Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Sporadic posted:

I posted this theory before but try to think of it this way. Vince give (who he considers) his good friend a cushiony color commentator gig with the idea that it's a job for life ala Gorilla Monsoon. And how does Randy repay him for that kindness? BY SPITTING HIS GODDAMN FACE AND GOING OVER TO THE COMPETITION!

I thought Randy left, among other talent, was because at the time the WWF was suffering huge losses and PR issues because of wrestler deaths and steroid scandals? I remember reading that Vince was cutting pay for managers and commentators by 30-50% during this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
On that note, why does Vince have such a hate on for JJ? Aside from the obvious, was there a particular offense?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

gypsyshred posted:

On that note, why does Vince have such a hate on for JJ? Aside from the obvious, was there a particular offense?
It might've been how he left the company by holding him up for money he was owed or else there was the chance he'd leave with the IC title he was supposed to lose to Chyna (his contract expired the day before said match). It's thought that Russo, who left around the same time, might've had a hand in that 'oversight'.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

ColeM posted:

I thought Randy left, among other talent, was because at the time the WWF was suffering huge losses and PR issues because of wrestler deaths and steroid scandals? I remember reading that Vince was cutting pay for managers and commentators by 30-50% during this time.

I think Savage wanted to wrestle, but Vince was on a youth kick at the time and was not interested in the older guys wrestling anymore.

So Savage went to WCW, got a pile of money and got to wrestle some more. And hey, maybe he was right because he continued to be a pretty big star in WCW.

If Vince was slashing commentator pay as you say, if Savage was affected by that it would make his decision to jump to WCW easy.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Savage left in 1994 because WWF was phasing him out into an announcer and Hogan got him a gigantic money deal to main event. The original WCW idea was to run a year-plus long Megapowers II type angle, but Hogan's star started fading and they never got to the breakup. It was, by all accounts, a fairly cordial departure for Savage from WWF.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
The most likely explanation I've heard involves Macho Man's Slim Jim ads. Someone on here once described a scenario where Macho got the endorsement deal totally on his own and there was little (or no?) mention of the WWF in the ads. This obviously pissed Vince off, since it was promoting Macho but not the company and Vince/the WWF didn't get his fair shake of the money.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

joshtothemaxx posted:

The most likely explanation I've heard involves Macho Man's Slim Jim ads. Someone on here once described a scenario where Macho got the endorsement deal totally on his own and there was little (or no?) mention of the WWF in the ads. This obviously pissed Vince off, since it was promoting Macho but not the company and Vince/the WWF didn't get his fair shake of the money.

doesn't explain Vince going after him in 98, well after Savage had gotten that endorsement deal.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

joshtothemaxx posted:

I remember hearing something like that too at one point. How Slim Jim was sponsoring WWF when Macho was there, and when he left for WCW he took Slim Jim too and that upset Vince. And then wasn't there a whole lot of talk about how much Vince loved Savage and he was more hurt by him leaving than anyone else? I wish we knew the whole story, it's so interesting.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Perigryn posted:

It might've been how he left the company by holding him up for money he was owed or else there was the chance he'd leave with the IC title he was supposed to lose to Chyna (his contract expired the day before said match). It's thought that Russo, who left around the same time, might've had a hand in that 'oversight'.

I think it was a more broader "Jeff Jarrett is a difficult person to work with" thing. From what I've seen of WCW, TNA and his WWF runs, there seemed to be a bit of little dog complex going on.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

triplexpac posted:

I think Savage wanted to wrestle, but Vince was on a youth kick at the time and was not interested in the older guys wrestling anymore.

So Savage went to WCW, got a pile of money and got to wrestle some more. And hey, maybe he was right because he continued to be a pretty big star in WCW.

If Vince was slashing commentator pay as you say, if Savage was affected by that it would make his decision to jump to WCW easy.

Foley mentioned that when he started commentating on Smackdown Vince started him out at entry level announcer pay. It wouldn't surprise me if they did the same to Savage too

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lone Rogue posted:

We should torture someone by making them watch Bash 2K/Beach 2K and NBR and then watch Wrestlemania XI, In Your House 1 and King of the Ring 95 and decide which was worse.

I'll do this. You think I'm kidding but I'm not, I'll do this.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The "Savage was mad at being demoted to announcer and having younger wrestlers pushed over him" thing also seems weird, because back issues of the Observer talk about Savage sincerely telling Vince that he was retiring from in-ring wrestling around 91-2 despite Vince trying to goad him into taking on more house shows and storylines.

I think it's a wrestling mystery we'll never get the answer to.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dickeye posted:

I will join you. I love bad wrestling and I especially like WCW wrestling.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
We'll get an answer eventually because nothing stays secret in wrestling.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

El Duke Silver posted:

doesn't explain Vince going after him in 98, well after Savage had gotten that endorsement deal.

Yeah but in 1998 WCW was still around and Vince would be getting one of their biggest names. After they were gone Vince could handle doing things based on his own personal grudges and what have you.

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

Dickeye posted:

I'm still sad your '98-99 RAW project tapered off.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Minges posted:

I'm still sad your '98-99 RAW project tapered off.

99-01, actually.

But yeah that was just way too big to tackle and I burned out fast. Keep it short and sweet and make it something I can bitch about endlessly, like WCW, and I'm golden.

A reminder that the last time I watched WCW I was drinking and I wrote a blog post while drinking and it degenerated from "I'm not sure what's going on here" to:

quote:

Russo is gnonna cut a promo on Flair and I hate him. THey fans hate him. They're yeling at him for making fun f Ric in fornt of his kid. tony says the Whole country is RUSSO COUNTRY and he's wrong the whole country i America. Stupid. Ric Flair came out and I don't know what he said because i Was getting my thidr drink but I bet he said I'M THE NATURE BOY WOOOOOO and he said Russo won;'t be Space Mountain IDK what that means. If flair wins they're shaving Russo's head and it's Flair and Reed vs Russo and David b/c Russo says David Flair is his son. WTF.

I guess it's time for some goldberg poo poo I don't know. Wait no it's Jeff Jarrett. gently caress him. Piece of poo poo. Jarrett vs Hogan oh my god tis like somehone read my nightmare and then made it a thing and i watched it gently caress. the match is bad Hogan is bad gently caress Hogan I hate him.

I still don't know what the Space Mountain line means.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dickeye posted:

I still don't know what the Space Mountain line means.

Its his penis

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 22, 2012

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

bobkatt013 posted:

Its his penis

...has he ever seen Space Mountain? I wouldn't want my penis looking like that. At all.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Pope Corky the IX posted:

...has he ever seen Space Mountain? I wouldn't want my penis looking like that. At all.

It's not so much that Flair's penis is Space Mountain but that Flair *IS* Space Mountain and riding him is riding Space Mountain. To ride Flair is to ride his penis.

So it still works out. Flair looking like Space Mountain would be an improvement.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
But Space Mountain sucks. It's a sub-par wild mouse coaster with a bunch of fog and lighting right out of a 70s/80s disco.

I'm sure there's a metaphor in here somewhere...

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Pope Corky the IX posted:

But Space Mountain sucks. It's a sub-par wild mouse coaster with a bunch of fog and lighting right out of a 70s/80s disco.

I'm sure there's a metaphor in here somewhere...

When it opened, it was completely amazing! Now, not so much.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

We all loved Space Mountain more when we were young and it's lost some of its lustre, but none of us would even think of skipping it if we were in Tomorrowland.

Ric_Flair.txt

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Space Mountain is one of the oldest rides in the park, but it's still the most popular one.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
OLDEST RIDE, LONGEST LINE

WOOOOOOOOOO

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'm like Space Mountain, in that it's a ride that lasts three minutes.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Lone Goat posted:

Space Mountain is one of the oldest rides in the park, but it's still the most popular one.

gently caress, then I guess I'm the Jack Rabbit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Rabbit_(Kennywood)

"I come complete with double dip! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
All this Flair talk is making me miss the old Flair/Mean WOOOO BY GAWD Gene promos every week on Nitro.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

triplexpac posted:

All this Flair talk is making me miss the old Flair/Mean WOOOO BY GAWD Gene promos every week on Nitro.
The best promos.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I think it was a video someone posted in the Youtube thread, but it was this Flair promo from way back when in WCW to build up a match with (I think) Ronnie Garvin. I may be wrong on the opponent. Either way, he goes into this weird part of the tirade where he tells the dude that, just like so many women, HE'S gonna ride Space Mountain before Flair rolls over (and the fun is done) and kicks him out of bed or something.

It was really strange. Building up a match by telling the dude you're gonna gently caress him and then kick him out. Whatever works, I guess.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If I have things on my computer, can I run a synctube? Because I'd be willing to do one with the Bash 2k/Beach 2k/NBR marathon next weekend.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dickeye posted:

If I have things on my computer, can I run a synctube? Because I'd be willing to do one with the Bash 2k/Beach 2k/NBR marathon next weekend.

Yes you can. Just bring it to the main one. I just have to warn you that NBR is not online.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Perigryn posted:

The best promos.

Counterpoint: YOUR MUSTACHE IS CROOKED!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

404GoonNotFound posted:

Counterpoint: YOUR MUSTACHE IS CROOKED!

YOUR BEARD IS A LITTLE SIDEWAYS

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes you can. Just bring it to the main one. I just have to warn you that NBR is not online.

Yes it is. I have it right now.

Also what's the main synctube?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dickeye posted:

Yes it is. I have it right now.

Also what's the main synctube?

http://www.synchtube.com/r/Manflurry

It is just a lot of it had been taken off of youtube.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bobkatt013 posted:

http://www.synchtube.com/r/Manflurry

It is just a lot of it had been taken off of youtube.

Well that's why I was asking if it was possible to do it using videos from my computer or if I should just do a livestream or what. I don't know how this tubing thing works!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dickeye posted:

Well that's why I was asking if it was possible to do it using videos from my computer or if I should just do a livestream or what. I don't know how this tubing thing works!

Ah ya you need to but it on youtube, daily motion, or another uploading service.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bobkatt013 posted:

Ah ya you need to but it on youtube, daily motion, or another uploading service.

Word. I'll figure it out in the next few days. I'll either do it next Saturday or in three weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Dickeye posted:

Word. I'll figure it out in the next few days. I'll either do it next Saturday or in three weeks.
Best bet is to upload it to YouTube with a non-serchable name and hope that the WWE doesn't auto-detect something within it and block it.