Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

What's the recommended 3TB drives for raid environments right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

crm posted:

What's the recommended 3TB drives for raid environments right now?
If you can get your hands on Hitachi 5k3000's, they are pretty much the best for the price. No TLER/head parking to deal with and they are reliable. I wouldn't use anything else right now.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don't you want TLER in RAID environments?

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If they are limited to 7 seconds, yes. That is only on the enterprise drives (WD RE*), though. The home drives (WD Green/Blue/Black) are set to 90 seconds, which will eventually break under hardware RAID. If you are using software RAID (mdadm specifically), it will wait for the drive to return.

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho
Anyone with any trip reports on cloud based storage to backup a Synology NAS? Right now I see options for Amazon's S3 storage and some company called HiDrive based in the UK. Anyone using these or something else to cloud their Synology? I know it has rsync built in so maybe something that route would be better with a network drive to dropbox.

Looking for options if my house burned down or a tsunami.

edit: Seems the network folder to a dropbox account is a no go, since "Cloud Station" doesn't sync files bigger than 1GB.

edit2: Wonder how much it would cost to setup a goon only cloud storage?

kill your idols fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 21, 2012

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

kill your idols posted:

Anyone with any trip reports on cloud based storage to backup a Synology NAS? Right now I see options for Amazon's S3 storage and some company called HiDrive based in the UK. Anyone using these or something else to cloud their Synology? I know it has rsync built in so maybe something that route would be better with a network drive to dropbox.

edit: Seems the network folder to a dropbox account is a no go, since "Cloud Station" doesn't sync files bigger than 1GB.

I just set up a DS412+ using Crashplan backup using this guide. It has been backing up fine for a week and seems to have been working fine for other people for a while now.

It is however so ridiculously cheap to back up multiple terabytes that I am kind of terrified Crashplan will murder my dog or something. Also I have zero experience using it with one of the cheaper ARM-based devices. I imagine that would probably be way less smooth.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I've been using tarsnap for awhile now, it has been great. A bit more expensive than vanilla S3 but it is pretty drat slick.

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe
Just had ten Seagate ST3750640NS (750gb) drives arrive on my doorstep. These are not going into my personal server, but instead for the mass NAS software reviews I intend to do.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I think he means no having to gently caress with TLER settings, like with the WD Green drives.

Also, thideras - nice, I like that idea a lot. I went with Nexentastor community for my current build but I wonder if I shouldn't have just gone with FreeNAS instead. Thankfully with ESXi, it should be pretty easy to change if I want to.

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think he means no having to gently caress with TLER settings, like with the WD Green drives.
On the newer (i.e. the past year or so) drives, Western Digital has actually removed our ability to change that value. :(

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also, thideras - nice, I like that idea a lot. I went with Nexentastor community for my current build but I wonder if I shouldn't have just gone with FreeNAS instead. Thankfully with ESXi, it should be pretty easy to change if I want to.
That would certainly make switching easy. Do you run a hardware RAID and pass that through to the virtual machine?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I pass the controller with the drives on it to the VM, but I run software RAID within the VM. However, my (admittedly relatively limited) knowledge of ZFS says that I should be able to import the pool into a different ZFS-capable OS.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I pass the controller with the drives on it to the VM, but I run software RAID within the VM. However, my (admittedly relatively limited) knowledge of ZFS says that I should be able to import the pool into a different ZFS-capable OS.

The problem is that FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD 8.2 which is ZFS v15 whereas NexentaStor (and FreeBSD 8.3/9.0) is ZFS v28.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Well then I'm not making that migration anytime soon. :v:

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

kill your idols posted:

I joined SA just to get in on the SpiderOak referral thread. If you are looking for a space to put around 10 GB, both SpiderOak and SugarSync have easily reachable referral bonus to get you there, and cheap enough to make it bigger.

GoogleDrive has 6 GB to start but no referral program. Same with Amazon Storage. Both offer better vakue paid plans than the first two.

If you are looking for that size space, here are referral codes to get us both bonus storage if you use them to sign up for the first two.

None of the above seem to have file size limits.

Sugar Sync:
https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=cx740wic3q7d4&utm_source=website&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=referral&shareEvent=692020

SpiderOak:
https://spideroak.com/download/referral/1a4d958bf039fc3743ddec82c7acacbf
Also in the SpiderOak thread there is a code to get 5gb free.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Oh holy gently caress. My IcyDock enclosure started beeping a few days ago, which either meant a temperature problem or a fan problem. Seeing as how if I touched the fan to stop it and let it start again and the beeping would go away for a while, I figured it was a fan problem, and I was planing on digging in tonight and ordering a new one or something.

