Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

scottch posted:

Fantastic! The figure makes it so much more powerful. Best of the bunch, and I'd be pleased as punch if it were mine.

Thanks!

TBH I was totally unprepared for the conditions at the protest and felt lucky to get anything at all.

The light was terrible, it was raining, it was my first time trying to shoot people in public, and I was kinda freaked out by the cops (having never been to a protest before and preparing for the worst). I learned later that at least a couple photographers were arrested that night, but luckily I happen to look like a harmless bookish white middle middle-class male. The adrenaline was still skydiving levels at times, and I can't even imagine what war photography must be like.

edit: this probably sounds like i'm making excuses... i'm happy with what i got, the conditions just made it challenging & exciting and taught me a lot about how much I don't know.

Spime Wrangler fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Bern Bike by Cacator, on Flickr

I originally took this because he was wearing a very ugly sweater but turned it black and white because that ray of light is an unslightly purple flare.

Edit: Took this one around the same time, but it is cropped extensively.

Waiting by Cacator, on Flickr

Edit 2: One more from the same city.

Cine Sex by Cacator, on Flickr

Cacator fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 17, 2012

Dick Danger
Oct 13, 2010

Gee Gee Baby Baby

LargeHadron posted:

Since you're new I don't want this to get passed up. It's not the most engaging shot because your subject isn't doing anything interesting and she's turned away. However, treating this not as a street shot but more as a portrait, I like the element of mystery caused by her strange clothing and the fact that she is looking away. Also, you did a good job including her supposed line of sight down the pathway. But there isn't really anything going on down the pathway that captures my imagination, so I don't think it's very successful in that regard either. I think you could have also backed up a bit and included more of her body. The way she's cut off in various places looks strange to me. Lastly, did you shoot this on Auto (if you did, start learning Manual)? The subject is tough to expose correctly because of the black/white clothing, and it looks as though your camera metered off of the black and overexposed the picture a little. If you shot in RAW you can fix this easily in Lightroom or your camera's proprietary RAW-editing software.

Thanks for the input. I can definitely see how something more interesting down the line of sight could have really made this, I've even been looking around town for something to work with if I ever repeat a shot like this. As for whether I shot auto, this was actually shot full manual. I make a habit of not shooting anything but manual when I'm out practicing, I feel like I learn more that way. I wasn't shooting RAW, though, my card at the time was too small.
Also, sorry for a huge newbie question here but: What do you mean by 'metered off'? What should I be looking out for if I ever have to shoot someone clad in black and white?

Here's something new, I figured I'd play with my new 50mm by doing some night shooting that I previously couldn't pull off with my kit lens. My major concern with this shot is the light just above the man's head looking a little obnoxious bouncing off the window below it.

Yellow Line by dick town, on Flickr

Cacator posted:

Edit 2: One more from the same city.

Cine Sex by Cacator, on Flickr
I really really love the colours in this and especially how crisp all the signage looks. What time of day was this taken?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Dick Danger posted:

What do you mean by 'metered off'? What should I be looking out for if I ever have to shoot someone clad in black and white?

Here's something new, I figured I'd play with my new 50mm by doing some night shooting that I previously couldn't pull off with my kit lens. My major concern with this shot is the light just above the man's head looking a little obnoxious bouncing off the window below it.

Yellow Line by dick town, on Flickr

This one is a lot better! I like how even though it's pretty busy, there is still a clear line leading to the subject. I would maybe play around with cropping off one or both of the dark sides. Maybe not though. As for your question, metering is when your camera tells you how light or dark the area of the scene you are pointed at looks. It's how you decide on the ISO, shutter, and (maybe less so) aperture. Do you ever find that you'll set up a shot, check your meter (I don't know anything about your camera, but is there a meter with something like -1EV 0EV +1EV when you look through the lens?) and fire, the picture for some reason looks too bright or dark? That's because the camera is only choosing one part of the image, usually the very center but it's often configurable, to work with. So if you have a subject wearing a black shirt and white pants, if you point the camera at the shirt, your camera will tell you you need a 1/15s shutter, and the rest of the photo will be blown out. If you point at the white pants, your camera will tell you you need a 1/200s shutter, and the rest of the photo will be dark. It takes a lot of practice to learn exactly what you should point at when choosing your settings (or in other words, what you should meter off of). My camera has something called Live View which shows you in the viewfinder approximately what the resulting image will look like at the given settings. This feature has actually stunted my growth as a photographer, which I learned once I bought a film camera and ended up with a shitton of over/underexposed negatives. Check out this book. It gives some good advice on how to meter for a variety of light situations and there are some pretty pictures to look at too.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Dick Danger posted:

I really really love the colours in this and especially how crisp all the signage looks. What time of day was this taken?

Thanks! According to my EXIF info, approximately 8:45 PM.

Sinaasappelsap
May 24, 2007

There was an Anti-Stop and Frisk March in NYC. Folks gathered in Harlem and silently marched down 5th avenue. I was there with my mom's coworkers. I shot both digital and film but I was super happy with some of my film shots since I was working with a broken/jammed focus ring - the focusing looks very odd in some photos. I am planning on rescanning these since they were scanned at 72dpi.

SilentMarchAgainstStopandFrisk_f-54 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

SilentMarchAgainstStopandFrisk_f-51 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

SilentMarchAgainstStopandFrisk_f-47 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

SilentMarchAgainstStopandFrisk_f-30 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

SilentMarchAgainstStopandFrisk_f-55 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

SilentMarchAgainstStopandFrisk_f-61 by Sharese Ann Frederick, on Flickr

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Hah, I recognize the Gerechtigkeitsgasse. Coffee at Hotel Belle Epoque is great fyi.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

NYC sometime in April, the two shutter pinholes ruined a lot of pictures but I liked what it caused in this one at least.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012
More color street stuff lately. Starting to really dig it ever since I started looking at Saul Leiter and now I'm a bit stuck on it.

