Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I've been wanting to give Emperor of the Fading Suns a try for a while but can't get it to run under Windows 7 :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011

Chinook posted:

Check out Star Control 2, the Ur'Quan Masters:
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

That's a fancy PC port. You can read about the original game here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Control_II

It's a bit spoilery, though. It supplies plenty of backstory within the game itself. Good luck! (It's one of my favorite games)

Is there something a little more modern in this same vein?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

I played Lost in Blue, Lost in Blue 2, UnRealWorld and I've modded Skyrim extensively to be about survival, but my itch still isn't scratched. Anyone have survival games that involve managing food, warmth, shelter?

There's no way that you haven't tried it yet, but just in case I'd recommend a heavily modded Minecraft. I haven't played Minecraft in months and months so I'm not sure what's good now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

mdh1975 posted:

I haven't seen any on that scale. The 2004ish indie game Starscape is kinda similar, can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

mdh1975 posted:

There's Star Control III. We don't talk about it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

I played Lost in Blue, Lost in Blue 2, UnRealWorld and I've modded Skyrim extensively to be about survival, but my itch still isn't scratched. Anyone have survival games that involve managing food, warmth, shelter?

It's a bit of an unruly beast, but have you checked out DayZ yet? I don't think it does warmth/shelter, but it's a pretty tense survival game.

Applesmack
Jun 18, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

It's a bit of an unruly beast, but have you checked out DayZ yet? I don't think it does warmth/shelter, but it's a pretty tense survival game.

Strongly agree with this. If you want a survival game, this should be your first choice.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Leper Residue posted:

This is wonderful, thanks, guys! I was worried I'd have to play LiB for the millionth time.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

If you don't mind older games, you could give Robinson's Requiem a try. It's probably the most hardcore survival simulation game I've played. It's also on GOG.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

This is wonderful, thanks, guys! I was worried I'd have to play LiB for the millionth time.

Another game no one's suggested yet is Stranded 2. You're stuck on a desert island, don't die. Very Robinson Crusoe. It's quite fun, and free.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 22, 2012

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

mdh1975 posted:

Probably Space Rangers 1&2 is most like Star Control

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Unfortunately I've already played Stranded 2. Robinson's Requiem sounds petty neat though.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
I've been in a bit of a gaming rut lately and I was wondering if there was a decent singleplayer game for PC that was moderately unique or engrossing in some manner, with a low barrier for entry. Engrossing can be interpreted as having a really good story, really fluid mechanics, or just being completely addicting. Sci-fi and fantasy are good, and I don't really like turn-based anything.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Invisible Ted posted:

I've been in a bit of a gaming rut lately and I was wondering if there was a decent singleplayer game for PC that was moderately unique or engrossing in some manner, with a low barrier for entry. Engrossing can be interpreted as having a really good story, really fluid mechanics, or just being completely addicting. Sci-fi and fantasy are good, and I don't really like turn-based anything.

Have you played Binding of Isaac? McMillen is a twat, but that game is pretty fun. Takes the 'turn-based' out of roguelikes and sticks it into more of a Zelda-like atmosphere. Addicting, too, in that each game is pretty different, and you get better as you play more. (Much of your success is based on luck, too, which can be addicting, too.)

Dark Paw Bear
Jan 6, 2012

by angerbot
Can anyone recommend some games for an 11year old. She is not too good at twitch based things, not enough dexterity as she is not used to them, but maybe something that could ease her into this type of game or something.

She likes puzzle games.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Chinook posted:

Have you played Binding of Isaac? McMillen is a twat, but that game is pretty fun. Takes the 'turn-based' out of roguelikes and sticks it into more of a Zelda-like atmosphere. Addicting, too, in that each game is pretty different, and you get better as you play more. (Much of your success is based on luck, too, which can be addicting, too.)

I've been playing it on and off, but it just ends up serving as more of a time waster than a game with real depth for me (though I understand it is much more than that).

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax

Dark Paw Bear posted:

Can anyone recommend some games for an 11year old. She is not too good at twitch based things, not enough dexterity as she is not used to them, but maybe something that could ease her into this type of game or something.

She likes puzzle games.

Bejeweled 3 is on sale on Steam right now, it's got an endless mode where you can just relax and play without any pressure. You could also try something like Crayon Physics Delux, Your Doodles are Bugged or Max and the Magic Marker for games where you draw objects to solve puzzles.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Are there any turn based (or real time) tactics focused strategy games with good AI? Playing CIV 5 or Empire TW just frustrates me because I find myself winning tons and tons of battles just due to the tactical AI being dumb as heck. The more modern the better!

The reason I bring up CIV 5 is because I found the hex based combat to be awesome when the AI wasn't busy shooting itself in the foot (but inexplicably having dozens and dozens more units than it should).

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Invisible Ted posted:

Have you played Bastion? You should play Bastion.

Dark Paw Bear
Jan 6, 2012

by angerbot

Cass posted:

Bejeweled 3 is on sale on Steam right now, it's got an endless mode where you can just relax and play without any pressure. You could also try something like Crayon Physics Delux, Your Doodles are Bugged or Max and the Magic Marker for games where you draw objects to solve puzzles.

Thanks, she says she wants Doodles.

Are there any strategy games that would be suited for an 11 year old, turn based or real time, or point and click adventure games.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Dark Paw Bear posted:

Are there any strategy games that would be suited for an 11 year old, turn based or real time, or point and click adventure games.
There's countless flash and cheap retail tower defense games. If you don't like violence, plants vs zombies is great and available on virtually every device.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Dark Paw Bear posted:

When I was like, 5, my dad let me play Duke Nukem 3D. I enjoyed it. Give her some new cool games like Portal, Max Payne 3, or more cutsey indie games if she is really that uninterested. She's 11 years old for godssakes, give her actual games AAA not these crappy games for two year olds.

Dark Paw Bear
Jan 6, 2012

by angerbot

Kontradaz posted:

When I was like, 5, my dad let me play Duke Nukem 3D. I enjoyed it. Give her some new cool games like Portal, Max Payne 3, or more cutsey indie games if she is really that uninterested. She's 11 years old for godssakes, give her actual games AAA not these crappy games for two year olds.

Yeah I am trying to find some real games, she is just not very skilled with them as she has not played a lot besides browser bs games. I mean, she tried to play the new Zelda but just had too hard of a time with the controls.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I really have no concept of how it would translate for an 11 year old but... could Advance Wars work for her?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Dark Paw Bear posted:

She likes puzzle games.

Portal 2, maybe? There's not that many puzzles that require a ton of dexterity, but it would probably be good at easing her into that sort of thing.

Dark Paw Bear
Jan 6, 2012

by angerbot

Sam. posted:

Portal 2, maybe? There's not that many puzzles that require a ton of dexterity, but it would probably be good at easing her into that sort of thing.

Good suggestion! Sadly, she was about halfway through the game before it crashed and did not save. So she did not want to do it all over and stopped playing for now :( I felt so bad

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

grate deceiver posted:

I've got a feeling you might like Emperor of the Fading Suns, it's basically the dark ages in space, kinda similar to Dune. Make sure to check out the two major mods - Nova and Hyperion. Since vanilla game is a bit broken in places, they rebalance it to make it more playable. Nova is the beginner-friendly one iirc.

Thanks for the tip, this seems sweet as hell. As soon as I figure out how to play, it will be awesome. I installed the Nova mod, in theory it is supposed to make it easier for new players.

As for getting it to run in Window 7, I downloaded it from Home of the Underdogs, and extracted it to C:\EOFS

This seems to be the 'traditional' install path, and maybe that will help. They HOTU version has no music, but other than that I haven't had any problems so far. I've only tooled around with it for a few minutes though.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Dark Paw Bear posted:

Good suggestion! Sadly, she was about halfway through the game before it crashed and did not save. So she did not want to do it all over and stopped playing for now :( I felt so bad

If you know what level she was on I'm sure some goon could provide a save!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Unfortunately I've already played Stranded 2. Robinson's Requiem sounds petty neat though.
Robinson's Requiem is not a survival simulator, it's a horrible death simulator. If you like it anyway, I recommend Deus.

Oblivion590
Nov 23, 2010

Dark Paw Bear posted:

When I was that age (and much younger), I really enjoyed Sid Meier's Civilization and Civilization II. I was completely terrible at 4x games, but I could tweak the difficulty however I wanted, come up with personal objectives to reach, or design maps to skew things in or out of my favor. Turn-based strategy games can be fairly complex for someone who isn't used to them, though. You should probably be prepared to answer a lot of questions.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Category Fun! posted:

Have you played Bastion? You should play Bastion.

Just finished the demo, buying the full game now. Thanks for the recommendation!

