Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Just played a game last night where we controlled the game most of the time but unfortunately we only had 1 sub so of course we were competitive and then towards the end we started to drag our asses.

I had 2 goals, one on a breakaway and the other on a garbage tip in. We have really started to move the puck well and set up plays around their net but for some reason poo poo just wasn't going in and they were getting lucky with their goals.

On a side note, I reffed the game before ours (the ref had to suit up and play goalie because someone didn't show). All I have to say is gently caress reffing. I called one penalty in the game, a hooking on a guy who had his stick around the guys waist along the boards. He bitched and barked and then chirped me all game long, especially when him and another guy went into the boards, he slipped on his own power and wanted a penalty shot. BTW, they lost the game 12-3.

He approached me towards the end of the game to "let me have it" and one of his teammates didnt see he was out so they then had too many men on the ice. I called the penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

jettisonedstuff posted:

I'm trying to improve my endurance, specifically being able to keep my knees bent for a long time. Does anyone have any off ice exercises for this besides wall sits and holding a squat for a long time?

Do you own a bike? Try doing intervals.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

jettisonedstuff posted:

I'm trying to improve my endurance, specifically being able to keep my knees bent for a long time. Does anyone have any off ice exercises for this besides wall sits and holding a squat for a long time?

P90x yoga. You'll laugh for the first ten minutes then cry for the next 30.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do a zillion lunges and your legs will never complain about skating bent ever again.

Dumbbell squats are good too because you can get the upper body in on the fun: press it over your head, raise it in front of your chest, or raise it laterally across your body. Superset 'em and you'll be panting by the end.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Verman posted:

He approached me towards the end of the game to "let me have it" and one of his teammates didnt see he was out so they then had too many men on the ice. I called the penalty.

You have the power, you need to control the situation. If he's chirping at you all game and you feel like it's too much. Warn him, then send him to the box for unsportsmanlike. Put it on his team to control him. Or if the other team has a penalty and he chirps, even it up with his unsportsmanlike. Or if he get's into it with you, send him off for 10. Then you're not punishing the team.

There's a balance between having a super ego and controlling the game and putting up with poo poo that makes you want to quit. Maintain control, use your authority when necessary, and don't put up wit that poo poo.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
yeah I didn't care so much as its beer league roller hockey so I let him talk and talk and wear himself out realizing he was chirping without a response until he caused his team a too many men penalty.

It was my first game reffing so I was mostly trying to just keep the game scored without mistake and calling obvious penalties while keeping the game clean. I felt like I did a good job, just funny how theres always that guy.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Eagle repalming:

45 for MSH2 palm, 55 for goatskin leather palm
+10 for gussets, +15 for goatskin gussets

3-4 week turn time. You have to ship your gloves to michigan where they clear customs in bulk via a broker. Then pay to ship them back.

Bewbies picked me up some Reebok 10k gloves for temporary use while these are out of commission.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Why do they go through customs? Aren't you in LA?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Eagle is based London, Ontario and Montreal, so they've gotta clear there to get to where they do the fixins

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does anyone around here go to a shallower cut in the summer?

My usual method for deciding when to get my skates sharpened is when I start to lose bite in turns, and in the fall/winter that usually ended up being about every 4-6 weeks.

Then today I realized I haven't sharpened since mid-April, when it started getting pretty warm out and my edges still feel good. I suppose softer ice means you don't need as much of an edge to dig in properly?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
New session started last night at the clinic. While I'm still certainly in "beginner" status, we have two or three guys who joined who are in the same boat I was just a little over a month ago. It makes me feel good to really see how I looked then, it makes me realize how while I still loving suck at skating, I've gotten better than even I realized.

Of course, I still look like a loving clown to most of the others, but that's cool. I really like that my private instructor learned as an adult also, so she's much better at helping those of us who haven't been skating since we were 3.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Welp, it's official, I am making my return back to "competative" ice hockey. C-League House Team My first game is this Sunday. I hope to not make an rear end of myself.

This is added to the 3 inline teams I play on, 1 as a goalie.

:negative:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Hockles posted:

Welp, it's official, I am making my return back to "competative" ice hockey. C-League House Team My first game is this Sunday. I hope to not make an rear end of myself.

This is added to the 3 inline teams I play on, 1 as a goalie.

:negative:

Play hockey every day. :colbert:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I've got a late game tonight and judging by emails today we're going to have like 6 skaters :negative:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Are they your good 6 skaters?

We did that 2 weeks ago, and beat the team 7-2. They had 12.

