Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I cant say that Ive ever wanted to go to iceland but drat now its on my list of places to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I've been doing some urban landscapes/skyscapes recently. This is really the first time I've tried anything like this, I'd love to hear some feedback.

grace by thetzar, on Flickr

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

one wtc by thetzar, on Flickr

There are a couple more to be seen here.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

DSC02955 by dtloken, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Oh man, I wish those people weren't there.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Holy poo poo. I love this.

I had to double check that I wasn't in the awesome photos thread. I actually like the inclusion of the people. It's as if they're at war with the entanglement of shapes, colours and geometric oddities, forcing you back into a sense of reality. There's just a beautiful sense of balance at play throughout the entire photo. Excellent work.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 22, 2012

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Windy Day at Cinque Terre by Andrew Wong MPLS, on Flickr

Just got back from Italy Saturday and my first outing with my new camera/lenses.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Here's the view from the top!

P1060513 by fuglsnef, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

aliencowboy posted:

Holy poo poo. I love this.

I had to double check that I wasn't in the awesome photos thread. I actually like the inclusion of the people. It's as if they're at war with the entanglement of shapes, colours and geometric oddities, forcing you back into a sense of reality. There's just a beautiful sense of balance at play throughout the entire photo. Excellent work.

Thanks, the entire constructed space for the US track+field Olympic trials is insane, Nike put a lot into it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

A couple shots I got on my trip through South Africa. Still here, and only doing post on photos as I get free time, I'm about 700 images behind right now, in any case, here are two* I really like.

*Here's the same shot but portrait oriented, not sure which I like best.

Sunrise over the bush-veldt.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

titanium posted:

Windy Day at Cinque Terre by Andrew Wong MPLS, on Flickr

Just got back from Italy Saturday and my first outing with my new camera/lenses.

this is beautiful, can't wait to visit Cinque Terre, wonderful colors and composition!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

David Pratt posted:

Here's the view from the top!

P1060513 by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Hahahah that rules.

Here's a bunch more from Iceland:

Midnight Sun by hookshot88, on Flickr

Puffins by hookshot88, on Flickr

Hnjotur by hookshot88, on Flickr

Westfjords by hookshot88, on Flickr

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Nice shot. NZ is on my list for shooting :)

I like the inclusion of the campfire in this, not something you see in too many landscapes. I'd prefer it if it was a little bit less centred and the rocks around it weren't partially cut out of the frame, but that's just a small issue. Overall, great shot. Out of curiosity, from a technical perspective, what did you do to prevent the fire overexposing? Is it a composite of multiple exposures or did you manage to capture it all in one shot?

I've picked up a new toy this weekend - D800 finally in my hands. Nearly all I shoot is landscape and this is my dream camera for it... :) Now I just need to get insurance on it and figure out how to use it and get shooting. (Coming from Canon, so the useability of Nikon is very different to me.)

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Kujaroth posted:

Nice shot. NZ is on my list for shooting :)

I like the inclusion of the campfire in this, not something you see in too many landscapes. I'd prefer it if it was a little bit less centred and the rocks around it weren't partially cut out of the frame, but that's just a small issue. Overall, great shot. Out of curiosity, from a technical perspective, what did you do to prevent the fire overexposing? Is it a composite of multiple exposures or did you manage to capture it all in one shot?

Yeah I was not super happy with how I was able to frame it but I was pretty limited with how I could make it work, oh well!

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Went to The Great Wall of China Silent Hill today.

Great Wall of China by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Love this! I think the focus is perfect the way it is - although I agree with the previous comment about maybe lightening up the darkest areas to give it more of a warm/summery feel.

Your shots remind me that I neeeeeeed to go back to Iceland in the summer. Also, how close are you to the puffins in shots like this? What focal length are you shooting at? Just curious for possible future Iceland puffin adventures :D

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Gambl0r posted:

Your shots remind me that I neeeeeeed to go back to Iceland in the summer. Also, how close are you to the puffins in shots like this? What focal length are you shooting at? Just curious for possible future Iceland puffin adventures :D

Thanks! We went to Latrabjarg cliffs specifically so that we could get close to puffins. They don't hunt them there, so the puffins let you get a few meters away as opposed to somewhere like the Westman Islands. Plus because it's like 400km from Reykjavik I'm assuming there's a lot fewer tourists than Westman Islands (there were about a dozen in the evening, and by the time midnight rolled around we were literally the only ones there). A lot of my closeup shots were taken when I was 2-ish meters from the puffins.

