Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Must get boring. It's usually boring even in the channel.

At least until whaaaat wakes up from his costume crashes, then there's people talking for a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Aphrodite posted:

They added the new Power Armor stuff today, along with a Costume Set.

It's some bulky armor, plus thinner pieces that allow holographic armor.

In other words, Omnitools!

yay! now I can add an omnitool on Tali!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Freeform Grab Bags disappear after next week's maintenance (Scheduled for the 22nd, Friday.)

They'll sell the slots straight up after that, I would think.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

State of the Game is up.

Confirms vehicles soon.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Freeform Grab Bags disappear after next week's maintenance (Scheduled for the 22nd, Friday.)

We can only hope anyway.

Aphrodite posted:

State of the Game is up.

Confirms vehicles soon.
Awesome.

Dyatlov Bass
Apr 16, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Aphrodite posted:

drat, if they actually cared about anything their clientele thinks, they would probably see so much outrage if they did that.

And vehicles? Let's see what new and interesting ways they can :cryptic: this up.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Dyatlov Bass posted:

And vehicles? Let's see what new and interesting ways they can :cryptic: this up.
I hope you're not expecting them to have any actual use now. :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Dyatlov Bass posted:

drat, if they actually cared about anything their clientele thinks, they would probably see so much outrage if they did that.

I was going to argue this point, but then I realized that I don't really understand Cryptic currently enough to do so. They listen to somebody, I can tell that much, but I don't know who or if it's a good idea for them to be doing so.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dyatlov Bass posted:

They're just going to be Become Devices.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Action figures all the way. You can just pose with your motorcycle, have it follow you around, but never ride it.

edit: Megaten Imagine introduced motorbikes for "fast" travel purposes. You had to pay real money to rent them. They floated through the air in a perpetual wheelie the entire time:

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 16, 2012

SkullMuffinz
Jan 31, 2011

I like things that are dumb.
Guess I'll finally stop lurking and post.

So, I've been playing this game on and off since beta, and I have to say, I'm loving these new updates (Alert, adding all the toggles, rebalancing etc). I'll probably resub for a month or two and hop on occasionally... Well... When I'm not preoccupied with TSW anyways.

If memory serves, you can't add people while they're offline, but if I'm full of crap, then:
@SkullMuffinz

SkullMuffinz fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 16, 2012

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

They're just going to be Become Devices.

Re-skins of super speed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

Re-skins of super speed.

That would actually be more work than a Become, because they would have to animate attacks.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That would actually be more work than a Become, because they would have to animate attacks.

Oh I know they will be "Become" devices, but the movement of the vehicles themselves will be reskins of super speed and flight.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

Oh I know they will be "Become" devices, but the movement of the vehicles themselves will be reskins of super speed and flight.

I would think Jetpack/Boots for the jet, but most likely.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I would think Jetpack/Boots for the jet, but most likely.

If they reign in the slipperiness of ice flight and remove verticle movment it could be a cool car.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

whaaaat suggested we make a Bad CC Bingo Card.

We need suggestions.

It needs 24 spaces, plus a freebie. The freebie is "Max Boob Slider."

Some ideas so far: All of One Set, Gun-arm, Redblack, Hyper Glow, Judges choose someone who doesn't fit their own category.

Go!

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 19, 2012

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I haven't been to CO costume contests, but if they're anything like City of Heroes costume contests, I put forward 'Poor attempt at what the designer thinks of as 'eldritch'.'

There is also, somewhere in the game I don't know which, a costume set that is far an away the most loved. I'm not sure what it is, but I know it exists. It plagued City of Heroes in the form of the Bioluminescent set, there has to be an equivalent.

Also, a 'status symbol costume' built around some highly sought-after costume pieces.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's the Harajuku set in CO.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Some ideas so far: All of One Set, Gun-arm, Redblack, Hyper Glow, Judges choose someone who doesn't fit their own category.
"Default derpy female face."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Roleplaying themselves
Most Xs flanking name in a game where that is strictly unnecessary
Best incredible hulk
White hair/red eyes

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Arms so short they cant wipe their rear end.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Cleretic posted:

I was going to argue this point, but then I realized that I don't really understand Cryptic currently enough to do so. They listen to somebody, I can tell that much, but I don't know who or if it's a good idea for them to be doing so.
The generally accepted opinion amongst most STO and COers that have been around for over a year (IE: The lifetimers that aren't batshit insane, mostly.) is that they listen to the worst and usually smallest parts of their forum community, who rage the loudest. Usually because there's a dev (Like Gozer) who has a hard-on for whatever is mentioned by them, which gives them a bit of legitimacy both ways.

You can see this in STO, with Gozer constantly trying to lock everyone but the most hardcore individuals out of the end game PVE content. And in CO with people coming in to every thread that asks for some actual end game content (Since there hasn't been any dedicated end game content since a month or two after release.) to poo poo it up with complaints about the thread creator and supporters being entitled, usually while claiming there needs to be even more character customization put in first.

It doesn't help that most of these assholes are constantly mocked by the greater whole of the playerbase in game whenever they rear their ugly heads there. So it's not like the sentiment that both games need to be devoid of anything meaningful to do is actually rampant amongst the people who actually play it.

There's some good stories in the STO thread of regular people (who actually aren't goons) getting so pissed off at some of the regular forum goers doing this, that they formed the electronic equivalent of lynch mobs to try to get them to shut the gently caress up for five minutes. Since there seems to be a cross-over with a fair number of the STO folks who do this being creeps, a few of those stories had them deciding to use the Ferengi lightning whips to unleash some impromptu group justice on people who try to cultivate "internet celebrity" persona's by making GBS threads up the game.

