablet device.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Lediur posted:

It does seem that it's using the surface (ha) as a touch screen, so any input lag reduced off that should be pretty substantial no matter the display method. Displays (at least computer monitors) nowadays have pretty quick input response and only a few ms of lag. Does anyone know what the biggest bottleneck for touchscreen input lag is?

I bet they used a camera detection technology, a la the old Surface (that is, the table sized touch interface). It used a projector to display and a camera to detect "touch".

It is very clear that they are not using a viable portable technology in that video, he even ends it with "in the next 10 years."

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Startacus posted:

That right there is reason enough that they should have waited on this announcement. Make drat well sure it won't crash on stage at your own event before showing it off, you know?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Startacus posted:

Demoing beta software live on stage is such a terrible PR move. I can guarantee that the crashing tablet is going to get the most traction on social media sites.

EDIT: Prime example, on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/vbmxz/microsofts_new_tab_surface_freezes_during_the/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

dooTrieux posted:

That right there is reason enough that they should have waited on this announcement. Make drat well sure it won't crash on stage at your own event before showing it off, you know?

Hmm, I don't know that it makes much of a difference...I mean it hardly got any play in the media, and if it did make a difference it may still of been worth it to preempt tablet stuff at Google I/O.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

Hmm, I don't know that it makes much of a difference...I mean it hardly got any play in the media, and if it did make a difference it may still of been worth it to preempt tablet stuff at Google I/O.

I really liked the Surface and I've planned on buying a Windows 8 Pro tablet for a while, but man, six months is a long time to wait for a device.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I really liked the Surface and I've planned on buying a Windows 8 Pro tablet for a while, but man, six months is a long time to wait for a device.

I agree, it's tough, but what are you saying with regards to MS? I mean are you saying you'd just not get it because they're making you wait?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

I agree, it's tough, but what are you saying with regards to MS? I mean are you saying you'd just not get it because they're making you wait?

Nah, it's just that if the device was close enough where after the announcement they had a link where you could pre-order it, and it was a month or two away, they probably could have some a million right here, but six months is a long time to keep the hype and momentum of a product launch up.

With Google I/O a week away, and the likely announcement of a Google Nexus tablet at ~$200, I'm probably going to buy that, since six months is a long time, and $200 is nothing really.

EDIT: Also, Windows 8 is coming out in October, mostly likely, which is only a 3 months away, so I was expecting to wait, and get a Windows 8 tablet then, but the Surface Pro won't be out until December at the earliest. That's a long time to sit on a purchase, especially when Asus has released some interesting products, and I'm sure that Lenovo has something forth coming as well.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 21, 2012

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Thermopyle posted:

Someone said it earlier in the thread but the reason Apple's product launches are so cool is because they have a big event and it ends with "ok it's available now go get it!"

Teasing poo poo half a year in advance is a good way to make everyone lose their excitement about the product by the time it finally comes out.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

Teasing poo poo half a year in advance is a good way to make everyone lose their excitement about the product by the time it finally comes out.
I don't think immediate availability is a necessity, but it should be timely. WebOS suffered dramatically for this. It had a strong showing at CES, and slowly lost traction over the course of several months before it finally came out.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I don't think immediate availability is a necessity, but it should be timely. WebOS suffered dramatically for this. It had a strong showing at CES, and slowly lost traction over the course of several months before it finally came out.

At the very least, firm dates are useful. It's my understanding the SDK isn't even out yet, which for launching a new platform seems like a bad idea.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

MrBond posted:

At the very least, firm dates are useful. It's my understanding the SDK isn't even out yet, which for launching a new platform seems like a bad idea.

The SDK has been out since last September?

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
Not only is the SDK out, there are dev devices available for whatever Windows On ARM is called this month. Microsoft is still pretty nice to major developers.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Syrinxx posted:

Someone said it earlier in the thread but the reason Apple's product launches are so cool is because they have a big event and it ends with "ok it's available now go get it!"

On the other hand, Apple's approach isn't good for getting developers on board quickly. Every time Apple rolls out a hardware feature in iOS that needs software-level support, it takes time for the market to react. Think about how few iPad-native apps there were when the iPad launched, how few retina-capable apps there were when the iPhone 4 launched, and so on. They can get away with it because iOS established itself before app stores ever existed and new iOS devices are carefully designed with backward compatibility in mind, but the same isn't true for WinRT. Right now, the WinRT ecosystem doesn't exist at all.

Microsoft is probably thinking a lot about Windows Phone 7, and how it slid into a "nobody makes any WP7 apps - nobody makes any money on WP7 apps - why would I spend any time or money developing for WP7, where nobody makes any money?" death spiral almost right out of the gate. On the other hand, if they can convince devs that this will be the next big platform, and offer development tools now, they can have some worthwhile apps other than Office available at launch.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Startacus posted:

We already know it has eraser support. The guy demoing it during the press conference used the eraser on it and showed the two digitizers at work. I'm looking forward to the optically bonded screen. Hopefully it makes writing with the pen bearable, unlike any other tablet PC I've used.