Then we played them again this week, had 9 skaters, to their 7, and we lost 2-1. So I dunno, sometimes less is more.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Does anyone around here go to a shallower cut in the summer?

My usual method for deciding when to get my skates sharpened is when I start to lose bite in turns, and in the fall/winter that usually ended up being about every 4-6 weeks.

Then today I realized I haven't sharpened since mid-April, when it started getting pretty warm out and my edges still feel good. I suppose softer ice means you don't need as much of an edge to dig in properly?

I keep the same 7/16" year round, and only get them cut when I start losing edges, or at least that's what I blame it on. I never really made a comparison of frequency for summer vs winter though. I'd say it's probably every 1.5-2 months or so, or about 10-14 hours of icetime. When I was dicking around with the flat bottom cuts, I was doing it every 3rd game or some bullshit.

Thufir posted:

I've got a late game tonight and judging by emails today we're going to have like 6 skaters :negative:

sellouts posted:

Then we played them again this week, had 9 skaters, to their 7, and we lost 2-1. So I dunno, sometimes less is more.

We had 7 skaters on Saturday night until the 2nd period. Our team was dead last in the standings of 16 teams and beat them pretty handily. We were even missing a few of our best skaters too. Even though 7 skaters is a bit extreme, I like running a shorter bench with only 2 wing lines. I think my legs stay more fresh that way, since I'm not sitting for 6 minutes at a time.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 21, 2012

Thufir
May 19, 2004

sellouts posted:

I don't think we have 6 good skaters when everybody shows up :unsmith:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Pssshhh. If we had six skaters show up to a game, I'd be all :woop:

That's ice time! The first rule of hockey is you never complain about too much ice time.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

Pssshhh. If we had six skaters show up to a game, I'd be all :woop:

That's ice time! The first rule of hockey is you never complain about too much ice time.

Lost 6-1, I think I played a little under 45 minutes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Slapshot right in the big toe tonight. :negative:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I've wanted to play hockey for a bit and finally made the big first jump today by getting on the ice. I think the major thing holding me back was being a pussy about going in to all of it alone but I have a friend who skated with me today that will also want to start playing, I'm just not sure if he's got the time or commitment for it down the road. We did pretty well all things considered. The only issues came from trying to transition to skating backwards plus losing the edge a lot when pushing too hard or turning too quickly, hopefully due to crappy skates but I don't know.

I suppose the plan is to rent a few more times for open ice then get some skates and hopefully take a class.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Teeter posted:

I've wanted to play hockey for a bit and finally made the big first jump today by getting on the ice. I think the major thing holding me back was being a pussy about going in to all of it alone but I have a friend who skated with me today that will also want to start playing, I'm just not sure if he's got the time or commitment for it down the road. We did pretty well all things considered. The only issues came from trying to transition to skating backwards plus losing the edge a lot when pushing too hard or turning too quickly, hopefully due to crappy skates but I don't know.

I suppose the plan is to rent a few more times for open ice then get some skates and hopefully take a class.

I'd say go ahead and start the class ASAP if it's a skating class. Your open ice practice will be more effective once someone tells you what you should be doing.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Thufir posted:

I'd say go ahead and start the class ASAP if it's a skating class. Your open ice practice will be more effective once someone tells you what you should be doing.

This, and if you take the class, go ahead get yourself a pair of skates. Rentals are for poo poo, especially if they're the kind with the buckles instead of laces. Also, you never know when they were last sharpened or who did it. Some 16-year-old part-time rink rat making $6.00 an hour could be the one running the sharpener. You want something that fits right, feels good on your foot, and has a proper edge. If it sucks to skate, you won't have fun.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Teeter posted:

Gotta push yourself to go! It takes a piece of dedication to attempt to get as much ice time as possible. When I go alone, I usually watch other people who are better than me to see if I can learn anything. I also watch people who are bad cause it's rather entertaining
I've been taking skating lessons only for a little over 2 months and am SO close to having a full set of gear. Considering taking hockey lessons next session they offer them. And thats only because I'm semi comfortable going backwards now
Get your own skates. Use the guide in the OP. You and your feet will thank you for it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I can do backwards crossovers in a circle going counter clockwise like I was born to do it. I can do it clockwise pretty good. I can get good speed skating backwards. However, I feel like I absolutely cannot transition either way. Also can't hockey stop.

My forwards crossovers need more practice too. I'm pretty sure I 'cheated' them when doing learn to skate because I got into the habit of forcing my inside leg to crossunder (seriously, i'd bend my ankle to assist this) and then lift the crossover leg. I'm pretty sure I need to be catching the edge of the outer leg, using that momentum to carry it over the inner leg.

