Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Maybe listen to the last year of episodes but realize there are so many references you won't get but it doesn't matter. Anything you need to know will be explained. Also, skip the episodes without Tom. Their still good but not worth the time without Tom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClaytonClaw
Dec 9, 2004

HateTheInternet posted:

Does anyone recommend a particular point where I could jump into the Best Show on WFMU with Tom Scharpling? Is starting at the very beginning advised? Archives go back over a decade and it looks pretty daunting.

Best Show Gems is a good starting point I think. It's a separate podcast on itunes with only the Wurster calls (with a few exceptions)

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
There's an early bit with Jon Benjamin that really hooked me: August 24, 2009: A Call from a Smirnoff Ice Regional Sales Director

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
JK Simmons is on this week's Thrilling Adventure Hour, and it's a Beyond Belief episode!

What a singing voice :allears:

Edit: AND Joe Mantegna!

Sneeing Emu fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 18, 2012

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Sneeing Emu posted:

JK Simmons is on this week's Thrilling Adventure Hour, and it's a Beyond Belief episode!

What a singing voice :allears:

Edit: AND Joe Mantegna!

This is the best episode of the best serial. "Race you!"

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Man, Elliott had an awesome bit in the latest Flophouse.
"Here's the thing: people talk about how bad slippery slopes are all the time, but you know what a slippery slope is? A water slide. It sounds awesome. Does anyone not like a water slide? Slippery slopes are fun as all get out."

Brice
Jul 23, 2006
Is It Bad to Get Cheese in Open Cuts?
I had heard that "10 Minute Podcast" was pretty good so I downloaded 5 and listened to them back to back and man is it funny. Holy Crap Everyone should give the show at least a chance. If you hate it, well, it was only 10 minutes wasted.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I wish Jesse Thorn would stop telling condescending "funny black people" stories or at the very least stop using a Williams-esque "black guy" voice when he tells them. I know his black friends are cool with it but it weirds everyone else out.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Brice posted:

I had heard that "10 Minute Podcast" was pretty good so I downloaded 5 and listened to them back to back and man is it funny. Holy Crap Everyone should give the show at least a chance. If you hate it, well, it was only 10 minutes wasted.

10 minute podcast owns. The banner logo is the best. The best:

Anyone interested owes it to themselves to listen to the first 4 episodes, or just the episode titled "We Are Friends" (they don't number them, sorry!). Quite a few times I had to pause (Particularly the end of episode 2, "Listener Tweets") because I was laughing too hard at work :shobon:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Uh yeah... That's a super awesome banner, bro

Am i missing something?

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
I gotta drop in to recommend Kevin Smith's new podcast "Fat Man on Batman." Especially if you love the animated series. He just did a great, LONG two-part interview with Mark Hamill.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Is it a comedy podcast? I haven't listened, so I'm genuinely asking. I'm sure it's funny, but I think it's kinda weird that any podcast with any comedic talent on it is labeled a comedy podcast. The Mental Illness Happy Hour gets called a comedy podcast and that's so loving far from the truth. Just because Paul Gilmartin can't help but be funny with a Jimmy Pardo or a Sklar Brothers doesn't mean it's a comedy podcast. I don't even think shows like The Indoor Kids or Comedy Film Nerds should be in that category cause comedy just happens, it's not the focus of the show. I could be the only one who thinks that, though.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I knocked out about 8 episodes of the 10 Minute Podcast and would definitely say it's a comedy podcast.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Is anybody listening to The Apple Sisters? I listened to two episodes yesterday and I really liked it. They are ridiculously energetic.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Popelmon posted:

Is anybody listening to The Apple Sisters? I listened to two episodes yesterday and I really liked it. They are ridiculously energetic.

Yeah they're great for a while but I got tired of their shtick after about a dozen episodes.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
They do tend to get repetitive with some of their jokes but it gets better starting with the boat queen episodes. Haven't listened to the two newer ones yet but the episode with Andy Daly as FDR is great. They took a break to record a new album last year and they seem to be putting out episodes just monthly now.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I was tired of their schtick about 10 minutes into the first episode. I just don't find anything funny about those characters or the milieu at all. They're all funny elsewhere I've seen them, I just can't get on board with the concept.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hope this doesn't break tables but I think I got a hot lead on dating material for you guys:

http://i.imgur.com/klxXe.jpg

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
The plaintiff in this week's Judge John Hodgman must have come from TVIV.

Is it a spoiler to be told that Aaron Paul won an Emmy for the third season of Breaking Bad because it tells you his character survives that long?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nemo posted:

Is it a spoiler to be told that Aaron Paul won an Emmy for the third season of Breaking Bad because it tells you his character survives that long?

These are my favorite JJH's, the totally unreasonable insane poo poo being treated deadpan.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Nemo posted:

I was kind of hoping that he'd bring up the fact that Vince Gilligan was planning on killing Jesse off in the first season until they started filming.

Episodes like this are the best, one person being unreasonable/ridiculous but completely sincere in their insanity.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

ilysespieces posted:

completely sincere in their insanity.

This is the purest definition of a crazy person. Plus, this really makes me want to listen to this week's episode since I kind of dip in and out.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Also, the first summary judgement since its introduction.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
I'm not sure if anyone else here is a Letterman fan, but Alec Baldwin just interviewed him on the latest episode of Baldwin's radio show/podcast Here's the Thing.

The show is a pretty neutral interview show, and Dave doesn't really go into any controversial topics like Leno or his affairs, but it's still interesting hearing Dave be sincere instead of the usual detached, ironic persona.

Baldwin also has an interview with Lorne Michaels, but I haven't heard it yet.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Anyone know anything more about Will's neighbor, the "Real Actual Girl" from the Ten Minute Podcast back in May? She sounded cute.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Apparently she's currently in the hospital after being chokeslammed by Hulk Hogan out of nowhere.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
That letterman interview is good. Interesting to hear him out of character, especially because he does interviews so rarely.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

plastered quack posted:

Baldwin also has an interview with Lorne Michaels, but I haven't heard it yet.

The Lorne Michaels interview is fascinating. You can tell that the two of them have spent a lot of time in each others' company and I wished it was a lot longer.

I also really liked the interviews with Chris Rock and Robert Osborne. (The latter has led such a damned charmed life, starts out working in a tiny theater and then ends up writing a weekly column and then having a network build programming around him.) The banter in the Kathleen Turner episode is great.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Does anyone listen to Alison Rosen Is Your New Best Friend? The latest episode was live from NerdMelt with Paul Gilmartin and some other dudes and it might just be the most excruciatingly awkward hour and a half I've ever heard.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Was seeing the "Epic Meal Time" episode of Nerdist the moment when anyone else finally unsubscribed to Nerdist or is it just me?

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Was seeing the "Epic Meal Time" episode of Nerdist the moment when anyone else finally unsubscribed to Nerdist or is it just me?

I've kind of soured on The Nerdist lately too... I don't know if this is just one of those things where I need a break because I used to listen pretty religiously for a bit or if I'm just finally over Chris being overly neurotic and the podcast seeming stale.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

It come and goes. I like the Hostful episodes as background noise but I'll listen to the main show depending on the guest. The one with his dad was really interesting.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

drawkcab si eman ym posted:

I've kind of soured on The Nerdist lately too... I don't know if this is just one of those things where I need a break because I used to listen pretty religiously for a bit or if I'm just finally over Chris being overly neurotic and the podcast seeming stale.

I took a pretty long break on it but came back for certain episodes. I don't think Chris is good at interviewing people but if he's friendly with the guest it usually goes somewhere fun or interesting.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
EP 164 is mind blowingly funny.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
I kind of find Chris boring. Matt and Jonah are almost always more interesting to listen to, but since they barely talk I've never been a big fan.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

A few hours to go until a new Superego. I'm so excited, but I just have one question I need to ask: how British am I?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Exceedingly Bri'ish, sur.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

my problem with Nerdist is that the hosts are more amused by themselves than I am by them. I don't feel they need me there to have their good time.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Do they still do that lame "Enjoy your burrito" thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I guess I was wrong about Superego because the new episode's post is still password protected. :(

Is that how they always do things or is it just some glitch this month? I just started listening to the podcast in the last month.

• Locked thread