Whats the difference between a touch screen that is opitically bonded and one that isnt.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Tab8715 posted:

Whats the difference between a touch screen that is opitically bonded and one that isnt.

With an optically bonded display they actually use an adhesive to glue the glass panel to the display. This does a couple of things. A) It eliminates air gap between the glass and the display which prevents condensation building up between the two and also makes the glass and display much closer so you feel like you're righting directly on the display. Trying to write with a digital pen on a non-optically bonded display is a pain in the rear end because it feels like the pen is so far away from the display. B) It increases the strength and durability of the display.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

tk posted:

The SDK has been out since last September?

Argh - I thought I was in the WP8 thread :( You're right, win8 dev sdk has been reasonable.

I still dislike Microsoft's penchant for preannouncing things waaay in advance. Surface RT is presumably launching with RT but has no price nor hard specs. WP8 doesn't even have dates or an SDK really.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Space Gopher posted:

Microsoft is probably thinking a lot about Windows Phone 7, and how it slid into a "nobody makes any WP7 apps - nobody makes any money on WP7 apps - why would I spend any time or money developing for WP7, where nobody makes any money?" death spiral almost right out of the gate. On the other hand, if they can convince devs that this will be the next big platform, and offer development tools now, they can have some worthwhile apps other than Office available at launch.

I think this is exactly what's going on with the very early announcement. There have been other more transparent decisions like the (now retracted) restriction on VS Express to Metro-only development, presumably in order to streamline (or railroad, depending on your POV) all Windows/Phone development. By combining the desktop development model, they likely hope to directly leverage Windows 8 marketshare into their mobile phones.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/23147

Rumor: Microsoft Surface tablets to cost $599, $799

Seems a bit high for the ARM version, hopefully they can come down on the price. I would grab a Pro at that price though without a second thought.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

$599 is a good price point if you want to sell 0 tablets

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

If the x86 surface tab turns out to have good battery life, 799 may not be too bad a price point since it is a real PC that can be docked at home. It could be the first real desktop/mobile/handheld full-featured PC.

But that doesn't mean I plan on buying one. :/

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
$799 is a pretty awkward price point, considering the entry level Macbook Air is only $200 more.

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

Yarrrr! I be here to plunder the fun outta me workplace! Avast!

FREE DECAHEDRON!
I'd expect to pay about $800 or a bit more for the pro version (and have no complaints about it - I plan on buying one at launch if that's the case), but there's no way I'd pay over $500 for the RT version. I probably wouldn't pay more than $450.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

Turnquiet posted:

If the x86 surface tab turns out to have good battery life, 799 may not be too bad a price point since it is a real PC that can be docked at home. It could be the first real desktop/mobile/handheld full-featured PC.

But that doesn't mean I plan on buying one. :/
It does make sense, though. Killing two birds with one stone doesn't sound like a bad idea, and "$200 cheaper than an Air" is something that people might get sold by, instead of repelled by.

The RT one, though...the only way they'll be able to get away with that is if they market it as a tablet/laptop hybrid that can do roughly what people need to do with a laptop, though without the x86 compatibility. Having the built-in Office suite will help with that, but it's still a tricky sell unless Metro gets a shitton of productivity apps that leverage the keyboard thing.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Space Gopher posted:

Microsoft is probably thinking a lot about Windows Phone 7, and how it slid into a "nobody makes any WP7 apps - nobody makes any money on WP7 apps - why would I spend any time or money developing for WP7, where nobody makes any money?" death spiral almost right out of the gate.

Most developers feel the issue with monetizing WP7 is that Microsoft has no in-app purchase model. Smart phone users who are willing to pay premium prices for apps all got iPhones awhile ago. Android learned this pretty quick and Angry Birds debuted with ad-supported and eventually in-app purchase models.

The most successful developer showed this by posting his sales figures at http://www.occasionalgamer.com/ and showed that the only way to make serious money on WP7 is through an ad-supported model. I really hope MS launches WP8/Windows 8 with a good IAP system.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Stick100 posted:

Most developers feel the issue with monetizing WP7 is that Microsoft has no in-app purchase model. Smart phone users who are willing to pay premium prices for apps all got iPhones awhile ago. Android learned this pretty quick and Angry Birds debuted with ad-supported and eventually in-app purchase models.

The most successful developer showed this by posting his sales figures at http://www.occasionalgamer.com/ and showed that the only way to make serious money on WP7 is through an ad-supported model. I really hope MS launches WP8/Windows 8 with a good IAP system.

They mentioned IAP in the WP8 meeting a few days ago. It links to your phones walled account and bills directly.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

NoDamage posted:

$799 is a pretty awkward price point, considering the entry level Macbook Air is only $200 more.

Didn't they explicitly say they were shooting for Ultrabook type pricing on the pro model?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

NoDamage posted:

Getting something that is more featured and about the same specs for $200 is considered awkward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Getting something that is more featured and about the same specs for $200 is considered awkward?
How is it more featured?

• Locked thread