Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

Sometimes it's the little things that make all the difference... I bought a set of Harbor Freight 12" files to use in my woodworking shop. Not only are they larger than my previous files but they cut better, faster and the size makes them easier to use. At $6.32 w/ a 20% off coupon, I'm going to buy another set: one for wood, one for metal.

For all the poo poo people give Harbor Freight for their tool quality, their hand tools really are pretty decent. I've never actually tried it myself, but I hear they have a Craftsman-style lifetime replacement policy as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some of their hand tools are decent. I have a ratchet from them I really like, but I also have a set of offset box end wrenches that are baaaarely in spec enough to work on bolts of the marked size without immediately rounding corners.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
I love my harbor freight 1/2" swivel head ratchet, i recommend it to everyone.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Their chain wrenches are also badass.

However, I snapped the handle off of some wire cutters, then needle-nose pliers, then lineman's pliers in about an hour or so. Just cutting 12/3 romex, and the handle broke on all three just below the joint. I've also broken their slip-joint pliers on the jaw side of the lower jaw next to the joint. Their metal is either really brittle, or I'm just some kind of beast with vise-like hands.

I've never broken any of the Craftsman, Klein, Ideal, Kobalt, or Husky equivalents, though, doing the same kind of work.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Got my Porter Cable 4212 dovetail joiner in the mail the other week and finally got a chance to use it.

First of all, the thing came totally assembled in the box, and all you have to do is screw-nail it to a work surface and you're good to go. The unit is mostly constructed from stamped and bent metal, which surprised me, but after thinking about it, machined metal wouldn't really add much to the unit except cost. The jig feels well made, and I don't see any parts that would wear out in the near future with regular use. While it is well made, it is definitely not a professional model. The Porter Cable Omni Jig apparently is, but it seems anyone who does this for a living uses Leigh jigs. This unit comes with two jigs, two guide/template collars, and two 1/2" bits. Going for the 2216 version ($40 more) gives you another jig to do mini-dovetails and and an additional two bits. It's well worth the price as the jig alone costs more than that. I didn't see a need to do mini dovetails, so I just opted for the 4212.

The manual is decent, but could definitely benefit from some larger/more detailed pictures. Overall, I could tell exactly what they were trying to say. The only gripe I have with the system is that the offset guide isn't self leveling, and depends on your vertical piece to give it a true positioning. So if your chop saw isn't cutting 100% square, you might have issues!

This unit requires a router that will take the template guides and 1/2" bits. I had a router that took the circular guides (seen here) but didn't take 1/2" bits. I needed a new router.

Normally I try and shy away from Mastercraft. They're known for making stuff that's cheap and cheap. My dad got a biscuit joiner that can't make two identical cuts to save it's life, and a chop saw that's probably never made a 90 degree cut. This time I went that route for a few reasons.

This is a 12A plunge router that takes 1/2" and 1/4", and it has the appropriate mounting for the Porter Cable guides/templates. Plus it's $99 on sale. I looked at some other ones like Porter Cable, DeWalt, Rigid, Bosch, and King, but this was the only one that had everything I wanted, for under $200. The Rigid was a close second as it was on sale for $150 and had both the plunge and fixed bases, but it required an adapter for the Porter Cable guide, which was selling for $50. . . driving the price over $200.

The Mastercraft has a Soft-Start which is nice! Like really nice! There is an ~3 second delay before the bit gets to full speed, so no more jumping in your hand every time you turn it on, and apparently this feature is easier on the motor as well. What I really liked were the three LED lights that shine down on your work. Everything is clear, easy to see, and no more sticking my nose into he stream of chips to see what I'm doing. This unit comes with a straight edge guide and another bottom, and a chip guard so you can stick your face in the line of fire without getting wood chips up your nose.

The only downside to this unit is the typical Mastercraft gripe. . . accuracy/precision. The guides and guards that tell you how far you've just lowered the router are not the best, and the presets seem to be off ever-so-slightly. If you're doing something that requires an exact depth, don't go by the gauges on the router alone, get a ruler or a micrometer/depth gauge (non a Mastercraft micrometer/depth gauge). Other than that, everything seems to be fine, and this unit seems to have ample power for both soft and hardwoods. I cut some white ash and it didn't even seem to slow it any. It has a digital display on top that tells you the RPMs and even has buttons to allow you to adjust them. I just left it at max RPMs as it seemed to like cutting at that speed. I don't know how accurate that readout is, and how well you can control the speed, but it seemed to get faster and slower in discernible increments when adjusting it.

So how did the two perform together? Well I took some scrap pine to test a 1/2 blind dovetail and it did a perfect join first try! I took a rubber mallet and a hunk of scrap and tapped it together, and there were no gaps. I then tried two scraps of thinner ash and had to do some adjusting. If you're always doing the exact same thicknesses of wood you'll be fine once you get things set. As soon as you change thicknesses (even a mm or two) you have to recalibrate everything. As soon as I got it set up for the new thickness I made a perfect White ash box that I hammered together. Not a drop of glue because there wasn't any room for it!

Can't wait to get started on some real projects.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
For the Norwegians out there, Maxbo is selling the Fein MultiMaster Select Plus kit for 1990,- which is like a third off or something. I coun't resist, especially as I'm about a third of the way through renovating my entire apartment and I can see parquet in my near future.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Not sure if this is the right thread for it..

I have a thin steel project box that is supposed to house a USB gadget. I would like to either punch through the steel or drill a hole and put a thin piece of (punched/cut) plastic in there. Either way I need a rectangular cutout to fit a USB Mini-B receptacle:

The best thing I have been able to find so far is a 6mm x 3mm rectangular hole puncher but that's just a bit too small. Any recommendations on where I might find a more suitable tool ?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Cross_ posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for it..

I have a thin steel project box that is supposed to house a USB gadget. I would like to either punch through the steel or drill a hole and put a thin piece of (punched/cut) plastic in there. Either way I need a rectangular cutout to fit a USB Mini-B receptacle:

The best thing I have been able to find so far is a 6mm x 3mm rectangular hole puncher but that's just a bit too small. Any recommendations on where I might find a more suitable tool ?

Make a jig and dremel it?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

stubblyhead posted:

Make a jig and dremel it?

He will have to cut a hole in a sheet of metal the size and shape of a mini-usb port for this jig you propose. I'd suggest that he use a jig fashioned from sheet metal and cut with a dremel tool to make the jig he needs. To make that jig, he will have to cut a hole in a sheet of metal the size and shape of a mini-usb port. The jig to make that one should be made using a metal stamper the exact size and shape of a mini-usb port. The metal stamp could be fashioned using a CNC mill. To use that CNC mill you'll have to fashion a thin steel project box with a mini-usb port interface.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
If you're just doing one then best is probably to drill out the bulk of the area and get busy with some small files.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
My wife and I just got back from my honeymoon and opened up our wedding gifts. Mixed in with all of the china, linens, picture frames, etc. was a Dewalt reciprocating saw from one of my groomsmen. Best wedding gift ever :)

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

Cpt.Wacky posted:

If you're just doing one then best is probably to drill out the bulk of the area and get busy with some small files.

Yes, get old school with it and drill the hole and finish with a file. If the sheet metal is too flimsy to file you can also use a dremel to finish if you trace your opening and cut to the line with a steady hand.

Chauncey fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 27, 2012

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

The Human Cow posted:

My wife and I just got back from my honeymoon and opened up our wedding gifts. Mixed in with all of the china, linens, picture frames, etc. was a Dewalt reciprocating saw from one of my groomsmen. Best wedding gift ever :)

One of my captains bought me a Makita lithium ion four piece set... Best. wedding. present. ever.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

The Human Cow posted:

My wife and I have done that for every wedding we've been to in the last ten or twelve years. We buy the coolest tool they have registered for. If the registered tools suck, then we either buy them a kick rear end tool if we know generally what they have or, if we don't, we buy a big box gift card with the comment line stating "for a power tool only!" It makes me happy to make a groom's day when they open wedding gifts. And my wife's cool with it since she is into DIY too.

