Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Max Payne 3 has me wanting to listen to some Baile Funk. Trouble is that I dont speak Portuguese so ive just googled the diplo mix and some Brazil booty funk compilations from 2006. can someone recommend me something more recent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

I'm looking for some nice ambient music to listen through my headphones whilst I'm reading or working. I've been using Brian Eno's 'Music for Airports' and the Blade Runner soundtrack for a while, so anything else like that would be greatly appreciated.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Convexed posted:

I'm looking for some nice ambient music to listen through my headphones whilst I'm reading or working. I've been using Brian Eno's 'Music for Airports' and the Blade Runner soundtrack for a while, so anything else like that would be greatly appreciated.

Might seem a bit of an odd choice, but some of Klause Schulze's work might interest you. http://yt.cl.nr/8xhz-QUAX1c

Aphex Twin's 'Selected Ambient works 1985 - 1992' is pretty much a classic. Bass Communion's stuff is nice, but might be a bit too ambient and drone-y.

Steve Reich's 'Phases' are pretty cool too, as are his Electric Counterpoint works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PZaen25MnU

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of stuff I am looking for.

Oh, and I had completely misplaced Aphex Twin's ambient work in my head! 'Xtal' and 'Rhubarb' are beautiful.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Convexed posted:

I find Kashiwa Daisuke and James Ferraro to be excellent for studying. Ferarro on occasional has voices but its not really singing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh6eT_zhmRg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7u-xHPNIco

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
edit: wrong thread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there anything like iamerror or impatient outpatient (preferably) or monomate's albums?

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Convexed posted:

Eluvium - Talk Through The Trees is the perfect album for this. It's beautiful, uses a full range of frequencies, and extremely repetitive.

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

Mahasamatman posted:

Anyone got Funk, Hip-hop, or afrobeat acts to share with me? With Hip-Hop, it's all about the beats for me. I checked out Lil Wayne's Tha Carter on someone's recommendation but I really didn't like any of the beats. I want more funk/soul/jazz inspired stuff, though more electronic hip-hop like El-P was fine. I dunno, some rap just sounds like someone spent a few minutes on a drum machine and I end up not liking it.

I keep remembering great recommendations for this request: Madlib and everyone he collaborates with (Madvillain with DOOM) for sure.

Edit: I'll also link these [1], [2]. Does anyone have any more "food rap"? It's such a ridiculous and great concept that I need to listen to more of it.

x!te bike fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 13, 2012

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Convexed posted:

3 page thread about ambient music.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
I know this isn't quite in line with the OP, so please forgive me if this is the wrong place:

I've been on the hunt for a couple days now for blogs, or even just one, that write about music.
Not album reviews, concert reviews, or "this thing is happening" because I can find that poo poo anywhere. I want to read people analyzing trends, discussing the merits of various technologies being used in various mediums, and talking about copyright and the history of music technology and such.

Does this exist or am I just too much of a nerd for my own good?

Multiple blogs are fine too, considering I don't necessarily expect one to analyze trends and technology as well as copyright and history.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I need more stuff that sounds like this immediately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVVp8k-Ynzw

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Can anyone please recommend some good Japanese Hip Hop? I like Arata and LL and that whole style if that helps.

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 15, 2012

AuntJemima
Jul 22, 2007
Any recommendations for rock bands that also use horns. I'm talking early Chicago and Blood, Sweat and Tears.

No ska please! Thank you.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

AuntJemima posted:

Any recommendations for rock bands that also use horns. I'm talking early Chicago and Blood, Sweat and Tears.

'70s stuff, roughly in order of increasing strangeness:
Steely Dan, Mandrill, Caravan, King Crimson (first four albums only), Van der Graaf Generator, Gong, early Magma (Kobaia, 1001 Degrees Centigrade, The Unnamables)

Also '90s alternative band Morphine.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

AuntJemima posted:

Lucero have started adding horns, starting with their album 1372 Overton Park.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
This is kind of a broad request, but I'm looking for historically significant, well-researched, or otherwise excellent compilation albums that kind of perfectly encapsulate a specific genre, scene, or movement and feature some artists who aren't widely known. Like what Some Bizzare Album is for early British synthpop, and the Nuggets compilations are for psychedelic and garage rock.