It doesn't actually hurt them, but mother of god do they rage at it, throwing out all sorts of accusations like claiming they're BDSM lovers, they're going to Hell, etc, etc. It got to the point where a bunch of them made a thread where they creeped everyone out so much with their ranting and creepy obsessions, that Cryptic had to step in and lock it with a polite request for the people in question to shut the hell up. Presumably for fear of it scaring people off of the game.

So yeah, i'd place the blame there, all in all. The forum community for both games borders between savant-like at times on calling out and predicting Cryptic's occasional bout of developmental bullshit, and what I can only describe as being self-hating and incestuous the rest of the time.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 19, 2012

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
  • At least 50% composed of unlocks just for the hell of it (hey look at me I bought the cyberpunk set, have all the alert boss unlocks, and I'm a 900 day vet. Let's slap it all on in an incoherent jumble.)
  • Only one to two colors on entire outfit
  • Maximum-height male
  • Minimum-height female
  • Only won because of the name (or costume unrecognizable as what it is without name)
  • Costume uses every possible item slot available (and the result doesn't happen to look good)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

-Animal Ears/Tail/Head that have nothing to do with the rest of the costume.
-Entirely colored with max-saturation primaries.
-Trenchcoat and Katana at the same time (and they're not dressing as Blade)
-Not dressing as Blade

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Ninja with a fox tail is oddly so specific yet you see one every 2 seconds.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Bluhman posted:

• Only one to two colors on entire outfit

I agree with everything else, but this is basically what a superhero is. Aquaman is orange and green, Superman is red and blue, etc. Hard to get mad at people for designing classic colorschemes. Then again, it's going to always be red and black, so carry on.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Look at pictures of those guys. Aquaman is teal and orange mostly, but also has golden detail parts, such as his belt (and at least one design throws in black.) Superman's logo and belt incorporate the color yellow. Heck, even the Green Lanterns, which are almost entirely green and black, have a tiny smidgen of white in their insignia. You say most classic hero color schemes use only two colors, I can't think of any who do. :colbert:

But mainly, I'm talking about a color scheme that literally was "I am going to use the automatic coloring tool with two colors 'cause I can't be assed to do it manually!"

E: colors are not proper nouns.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bluhman posted:

Look at pictures of those guys. Aquaman is teal and orange mostly, but also has golden detail parts, such as his belt (and at least one design throws in black.) Superman's logo and belt incorporate the color yellow. Heck, even the Green Lanterns, which are almost entirely green and black, have a tiny smidgen of white in their insignia. You say most classic hero color schemes use only two colors, I can't think of any who do. :colbert:

Most Lanterns have white elsewhere on the costume too. Hal has white gloves and boots.

Also some Batman costumes are 2 colors only. Hell, the movie ones are one color.

Often in CO you're reduced to 2 because of bad color layer choices on the pieces you're using though. There are dozens of 2 channel only costume pieces that should at least be 3, and so many costumes that don't use channel 4 even though they can.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Freeform character slots are in the store straight up now.

$50.

Yes, 50.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Aphrodite posted:

$50.

Yes, 50.

hahahahaha, wow that's amazing.

On a side note, is there a way to make people suck less at doing Harmon's Lab? It seems 90% of the pubbies I get stuck with are single target hybrids with awful builds and a tendancy to aggro the whole room at once. Also, "hey look a patch of fire! Better stand in it!"

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Be a healer or dedicated tank, is all I've got to say.

It isn't much better against Gravitar, either, with Pubbies who will run towards you when they have a giant AoE of holding on top of their head.

Dyatlov Bass
Apr 16, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Aphrodite posted:

$50.

Yes, 50.

Well, that's definitely something right there.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Aphrodite posted:

$50.

Yes, 50.

It kind of makes sense when you bear in mind that a monthly sub is like 15$, and a freeform slot is tantamount to a lifetime sub for one slot. Especially now that the adventure packs are free, all a sub gives you is some extra costume parts and a monthly stipend.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Jan posted:

It kind of makes sense when you bear in mind that a monthly sub is like 15$, and a freeform slot is tantamount to a lifetime sub for one slot. Especially now that the adventure packs are free, all a sub gives you is some extra costume parts and a monthly stipend.
I wonder what the price difference is by the time you unlock all the costumes compared to a lifetime.

What's super Barbie dress up without costumes?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's about 95 days of Questionite at the refine cap.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Seems Gravitar hits like a freight train carrying trucks at 1/3 health, it's reasonably fun though so long as you have the full group of 10 so the damage is split properly. I look forward to the seamonster boss they had in the art corner a little while ago if it's more of this.
They really need to build a healer requirement into these though if they're going to make the boss' normal attacks do 1.5k though.

Artum fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 22, 2012

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Nope, gently caress this. My freeform slot's not even worth the CP I did pay for it. Largely because there's nothing to use it in. I don't really see the point in levelling up another character when there's no new content to work towards or through.

On the upside, this is a great shutdown to 'pay to win' complainers over on City of Heroes. 'Oh, you think charging for a good but still not the best powerset is cruel? Yeah gently caress you, over on CO you have to subscribe or drop Cryptic a fifty to even have the chance to be useful.'

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Archetypes are more useful than freeform.

Also, this sure looks familiar.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

:ughh:

I understand why they put it at that price, but even $25 or $30 would have made more sense. It's just way beyond anything resembling "impulse buy" at that level. I mean I keep a sub up so it doesn't really matter to me, but it's still dumb.

Aphrodite posted:

Also, this sure looks familiar.
Hah. I approve. :v: