Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Urdnot Fire posted:

How long are those summaries? One sentence? Full paragraphs?

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/A_Feast_for_Crows-Chapter_23

Seems pretty thorough for a Sansa chapter, about what you'd expect if you took out all the food and her talking about her "tummy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

298298 posted:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/A_Feast_for_Crows-Chapter_23

Seems pretty thorough for a Sansa chapter, about what you'd expect if you took out all the food and her talking about her "tummy".

quote:

Petyr reveals that he will never be able to sway Bronze Yohn, but when Alayne inquires about Ser Lyn, he tells her that he can be bought "with gold and boys and promises."
Nice to see they at least fulfilled the required pedophilia quotient.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

thornghost posted:

7/10 chance he's from Canada.

2/10 chance he's from the United States but he visited Germany with his class in high school and knows "all about" Europe.

1/10 chance he's from Europe.

0/10 chance Winds of Winter is released this decade.

Thank God HBO made the series, now he has to have it done by 2015. Otherwise he'd die before finishing the next book and it would have to be "co-authored".

And the best part of drinking Bud Light is that Europe probably thinks its plebian and gross.

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

p.crestmont posted:

Thank God HBO made the series, now he has to have it done by 2015.

Oh, my sweet summer child...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I know a story about a man who doesn't like writing stories

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Yep. And gin is for nerds in stupid hats (fedora/bowler/etc).

Gin owns, gently caress you. The taste of pine sol that rotgut gin has is more pleasant than the turpentine taste rotgut vodka has. And anything else costs more.

And it's hard to get classier than the good old G&T.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I've been called gay for enjoying gin but was not aware of a nerd stereotype.

But I am posting in this thread, so gently caress

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If it was at a goonmeet there's a high probability you were just being called a gaijin.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Bad news guys, but you're also a massive loving loser if you read fantasy books or pay money to post on the Internet.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

p.crestmont posted:

And the best part of drinking Bud Light is that Europe probably thinks its plebian and gross.

But... it is.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
PBR is the best beer, all microbrews are poo poo with garbage in them, and steaks should be cooked medium well.

:smug:

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Watching you guys argue about alcohol is like watching people argue about Pokemon to me.

"My bulbasaur could beat your martini"
"Oh yeah? My Corona could annihilate your Sephirothmon!"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bad news guys, but you're also a massive loving loser if you read fantasy books or pay money to post on the Internet.

Which is why we need to drink.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Remember way back in the first book when Gregor was raiding the riverlands and Ned ordered Tywin to take responsibility for the actions of his bannerman? What does that say about Ned when his own bannermen were running a rape/torture/mutilation/flaying/human hunting carnival over in the Dreadfort?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Honorable Stupid Ned assumed that practice was over and the Boltons were swell guys.

IRQ posted:

Which is why we need to drink.

Preferably gin.

*tips fedora*

I like to play the GRRM drinking game.

Pit on the AFFC audiobook and pick a Sansa/Alayne chapter. Every time a chill goes up your spine as you realize GRRM jerked off as he wrote it, do a shot.

Expert alcoholic level:

Every time fecal matter is mentioned in Dany's ADWD chapters.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I don't own a single hat, thank you. And if I did, it wouldn't be a loving fedora.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

I don't own a single hat, thank you. And if I did, it wouldn't be a loving fedora.

I own a greek sea captain's hat. It matches my suspenders and beady eyes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Do you have giant 60s old man glasses and a patchy neckbeard? That kind of makes the look man.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

Do you have giant 60s old man glasses and a patchy neckbeard? That kind of makes the look man.

I am clean shaven and have perfect vision.

:negative:

I am such a failure.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hats can be a nice accent to an ensemble, and they're practical as well. Lots of variety, and generally stylish. I've had a few over the years, and they have their place. I don't get wearing hats all the time, though.

Why wear a hat non-stop?!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hats are for when it's cold as gently caress or if you're old enough to remember the 40s. Otherwise you look like a loving idiot.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I have found footage of Ser Pounce getting ready for his planned coup d'etat on the Iron Throne, here he is in Maester Pycelle's library.

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Why wear a hat non-stop?!

True Fact(tm) Most males between 20 and 30 that wear fedoras non-stop are just trying to look like Indiana Jones.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Irrefutable fact:

People who own fedoras:

1. Chose HD-DVD in the "format wars".

2. Chose Zune in the "mp3 player wars".

3. Masturbate to My Little Pony

4. Smell like NesQuik and moldy socks.

Irrefutable Fact.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Did someone say gin?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Nobody said gin. We're all vodka-drinkers here. Vodka and Jägermeister.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Cachaça.

gently caress all you all.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I only drink Chartreuse.

And then cry until I pass out.