I'm especially looking for something relating to old school hip hop, '80s electro, any jazz subgenre predating Miles Davis, and any period of classical music, but I'd be open to most things. I'm kind of in a rut and I want a good compilation album to help me get into something new.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
Well for 80s electro, the street sounds compilation series was essential to defining the sound in the UK during the 80s http://www.discogs.com/label/Street%20Sounds

In general though, I enjoy compilations from soul jazz, strut, bbe and numero group. If you browse through their catalogs I'm sure you will find some interesting stuff.

ALEX TRILLTON
Sep 9, 2011

IF I'M EVER A DICK ON THE INTERNET, TELL PAULSEPHIROTH'S MOM

Synthetic Hermit posted:

I'm looking for electronic songs with a hard, epic melody. For example:

2 Unlimited - Twilight Zone
Dance Dance Revolution Extreme - Paranoia Survivor Max
Wumpscut - Soylent Green

Apologies if I don't use the correct terminologies/genres. I'm a very casual listener.

Have you ever thought about the Soundtrack to BioMetal? It is both very hard and very epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PxMwauBD5M

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Rollersnake posted:

This is kind of a broad request, but I'm looking for historically significant, well-researched, or otherwise excellent compilation albums that kind of perfectly encapsulate a specific genre, scene, or movement and feature some artists who aren't widely known.

gentle stuff:
Pebbles
Spiritual Jazz: Esoteric deep jazz from the underground 1968-77)
Forge Your Own Chains: Heavy Psychedelic Ballads and Dirges 1968-1974
Psych Funk 101 - A Global Psychedelic Funk Curriculum
Fire in My Bones: Raw + Rare + Otherworldly African-American Gospel (1944-2007)
Fight On, Your Time Ain't Long
Oh Graveyard, You Can't Hold Me Always
Please Warm My Weiner, Old Time Hokum Blues - this one has a cover made by Robert Crumb
Local Customs: Downriver Revival
Brazilian Guitar Fuzz Bananas: Tropicalia Psychedelic Masterpieces 1967-1976
Mortika: Recordings from a Greek Underworld
Wayfaring Strangers: Lonesome Heroes
Wayfaring Strangers: Ladies From The Canyon
Wizzz! Psychorama Francais (1966 - 1970)
Cazumbi - African Sixties Garage vol. 2 - way better than the first one
Waking Up Scheherazade - Arabian Psych Nuggets
Harmony of the Spheres
Drone Poets
Ambient Not Not Ambient

louder stuff:
any The World's Lousy With Ideas compilation - the best series of underground rock compilations
any Tokyo Flashback comp - for heavy japanese psych, you just can't do any better.
African Scream Contest: Raw & Psychedelic Sounds From Benin & Togo 70s
Diggin' Out - old surf rock
Downer-Rock Genocide - includes songs by the other Iron Maiden
Japanese Rockin' Psyche & Punk '66-'71
Do The Pop! The Astralian Garage-Rock Sound 1976-'87
Why March When You Can Riot - legendary OZ punk/rock compilation
Flying Nun: 25th Anniversary Box Set - great compilation of NZ indie rock
Tard & Further'd - Siltbreeze label comp, great underground sounds
any Back From The Grave comp
any Killed By Death comp - legendary obscure punk
any Messthetics comp - obscure British post-punk
any Homework comp - obscure American post-punk
any Bloodstains Over [insert place name here] comp - obscure modern punk
Every Noise Has a Note - modern space rawk
The Sexual Life of the Savages: Underground Post-Punk in São Paulo, Brazil
Shiftless Decay: New Sounds of Detroit
In a Cloud: New Sounds of San Francisco

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jun 18, 2012

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Holy poo poo, that's way more thorough a response than I was ever expecting. Thanks!

