Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phone posted:

Any recommendations in the $25-50 range?

If you don't want to go the hand route, something like this would be ok, but not great
http://www.amazon.com/Capresso-559-...so+Infinity+560

That said, I'd much rather buy an $80 grinder (Capresso Infinity or refurb Maestro) and a $30 Clever Coffee Dripper or French Press.

Also, in my experience the grocery store filters make your coffee taste like paper. I'm not a huge fan of Island coffees (like Jamaicans) but reasonable persons can differ. That said, you can probably find a local roaster which will be better, fresher, and maybe cheaper.

nm fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I'd personally do the opposite. Spend $90 on the grinder and $12 for a manual pour over coffee thing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm OK with spending a bit more on the grinder, but I really just want to use a machine versus dealing with pour over. I only have a set amount of effort while in the kitchen.

Is that coffee maker still a good deal/quality?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I posted a brief review of that maker on the first page of this thread, it's the only auto-drip I'd buy***

***barring the recently released Bonavita machines, thermal carafe or a ($400) Technivorm

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Phone posted:

Any recommendations in the $25-50 range?

I'd stick to pourover or ccd and budget more for a capresso infinity or baratza refurb and save for the machine to buy later. Grinder is the most important part of the setup.

Edit: derp there's a whole other page to read!

Re: grocery store coffee filters. If you rinse your filters, they shouldn't have that problem. All you're tasting is the paper fines on the surface of the paper beig washed into the cup.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 18, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phone posted:

I'm OK with spending a bit more on the grinder, but I really just want to use a machine versus dealing with pour over. I only have a set amount of effort while in the kitchen.

Is that coffee maker still a good deal/quality?
A french press requires basically no brainpower or effort.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Re: grocery store coffee filters. If you rinse your filters, they shouldn't have that problem. All you're tasting is the paper fines on the surface of the paper beig washed into the cup.
I do that. Melittas still taste like papery hell.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

nm posted:

I do that. Melittas still taste like papery hell.

rinse them better. I've not had a problem with them, ever. Two changes of water, first to wet, second passed through, water dumped into gray water bucket for the plants. Works just fine.

mystes
May 31, 2006

nm posted:

If you don't want to go the hand route, something like this would be ok, but not great
http://www.amazon.com/Capresso-559-...so+Infinity+560
Those super cheap burr grinders are really no better than ones with blades in terms of the consistency of their grind (maybe worse actually).

If you want a Mr. Coffee style coffee maker I really don't think there's a difference in quality by price either. I'm not convinced they're necessarily worse than doing a pourover by hand, either, but they take up counter space and are annoying to clean so I'm not sure I understand why they're so popular.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
OK, so I currently have:

The Zojirushi drip machine (85ish)
The Hario hand burr grinder (36.50)
Decent quality coffee ($10/lb)

Decent paper filter? I think I saw nm talking about buying a year's worth supply on some site that wasn't Amazon.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Phone posted:

OK, so I currently have:

The Zojirushi drip machine (85ish)
The Hario hand burr grinder (36.50)
Decent quality coffee ($10/lb)

Decent paper filter? I think I saw nm talking about buying a year's worth supply on some site that wasn't Amazon.
These: http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-brewers/filters/filtropa-4-filters-white.html

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Don't get a manual grinder as your main grinder. Get the infinity or a refurb baratza. You are not the first person in this thread to want to cheap out on the grinder and the ones who did ended up buying the capresso or baratza out of frustration. Save yourself the time, money, and effort.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

Don't get a manual grinder as your main grinder. Get the infinity or a refurb baratza. You are not the first person in this thread to want to cheap out on the grinder and the ones who did ended up buying the capresso or baratza out of frustration. Save yourself the time, money, and effort.

Agreed, I'm one of them.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Revised list!

Zojirushi drip
Cafepresso Infinity
nm's magic filters

Thanks for the input guys.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

dhrusis posted:

Can you guys post your favorite aeropress recipes? I have a Barsta Maestro.. What grind setting should I be using?

There's a cool rundown of various Baratza grinder settings with pictures over at Coffeegeek.

They've got pictures, numbers and good descriptions for each type of grind, which was really helpful when I was getting my Maestro dialed in.

I use Tim Wendelboe's inverted Aeropress recipe, which someone recommended earlier in the thread.

There are a bunch more at Brewmethods, too.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Phone posted:

Revised list!

Zojirushi drip
Cafepresso Infinity
nm's magic filters

Thanks for the input guys.

You'll be plenty satisfied. The Infinity is a solid entry level burr grinder. I've had mine for about 5 years now and it's still running great.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I'm in the UK and I have a mug and french press I'd like to roast and grind my own beans, but the whirley pop device is actually pretty expensive here (usually starting at $50), would any kind of popcorn maker work? Something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Popcorn-Maker-Popping/dp/B003UFPT4E/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Dache
Dec 26, 2003

this happy little fella is steve

What's the cheapest burr grinder for espresso that you guys would recommend to someone? My friend has an okay espresso machine, but only has a compact electric blade grinder and I know his coffee is suffering for it.

