Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

ReindeerF posted:

Here's another stereotype: unless you end up at a decent university or a good international school you'll be making poo poo in Southeast Asia compared to North Asia. Welcome to the typical teacher's dilemma - enjoy life more and make nothing or enjoy life less and make a middle class wage.

I have a high school diploma and I'm making $50,000+ (that's ONE BILLION DONGS YEARLY!1!) in Vietnam. Just don't be a teacher. :cool:

That said, I met a guy here who said he used to teach private classes 20 hours/week, at about $15-20/hour. That gives you a nice living in this country plus a lot of free time. My wife is now making $22/hour teaching a private class and she doesn't have a background in teaching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Senso posted:

No it's true, most Vietnamese are friendly. I've been here for a year now and I most people are really friendly. Even the touts are not as aggressive as I've seen in Cambodia, every experience vary.

The Vietnamese are the worst human scum in Southeast Asia. If there were some bad touts when you went to Siem Reap or Phnom Penh, no doubt they learned it from the Vietnamese. The only reason you think different is because you've been brainwashed by their wacky communist propaganda.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

Senso posted:

I have a high school diploma and I'm making $50,000+ (that's ONE BILLION DONGS YEARLY!1!) in Vietnam. Just don't be a teacher. :cool:

That said, I met a guy here who said he used to teach private classes 20 hours/week, at about $15-20/hour. That gives you a nice living in this country plus a lot of free time. My wife is now making $22/hour teaching a private class and she doesn't have a background in teaching.

Touting 2.0 right here.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Senso posted:

Yeah, I mean basically if someone's making good money as a teacher in SE Asia then they got one of the coveted spots at a good institution or they're essentially entrepreneurs who happen to sell education as their product. Unfortunately, he's coming here to teach, heh.

eviljelly posted:

The Vietnamese are the worst human scum in Southeast Asia. If there were some bad touts when you went to Siem Reap or Phnom Penh, no doubt they learned it from the Vietnamese. The only reason you think different is because you've been brainwashed by their wacky communist propaganda.
Haha, SIMMAH DOWN. This thread has always been the laid-back, happy go lucky coconut bicycle thread (I agree with the general point, my experience of Vietnam was aggressive as gently caress and considerably more dishonest than the rest of the Mekong region, but my views on that have been stated).

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Well the worst human scum in Southeast Asia is still better than the Chinese, duh. :haw:

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

eviljelly posted:

Clearly you haven't been to Pattaya....

I actually have much of a problem with the Vietnamese, though I was mostly in the North.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This is literally the only place I've ever heard a bad word about Vietnam. I haven't been there yet to judge but the difference is striking.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Grand Fromage posted:

This is literally the only place I've ever heard a bad word about Vietnam. I haven't been there yet to judge but the difference is striking.

This is the first place I've heard bad things about Vietnam but I've heard much worse from friends who have been there.

Then again, I've also heard some very good things. I've never been, so I can't judge.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Finch! posted:

This is the first place I've heard bad things about Vietnam but I've heard much worse from friends who have been there.

Then again, I've also heard some very good things. I've never been, so I can't judge.

I was including friends. Different tastes of course, I loved Beijing and know plenty of people who can't stand China. And I live in Korea which definitely has both sides of the love and hate spectrum well represented. :buddy:

There's been something of an exodus from Korea to Vietnam among my acquaintances.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Don't get me started on the Koreans. Ugh.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
A country full of Koreans AND Vietnamese? That would make a great reality TV series. You could have elimination events where the contestants have to run around a market bargaining and the one who makes the most sellers genuinely cry the quickest wins.

EDIT: Random anecdote time. I go running in the countryside all the time all over the place and people are almost always either friendly or genuinely inquisitive (i.e. "LOOK A WHITE PERSON, TELL IT HELLO!"), so it's always kind of fun and cute and whatever. The joys of being a novelty minority in a country that's pretty friendly. Anyway, today I had a new one. There are always kids around and they usually either want to talk ("MY NAME IS!" in English - followed by nothing, or "GOOD MORNING!" at 17:00) or they're shy and stare, before giggling. Today, though, when I ran by this woman and her little girl along the river, I slowed down to make a clownish smiley face at the little girl and she burst into tears, ran to her mother and clutched her leg and kept bawling. I nearly doubled over laughing at the reaction, which only made it worse and the mother looked so embarrassed. In the end, I straightened up and apologized for scaring her daughter, because, Hell, the kid's probably never seen a 6'3" white guy with no hair making what, in retrospect, was a pedobear smile.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 22, 2012