Everyone do this, you will make your friends as happy as The Human Cow is in this post.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I've only been to cash weddings so far but I'm definitely remembering that little tidbit for if one of my friends decides to use a traditional gift registry.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
I liked all the knives and the big Kenwood mixer, but the best present was when my work colleagues bought me a Bosch blue cordless drill. I was stupid and didn't put any tools on the list. Turns out my colleagues knew me better than I did. My groomsmen were kicking themselves.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Yeah..no. I was thinking around 50 pieces. I will see if there are any machine shops that can just use lasercutting/waterjets to make me some baseplates with the appropriate cutouts.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Cross_ posted:

Yeah..no. I was thinking around 50 pieces. I will see if there are any machine shops that can just use lasercutting/waterjets to make me some baseplates with the appropriate cutouts.

If you haven't bought the boxes yet, and you're in North America, Bud Industries will do custom cutouts in their stuff. Custom paint, too.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does it have to be the exact shape of the mini usb port? It seems like the external housings usually have a larger cutout and rely on the connector on the circuit board to hold the cord.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
It does not have to be the exact shape- I would be happy just having a nicely cut/punched 8mm x 4mm rectangle and ignore the tiny curves at the bottom. I tried using a simple hole punch for arts&crafts projects and that did the job except they do not make them larger than 6mm x 3mm - just a bit too small.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

Laser Cow posted:

For the Norwegians out there, Maxbo is selling the Fein MultiMaster Select Plus kit for 1990,- which is like a third off or something. I coun't resist, especially as I'm about a third of the way through renovating my entire apartment and I can see parquet in my near future.
It's a quite common offer, several shops have it regularly.

Ideally you'd get the Top Plus package for 500 NOK more. You get a vacuum attachment, more blades and more sanding options. Easily worth the extra 500. The vacuum rig means you can sand indoors without messing the house up.

http://www.k-hservice.no/d4YP6n,d4ZOCT-tRJ6lU2Nl3OCT-tRJ6o5mr6ZM.idium

Brimmstone
Mar 10, 2007

GO CRAZY, FOLKS! GO CRAZY!
Unfortunately the Sears Hardware store closest to me is closing. On the upside, I grabbed this blower/vac (http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-12-amp-electric-blower-and-vacuum/p-07174899000P?&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=L1) for 20% off. After my B&D Leaf Hog crapped the bed, I've been getting pretty tired of using the ole push broom to clear my driveway after mowing/trimming. Hopefully it will work well enough for my light usage.

I wonder if Sears/Craftsman will even stick around through 2012...

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

Sold 200 of these monsters at work. Bosch GDS 30, 1" drive electric impact. Weighs about 16 pounds.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Figured I would mirror my SA mart thread here.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502356

I am looking for a decent ratchet wrench set to fix some bicycles and just to have one. I make leather wallets and can make you a fully customizable wallet for the set.

I am only bartering, no cash here, but I figure I will catch the right guy who needs a good durable wallet and has some old tools to spare.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

philkop posted:

Figured I would mirror my SA mart thread here.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502356

I am looking for a decent ratchet wrench set to fix some bicycles and just to have one. I make leather wallets and can make you a fully customizable wallet for the set.

I am only bartering, no cash here, but I figure I will catch the right guy who needs a good durable wallet and has some old tools to spare.

I run a bike service shop and only use my socket wrench for really stuck fasteners and for crank bolts. 98% of the time I use a cheap set of Harbor Freight open/box wrenches. Cheap, gets the job done

CrackyMcZap
Oct 17, 2004

Do you guys have any idea how much kinetic energy a pound of tannerite has?

Just picked this up today off craigslist. Delta/Rockwell 10" 1/3 horsepower, tilting table and all. $75. Reasonable deal I hope? Just using it for some light to medium hobby wood.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets

dwoloz posted:

I run a bike service shop and only use my socket wrench for really stuck fasteners and for crank bolts. 98% of the time I use a cheap set of Harbor Freight open/box wrenches. Cheap, gets the job done

Cool. Thanks for the advice, I will expand my thread to include those, but for a non custom, whatever I feel like making at the moment wallet. Wrenches will get the job done, but My car needs some work as well and the ratchet makes it a hell of a lot easier.