To rule out temperature I decided to install smarttools (not installed by default on Solaris) and check the temps. They all looked good. I also mess around with setting up smartd and getting it to see all the drives and then what it takes to get the system to email my gmail address rather than the local mail spool. All the while I'm watching something on my TV that's streaming from the server.

The drat thing is still beeping, so I go into the room where the server is, and since I've got the monitor it's hooked up to turned on, I see that a drive has failed. I go back to my ssh session and discover that five drives, out of 10 in use (with 1 spare) have failed, all in the same enclosure, all in the same raidz vdev.

So it was reslivering and got up to 500k file errors when I powered off the system thinking it was the enclosure. Now that I've swapped the enclosures the drives live in, still 4 failed disks, though god bless ZFS, it's still trying to resliver as much data as it can onto my single spare.

E: It looks like only 4 drives are actually bad, before the last reboot 3 drives were degraded and 2 drives were removed, and now after the reboot I've got 3 degraded, one online, and one unavailable.

gently caress.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 23, 2012

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!
Dur, I posted this in the Enterprise Storage thread...

I have 8x 1.5TB drives in a JBOD enclosure with dual sas ports and a LSI RAID card to go with it. I'm considering using a not so old machine I have laying around with a dual core proc and 8 gigs of ram and a smallish SSD and doing ZFS for file sharing at home.

I currently have an n40L for Home Server 2011 but would like to offload the storage of music and video on an actual file server / NAS. I've seen a lot of talk of ZFS and just wonder what the preferred implementation is. FreeNAS, Nexenta, Open Solaris?

I've rolled my own NAS in the past with Linux and NFS / iSCSI but want to try something different. Ideally I can get it running and just forget about it. I'd like notifications on drive failure or SMART alerts.

What do you recommend?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

FISHMANPET posted:

Oh holy gently caress. My IcyDock enclosure started beeping a few days ago, which either meant a temperature problem or a fan problem. Seeing as how if I touched the fan to stop it and let it start again and the beeping would go away for a while, I figured it was a fan problem, and I was planing on digging in tonight and ordering a new one or something.

To rule out temperature I decided to install smarttools (not installed by default on Solaris) and check the temps. They all looked good. I also mess around with setting up smartd and getting it to see all the drives and then what it takes to get the system to email my gmail address rather than the local mail spool. All the while I'm watching something on my TV that's streaming from the server.

The drat thing is still beeping, so I go into the room where the server is, and since I've got the monitor it's hooked up to turned on, I see that a drive has failed. I go back to my ssh session and discover that five drives, out of 10 in use (with 1 spare) have failed, all in the same enclosure, all in the same raidz vdev.

So it was reslivering and got up to 500k file errors when I powered off the system thinking it was the enclosure. Now that I've swapped the enclosures the drives live in, still 4 failed disks, though god bless ZFS, it's still trying to resliver as much data as it can onto my single spare.

E: It looks like only 4 drives are actually bad, before the last reboot 3 drives were degraded and 2 drives were removed, and now after the reboot I've got 3 degraded, one online, and one unavailable.

gently caress.

Holy poo poo I managed to come back with no data loss. Only one drive actually died, and the rest were "degraded" because they had errors when the enclosure poo poo itself, but the reboot brought them back, so all is well, just have to RMA that one drive.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

FISHMANPET posted:

Holy poo poo I managed to come back with no data loss. Only one drive actually died, and the rest were "degraded" because they had errors when the enclosure poo poo itself, but the reboot brought them back, so all is well, just have to RMA that one drive.

Another ZFS success story :allears:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Nam Taf posted:

Another ZFS success story :allears:

Yeah, it would be an absolute nightmare if I didn't have checksums. I can't imagine storing any kind of data without them.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

DarkLotus posted:

Dur, I posted this in the Enterprise Storage thread...

I have 8x 1.5TB drives in a JBOD enclosure with dual sas ports and a LSI RAID card to go with it. I'm considering using a not so old machine I have laying around with a dual core proc and 8 gigs of ram and a smallish SSD and doing ZFS for file sharing at home.