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

There would have to be some contest involving battling with Americans.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Clearly, eviljelly and ReindeerF have been in Asia for too long and are now bitter grumpy men. You just have to remember that anywhere else other than home is better and all parts of the world have cunts and cool people. Vietnam included, yes. After a year, I'm becoming grumpier and my glasses are not rose-tinted anymore (they're black because of the pollution) but I still love it here.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Nah I haven't been here that long. I pretty much love all of Southeast Asia except Vietnam. My hatred of Koreans is very long standing and unrelated to any travels.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Senso posted:

Clearly, eviljelly and ReindeerF have been in Asia for too long and are now bitter grumpy men. You just have to remember that anywhere else other than home is better and all parts of the world have cunts and cool people. Vietnam included, yes. After a year, I'm becoming grumpier and my glasses are not rose-tinted anymore (they're black because of the pollution) but I still love it here.
It's true. I hate all of Asia with a passion.

I agree you can have fun anywhere and, as I have pointed out before, I know a number of people who lived in Vietnam long-term and enjoyed it pretty well (though I hear quite a few complaints about exactly the issues that have been brought up as well). I just look at it comparatively and Vietnam has more cunts than Thailand, Laos or Cambodia in my experience, all three of which are much more laid-back from my anecdotal experience, so it wouldn't make much sense for me to live there or spend a lot of time there without some counterbalancing factor. Hell, the Thai business owners I know all have been worried to death about the rise of the Vietnamese economy precisely because they consider the Vietnamese to be more competitive and aggressive, two qualities never associated with Thailand for sure (especially when it comes to international business). It's not like this assessment, whether accurate or not, is entirely the province of Western tourists or expats, heh. But, yeah, stereotypes aren't universal, they're just broad stroke assessments meant to help classify group behaviors. Overall, I consider it my personal goal to keep people in these threads from visiting Pattaya or Phuket more than anything else ^__^

Anyway, I need to head back for a trip and re-evaluate my impression, it's been a while. Maybe in September or October!

Gumog
Mar 20, 2009
What's the cuisine like in Thailand and Vietnam? I understand what we have in the States is a very sanitized version of what the real stuff is. I was watching a youtube video about Saigon and there was this scene where people were eating this funny orange soup with what looked like fat live maggots wiggling around in it. :stonk:

So between Vietnam/Saigon and Thailand/Bangkok, is there any clear choice? Or can I really go wrong choosing one over the other?

Gumog fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 22, 2012

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Nha Trang, Vietnam was probably the worse place I've ever been to in SEA.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

Gumog posted:

What's the cuisine like in Thailand and Vietnam? I understand what we have in the States is a very sanitized version of what the real stuff is. I was watching a youtube video about Saigon and there was this scene where people were eating this funny orange soup with what looked like fat live maggots wiggling around in it. :stonk:

So between Vietnam/Saigon and Thailand/Bangkok, is there any clear choice? Or can I really go wrong choosing one over the other?
Never had a bad meal eating local dishes in either Vietnam or Thailand. It was all fantastic. Even eating western dishes the Thai/Viatnamese nocked it out of the ball bark.

edit: A good rule of thumb is. If you see locals eating at the place, it's the real deal. If you only see tourists eating there, it can be hit or miss. It may be because the food sucks or it may just be because it's too expensive for the locals.

Rapsey fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 22, 2012

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Gumog posted:

It's a matter of personal preference and there's a lot of *really* good food in Vietnam and Thailand if my experience counts. I haven't spent enough time in Vietnam to really say, but my general impression is that everyday Thai food offers more variety. That may be due to my ignorance of everyday Vietnamese life. Usually once you dig in to a culture you find out about a bunch of food that's not immediately obvious. The big plus for Thailand, aside from it being so fertile, is the cultural mishmash here. The South is heavily Muslim with all kinds of great curries, seafood dishes and salty foods, the Northeast is basically Laos cuisine with what's called Isaan food here (spicy and awesome), the North itself used to be a separate kingdom and has all kinds of distinctive dishes (maybe Burmese-influenced? I dunno) like Khao Soi and Sai Krok. Obivously Vietnam borders other countries too, so I'm sure it's got a panoply of things to eat as well, but I wouldn't be as familiar. I'm guessing the Chinese influence has brought over some good stuff.

EDIT: Colonialism helped with cooking at least, not that that's like a good reason to overlook all the other problems. Thai cooks are hopeless with bread, cheese, tomatoes and beef, while you cross over to the former French colonies and you can get some fantastic fusion and Western dishes that would rival the best Thailand's 5-star joints have to offer. Then there's the coffee culture in Vietnam and so on. Obviously you probably don't come here to eat Western food, but when you live here it's nice to fly over to Phnom Penh and get good bread and cheese and such.

Rapsey posted:

edit: A good rule of thumb is. If you see locals eating at the place, it's the real deal. If you only see tourists eating there, it can be hit or miss. It may be because the food sucks or it may just be because it's too expensive for the locals.
Another good one is, generally speaking, to eat at places that look busy during meal times as they're going through their stock faster and that means you're not going to get a piece of chicken that's been sitting out for 5 hours waiting to give you the shits ^__^

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 22, 2012

Gumog
Mar 20, 2009
Interesting - I am always up for new things.

Well, I have about 11 months to prepare before I start my great Asian adventure. If you were to recommend one choice out of the following: either Vietnam, Thailand, or China, to spend a year as my first time in Asia, which one would it be?

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Why just one of those? I would pick Thailand but have not been to China and since this is the SEA thread, I'm guessing most will say Thailand :)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Rapsey posted:

I'm guessing most will say Thailand :)
You guess right! For me anyway.

Another great reason to pick Thailand is: look at a map and then check out things to do, travel destinations and airfares. Thailand's well-placed geographically, but, more importantly, it is a massive international tourist destination, so it's incredibly easy and affordable to get from here to almost anywhere in the region (or inside Thailand). With Air Asia's ascendance you could make an argument for KL now, which would be fair, but then you'd have to live in KL for a year (I like KL, but nowhere compares to Bangkok).

Gumog
Mar 20, 2009
The plan is to use one country as a "base," where I would be working regularly - but take mini-vacations and visits to surrounding areas.

I've watched that Finnish TV show Madventures, China's air looks like pea-soup, Thailand looks beautiful. If there isn't really much different I can make in money between Vietnam and Thailand as well as the cost of living, I guess Thailand it will be!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Gumog posted:

The plan is to use one country as a "base," where I would be working regularly - but take mini-vacations and visits to surrounding areas.

I've watched that Finnish TV show Madventures, China's air looks like pea-soup, Thailand looks beautiful. If there isn't really much different I can make in money between Vietnam and Thailand as well as the cost of living, I guess Thailand it will be!
You pretty much just described my existence. My clients are all over the world and I work mostly virtually (though I do more business in person these days as I branch out regionally). That means I travel constantly to different cities, areas and countries for fun and for business - usually both. Phnom Penh for a business development meeting and spend the rest of the week telecommuting and dicking around. Vientiane for a wedding, telecommute for a couple of days and dick around at night, fly back the next week.

Bangkok is, bar none, the best place to do that from (which is why it's so crowded with people doing that).

EDIT: Misread your post, but I think this addresses it anyway. Yes, you probably won't make much more in Vietnam or Thailand teaching.

EDIT EDIT: Apropos of nothing, please note that Singapore is the only SE Asian country with its own thread - TYPICAL UPPITY SINGAPOREANS LAH.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 22, 2012

Gumog
Mar 20, 2009
How did you start doing that? If I may inquire.

Gumog fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 22, 2012

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Gumog posted:

How did you start doing that? If I may inquire.
I sell wrecking balls.