Almost all of the shots I took were with the 70-200 (but I do actually have some that were just 18-55), the specific shot you linked to was taken at 149mm.

slothmeister
May 25, 2011
Had a week off last week and was invited down to stay in St. Ives in Cornwall. Unfortunately the weather wasn't particularly great and was mainly grey and overcast for a lot of the days so didn't take as many shots as i was hoping.

Here's a selection of my best:

Stormy Rocks 2 by Adam Bolwell, on Flickr

Stormy Rocks by Adam Bolwell, on Flickr

St Ives Chapel At Sunset by Adam Bolwell, on Flickr

St Ives Sunset 1 by Adam Bolwell, on Flickr

Godrevy Lighthouse B&W by Adam Bolwell, on Flickr

Godrevy Lighouse From Cliff by Adam Bolwell, on Flickr

Chapel Storm by Adam Bolwell, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I love these shots, great color and interesting skyscapes.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

woaaah i love this.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Do these count as landscapes? I'm not sure.

escapes one by thetzar, on Flickr

escapes two by thetzar, on Flickr

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Yes, and I like them.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Work great as triptychs.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
hi i went to iceland also

Dettifoss by RHITMrB, on Flickr

Gošafoss by RHITMrB, on Flickr

Arnarstapi by RHITMrB, on Flickr

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MrBlandAverage posted:

uhhhh, Prometheus?

this looks incredible by the way.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 25, 2012

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
:swoon:

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I've seen so many absolutely stunning photos from Iceland. Is there a steady stream of beauty everywhere you go there or are you hucking a bit between locations? It's never been on my radar for places to go but after having seen so many fantastic photos and asking "where was that" and hearing "Iceland" my mind is shifting.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Those are awesome MrBlandAverage, I love Arnarstapi in particular! Hotwax residue, yours are amazing too, I love them all!

titanium posted:

I've seen so many absolutely stunning photos from Iceland. Is there a steady stream of beauty everywhere you go there or are you hucking a bit between locations? It's never been on my radar for places to go but after having seen so many fantastic photos and asking "where was that" and hearing "Iceland" my mind is shifting.
It's basically like that everywhere you go. Of course you're not always going to get a Geysir or Dettifoss everywhere, but for example a LOT of my photos were taken while driving in between destinations, just along the side of the road.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
We went up a mountain to see in the near-solstice sunrise.

P1100412.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

P1100429.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

175/366 - Epic Alex Silhouette II by fuglsnef, on Flickr

P1100450.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

176/366 - Another misty morning by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Here's a thing

beach 012 by HezzyUK, on Flickr

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

MMD3 posted:

uhhhh, Prometheus?

Exactly what I was going to say

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
That first scene in Prometheus was in fact shot at Dettifoss! I knew I recognized it when I saw the movie and when the following scene was labeled 'Ireland', it confused me. When I got home I had to search and confirm it was Iceland :D

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

MrBlandAverage posted:

Gošafoss by RHITMrB, on Flickr

Arnarstapi by RHITMrB, on Flickr

God, a 4x5 slide must be a loving thing to behold in person.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Saint Fu - thanks for the Mount Hua recommendation, I really liked Xi'an, that city is going to be insane in 5-10 years at the rate it/the area is going

Hua Shan by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Xi'an City Wall by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Xi'an City Wall by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

If I ever encountered air quality like Beijing back in Canada I'd be thinking "Oh poo poo, forest fire nearby"

Forbidden Palace by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

MMD3 posted:

uhhhh, Prometheus?

Thanks!

titanium posted:

The very most dramatic stuff is all separated by some distance but there's incredible stuff everywhere you look.

David Pratt posted:

We went up a mountain to see in the near-solstice sunrise.

P1100412.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

P1100429.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

175/366 - Epic Alex Silhouette II by fuglsnef, on Flickr

P1100450.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

176/366 - Another misty morning by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Snęfellsjökull?

whereismyshoe posted:

God, a 4x5 slide must be a loving thing to behold in person.

It makes me want to shoot 8x10 slide :lsd:

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

MrBlandAverage posted:

Snęfellsjökull?

Yep :v:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
More Iceland landscapes.

Nįmafjall by RHITMrB, on Flickr

Untitled by RHITMrB, on Flickr

Sea Cave by RHITMrB, on Flickr

Untitled by RHITMrB, on Flickr

...and another view of Dettifoss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Didn't go to Iceland this summer, cause my gf wanted sun. So we went to Greece instead.

IMG_8345 by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

IMG_8848 by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

IMG_8514 by like okay cool dude, on Flickr

IMG_8581 by like okay cool dude, on Flickr