Mosaic Music by SirWyeth, on Flickr

Wyeth fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 23, 2012

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

DSC03206 by dtloken, on Flickr

Policeman doing policeman stuff.

DSC03030 by dtloken, on Flickr

Sort of a street.

DSC03181 by dtloken, on Flickr

Nice day for a bike ride.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 24, 2012

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Wyeth posted:

More color street stuff lately. Starting to really dig it ever since I started looking at Saul Leiter and now I'm a bit stuck on it.

This is amazing.

Dick Danger
Oct 13, 2010

Gee Gee Baby Baby
This is super cool, it brings back a lot of memories of cities I've traveled to. I remember seeing some similar scenes last time I was in Melbourne and wanting to get a shot like this but failing completely, you really made this work though. I think the city in the background is the icing on the cake.
The colours in this are nice, and I hope you don't mind me saying so but the composition irks me a little. I'm not sure whether it's the fact that the cyclist is hugging the right edge there, or the dude with the stroller on the left, or a combination of both. Probably both, they sort of look like bookends except there's nothing really interesting inbetween then.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, I thought he was sort of far off to the edge myself, trying to get moving cyclists with a NEX + 135mm MF lens is tricky. Here is another one from roughly the same spot, it's a bit busy I think:

DSC03178 by dtloken, on Flickr

Perhaps I need to reconsider the bike path.

DSC03109 by dtloken, on Flickr

More bikes. Lake Michigan in the Summer is such an incredibly beautiful place, especially in Chicago. Why does it have to have such godawful poo poo weather for 6-7 months a year.

Being new at this, taking pictures of people randomly on the street kind of weirds me out still, I took nearly 300 pictures yesterday and came out with maybe a dozen or so that I liked. I don't think I got many/any good photos with the 28mm lens. I like my 50mm and especially the 135mm for this stuff. All in all it's still fun learning, plus walking 8 miles across Chicago is good exercise.

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

Stop
, on Flickr

Victoria
, on Flickr

Walking by
, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

This is great, his posture is identical to that of the streetlight man. Was it really some random dude or did you have a friend pose for you? Not that it matters, it's still cool either way.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Same poo poo, different day.

DSC01447 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

DSC01451 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

DSC01453 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

DSC01456 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Wyeth posted:

This is good.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

Krakkles posted:

This is amazing.

Saint Fu posted:

This is good.

Thank you. I struggled a lot with the crop, go in tight and it has a certain interesting character, but then you lose the diagonals of the sidewalk and the tree shadow as an anchor. I went back and forth quite a bit on it. It looks cool in black and white as well but just not the same.

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

LargeHadron posted:

This is great, his posture is identical to that of the streetlight man. Was it really some random dude or did you have a friend pose for you? Not that it matters, it's still cool either way.

Random dude. I'd been waiting at that junction for a while, and I got lucky and got the shot.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Cracow, Holga 135.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

nemoulette posted:

Cracow, Holga 135.

I think I'd love this shot if that dead wall on the right wasn't eating up the frame, it feels a bit lopsided like it's trying to lead me somewhere that doesn't exist.The grain and shutter speed are perfect and I like the tones of the building. Cool top hat bro ;)

widunder
May 2, 2002

Wyeth posted:

I think I'd love this shot if that dead wall on the right wasn't eating up the frame, it feels a bit lopsided like it's trying to lead me somewhere that doesn't exist.The grain and shutter speed are perfect and I like the tones of the building. Cool top hat bro ;)
Actually composing with the Holga is... difficult. But thanks :)

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I like this, but the color is screwed up. His face looks like a zombie's.

Edit: looking at it further it seems like everyone's face is like that, and that the image is a little too blue. If you can get that out while maintaining the desaturated look your film has going it'll be great (I just assumed this is film, if it's not that's great it'll be even easier to manipulate).

widunder
May 2, 2002
Berlin

widunder
May 2, 2002
Got some old stuff together.

Buenos Aires

Valparaiso

La Paz

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

Emirates Greenwich Peninsula. by Clwn, on Flickr

Emirates Royal Docks. by Clwn, on Flickr

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

Awkward Davies posted:

I like this, but the color is screwed up. His face looks like a zombie's.

Edit: looking at it further it seems like everyone's face is like that, and that the image is a little too blue. If you can get that out while maintaining the desaturated look your film has going it'll be great (I just assumed this is film, if it's not that's great it'll be even easier to manipulate).

Tweaked colour balance a bit to compensate for the cast -

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

DSC01717 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

DSC01599 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

LargeHadron fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 7, 2012

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

sing it by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

on the bus by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

Busker and girl at Cuba, on Flickr

mes
Apr 28, 2006

NFE_006019 by jemuelb, on Flickr

Street photography, right guys? :buddy:

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

widunder
May 2, 2002
Cracow

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I probably have a crush on super wide angles and saturated colors at the moment...

Metalslug
Jul 17, 2002

...rather well, as it turned out. One night at a keg beer party I was offered a marijuana joint.
My first attempts. :unsmith:

Fruit seller by alangrainger, on Flickr

Next move by alangrainger, on Flickr

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

j.peeba posted:

I probably have a crush on super wide angles and saturated colors at the moment...

Where was the 3rd photo taken?

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

s0meb0dy0 posted:

Where was the 3rd photo taken?

Barcelona?

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Wyeth posted:

Barcelona?

Correct. On top of the Montjuic Castle, to be precise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...