E Thanks man, I didn't want to reply and derail the thread. I will be shipping soon!.
|
|
V

philkop fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 21, 2012

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

While I don't have any tools to barter, I did look at your wallets you make and ordered one. Hope those funds help on your quest for socket wrenches n such.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
What does variable speed control buy you on an orbital sander? I was going to buy one for some basic woodworking (refinishing furniture) next weekend and the price delta for variable speed is $15, but I don't know what you can do extra with varying speed.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hed posted:

What does variable speed control buy you on an orbital sander? I was going to buy one for some basic woodworking (refinishing furniture) next weekend and the price delta for variable speed is $15, but I don't know what you can do extra with varying speed.

Being able to go at slower speeds is sometimes good when using aggressive grit paper on thick finishes that you are trying to remove. That way it doesn't heat up the work surface as much and the dust doesn't bake to the paper and ruin it faster than normal.

Other than that, I've got nothing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Hed posted:

Go for the variable speed if the difference is only $15. I don't have it but there are times when I want less aggressive sanding like with thin veneers.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
I'm looking to buy end cut pliers/nippers that can cut flush to the surface (specifically for cutting spokes that stick out too far into a bicycle rim). Having an anvil style cutter and a removable fulcrum bolt would be a plus. Any recommendations?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

dwoloz posted:

I'm looking to buy end cut pliers/nippers that can cut flush to the surface (specifically for cutting spokes that stick out too far into a bicycle rim). Having an anvil style cutter and a removable fulcrum bolt would be a plus. Any recommendations?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Pullers,_nippers,_sizing/Fret_Cutter.html
or
http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=Fretting&NameProdHeader=End+or+Fret+Cutters

Although if anyone knows of a less expensive version, I'd be interested too.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Those look nice. They both say not to use with stainless though and that's primarily what I'd be cutting. Bah!

These are the specific tool for the job but are 60 bucks http://www.cswestbikes.com/servlet/the-52472/Hozan-Spoke-Cutter-spoke-dsh-end/Detail

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

dwoloz posted:

Those look nice. They both say not to use with stainless though and that's primarily what I'd be cutting. Bah!

These are the specific tool for the job but are 60 bucks http://www.cswestbikes.com/servlet/the-52472/Hozan-Spoke-Cutter-spoke-dsh-end/Detail

That's one of those tools where you should probably just suck it up and pay the asking price. Any other tool not purpose-built is going to do the job poorly, and probably break in the process. It doesn't take many broken cheap tools to equal the cost of the right tool.

I have a pair of reversible lock wire pliers (for twisting stainless steel safety wire, used a lot on aircraft) that cost me $110. Worth every last penny. I broke three cheap sets at $20 a pop - in less than three months - and finally just gave in. The good ones have been going strong for over four years now, and with their lifetime warranty, even if I happen to break them I'm still ahead of the game.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Anyone have decent plans for a miter saw station?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

sky shark posted:

Anyone have decent plans for a miter saw station?

Haven't built it but I'm partial to Woodsmith's.

http://www.woodsmithshop.com/download/311/mitersawstation.pdf

This one is similar but on a mobile base:
http://mikefromwinton.com/mtrsaw.html

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I'm thinking about buying my dad a mitre saw for Christmas, he has been fixing up his house for the last 15 years or so and has a marked aversion to spending money on tools (He's still using hand tools he inherited fro his dad) He doesn't have a mitre saw, at least not a powered one, and I was wondering if this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-1110-Watt-Compound-Mitre/dp/B003KGB0QO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346386251&sr=8-1
was likely to be any good?
A caveat: his house is largely made of oak (and cow poo poo) would this saw cope with, for instance, making a staircase out of aged oak boards?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I saw this orange thing on Youtube and want one. The guy just called it a parallelogram but my google-fu is failing me, where can I buy one? I suppose I could make one from Popsicle sticks or something but it looks like it would be cheap.

Semi-related question, I've been thinking of building a new router table and my research led me to the Woodrat, Router Boss, and horizontal routers. Anyone here ever use any of these alternatives to traditional tables?

http://youtu.be/AemWj6tq79g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrPete
May 17, 2007
I think I want to buy one just on the strength of the guy doing the videos. Seldom come across such well done tutorials for products.

Edit: I just found that yes you can buy the parallelogram. Go to the online store, and it's in the spare parts section

MrPete fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 2, 2012