I kid. Way back when the internet was first commercializing I had been obsessed with Silicon Valley for years, which, along with the birth of the internet, naturally lead to an interest in online work (especially after seeing SV for myself and being turned off). I pretty quickly realized that this stuff was going somewhere and that eventually I'd be able to do it from anywhere in my boxers, so I quit university and joined a local startup and just kept working to create a marketing niche for myself. It's been up and down, but never dull, and eventually the rest of the world caught up and recognized that online marketing wasn't just spam and banner ads and here we are. There are all kinds of careers you can telecommute for these days, just have to get creative and start doing research. It doesn't have to be specifically related to building technology or selling online or whatever. Some people I know play poker, others do medical work remotely, some do remote analysis of scientific data and so on. Find something, start working at it and eventually it becomes a profession. One thing I would say, though, is that if you can figure out a way to help people make money that's the easiest sell in the world, however you do it. People like paying for services that pay for themselves.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 22, 2012

Gumog
Mar 20, 2009
I'm definitely putting Cambodia on my list after watching this. Just 300 dollars to shoot a cow with an RPG!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhe3Vk_54nY

Gumog fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 23, 2012

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
A lot of people flinch, but as long as you eat it (or someone does) I'm okay with it! Haven't done it myself. I heard something about tossing grenades at chickens.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

Gumog posted:

I'm definitely putting Cambodia on my list after watching this. Just 300 dollars to shoot a cow with an RPG!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhe3Vk_54nY

Mate, sometimes the oldest family member will take it for the team, go to the firing range and if you have approx. $2000-3000, let you execute him with any gun you choose!

Although, the cow thing is real but it's really far away man and don't think you think there's been enough bullets shot in Cambodia?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That's the scam: you'll never hit the cow.

RPGs don't fire bullets :ssh:

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Isn't it also $1 a bullet? Sounds like a pretty good scam, $300 bucks for a cow and running through a clip in a few minutes and not hitting anything. Only person that loses is the person who wanted to kill a cow.

Also movies have ruined my expectations for explosions. All you could see was black smoke - where was the orange flames and things catching on fire and the excitement!

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
drat eviljelly i am gonna miss you again, we are heading back to Bangkok. It's beautiful here but the food is just so bad and bland. Going to spend the last two weeks in Bangkok eating street food all day every day, goddamn that poo poo is so good

Gumog
Mar 20, 2009
I did some research into that Cambodian opportunity. Turns out most of those are run by corrupt Cambodian army officers that offer those services to crazy gun-nuts who came to try out the goods. If they caught you filming that for a TV show, you may end up in a ditch - it's illegal.

I don't think I would actually pay 300 dollars to shoot a cow with a rocket - something about it just seems unethical. But, its the sheer fact that it is a possibility in a country to do that makes Cambodia sound so much cooler. (despite grinding poverty and horribleness, which those Finnish guys also covered)

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Gumog posted:

What's the cuisine like in Thailand and Vietnam? I understand what we have in the States is a very sanitized version of what the real stuff is.
If someone told me I could only eat one cuisine for the rest of my life it would come down to a choice between Italian or Thai food. I love SEA food in general but you have to have a particular taste for sour, spicy, and sweet. North American style food is orientated more towards savory in general. SEA food has a lot of lemongrass, cilantro, tamarind, sweet basil, etc.. and other aromatic herbal stuff in it. I think it's delicious and healthy. Thais are really proud (almost to the point of arrogance) about their cuisine but I get it. I just love the flavor profiles. There's some weird stuff like soups made of offal and fried insects but that's offal is pretty standard stuff in international cuisine. The insects are mostly a NE Thailand delicacy and not part of the average Somchai's palate.

Vietnamese food is delicious too and i'm a huge fan of Pho. I ate Pho almost 3 times a day in Vietnam. It's wonderful to kick start your day with a nice hot (and spicy) bowl of Pho.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

Bangkok is, bar none, the best place to do that from (which is why it's so crowded with people doing that).
I've always wanted to live in and be based in Asia. I blame this on my mother taking me on an extended vacation to Taiwan when I was little and I was completely enamored with how different and cool things were compared to middle class America. That sort of never left my mind and grew in me. Plus with things going to hell in a handbasket in America it's easy to just sort of check out indefinitely.

For me personally it came down to a choice between Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore. I also considered China but not seriously.

Thailand simply has the best combination of cost of living out any of them especially with someone on a fixed income. I would have honestly preferred Taiwan since I can speak some Mandarin but it's just too pricey and not enough to do there. I'm not a former corrupt third world dictator so Singapore was off the table too but I would have liked living there as well. Hong Kong was just too expensive too.