Hopefully I can get out to the rink tomorrow and practice all that poo poo. And I'm gonna wear the pants I just bought and probably the knee/shin pads too. That way I won't be as weary of falling and take more risks to start doing this stuff. I don't care if I look like a fool.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 22, 2012

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

This, and if you take the class, go ahead get yourself a pair of skates. Rentals are for poo poo, especially if they're the kind with the buckles instead of laces. Also, you never know when they were last sharpened or who did it. Some 16-year-old part-time rink rat making $6.00 an hour could be the one running the sharpener. You want something that fits right, feels good on your foot, and has a proper edge. If it sucks to skate, you won't have fun.

Yeah, I really didn't feel confident on the skates I was using because of how bad the edge felt. Hopefully I can head out to Hockey Monkey next week and start trying things on.

e: Looks like I've got an option for an 8 week class for $100 at a higher reviewed place, or a different rink has an option for $55 to get 4 classes but if I'm understanding correctly that comes with unlimited public skating for the month. Right now I'm leaning toward the latter just to get more ice time. Any So Cal goons happen to have any insight? These are the two Ontario ice rinks

Teeter fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 22, 2012

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Doctor Butts posted:

I can do backwards crossovers in a circle going counter clockwise like I was born to do it. I can do it clockwise pretty good. I can get good speed skating backwards. However, I feel like I absolutely cannot transition either way. Also can't hockey stop.

My forwards crossovers need more practice too. I'm pretty sure I 'cheated' them when doing learn to skate because I got into the habit of forcing my inside leg to crossunder (seriously, i'd bend my ankle to assist this) and then lift the crossover leg. I'm pretty sure I need to be catching the edge of the outer leg, using that momentum to carry it over the inner leg.

Hopefully I can get out to the rink tomorrow and practice all that poo poo. And I'm gonna wear the pants I just bought and probably the knee/shin pads too. That way I won't be as weary of falling and take more risks to start doing this stuff. I don't care if I look like a fool.

Sounds like great progress. For me, getting crossovers down really forced me to focus on getting my overall leg angles correct. It is almost impossible to do a crossover without having a decent bend in the knees and ankles. Crossovers are about transferring weight and power.

It also helps if you are able to swim. If you can swim, you have already experienced that thrashing your arms around in water will get you moving...sort of. When you really focus on angles and the best way to push/climb the water, it becomes a lot smoother and easier. A crossover is pretty much like pushing against the ice to anchor your turn.

I think it's a great attitude to go in protected and fearless. The less you care about looking like a fool, the faster you'll make progress toward skating more smoothly.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Also, don't *ever* feel awkward about asking for help from other players on the ice. You'd be shocked how many guys out there were in your position of having to learn as an adult. Especially at stick and puck sessions, you can get guys who actually *love* getting you good enough to play.

I've played in a lot of community sports leagues, but it's nothing like the hockey community. YMMV, but I've found that bar none, the hockey community where I live is absolutely awesome. There's a lot of camraderie and most importantly, everyone is willing to help newcomers.

I guess it's because there's usually only one rink in town, so you see each other all the damned time. :allears:

(Can y'all tell that I've fallen in love with playing this game? I just wish I didn't have to go to work, or I'd just be at the icehouse every loving day.)

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Hell yeah, part of the proposed new arena lease agreement between Nashville and the Predators is the city and the team working together to build another ice rink in town :krad:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

oddIXIbbo posted:

I think it's a great attitude to go in protected and fearless. The less you care about looking like a fool, the faster you'll make progress toward skating more smoothly.

One of our coaches at the clinic I go to calls falling down "learning". He always makes the point that if you're not falling down, you're not pushing yourself to learn the skills and therefore aren't making progress. Of course, I'm in the beginner group at the clinic, so there's that too. :v:

PS - Using outside edges is hard!

Thufir posted:

Hell yeah, part of the proposed new arena lease agreement between Nashville and the Predators is the city and the team working together to build another ice rink in town :krad:

Hey brah, I may be up in Nashvegas sometime in July/August, would you be up for a skate session? I promise to make you look good through my clown skating. :v:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think I found my white whale. Dallas Stars pant shells from ~1999. God I hope they pan out, it'll be like a time warp to when i was much younger

Thufir
May 19, 2004

JetsGuy posted:

One of our coaches at the clinic I go to calls falling down "learning". He always makes the point that if you're not falling down, you're not pushing yourself to learn the skills and therefore aren't making progress. Of course, I'm in the beginner group at the clinic, so there's that too. :v:

PS - Using outside edges is hard!