I currently have an n40L for Home Server 2011 but would like to offload the storage of music and video on an actual file server / NAS. I've seen a lot of talk of ZFS and just wonder what the preferred implementation is. FreeNAS, Nexenta, Open Solaris?

I've rolled my own NAS in the past with Linux and NFS / iSCSI but want to try something different. Ideally I can get it running and just forget about it. I'd like notifications on drive failure or SMART alerts.

What do you recommend?

Barring user-mode and unsupported stuff, there are really only two common ZFS implementations, Solaris (as used by NexentaStor) and FreeBSD (as used by FreeNAS). Really all you can do is test both and pick a product you like but I went with FreeNAS because FreeBSD's hardware compatibility is better than Solaris.

My setup is an N40L w/16GB RAM, Intel NIC, 5x3TB drives in a RAID-Z with FreeNAS 8.2 beta which handles NFS, SMB and BitTorrent duties. It took all of 10 minutes to set up & add some scheduled SMART tests and by default it'll email you daily logs and perform scheduled ZFS scrubs.

FreeNAS is a little behind the times with its ZFS version, but both implementations are stable and several years old at this point and I can see little use for features like deduplication when storing predominantly music/video on a RAM and CPU-contrained home server. On the plus side, you'll have no problems importing a ZFS pool created with FreeNAS into NexentaStor if you decide to switch. Still it's probably best to try both out with some non-critical data.

FreeNAS is in a little bit of a transition stage right now, having lost a big chunk functionality between v7 and v8. 8.2 is in beta and incorporates plugins for non-standard functionality (which run in a BSD jail and require you to create mountpoints to access data outside of them) and then 8.3 will bring the FreeBSD base (and ZFS version) up.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

frumpsnake posted:

Barring user-mode and unsupported stuff, there are really only two common ZFS implementations, Solaris (as used by NexentaStor) and FreeBSD (as used by FreeNAS). Really all you can do is test both and pick a product you like but I went with FreeNAS because FreeBSD's hardware compatibility is better than Solaris.

My setup is an N40L w/16GB RAM, Intel NIC, 5x3TB drives in a RAID-Z with FreeNAS 8.2 beta which handles NFS, SMB and BitTorrent duties. It took all of 10 minutes to set up & add some scheduled SMART tests and by default it'll email you daily logs and perform scheduled ZFS scrubs.

FreeNAS is a little behind the times with its ZFS version, but both implementations are stable and several years old at this point and I can see little use for features like deduplication when storing predominantly music/video on a RAM and CPU-contrained home server. On the plus side, you'll have no problems importing a ZFS pool created with FreeNAS into NexentaStor if you decide to switch. Still it's probably best to try both out with some non-critical data.

FreeNAS is in a little bit of a transition stage right now, having lost a big chunk functionality between v7 and v8. 8.2 is in beta and incorporates plugins for non-standard functionality (which run in a BSD jail and require you to create mountpoints to access data outside of them) and then 8.3 will bring the FreeBSD base (and ZFS version) up.

Thank you for a very informative reply. How does ZFS handle using an SSD for cache? Is there anything special I need to do with the configuration to ensure redundancy?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DarkLotus posted:

Thank you for a very informative reply. How does ZFS handle using an SSD for cache? Is there anything special I need to do with the configuration to ensure redundancy?

Read about zil and cache (write and read caching, respectively) on the ZFS Best Practices Guide if you really do have a special setup/need and consider what's in the ZFS Evil Tuning Guide before doing anything else because zfs is a well-tested system and if there were better values than the default, they should be the default.
Other than straightening out bottlenecks, there's not a whole lot you can do performance-wise (but why would you need to? Even on consumer hardware (my low-power N36L, to be exact), I've seen SMB get maxed out on LAGG'ed dual-gigabit NIC).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 25, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

ZFS supremacy :smug:

I just powered off my machine after nearly 300 days for a move; I hope all 20 HDDs survived the move :ohdear: I'm taking this chance to dust/clean the machine and the HDD trays since they're pretty dust-caked at the moment.

I think in this new apartment, I'm going to put it + the UPS in the nice and large laundry room. Need to get a table to set them on though; do the larger Ikea Lack tables support a decent amount of weight? I bought a little one for $7.99 to hold my LaserJet and it seems fairly solid.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Why not get something like a pelican with rack posts? Or a half/third height cabinet?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Why not get something like a pelican with rack posts? Or a half/third height cabinet?