I've told him to get a burr grinder, but he balked at the idea of spending the kind of money I did (about £250). I can find the Baratza Encore going for about £145, but I have a feeling he'd be iffy about even that much and it looks like the Encore's not to great for an espresso grind in the first place. We can't get refurb Baratzas in the UK, so that option's out. He only ever makes espresso anyway, he doesn't have much interest in brewed coffee.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Dache posted:

What's the cheapest burr grinder for espresso that you guys would recommend to someone? My friend has an okay espresso machine, but only has a compact electric blade grinder and I know his coffee is suffering for it.

I've told him to get a burr grinder, but he balked at the idea of spending the kind of money I did (about £250). I can find the Baratza Encore going for about £145, but I have a feeling he'd be iffy about even that much and it looks like the Encore's not to great for an espresso grind in the first place. We can't get refurb Baratzas in the UK, so that option's out. He only ever makes espresso anyway, he doesn't have much interest in brewed coffee.

Do you want one with a Dose measure as well or just a grinder?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Dache posted:

At the bare minimum you need a Capresso Infinity. Anything less is a waste of money. The Infinity isn't perfect for Espresso by any means, but I've been using one for years with pretty good results. I'd love to get something nicer at some point, but because my Infinity is still running flawlessly I've never had a real push to.

Dache
Dec 26, 2003

this happy little fella is steve

Aramoro posted:

Do you want one with a Dose measure as well or just a grinder?

Nah, he won't care about a doser. Just the grinder would work.

I'll have a look into the Capresso Infinity, not sure if you can get them here... Edit: Looks like you can't get them in the UK. :(

Dache fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 18, 2012

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
My Breville grinder finally crapped out after 2 and a half years of good use.

code:
You have ordered the following:

Qty  Description                             Unit                Amount
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1     (385R) Maestro Plus Refurb             $95.00              $95.00
      * Weight: 7.00 lbs. each
Welp!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Dache posted:

I know it's out of your price range, but the cheapest I would go for espresso is the ascaso i-mini. And that is for dedicated espresso. It is stepless with no coarse adjust, so going from espresso to drip and back again would be the biggest pain in the rear end.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I know standard practice is to weigh your coffee and water if you want to get good results, but what is the downside to using too much coffee, in a drip or press environment? Just the loss of consistency?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the coffee:water ratio (by weight) for a French press?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's the coffee:water ratio (by weight) for a French press?

I think around 1:18 (50g coffee to 900g water is what I use in a 32oz press).

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Gravity Pike posted:

I know standard practice is to weigh your coffee and water if you want to get good results, but what is the downside to using too much coffee, in a drip or press environment? Just the loss of consistency?

Strength. I generally brew my chemex at a ratio of about 1:16, but I regularly gently caress with that just to experiment. Putting too much coffee in can bring really overwhelming flavors forwards; it's not necessarily going to be bitter, but it will be harsh and gross to drink.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Edit: nevermind I am wrong.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 22, 2012

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Does anyone have any budget grinder recommendations for someone to use with a french press? My girlfriend's sister decided she wants to get a french press for her apartment because her roommate is moving out and taking her Keurig with her. I know there is no way I can get her to spend the money to get an Capresso Infinity, so does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonable burr grinder that can handle french press? Are there any budget models that do a halfway decent job in maybe the $30-40 range? I don't know if I could get her to look at a Hario hand-mill either, though I didn't bring the idea up to her.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

rockcity posted:

Are there any budget models that do a halfway decent job in maybe the $30-40 range? I don't know if I could get her to look at a Hario hand-mill either, though I didn't bring the idea up to her.

I don't think you'll really find an 'okay' burr grinder in that range at all. The cheapest worthwhile one I found when I was looking on a budget is currently about $60, and it has static issues and the only thing it has going for it is that it is better than a blade grinder. Though I did buy it two years ago and it's still working.

Don't bother with the hand-mill, it's labor intensive and most people who grabbed it ended up tossing it and spending $$$ on a nice burr grinder.

Comic fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 22, 2012

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Comic posted:

I don't think you'll really find an 'okay' burr grinder in that range at all. The cheapest I found when I was looking on a budget is currently about $60, and it has static issues and the only thing it has going for it is that it is better than a blade grinder. Though I did buy it two years ago and it's still working.

Don't bother with the hand-mill, it's labor intensive and most people who grabbed it ended up tossing it and spending $$$ on a nice burr grinder.

