Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Looks like the Evo LTE is having issues with Google Wallet. A little early to get stung for grabbing a non-nexus device, don't you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Duckman2008 posted:

Air rave. And it's had an issue or two, but overll I would recommend it. It's free, I have one and mine works fine as well. And if you have texting problems, switch to google voice integration that gets text messages through the Internet and that will fix the problem.

I can vouch for this. I was having awful problems sending and receiving text messages at work. Google voice integration completely knocked these problems out so I'd highly recommend trying it (particularly on Sprint).

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does anybody know what kind of LED the SGS3 has? I was sorely disappointed with the red/blue LED in the SGS2 so I'm hoping this one has more color options.
RGB this time around :)

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

datajosh posted:

I've never been so excited for a phone before. Now if Sprint would just ship those preorders already :mad:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I don't have all of the details, but there are rumors that, at the very least, the 32gb SGS3 is being delayed. Not sure if that will affect the 16gb version coming out on Thursday.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I've never been so excited for a phone before. Now if Sprint would just ship those preorders already :mad:
I wish I could get one but I think I'm going to stick with my SGS2 until I'm actually upgrade eligible or our contract runs out and both dates are a year out still. :(

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Entire Universe posted:

Looks like the Evo LTE is having issues with Google Wallet. A little early to get stung for grabbing a non-nexus device, don't you think?

The XDA threads are putting the issue on Google shutting down the service for an undetermined amount of time until they work some things out. My issue with this is that I don't remember if I activated Google Wallet. I can't flash any roms without deactivating Google Wallet first, because the secure element will lock itself out otherwise.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FogHelmut posted:

The XDA threads are putting the issue on Google shutting down the service for an undetermined amount of time until they work some things out. My issue with this is that I don't remember if I activated Google Wallet. I can't flash any roms without deactivating Google Wallet first, because the secure element will lock itself out otherwise.

I don't seem to be having troubles running the app and readying the card for purchase on my GNex. Is it just that Google is locking out the LTE until the issues can be worked out, explaining the build.prop hack?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Not that anybody else in this thread pre-ordered the SGS3, but here is confirmation of the delay

quote:

Wirefly has informed us that Sprint has informed them that the Samsung Galaxy S III release date has been delayed from June 21st until June 28th for unspecified reasons. The delay apparently affects all retailers, both online and in-store, which means the device won’t be touching down anywhere physical until June 28th.

Sprint says that the 16GB version will be available online on June 21st. It says that it’s “optimistic” that it will be shipping out pre-orders in time for the June 21st release. It says that it may be a day or two late. 32GB Galaxy S III pre-orders won’t ship out until next week.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Entire Universe posted:

I don't seem to be having troubles running the app and readying the card for purchase on my GNex. Is it just that Google is locking out the LTE until the issues can be worked out, explaining the build.prop hack?

Yes, that is what I got from the XDA.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FogHelmut posted:

Yes, that is what I got from the XDA.

Huh. Wonder what those issues might be if they had to block the device altogether.

I really would like to see a post-mortem and find out what the issue is. Hope there's something out there when they fix it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

datajosh posted:

I wish I could get one but I think I'm going to stick with my SGS2 until I'm actually upgrade eligible or our contract runs out and both dates are a year out still. :(
I'm more interested in when Sprint is actually lighting up their LTE network.

WiMAX sucks and all, but if you're in WiMAX town and have at least some degree of success with it, the release of the iPhone 4S and now these CDMA/LTE devices isn't helping their EVDO network in the least. While these new devices certainly look fun, I'd be quite comfortable sitting on an E4GT for a little while until Sprint has some actual LTE coverage.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm more interested in when Sprint is actually lighting up their LTE network.

WiMAX sucks and all, but if you're in WiMAX town and have at least some degree of success with it, the release of the iPhone 4S and now these CDMA/LTE devices isn't helping their EVDO network in the least. While these new devices certainly look fun, I'd be quite comfortable sitting on an E4GT for a little while until Sprint has some actual LTE coverage.

I don't think I actually mentioned it, but a fun fact with the latest software updates is that Sprint installs software that "self-manages" your radios (you have to click agree). What that means is the phone auto-turns on WiMax and WiFi all the time looking to offset data to 4G and WiFi. I personally find it A. anti-consumer and B. poorly implemented, but Sprint is trying to get people who have WiMax to use it. The problem is that at the end of the day, WiMax ended up sucking and just kills the phone between battery life and poor signal.