(and thanks to plogo too, I didn't overlook your post)

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

You're on RYM, aren't ya?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Ras Het posted:

You're on RYM, aren't ya?

Yes, but only for cataloguing purposes. I don't believe numerical ratings work for talking about music.

I also used to host a radio show and I've been writing about underground music for nine years now. All in Polish, though.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

PoisonedV posted:

I have been listening to a Celtic harp album recently, Morning Aire, and also the compilation album Celtic Treasure. The attractive part isn't just it being celtic but it calls to mind kind of a fantasy feel. Any more music with that fantasy and majestic atmoshpere, folk/traditional or orchestral, western or eastern, would be great.

How about all of the above? Then definitely check out Dead Can Dance, particularly the releases between (but not including) their first and last (which are good but have a different feel). Here's the Dead Can Dance reunion thread with lots of info and starting points, plus links to free music.

I also get a certain fantasy/medieval vibe from British electrofolk like Fairport Convention, especially the album Liege and Lief.

Kraxis
May 14, 2007

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I also get a certain fantasy/medieval vibe from British electrofolk like Fairport Convention, especially the album Liege and Lief.

Liege and Lief essentially invented folk-rock and lots of other stuff that involved their lead singer at the time Sandy Denny has a similar fantasy/almost mystical vibe. She was way cool.

I also really like the medieval direction that Fairport take on some of their albums two of the other stand outs are Full House and Nine (especially the track Hexamshire Lass)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
For medievalist British folk I'd also look at Gryphon, specifically their first two albums as they became more of a progressive rock band after that. They're not light and airy, though—more loud and bawdy and with crumhorns and bassoons and stuff. They're awesome, though, and their version of The Unquiet Grave (aka Cold Blows the Wind) is my favorite.

Also Forest's album Full Circle is, like, the best British folk album ever but isn't widely hailed as a masterpiece—I think I've listened to it more than any other album this past year. A lot of it's in a medieval vein, and of course my absolute favorite track (Graveyard) is the only one that doesn't seem to be on youtube. Quite a few people making GBS threads on the vocals in the comments here, and there's definitely an affected harshness to them (even more pronounced in Hawk the Hawker), but I love them. Reminds me a bit of Colin Molloy.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Paging Ras Het: stumbled across some comps on Spotify after making a typo (maybe you don't know anything about this? You've seemed to know a lot about comps of non-western music that's all). They are awesome recordings entitled "Anthologie De Musique _______" and are centered on various West and Central African states (Congo, Ivory Coast, Rwanda, and a few more)? The artist comes up as Jos Gansemans but that's sorta dubious especially since these are comps of huge groups of artists/performers. I can't find anything about these really on the internet. Do you know anything about these? And if you do, some similar stuff? I wish I could link to Youtubes of some of this stuff, because it is awesome. Here are some Spotify links of my favorites if nothing else:

http://open.spotify.com/track/78p1Mi4wXASDwJ6XWJfuIY
http://open.spotify.com/track/7vkKedRbtcvGu2LIsZhycr

global tetrahedron fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 19, 2012

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

global tetrahedron posted:

Paging Ras Het: stumbled across some comps on Spotify after making a typo (maybe you don't know anything about this? You've seemed to know a lot about comps of non-western music that's all). They are awesome recordings entitled "Anthologie De Musique _______" and are centered on various West and Central African states (Congo, Ivory Coast, Rwanda, and a few more)? The artist comes up as Jos Gansemans but that's sorta dubious especially since these are comps of huge groups of artists/performers. I can't find anything about these really on the internet. Do you know anything about these? And if you do, some similar stuff? I wish I could link to Youtubes of some of this stuff, because it is awesome. Here are some Spotify links of my favorites if nothing else:

http://open.spotify.com/track/78p1Mi4wXASDwJ6XWJfuIY
http://open.spotify.com/track/7vkKedRbtcvGu2LIsZhycr

These are a Fonti Musicali project:
http://www.africamuseum.be/research/publications/rmca/music
http://www.fontimusicali.com/fontiHome.php

They do field recordings of traditional music. Jos Gansemans is the recording engineer on that album. It looks like a ton of their stuff is on Spotify so go through their catalog and search the album titles. Neat stuff in there.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm trying to find rap where the artist specifically sings about government/social stuff. I guess like "Punk Rap" but I don't mean in a punk music sort of way.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!

