Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Has anybody been reading Irredeemable? Given all that's preceded it I thought this was a very nice last page in the last issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've still no idea what to feel about that last page, if I should be insulted or feel pandered to.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Uh, wow. I guess that's meant to be a homage, but it just comes off as a huge unsubtle ripoff.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh its much worse than that. Plutonian, the mass murderer Superman of the Irredeemable series is finally dying and is torn apart into his basic essence and spread across multiple realities as ideas. So a tiny part of him is reborn as the idea for Superman.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I don't know. I mean it's fairly obvious that the Plutonian is a Superman copy. I thought it was a nice way after all the brutality and deconstruction to remind us that you can have an ultra powerful hero and not inevitably have him turn into mega-Hitler.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is potentially a pretty insulting question (I don't know how much of a comic person you are, outside of reading Irredeemable), but have you read All-Star Superman? The concept for that page is clearly stolen from there, except made way more obvious and such.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

Bown posted:

This is potentially a pretty insulting question (I don't know how much of a comic person you are, outside of reading Irredeemable), but have you read All-Star Superman? The concept for that page is clearly stolen from there, except made way more obvious and such.

I have not. I know Irredeemable isn't the most original of comics, but I didn't know it was outright ripping stuff off. That's a little disappointing.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Bown posted:

I saw "Being invented on a parallel earth" a bunch of times in other comics before. That being said, given its use in All-Star Superman, its a bit hard to re-use that punchline.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hard as it may be to believe, but Morrison does not have an exclusive on that idea. And I'd say Waid has way more love for the Man of Steel than Grant, so he's entitled to his little moment of precooked shmaltz.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
In the 3-D parts of Final Crisis ("Superman Beyond"), there were a bunch of bits where it was suggested that the Superman story was a kind of universal constant, or an Ultimate/Greatest Story. I think this fits into that kind of world view. (But it was Grant Morrison, and I can never trust I understand properly what he's saying.)

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

prefect posted:

In the 3-D parts of Final Crisis ("Superman Beyond"), there were a bunch of bits where it was suggested that the Superman story was a kind of universal constant, or an Ultimate/Greatest Story. I think this fits into that kind of world view. (But it was Grant Morrison, and I can never trust I understand properly what he's saying.)

Superman is so powerful he exists in every possible universe, even as a fictional character if the physics of that universe will not permit him to be real. Morrison hits that theme again in rear end; Superman creates a universe where he doesn't exist to see what will happen, and his creations imagine him.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gaz-L posted:

Hard as it may be to believe, but Morrison does not have an exclusive on that idea. And I'd say Waid has way more love for the Man of Steel than Grant, so he's entitled to his little moment of precooked shmaltz.

Not to mention in the first issue Waid said the story was a result of a brainstorming session with Grant.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ambiguatron posted:

Superman is so powerful he exists in every possible universe, even as a fictional character if the physics of that universe will not permit him to be real. Morrison hits that theme again in rear end; Superman creates a universe where he doesn't exist to see what will happen, and his creations imagine him.

Just one of hundreds of reasons to love that series.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Gaz-L posted:

Waid was there with Morrison when he had his shamanic moment meeting Superman and I'm sure Morrison would say that Irredeemable is a consequence of Superman creating our universe. I really had no problem with it until I actually saw that page, which looked to lift the sketching image straight out of rear end #10, which felt really cheap, but I also don't know a better way to show the idea they're trying to convey...

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

From Avengers Academy #32. One of the students is Juston, the kid from the Sentinel comic from years back. He's basically the kid from Iron Giant with a pet Sentinel that acts as his friend and protector. It's still glitchy and talks up mutants in ways that make the others wary.

X-23 goes up to them and insists that the Sentinel should be destroyed. Although Juston has been able to add directives that make it good, he's been unable to remove "APPREHEND OR DESTROY ALL MUTANTS" from its directive vocabulary. The only way to do it would wipe its memory clean. X-23 says he should do just that, but he refuses.

Stuff from AvX is talked about and Sentinel starts freaking out because a Phoenix-powered Emma Frost shows up. She's melted down all the world's Sentinels and now she's going to finish them off with Juston's. Pym tries to talk her down and she figures she'll let it slide if they erase its memory, let Pym give it a new personality and redesign it so it no longer resembles a Sentinel. Juston pleads with her not to do it and gets locked in a fire bubble. Sentinel sees this as an attack and fights Emma with everything it has while commanding Juston to run.

It's also pretty awesome that Striker is standing up for the Sentinel when you look at that Korvac story from a while ago.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Gavok posted:

From Avengers Academy #32. One of the students is Juston, the kid from the Sentinel comic from years back. He's basically the kid from Iron Giant with a pet Sentinel that acts as his friend and protector. It's still glitchy and talks up mutants in ways that make the others wary.

X-23 goes up to them and insists that the Sentinel should be destroyed. Although Juston has been able to add directives that make it good, he's been unable to remove "APPREHEND OR DESTROY ALL MUTANTS" from its directive vocabulary. The only way to do it would wipe its memory clean. X-23 says he should do just that, but he refuses.

Stuff from AvX is talked about and Sentinel starts freaking out because a Phoenix-powered Emma Frost shows up. She's melted down all the world's Sentinels and now she's going to finish them off with Juston's. Pym tries to talk her down and she figures she'll let it slide if they erase its memory, let Pym give it a new personality and redesign it so it no longer resembles a Sentinel. Juston pleads with her not to do it and gets locked in a fire bubble. Sentinel sees this as an attack and fights Emma with everything it has while commanding Juston to run.

It's also pretty awesome that Striker is standing up for the Sentinel when you look at that Korvac story from a while ago.

An editor or someone really needs to focus on Gage for a bit. He has some amazing writing chops, and some horrible ones. Find out how he comes up with stuff like this and get rid of the other crap he does.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That's really sweet but ... grunge is retro now? Time to throw out my Nirvana t-shirt, I guess. Or at least start wearing it "ironically".

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Nevermind came out more then twenty years ago.

Also I just spent a bunch of money I don't have on Avengers Academy books because I'm a sucker for those kinds of scenes. :qq:

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Uthor posted:

That's really sweet but ... grunge is retro now? Time to throw out my Nirvana t-shirt, I guess. Or at least start wearing it "ironically".

I kind of felt the same way at first, but then I realized I've talked with customers who don't even know what grunge is. Basically, Yes. Grunge, which as stated earlier, is apparently retro. 80's is now The Oldies.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I found this scene from Wonder Woman #10 to be pretty heartwarming. The last 3 panels, I mean; the rest is set-up.

:3: D'awww.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't Juston like 13? I was a little creeped out by White Tiger saying she was gonna ask him out, but the X-23 stuff is sweet and works as a beat with the miniseries for her origin. And gotta love Pym's reaction. "...gently caress it, didn't sign up to the Avengers to babysit."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

I hate to say it, but yeah, something that's over 20 years old at this point qualifies as retro. At least as far as fashion goes.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Leper Residue posted:

I kind of felt the same way at first, but then I realized I've talked with customers who don't even know what grunge is. Basically, Yes. Grunge, which as stated earlier, is apparently retro. 80's is now The Oldies.

When I heard Under The Bridge on the local classic rock station, I knew it was basically over for our generation.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Leper Residue posted:

An editor or someone really needs to focus on Gage for a bit. He has some amazing writing chops, and some horrible ones. Find out how he comes up with stuff like this and get rid of the other crap he does.

Does the Sentinel live? :ohdear:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Gotta say the design of the gods in Wonder Woman is just cool as hell. If you told me a year ago that Hades with a candle for a head would be one of my new favorite looking comic characters I would have said bullshit, but here we are.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Directorman posted:

Yes it does

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Directorman posted:

Doesn't Justin have some sort of intuitive ability to repair it anyway?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think the Sentinel has an auto-repair function itself.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

From Persepolis where Marjane Satrapi describes the last time she saw her uncle:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes it does

For this issue, yes. Next issue, who knows? :ohdear:

(I almost teared up a little when Juston was losing it towards the end. I'm not sure I like having that kind of emotion. The thing with the dog was just unfair. :mad:)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Gotta say the design of the gods in Wonder Woman is just cool as hell. If you told me a year ago that Hades with a candle for a head would be one of my new favorite looking comic characters I would have said bullshit, but here we are.

Except for whomever she hulk is, Power Ranger villain is not a good look.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Except for whomever she hulk is, Power Ranger villain is not a good look.

Are you dissing Wonder Woman's wedding dress???

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Alhazred posted:

From Persepolis where Marjane Satrapi describes the last time she saw her uncle:

That's beautiful

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Arctic Baldwin posted:

That's beautiful

Maus and Persepolis are two of the hardest comics to read.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Since I brought it up in another thread, here's my favorite moment from Secret Invasion (can't remember the issue #). Months earlier, Captain Mar-Vell came back and everyone figured it was him existing through time travel. He started regaining memories of being experimented on by Skrulls, only to later realize that he himself is a Skrull meant to believe himself to be Mar-Vell and that it was up to him to help overthrow the humans. At first, he opposed the Skrulls, but then he broke down and joined their ranks.

His big mission is to eliminate the Thunderbolts and although he's able to thrash the team, he has a hard time actually killing any of them. Osborn steps in and talks him down.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I never caught onto the subtext to that interaction the first time around, but I'm guessing Osborn knows exactly what it feels like to think of yourself as a good person then suddenly remembering you're actually a monster.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lurdiak posted:

I never caught onto the subtext to that interaction the first time around, but I'm guessing Osborn knows exactly what it feels like to think of yourself as a good person then suddenly remembering you're actually a monster.

Yea, it's easy to forget the full context for that little interaction, but once you remember Osborn's history and all you see it in a really more gut-punchy light.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

The art and writing in that little scene pack a lot of punch. So well done.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

The Thunderbolts tie-in of that issue expands the conversation a bit more. The SI arc for Thunderbolts is really good and one of the few good stories between Ellis' and Cage's run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

The Thunderbolts tie-in of that issue expands the conversation a bit more. The SI arc for Thunderbolts is really good and one of the few good stories between Ellis' and Cage's run.

That is Gage's run.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 2, 2012