I do agree with the questions on actually turning on LTE. Sprint has been very on the ball with the Direct Connect part of network vision, but has been very quiet on LTE unfortunately.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Well, they got this: LTE preview

Initial results on a naked network gave speeds slower than Verizon and ATT with their populated networks. It is looking sad for the backhaul situation. At this point I am wondering if Sprint will ever turn it around. I would get my wife out of Sprint and be done with it entirely, but she just has to be on the network for some reason that isn't worth politicking over.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I gave my OG Evo to my brother, who is still on the $30 SERO plan. Which number should he call to get the Evo activated and switched to the $50 smartphone SERO plan?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

FogHelmut posted:

I gave my OG Evo to my brother, who is still on the $30 SERO plan. Which number should he call to get the Evo activated and switched to the $50 smartphone SERO plan?
1-866-264-1282. That's the direct number to employee care.
Remember, he is to ask for the $40 SERO Premium plan. The extra $10 will be added on automatically when the EVO is activated on the account.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Duckman2008 posted:

I don't think I actually mentioned it, but a fun fact with the latest software updates is that Sprint installs software that "self-manages" your radios (you have to click agree). What that means is the phone auto-turns on WiMax and WiFi all the time looking to offset data to 4G and WiFi. I personally find it A. anti-consumer and B. poorly implemented, but Sprint is trying to get people who have WiMax to use it. The problem is that at the end of the day, WiMax ended up sucking and just kills the phone between battery life and poor signal.

I do agree with the questions on actually turning on LTE. Sprint has been very on the ball with the Direct Connect part of network vision, but has been very quiet on LTE unfortunately.

What!? Do you know what phones this affects? Specifically does it affect the newer LTE phones (Nexus, Evo LTE, GS3)? If I can't even manage my own radios (particularly wifi and LTE) then I'm just done with sprint. My phone is already practically useless due to poor signal so if I can't turn off 4G to salvage battery life then my phone is going to be even more useless.

On a related note, if I'm eligible for an upgrade now (June) then does that mean my contract is up in August?

theNewBlack21
Jun 27, 2008

datajosh posted:

That's not true. It's a pentile matrix not RGB.

theNewBlack21 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 21, 2012

datajosh
May 3, 2002

theNewBlack21 posted:

That's not true. It's a pentile matrix not RGB.
If he was asking about the screen, sure, but that wasn't the question at all. :)

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

tomguycot posted:

What!? Do you know what phones this affects? Specifically does it affect the newer LTE phones (Nexus, Evo LTE, GS3)? If I can't even manage my own radios (particularly wifi and LTE) then I'm just done with sprint. My phone is already practically useless due to poor signal so if I can't turn off 4G to salvage battery life then my phone is going to be even more useless.
Just say no when they ask for permission to manage your network settings.

I've seen the pop up on a few newly powered on or updated phones, but off the top of my head I don't recall which ones.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

tomguycot posted:

Whatever it is, it's opt-in and you can surely disable the app if you don't like it.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

td4guy posted:

Whatever it is, it's opt-in and you can surely disable the app if you don't like it.

Well that's comforting. The way he described it I thought it was only "opt in" in the sense that you had to ok/decline the update prior to installing it (ie: no updates without also installing it).

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Turnquiet posted:

Well, they got this: LTE preview

Initial results on a naked network gave speeds slower than Verizon and ATT with their populated networks. It is looking sad for the backhaul situation. At this point I am wondering if Sprint will ever turn it around. I would get my wife out of Sprint and be done with it entirely, but she just has to be on the network for some reason that isn't worth politicking over.

The speed seems pretty good to me. They got 9-13Mbps. Even if I could get a constant 3Mbps I'd be happy. Sure it isn't as fast as AT&T (the chart shows Sprint's speeds were actually higher than Verizon), but for the price and with unlimited data I'm not going to complain.

theNewBlack21
Jun 27, 2008

datajosh posted:

If he was asking about the screen, sure, but that wasn't the question at all. :)

I fail at reading!

I can't wait for this phone. It looks like the release date was pushed back from June 21st but I can't find anything concrete. I am on Sprint and I pre-ordered from Best Buy mobile... I'm tired of using my 4 year old LG Lotus :(

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

theNewBlack21 posted:

I fail at reading!

I can't wait for this phone. It looks like the release date was pushed back from June 21st but I can't find anything concrete. I am on Sprint and I pre-ordered from Best Buy mobile... I'm tired of using my 4 year old LG Lotus :(

I don't know if BB pushed them all back, but Sprint only delayed the 32gb. I already have a tracking number for my 16 gb SGS3.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't know if BB pushed them all back, but Sprint only delayed the 32gb. I already have a tracking number for my 16 gb SGS3.

Same, my 16gb is close enough now that I might get it tomorrow even though the tracking says 2 day shipping.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tomguycot posted:

Well that's comforting. The way he described it I thought it was only "opt in" in the sense that you had to ok/decline the update prior to installing it (ie: no updates without also installing it).

No, as others will attest here I just am terrible at the English language. I was once asked here if English was my first language. Pretty pathetic.

ZeroAX posted:

The speed seems pretty good to me. They got 9-13Mbps. Even if I could get a constant 3Mbps I'd be happy. Sure it isn't as fast as AT&T (the chart shows Sprint's speeds were actually higher than Verizon), but for the price and with unlimited data I'm not going to complain.

To be fair you cannot compare a at this point moderately saturated network like Verizon's to sprints beta LTE network.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 21, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Duckman2008 posted:

To be fair you cannot compare a at this point moderately saturated network like Verizon's to sprints beta LTE network.

Also, only the download was faster. Verizon's LTE is almost symmetrical which is really nice when it comes to uploading pictures and videos. Combined, Verizon's LTE speeds come out on top on that test.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Apparently you can now change your Sprint phone number via sprint.com

http://community.sprint.com/baw/com...le-on-sprintcom

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Apparently you can now change your Sprint phone number via sprint.com

http://community.sprint.com/baw/com...le-on-sprintcom

Actually to clarify this:

You can now change your phone number for free on sprint.com.

If you go to a store or call in to change it, $15 fee. I honestly don't know enough on this subject to know if the fee is justified or anything (it used to be free).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

Actually to clarify this:

You can now change your phone number for free on sprint.com.

If you go to a store or call in to change it, $15 fee. I honestly don't know enough on this subject to know if the fee is justified or anything (it used to be free).

Does this mean I can change it to any area code I want? :haw:

e: Yes, but it's still a randomly assigned number. :cmon:

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 21, 2012

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Agreed. I'm sure it will only be 3-5 in the real world but I can live with that. I think the article said Sprint is focusing on the low end speeds during high loads which I think is a good thing.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ZeroAX posted:

Agreed. I'm sure it will only be 3-5 in the real world but I can live with that. I think the article said Sprint is focusing on the low end speeds during high loads which I think is a good thing.

Yeah, I too can live with speeds 100x faster than what I am getting on Sprint's lovely EV-DO network.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I have a really weird freaking issue, and I may need to direct it towards one of the Android threads specifically, but figured I'd start here first.

Recently my Evo 3D is refusing to see my wireless network at home. More than that, it's refusing to see pretty much any wireless networks at home. There's normally a good 6 or so of varying signal strengths, but for the last few days, it's like it can't see any of them. I used Wifi Analyzer and the results were.. weird. I'd see a single network pop up on the graph, but only for a second before the signal strength dissipated and it was gone again.

My other wireless devices can see the wireless networks around my house just fine. My phone can see the wireless network where I work just fine. It just has trouble at home. What the gently caress! I am baffled! Toggling wifi off and back on doesn't make a difference, either. Has anybody ever seen anything remotely like this before?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

There appear to be no toggles whatsoever for LTE on the SGS3. Is this an always-on situation and is this going to murder my battery?

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
All Sprint towers are getting gigabit (or in some cases 10 gig) backhaul, which is then provisioned in 50Mbps blocks as needed for the amount of traffic. There will be no backhaul problems and so far towers that are upgraded typically give max CDMA speeds.

Sprint seems to be going for good average speeds consistently, not peak speeds no one will get in the real world.

One of the big things with NV is the dynamic provisioning. They don't have to roll trucks or wait two months for the phone company to turn up T1s when a cell site is overloaded. A few keystrokes (or even an automatic monitor program) can dial up more bandwidth or allocate more CDMA carriers as needed (subject to spectrum). Too much LTE traffic and no one is using CDMA? Just reallocate to add another LTE channel on the fly. That won't help peak speeds (without channel bonding) but it will ensure no one sees any slowdowns.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Vykk.Draygo posted:

There appear to be no toggles whatsoever for LTE on the SGS3. Is this an always-on situation and is this going to murder my battery?

Settings > More settings > Mobile networks

Playing with my gsm3 and I'm slightly upset that some apps I user all the time are not available on ICS. I can't even get the Samsung remote app for my tv. You would figure the leading android handset manufacturer would at least update their own apps.

Giblet fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 22, 2012

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
Quote is not edit

theNewBlack21
Jun 27, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I read that as well but BB was not able to give me any confirmation on when they would receive my phone even though I ordered the 16 GB white model on June 8th. I would have pre ordered from Sprint if they had in store pick up or if I wasn't changing addresses around release date. In any case ill never order from Best Buy again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/21/3108576/google-wallet-confirms-software-issue-htc-evo-4g-lte

Google says Wallet will be back "soon" for the Evo LTE. This is a huge screw up, in my opinion. Wallet was shut down just after the return period was up for most people who pre-ordered. All of these software issues, especially the lame rear end Apple patent thing, make me disappointed in this phone. I just want to click a phone number on a web page and have it call that number. I can't flash a rom that will let me do that because I can't clear Google Wallet (without editing the build.prop file, you have to be rooted in the first place to do that anyway) and it will brick the secure element.

So gently caress Apple for being Apple. gently caress HTC and Sprint and Google for using release products as beta software.