Then shitpost at work until I can get home and repeat the cycle.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

thornghost posted:

True Fact(tm) Most males between 20 and 30 that wear fedoras non-stop are just trying to look like Indiana Jones.

Harrison Ford is the reason I commute by helicopter only.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Harrison Ford is the reason I commute by helicopter only.

Did you know he apparently flies rescue helicopters? A friend of a friend got pulled off a mountain by Mr. Ford a few years ago.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Just another reason why Mr. Ford is awesome. Too awesome to read anything but the finest Star Wars EU novels, never mind literally lovely fantasy novels.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I only drink Chartreuse.

My 20th birthday was heavily messed-with by a guy who wanted us all to do a bunch of shots of Chartreuse. Only he kept calling it "monk water" and didn't know the actual name, just that it was a colour. Cue a two-minute game with the waiter trying to even ask if they had it, at which point he ordered six shots for the four of us, drank three of them himself, and passed out repeatedly during the movie, only to wake up angry and confused.

What I'm getting at here is I know who you are now, Tony Danza Claus. You're Gaetan. You fucker.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zune > iPod

Sorry, it's just true. That loving click wheel was a horrible interface and iTunes was sloppy dany poo poo on Windows.

That said, who doesn't just use their phone now?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I only use my phone for music-listening when I'm at work and can set it to loudspeaker in the cooler. I have a Shuffle for actual listenings. I refuse to put all my eggs in one basket.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
On my 20th birthday the SA forums were brand new and people still made mix tapes on actual tapes.

And books were made of "paper", this solid, flexible material made from trees.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

And yet even then GRRM refused to write, on paper or otherwise.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Jesus Christ it still took hours just reading chapter summaries to finish AFFC/ADWD. I would've been pissed if I'd went ahead reading the books.

Nothing happening?
Nothing happening?
Oh Jaime going to war in the riverlands finally something happening no wait settles it with words
Nothing happening?
Nothing happening?
Oh poo poo Stannis going to make Boltons pay nope time to get stuck in snow and talk
Nothing happening?
Nothing? Anything?
Oh cool at least we get another trial by combat lol nah let's leave that for another book way too much already happened in this one~

At what point did the wheels come off the bus with GRRM?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

whowhatwhere posted:

Nobody said gin. We're all vodka-drinkers here. Vodka and Jägermeister.

I drink Hennessy because I listened to too much rap growing up.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

run DNC posted:

So last night while feverish from a infection I figured out the entire story of A Song Of Ice and Fire.

Jon Snow's father is Moon Boy. Moon Boy is Jon Snow. Arya Starks father is Jon Snow. Daenerys Targaryen's father is also Jon Snow. After a crushing defeat in battle at the wall by the combined forces of not-Zombie Jon Snow, Dany and her dragons, and Arya somehow the Great Other will destroy the sun. Jon Snow will then fly to the moon on the back of one of the dragons and learn from the other dragons who live inside the moon (as in that Dothraki legend) how to time travel. He will time travel with his three two sibling/children to the beginning of time to defeat the Great Other in the past by ripping out his true love Ygritte (he time traveled to just before her death) and throwing it into the sky, to become Lightbringer aka the sun. Jon is Azor Azhai but not reborn just actually the first one. After he does this he knows he has to time travel to create the situation that allowed him to defeat the Others so he goes and in disguise as Ned hatefucks Catelyn Stark (making Arya actually a bastard, just like she referenced asking about in aGoT) and Rhaella Targ. He then becomes Moon Boy (get it, from the moon) in order to watch and make sure that everything happens according to plan. Jon Snow also goes back in time to found the Stark Dynasty and build the Wall (binding one of the dragons under it) and Winterfell (binding another dragon) and sending the third to Valyria with Dany to found the Targaryan Dynasty and Arya founds the Faceless Men in Bravos.

ALSO the reason dragons are called dragons is the first people who saw them after Jon Snow created the sun misunderstood the name Drogon as being the name of the kind of creature instead of his proper name and it eventually corrupted over time to Dragon.

So not only is Jon Snow Moon Boy and Azor Azhai he is Brandon the Builder (taking his notreallybrothers name) and also his own great great great great great (a lot more greats) grandfather as well as his own father (since he is a distant ancestor of Lyanna, his mother/concubine.) Also Howland Reed is future Bran after he wargs into a Child of the Forest.

What you just wrote is the Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I only use my phone for music-listening when I'm at work and can set it to loudspeaker in the cooler. I have a Shuffle for actual listenings. I refuse to put all my eggs in one basket.

gently caress apple. Use the cloud man, google and Amazon both do it, you can have all your poo poo available any time anywhere, as long as you have 3G. And I know canada has it.