Hey brah, I may be up in Nashvegas sometime in July/August, would you be up for a skate session? I promise to make you look good through my clown skating. :v:

Yeah, shoot me a PM when you know when you will be up here.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Crossovers still completely elude me. Going off a rough estimate of 3 hours of skating per week for the last year, and dozens of "tips" from dozens of "veteran" skaters, it's a bit disappointing I haven't been able to contort my body into pulling them off.

Stationary, I can put my full weight on the outside edge of one skate just fine. But as soon as I'm moving (forward or backwards, doesn't matter) any attempts to put any weight on that outside edge result in hilarious consequences. Either I fall, or I do a ridiculous shuffle step that saps all my momentum.

I suppose I'm marginally better at it than I was 6 months ago, but it's still pretty sad. I'm pretty sure most of the fault has to do with my center of gravity but I've had no luck manipulating it properly.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I spent a year practicing skating twice a week at public skates before I started playing (probably should have started playing sooner, in retrospect) so I'm like a hockey NASCAR driver: awesome at turning left and a stumbly mess at right-turn crossovers. If only they would have reversed directions at public skate once in a while :(

e: Also my experience was that if you're just skating it's really easy to over-estimate your skill level. You might think "Oh I can stop and do crossovers and transition back to front just fine!" but at public skate you can sort of plan stuff like "Ok, I'm going to stop...NOW!" Actually playing and trying to skate with an opposing player who is actively trying to be unpredictable is so so much harder and taking just an extra second or two to do something can completely take you out of the play.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 22, 2012

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

- crossunders dammit!

- Instead of thinking about crossing over your outside leg, think about jamming your inside leg as far under and away from you as you can (really push with that outside edge). Then you'll naturally have to draw it back in as you push your outside leg away from you.

- Use the faceoff circles to practice this.

- do outside edge drills. you can also do these in a straight line, just kick each leg over, one after another, as you turn with your outside edges.

If you can't do crossunders, it's 100% because you aren't comfortable using your outside edges. More outside edge drills.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

- do outside edge drills. you can also do these in a straight line, just kick each leg over, one after another, as you turn with your outside edges.

I can actually feel myself falling just watching that. :v:

It's just one of those things where my brain knows what has to happen, it's just taking me an absurd amount of time getting my body to do it.

The inside edges are easy.. I always have a foot available to catch me if I fall. With outside edges my balance is such that if things go wrong, there's no safety net. I have nothing against falling, I do it all the time. It's just hard to short circuit that instinct to stay upright.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Dangerllama posted:

- crossunders dammit!
Meh. Way more people just say backwards crossovers than say crossunders. Plus, after you finish pushing with your inside foot, you still bring your outside leg up and over it, thus making them legitimately cross overs.

Personally, I think saying crossovers groups them nicely with the forward crossovers and I can refer to them all saying one word (e.g. crossovers are key for quick, lateral movement).

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Thufir posted:

Yeah, shoot me a PM when you know when you will be up here.

Awesome. Will do.

xzzy posted:

I can actually feel myself falling just watching that. :v:

It's just one of those things where my brain knows what has to happen, it's just taking me an absurd amount of time getting my body to do it.

The inside edges are easy.. I always have a foot available to catch me if I fall. With outside edges my balance is such that if things go wrong, there's no safety net. I have nothing against falling, I do it all the time. It's just hard to short circuit that instinct to stay upright.

...especially falling doing drills like that. You're going to land straight on your damned hip and unless you have $200+ pants, you're going to hurt like a mother fucker.

I still am trying those drills, and I gotta say, I can barely lean on the outside of my foot on a carpet, so it's no wonder I can't get to doing that drill like that yet. Also, I gotta assume *some* of those guys are putting some of their weight on the stick.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

coldwind posted:

Meh. Way more people just say backwards crossovers than say crossunders. Plus, after you finish pushing with your inside foot, you still bring your outside leg up and over it, thus making them legitimately cross overs.

Personally, I think saying crossovers groups them nicely with the forward crossovers and I can refer to them all saying one word (e.g. crossovers are key for quick, lateral movement).

I say crossover too in general conversation. But it helps to think of them as crossunders when learning them. The idea is that you're pushing out with both legs. That, and the first move - forward or backward - is crossing your inside leg under your body.

Most people who try to "cross over" wind up just doing a weird crab walk because they never get the outside edge of their inside skate set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've never actually bruised anything falling while wearing hockey gear.. I didn't buy expensive pants but I guess bought ones good enough to take some falls. :iiam:

And my balance off skates is fairly good. It just goes to poo poo when I'm standing on razor blades.