Reason posted:

I'm trying to find rap where the artist specifically sings about government/social stuff. I guess like "Punk Rap" but I don't mean in a punk music sort of way.

Dead Prez speaks on a lot of social issues, but from a more militant perspective.

Here's their take on Orwell's "Animal Farm":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMgMp5pKJ6Q

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dan Hollis posted:

Dead Prez speaks on a lot of social issues, but from a more militant perspective.

Here's their take on Orwell's "Animal Farm":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMgMp5pKJ6Q

This is pretty much exactly the type of music that I'm looking for. Any more?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Reason posted:

There are tons of socially-conscious/political rappers, and even the ones that aren't really known for it can't help but touch on issues in their music. That said, the above-mentioned Dead Prez, The Coup (and the Boots/Tom Morello collaboration Street Sweeper Social Club), The Roots, Public Enemy, Gang Starr/Jeru the Damaja, Mos Def, Arrested Development, Jungle Brothers, Poor Righteous Teachers, and X-Clan are all groups/people you should check out. While you're at it, definitely listen to some Gil Scott-Heron and the Last Poets.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Reason posted:

Listen to Ice Cube's AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted. Also, seconding X-Clan.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

Have you ever thought about the Soundtrack to BioMetal? It is both very hard and very epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PxMwauBD5M
Most of that video is 2 Unlimited songs or remixes thereof. Not a bad thing, but I've heard it before.

Here's another example of what I'm looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-DWrd13XW8

your heart
Oct 24, 2010

beating right next to me
I listened to Lavender Blue by Burl Ives, and really liked it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYrdEBLecZg. I would love to find more music like that, however most of it is kind of twangy banjo country music.

Anybody know of some artists/compilation albums that feature more of that kind of beautifully simple and relaxed music from that time. Thanks.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Alright, ever since watching Hobo With a Shotgun I've been crazy about throwback 80's sci-fi music. For example how can you just not love this track:

Renegade - Treshold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l4JFCy2Wk4

I'm looking for more music of this type , and I'll also gladly accept any links where to buy it because it seems to be tough to find anything. Other artists I've heard and like are Lazerhawk, Ghosthustler, Danger, Kavinsky and Power Glove

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Skilleddk posted:

Alright, ever since watching Hobo With a Shotgun I've been crazy about throwback 80's sci-fi music. For example how can you just not love this track:

Renegade - Treshold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l4JFCy2Wk4

I'm looking for more music of this type , and I'll also gladly accept any links where to buy it because it seems to be tough to find anything. Other artists I've heard and like are Lazerhawk, Ghosthustler, Danger, Kavinsky and Power Glove
This may be over the cheesy line for you, but Flash Gordon's score/soundtrack by Queen for sticks with me (or at least the theme song and the Hero song do). Movie is a solid "so campy/goofy/bad it's good" film, too, if you're into that.

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

Skilleddk posted:

Alright, ever since watching Hobo With a Shotgun I've been crazy about throwback 80's sci-fi music.

Action Jackson
FutureCop
Miami Nights 1984
ActRazer
Flashworx
Com Truise
College
James Pants
Mitch Murder

I'd also follow this guy on youtube. He's made a lot of great 80s themed music videos.

x!te bike fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 21, 2012

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
So I'm looking for some music involving an acoustic guitar that features lots of slides and drumbeats on the guitar itself. Basically something where almost the entire guitar is being used as various instruments.

Something like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

exmorte posted:

So I'm looking for some music involving an acoustic guitar that features lots of slides and drumbeats on the guitar itself. Basically something where almost the entire guitar is being used as various instruments.

Something like this

Rodrigo y Gabriela
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-qgum7hFXk

Andy McKee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4