Cabinet is a little heavy/too much for an apartment-living situation, I think. But, I didn't think about getting a road case...that's not a bad idea at all. I'll look into how much those Pelicans cost.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

evil_bunnY posted:

What is a Pelican rack with posts?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The lack rack page mentions the Enterprise Edition being the coffee table suitable for the Norco cases.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

movax posted:

ZFS supremacy :smug:

I just powered off my machine after nearly 300 days for a move; I hope all 20 HDDs survived the move :ohdear: I'm taking this chance to dust/clean the machine and the HDD trays since they're pretty dust-caked at the moment.

Can you talk about your hardware and software setup a bit?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

The lack rack page mentions the Enterprise Edition being the coffee table suitable for the Norco cases.

I remember reading about the Lack Rack, but I thought it was only suitable for "light" network gear, i.e. switches/patch panels. Will check out the coffee table size, since that's what I was thinking of in the first place (and a Pelican case of the size and weight capacity I'd need is like $400)

kapalama posted:

Can you talk about your hardware and software setup a bit?

Solaris 11 running on a X58 board with a i7-920 and 24GB of RAM (no ECC, I know :downs:). 3 6-drive RAID-Z2s, two with Seagate Barracuda LPs, one with Hitachi drives, all 2TB in size. The other two drives are just a 1.5TB mirror setup for fun/testing/whatever. HDD controllers are LSI1068E based, two are the Intel OEM version, and one is from Supermicro.

It's been the same filesystems/pools since 2008 I believe, along with the same case. Replaced the old AMD hardware with the i7-920 after getting a great price on it used (thanks [H]!). Had to get a X58 because the 1068Es are PCIe 1.x, and eat up a full x8 link each :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kapalama posted:

What is a Pelican rack with posts?
A pelican-type (I don't think Pelican actually make one big enough) case with a full length cabinet in it, with a heavy duty foam layer in between. In case of emergency it can be used as a bomb/quake shelter :D

movax posted:

I remember reading about the Lack Rack, but I thought it was only suitable for "light" network gear, i.e. switches/patch panels. Will check out the coffee table size, since that's what I was thinking of in the first place (and a Pelican case of the size and weight capacity I'd need is like $400)
You can make shelves supported by all 4 feet via L-brackets. They'll take pretty much anything, but it'll be impossible to move unless you mount casters too.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Pelican doesn't make cases the size of small coffins given the material's rigidity would be compromised at certain size / volumes, but there's special manufacturers for transporting stand up basses that cost nearly as much as my own bass at $7k+ (most professional double bass players, especially in classical, have basses costing at least $15k though so it's still steep for them anyway). That's just way above and beyond what someone trying to transport a few rack servers would be looking for, crazy as it may sound. Most shipments of rack servers I've seen are freight in big, nondescript wood boxes to hide the boxes with Cisco, EMC, and HP logos.

movax posted:

(and a Pelican case of the size and weight capacity I'd need is like $400)
My dad managed to pick up a rack for his audio equipment that's admittedly too shallow for a Norco case at 29"+ depth, and it was maybe $300 from Musician's Friend / Guitar Center. It's just a big wood cabinet with felt and casters bolted and glued on. If all you have for rack mount equipment is just the Norco and you don't move often it's far cheaper to build a rack every time than to even bother with a mobile rack. 8U and 12U racks off ebay are massively expensive compared to even a Lack coffee table + reinforcements and most require assembly anyway given they're flat-packed like Ikea stuff.

movax posted:

Solaris 11 running on a X58 board with a i7-920 and 24GB of RAM (no ECC, I know
Turns out if you're using an Intel board on newer chipsets with ECC RAM you're basically going to need RDIMMs to go beyond 4x4GB of RAM due to the skyrocketing cost of 8GB UDIMMs + reduced reliability and downclocking as part of Intel specs. In that territory, you're solidly better off for cost-effectiveness by just using a consumer-grade AMD machine that all support ECC RAM (both registered and non-registered) and taking a hit on power efficiency. No way I can make up for a $400 premium at $.06 / kWh in my utilities running a powerhouse server unless it's running near peak a lot. Sadly, it makes even more sense if you're running a high-capacity server farm for most enterprise (HPC != enterprise btw) workloads.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

My dad managed to pick up a rack for his audio equipment that's admittedly too shallow for a Norco case at 29"+ depth, and it was maybe $300 from Musician's Friend / Guitar Center. It's just a big wood cabinet with felt and casters bolted and glued on. If all you have for rack mount equipment is just the Norco and you don't move often it's far cheaper to build a rack every time than to even bother with a mobile rack. 8U and 12U racks off ebay are massively expensive compared to even a Lack coffee table + reinforcements and most require assembly anyway given they're flat-packed like Ikea stuff.

I will be moving within the year, most likely. I actually have a pretty bad-rear end 24U Dell rack that I got off Craigslist for $100, and when I still lived at home (where the rack now resides in the basement), I easily mounted the Norco + UPS + friends in there. Maybe when I get a more permanent place...

quote:

Turns out if you're using an Intel board on newer chipsets with ECC RAM you're basically going to need RDIMMs to go beyond 4x4GB of RAM due to the skyrocketing cost of 8GB UDIMMs + reduced reliability and downclocking as part of Intel specs. In that territory, you're solidly better off for cost-effectiveness by just using a consumer-grade AMD machine that all support ECC RAM (both registered and non-registered) and taking a hit on power efficiency. No way I can make up for a $400 premium at $.06 / kWh in my utilities running a powerhouse server unless it's running near peak a lot. Sadly, it makes even more sense if you're running a high-capacity server farm for most enterprise (HPC != enterprise btw) workloads.

That's good to know, thanks. I probably should have ECC memory, but I've been OK for the time being, and everything that is actually important is backed up in multiple places.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

thideras posted:

If you can get your hands on Hitachi 5k3000's, they are pretty much the best for the price. No TLER/head parking to deal with and they are reliable. I wouldn't use anything else right now.

These appear to be impossible to get. What's the 2nd best option?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Does anyone know how to get HDD standby working on FreeNAS?

I have a server that is used for nightly backups only so I want to put a 20 minute HDD standby on all 4 drives. When I set this, the drives still stay always on. Do I also need to configure advanced power management and if so, what level?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I want to setup a NAS that will allow me to access files while traveling and use RAID to keep them safe. I'm figuring capacity of 3TB should be sufficient. What should I do? I'd like it to be easy to use, and I'll be using Mac and windows devices to access.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Krakkles posted:

I want to setup a NAS that will allow me to access files while traveling and use RAID to keep them safe. I'm figuring capacity of 3TB should be sufficient. What should I do? I'd like it to be easy to use, and I'll be using Mac and windows devices to access.
If you got something like a N40L (pretty cheap, reliable, power efficient) and shoved 3x2TB drives in there and used ZFS you'd get 4TB of space. Loading FreeNAS onto it and it comes with built-in FTP, CIFS, and AFP, which you can enable and configure from the FreeNAS web-based management page. All you'd have to do is pick a FTP port and forward it on your router. Easy, simple, and effective.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Is there any good reason to do this over a DNS-343? I'm just looking at both and the 343 is cheaper and less work.

What type of drives should I use? Newegg reviews are scary.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

How do I convince Hitachi to do Advance RMA in Australia? The Asia helpdesk (based in Signapore) claims it isn't offered in Asia - US maybe, but not Asia.

I'd rather not have to resilver an entire 3TB drive off a 4 drive raid-Z array. I'd prefer to image the broken drive over so at least 99% of the checksums are right there. Less to recalcualte and less chance of loss, that way.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Nam Taf posted:

How do I convince Hitachi to do Advance RMA in Australia? The Asia helpdesk (based in Signapore) claims it isn't offered in Asia - US maybe, but not Asia.

I'd rather not have to resilver an entire 3TB drive off a 4 drive raid-Z array. I'd prefer to image the broken drive over so at least 99% of the checksums are right there. Less to recalcualte and less chance of loss, that way.

Buy another 3tb drive, then rma the bad one and you'll have a cold spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I've got two RAIDZ vdevs, and a whole pile of bad disks in one of them. According to SeaTools 2 out of my 5 drives are bad, but ZFS has only faulted one of them, so as of now my data is safe (the computer is turned off right now).

I can get a hold of two disks to use temporarily until I get the RMA back, but I'd like to try and resliver them before I send off the disks. I don't have enough physical ports for two extra disks, unless I completely remove one of the vdevs.

So, if I boot into single user mode or something (Solaris Express) will ZFS resliver the first vdev even though the second vdev would be missing completely? Obviously there would be no file access, but assuming the reslivering works fine, I could then reboot with the second vdev back in place and everything would be fine, right?