Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

octoroon posted:

This is the video I watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhwCErELHoA

In the video description and throughout the video it mentions it was Space Invaders-inspired, and watching the video multiple enemies come in at once -- maybe not so much in formations -- but it looks a heck of a lot like a stylized Space Invaders to me. Maybe "clone" is the wrong word. But whatever -- my point is just that it doesn't seem to be worth the drama. It's not even very interesting?

That... is Missile Command. With a silly theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know if any studios in the Los Angeles area are hiring for QA at this point?

In fact, besides the gamasutra job board, is there any other centralized job listing area for game companies?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Gamesindustry.biz?

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Revitalized posted:

Anyone know if any studios in the Los Angeles area are hiring for QA at this point?

In fact, besides the gamasutra job board, is there any other centralized job listing area for game companies?

There's gamedevmap
http://gamedevmap.com/

I know the folks at iWin are looking for contract QA guys, but I'm not too sure about other places.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Iwin is indeed looking for contract QA guys (I was interviewed) but you better have alot of experience in that field, otherwise they won't bother.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Juc66 posted:

There's gamedevmap
http://gamedevmap.com/

I know the folks at iWin are looking for contract QA guys, but I'm not too sure about other places.

Game Dev Map is also almost hilariously out of date. I was looking at it earlier today, and a studio that closed almost 3 years ago and no longer even has a domain name is listed as being local. If you go through the Seattle area listing, probably 15 of the studios aren't here anymore.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Hughlander posted:

Game Dev Map is also almost hilariously out of date. I was looking at it earlier today, and a studio that closed almost 3 years ago and no longer even has a domain name is listed as being local. If you go through the Seattle area listing, probably 15 of the studios aren't here anymore.

Too bad about gamedevmap, it's a really cool resource, but terribly out of date. When I browse jobs online I'm pretty much limited to gamasutra. I did find a posting on my local IGDA chapter site for my first job. Finding job postings online seems like a difficult way to actually get a job though.

EDIT: Oh nice, gamesindustry.biz seems to have a lot more global job postings, I've never looked there before.

Resource fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 24, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Resource posted:

Too bad about gamedevmap, it's a really cool resource, but terribly out of date. When I browse jobs online I'm pretty much limited to gamasutra. I did find a posting on my local IGDA chapter site for my first job. Finding job postings online seems like a difficult way to actually get a job though.

EDIT: Oh nice, gameindustry.biz seems to have a lot more global job postings, I've never looked there before.
There's a new map starting up, seemingly: http://www.indiedevmap.com/

FreakyZoid posted:

Indie dev map - So everyone from Epic and Valve to some dude in his bedroom (as long as you've pushed a game out somewhere). What's the point in the meaningless indie moniker other than "hey indie dev sounds cooler than just game dev"?

Or do they mean that their dev map is pretty indie (in that it's just an idea that doesn't do anything at the moment)?
I have no freaking clue. Indie is a brand at this point. I guess gamedevmap.com was already taken?

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 21, 2012

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Indie dev map - So everyone from Epic and Valve to some dude in his bedroom (as long as you've pushed a game out somewhere). What's the point in the meaningless indie moniker other than "hey indie dev sounds cooler than just game dev"?

Or do they mean that their dev map is pretty indie (in that it's just an idea that doesn't do anything at the moment)?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

FreakyZoid posted:

I liked their dev map before it was cool :smug:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

FreakyZoid posted:

Might just be for people who object to the big publishers, who might still want want to work for what are essentially massive Indies (who control huge amounts of the PC market)

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Indie in the context of game developers is just not owned by a major publisher.

So Valve is technically an indie (although it's close since it self-publishes its own games, and other people's games), as is Epic.

Same with your two man garage start up making Brony Fighter.

Places like Relic and Volition and other publisher-owned studios are not Indie.

Just because places like Epic have multi-title contracts with a publisher doesn't mean they're not Indie.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember
If Valve is indie then so is every internal major publisher studio so the definition is basically worthless.

edit: just to clarify Forbes estimated gabe newell's net worth at 1.5 billion and most of that is from valve. For comparison THQ's market cap is 43 million, TTWO is 885 million, EA is 3 billion and ATVI is 13 billion.

Valve has several hundred employees making them larger than almost anyone out there.

Jaytan fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 21, 2012

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Yeah, that's a good point. I'd argue Valve is no longer an indie developer, but a Publisher.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Please define how successful you can be before you're no longer indie. TIA.

Interplay's stock is listed at $0.02 and they have almost no employees. Possibly the most indie studio?!

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

rope kid posted:

Interplay's stock is listed at $0.02 and they have almost no employees. Possibly the most indie studio?!

Number of Twitter followers is greater than 10000.

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

rope kid posted:

not a posession of the queen IMO?

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
If your studio has been open more than 18 months, you are no longer indie.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sorry this has nothing to do with game jobs but it was posted in this thread. Does anyone remember that video a goon made of his game prototype where taking screenshots saved basically a copy of the world state? So you could take a screenshot of some blocks stacked up, knock them down, then paste the screenshot on the wall, enter it, and see all the blocks stacked up again. People kept commenting on how he would be the next person Valve hires. I can't find the video anymore but it was totally rad and I wanted to show someone.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph60iKWmtos

For the record, it was on page 67 and it was made by Podunkian (but posted by Shalinor).

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Thanks dude!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Sorry this has nothing to do with game jobs but it was posted in this thread. Does anyone remember that video a goon made of his game prototype where taking screenshots saved basically a copy of the world state? So you could take a screenshot of some blocks stacked up, knock them down, then paste the screenshot on the wall, enter it, and see all the blocks stacked up again. People kept commenting on how he would be the next person Valve hires. I can't find the video anymore but it was totally rad and I wanted to show someone.

It was called "Snapshot" and was shown at the PAX Indie 10 last year.
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/09/pax-10-says-these-are-the-best-indie-games/
Because it's a dumb name that doesn't Google well, I'll let you search from there.

edit: Was thinking of a completely different game about taking screenshots for gameplay. Oops. The other guy had it.

double edit: Here's a video of Snapshot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtDwJaP7yiw

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 22, 2012

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

dunkman posted:

If your studio has been open more than 18 months, you are no longer indie.

If you get paid a salary through a real payroll company and have taxes removed you may be an independant studio, but you aren't "indie".

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

EgonSpengler posted:

If you get paid a salary through a real payroll company and have taxes removed you may be an independant studio, but you aren't "indie".
So only people that are bad at business management can be indie?

Wait, this... actually makes a lot of sense.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

EgonSpengler posted:

If you get paid a salary you aren't "indie".

Fixed that for you :colbert:

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Snow Patrol are my fav developers

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
A good way to wind up, say, a group of annoying Computer Games Development students from your local technical college is to drop the line "Isn't indie just another word for amateur?" into their conversation about Minecraft vs. Fez.

Calling the university they attend a technical college also works.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I would qualify Indie as, you can do public things (Twitter / interviews) without a hired "Handler" following you around.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

IMO, "Indie" is not so much about the money, but the type of games that the company makes. Especially if they are smaller, more artsy, experimental or niche games. Mojang is a good example.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Chasiubao posted:

I liked their dev map before it was cool :smug:

Afk, registering hipstergamedevmap.com

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Afk, registering hipstergamedevmap.com

Only blogs and websites that look like they were made in geocities are allowed.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

So, shifting gears, I have had an interest in architecture for most of my life, and I've been reading about my local university's architecture masters program out of curiosity. Under the assumption that I would be working concurrently if I ever did a masters program, what are people's opinions of that path, considering that I'm an environment artist?

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Mental.

Masters Architecture dropout representing, I can say while it was really awesome, you're talking full-time study for 7ish years usually (with work exp on the last two/three). Working concurrently with it sounds mental, but I would never say it's impossible as I have no real idea how it would turn out. But I would definably check out what sort of study options there are?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Well, I should add that I already have an unrelated bachelor's, so I'd be looking at 3 years for the masters, but points taken. Whether or not work experience is required is something I'll need to determine.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

mutata posted:

So, shifting gears, I have had an interest in architecture for most of my life, and I've been reading about my local university's architecture masters program out of curiosity. Under the assumption that I would be working concurrently if I ever did a masters program, what are people's opinions of that path, considering that I'm an environment artist?

I'm always a fan of tangentially related upper education. It WILL be hard but you can do it. The degree definitely would help in some circumstances as an Environment Artist, but it really depends on the type of studio you end up at. Not everywhere will value your input from that angle while others will cherish it. Same as anything else really.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
At Volition I think the three guys with Architecture BAs were making all the environment art that wasn't buildings :v:

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember
For Indie definitions I'm going to go with you aren't indie when you need to rent out space to have any kind of team outing. So over 12 or so people?

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
"If you have health insurance through work, you're probably not indie."
"If you had your computer purchased for you, you're probably not indie."
"If you have a sales rep or engineering support person at Unity/Unreal/RAD/etc, you're probably not indie."

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.
Once you've actually finished your game, you are no longer indie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

"If you have elbow space, you're probably not indie."