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

waywardhorizons posted:

I recently got my hands on Disgaea DS after a friend of mine wouldn't shut up about the series and convinced me to try it. So far I'm having a blast and might be interested in picking up it's sequels. Can anyone recommend me any particular titles in the series, which are worth getting and which aren't?

You may have better luck asking in the Disgaea thread, but here are the impressions that I've gleaned.

Disgaea DS is the most stripped down game in the series, I think even more so than than the original Disgaea. So if you're enjoying the DS port, it's probably likely that you'll enjoy the others.

Gameplay-wise, I think they tend to improve from each iteration; two is better than 1, 3 is better than 2, and 4 is better than 3. They streamline the mechanics and add in some new stuff in each generation, so the later games have a lot more stuff than the earlier ones.

Plot wise, I think 1 is regarded as the best, with 4 a close second. 2 has an okay plot, and the plot of 3 is pretty lame. If you're playing Disgaea for the plot then I don't really know what to tell you, to be honest.

By and large, I think the choice of which Disgaea game to get depends mostly on what system you have. If you just have the DS, then you're pretty much out of luck. Disgaea 2 is for the PS2, but it got ported to the PSP as well. Disgaea 3 is on the PS3, but it was recently ported to the Vita with some extra endgame content, so if you have a Vita then 3 is pretty much the one to get. If you have a PS3 and don't mind playing them on a non-portable system, then I think 4 is where it's at.

Hopefully that helps!

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I'm completely hooked on Kairosoft's sim games for android. Before these games, my last experience with a sim-building type games was Sim ant and Sim Hospital in 1995 or whatever.

The Kairosoft games are great, and even pretty complex, I just want a fuller experience in the genre.
Is there any modern sim-building PC games that you guys recommend? Bonus if it doesn't have rollercoasters in it, and double bonus if I can get it on steam.

Thanks!

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Invisible Ted posted:

Just finished the demo, buying the full game now. Thanks for the recommendation!

You're in for a treat. The music and art in that game is great, and it's a blast to play. The climax is particularly cool, depending on how you handle it, too.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Baldbeard posted:

I'm completely hooked on Kairosoft's sim games for android. Before these games, my last experience with a sim-building type games was Sim ant and Sim Hospital in 1995 or whatever.

The Kairosoft games are great, and even pretty complex, I just want a fuller experience in the genre.
Is there any modern sim-building PC games that you guys recommend? Bonus if it doesn't have rollercoasters in it, and double bonus if I can get it on steam.
Anno 1404. No Steam unfortunately :( Anno 2070 is on Steam but it's much worse IMO.

Solaire
Jun 21, 2012

Lodare il sole

Coca Koala posted:

You may have better luck asking in the Disgaea thread, but here are the impressions that I've gleaned.

Disgaea DS is the most stripped down game in the series, I think even more so than than the original Disgaea. So if you're enjoying the DS port, it's probably likely that you'll enjoy the others.

Gameplay-wise, I think they tend to improve from each iteration; two is better than 1, 3 is better than 2, and 4 is better than 3. They streamline the mechanics and add in some new stuff in each generation, so the later games have a lot more stuff than the earlier ones.

Plot wise, I think 1 is regarded as the best, with 4 a close second. 2 has an okay plot, and the plot of 3 is pretty lame. If you're playing Disgaea for the plot then I don't really know what to tell you, to be honest.

By and large, I think the choice of which Disgaea game to get depends mostly on what system you have. If you just have the DS, then you're pretty much out of luck. Disgaea 2 is for the PS2, but it got ported to the PSP as well. Disgaea 3 is on the PS3, but it was recently ported to the Vita with some extra endgame content, so if you have a Vita then 3 is pretty much the one to get. If you have a PS3 and don't mind playing them on a non-portable system, then I think 4 is where it's at.

Hopefully that helps!

Thank you for your input. I'm planning on getting a Vita and have a PS3, so I'll probably just go ahead and get 'em all. My fun with Disgaea is turning into a bit of an obsession, but dammit it's such an addicting gameplay system.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Pierzak posted:

Anno 1404. No Steam unfortunately :( Anno 2070 is on Steam but it's much worse IMO.

Anno 1404 is on steam as "Dawn of Discovery"

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Brownie posted:

Anno 1404 is on steam as "Dawn of Discovery"

"This game is not currently available for purchase" according to Steam.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah they took it off Steam so only people who own it already can play it. You can buy it on Gamersgate though, they don't have a client or anything so you can just add it to Steam with the "add non-steam game" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

If you have a U.S. billing address, you can also download it from Amazon.