That's sort of what I was worried about. Her knowledge of coffee of pretty limited though so I really don't know that she'd ever really notice the small differences that people who have been drinking coffee for a while notice. The good thing is that she's not terribly far from a coffee roaster so I can at least get her to buy fresh roasted coffee. I just know that when I told her that the grinder that I'd recommend was basically 4x what she'd spend on the french press that she seemed pretty put off by spending that much. I'd rather see her spend $30-40 and buy an ok grinder than to have it ground ahead of time and sit around for a week plus before getting used. I just can't recommend a blade grinder, especially for french press where the coffee that ends up finely ground just seeps through the mesh filter.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

rockcity posted:

That's sort of what I was worried about. Her knowledge of coffee of pretty limited though so I really don't know that she'd ever really notice the small differences that people who have been drinking coffee for a while notice. The good thing is that she's not terribly far from a coffee roaster so I can at least get her to buy fresh roasted coffee. I just know that when I told her that the grinder that I'd recommend was basically 4x what she'd spend on the french press that she seemed pretty put off by spending that much. I'd rather see her spend $30-40 and buy an ok grinder than to have it ground ahead of time and sit around for a week plus before getting used. I just can't recommend a blade grinder, especially for french press where the coffee that ends up finely ground just seeps through the mesh filter.

At that price range, there really isn't a recommendation per se. Just troll around and get the cheapest burr grinder on sale at a big store, like Bed Bath and Beyond or some such. It'll be terrible, and have a godawful uneven grind with static problems and such, but at least it won't heat up the coffee during the grind like a blade grinder.

And while the uneven grind will result in a very muddy cup of french press, you can tell her to grab some paper filters and wrap the plunger in a paper filter before she presses it, so the coffee comes out very clean. It's a very easy way of getting a clean french press cup if you can't afford a good grinder.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Any recommendations for ratios? So far for pourover with my Baratza Encore and V60 (/w Hario filters) i've been using 16.6g of water to 1g of coffee ratio (so, the cups I use I measured are 230ml, so for one cup its 14g of coffee. Am I doing something wrong here with the ratio? My buddy insisted on this ratio (and he's pretty knowledgable about coffee) but it seems off considering online I've seen upwards of 20g of coffee per 230ml. I have a scale so I finally can measure coffee but I really want to dial in the ratios I use. Also, what ratio to use for french press? It seems all the ratios online are "two tablespoons per 4oz" or whatever, and I a.) don't use tablespoons, I have a scale, and b.)don't know what the gently caress an ounce is because i use metric.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
For french press I use 8.5g of coffee per 4oz of water. I'm no coffee expert, I just found that ratio online somewhere. Makes reasonably tasty coffee, though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

swagger like us posted:

Any recommendations for ratios? So far for pourover with my Baratza Encore and V60 (/w Hario filters) i've been using 16.6g of water to 1g of coffee ratio (so, the cups I use I measured are 230ml, so for one cup its 14g of coffee. Am I doing something wrong here with the ratio? My buddy insisted on this ratio (and he's pretty knowledgable about coffee) but it seems off considering online I've seen upwards of 20g of coffee per 230ml. I have a scale so I finally can measure coffee but I really want to dial in the ratios I use. Also, what ratio to use for french press? It seems all the ratios online are "two tablespoons per 4oz" or whatever, and I a.) don't use tablespoons, I have a scale, and b.)don't know what the gently caress an ounce is because i use metric.
I use 360g water to 23 grams coffee. Works well.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

pnumoman posted:

And while the uneven grind will result in a very muddy cup of french press, you can tell her to grab some paper filters and wrap the plunger in a paper filter before she presses it, so the coffee comes out very clean. It's a very easy way of getting a clean french press cup if you can't afford a good grinder.

I saw a video of a coffee pro, Jim Hoffmann I think, making french press coffee in a jug first, with extremely coarse-ground coffee, and a long infusion time; used a spoon to remove the float on top, then carefully poured the coffee into a warm press pot, using the press action to remove only the tiny amount of fines left. Pros: improves flavour and body. Cons: more work, takes longer, end result will not be all that hot.

Shapiro
Jun 27, 2005

a jealous female can be tricked into anything

Doh004 posted:

My Breville grinder finally crapped out after 2 and a half years of good use.

code:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welp!

Well, I'm with this guy, just now:

code:

:)

Pretty excited!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

drat...I received my clever coffee dripper and filter on Thursday, but I've been stuck at home with bronchitis and haven't even wanted coffee yet.

This sucks!

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I just got some Sermon from Verve and it's fuckin awesome. It's like someone stuck Blueberries in my espresso. I can even taste it in a cappuccino.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

nwin posted:

drat...I received my clever coffee dripper and filter on Thursday, but I've been stuck at home with bronchitis and haven't even wanted coffee yet.

This sucks!

I got my CCD on Thursday too. It's been great.

To all the people that may be interested in a Vario, I found a seller on ebay selling them new for 369 so I decided to give it a shot. I will report when I receive it and if anyone else wants here is the seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baratza-Var...#ht_2229wt_1169

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Torquemada posted:

I saw a video of a coffee pro, Jim Hoffmann I think, making french press coffee in a jug first, with extremely coarse-ground coffee, and a long infusion time; used a spoon to remove the float on top, then carefully poured the coffee into a warm press pot, using the press action to remove only the tiny amount of fines left. Pros: improves flavour and body. Cons: more work, takes longer, end result will not be all that hot.

It seems to me that you could get the same effect by starting out in the press pot and spooning out the float before putting the top on. Or am I missing something?