I still visit most of those places semi-regularly probably not unlike yourself.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Hong Kong is probably the only one there I'd seriously consider out of the list, but the cost of living is ridiculous and the place is loving tiny. If you wanna go anywhere that's not Hong Kong, count on some travel time. Of course it's the other old school massive travel hub, Bangkok being the old school counterpart, so you can get to *anywhere* from HK. These days with China all opened up you can fly drat near anywhere from anywhere I guess.

In fairness, I've not been to Taiwan. I have a friend who lived there for 20 years and loved it (moved here) who said it's really nice, but kinda provincial in its own way. I was surprised to hear him say that.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

In fairness, I've not been to Taiwan. I have a friend who lived there for 20 years and loved it (moved here) who said it's really nice, but kinda provincial in its own way. I was surprised to hear him say that.
It's the only nation in the world that has "traditional" Chinese society and culture intact. People tend not to understand how different Taiwan is from its (some would say distant) mainland cousin until they get there. There were a couple weibo posts showing Chinese traditions practiced in Taiwan that mainlanders thought were fascinating as hell because some of those traditions were erased by the cultural revolution long ago. Plus you get a lot less of the spitting, loud mouthed, selfish oval office type behavior that the mainland Chinese are known for.

The TWD and Baht is really close to the same..around 29-31 to a $1. However as a rule of thumb cost of living in Taiwan is at least 30% more expensive. Quality is better too but it's a country of the middle class.

B-Rad
Aug 8, 2006

Modus Operandi posted:

It's the only nation in the world that has "traditional" Chinese society and culture intact. People tend not to understand how different Taiwan is from its (some would say distant) mainland cousin until they get there. There were a couple weibo posts showing Chinese traditions practiced in Taiwan that mainlanders thought were fascinating as hell because some of those traditions were erased by the cultural revolution long ago. Plus you get a lot less of the spitting, loud mouthed, selfish oval office type behavior that the mainland Chinese are known for.

The TWD and Baht is really close to the same..around 29-31 to a $1. However as a rule of thumb cost of living in Taiwan is at least 30% more expensive. Quality is better too but it's a country of the middle class.

The rent seems MUCH cheaper in Taipei than in Beijing, but the costs of restaurants and general service-industry stuff is much more because they have to pay people more than 1500 Kuai a month to work :)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Modus Operandi posted:

Plus you get a lot less of the spitting, loud mouthed, selfish oval office type behavior that the mainland Chinese are known for.
On that note, the friend of mine who loved there for a couple decades has a great story about being caught for a day during a mudslide on some coastal highway in the middle of nowhere with a bus full of mainlanders. The eventual exit route required carefully slinking alongside a jacknifed gas tanker and they're all pushing ahead, trying to bring their luggage with them and so on. Fuel's spilled out of the tanker and they're warning everyone not to smoke, so of course the mainlanders aren't having any of THAT and start lighting up left and right next to the truck. My experience with mainlanders in Bangkok has been sort of like this, though I have to say that they seem to be polite once they realize they're embarrassing themselves publicly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

B-Rad posted:

The rent seems MUCH cheaper in Taipei than in Beijing, but the costs of restaurants and general service-industry stuff is much more because they have to pay people more than 1500 Kuai a month to work :)
That's true but TW does import a lot of SE Asian laborers from maids to construction to misc. service industry to wives. There are booku Vietnamese wives in Taiwan. In fact there are so many that the government was hand wringing for awhile about the increasingly skewed marriage stats of TW men with foreign (Mainland and Vietnamese mostly) wives.

ReindeerF posted:

My experience with mainlanders in Bangkok has been sort of like this, though I have to say that they seem to be polite once they realize they're embarrassing themselves publicly.
Back around March when I was coming in from Vietnam I had the unfortunate experience of being stuck in the immigration queue one fine early saturday afternoon. They were doing some renovation crap at Suavarnabumi and there were probably at least 400+ people waiting in the hall. People were lined up all the way out to the main terminal walkways.

In front of me was a large extended family of Chinese people all cutting, shouting out crap, and pissing everyone off. Nothing is more grating than older Chinese auntie types speaking loudly. The behavior is like they have ADHD or something because they have to keep fidgeting while bumping into you while shouting out nonsense. Unfortunately I could understand what they were saying and it just made everything that much more miserable.

One Thai airport security guy could (amazingly) speak some Mandarin. Every time they would try to cut he would smile and herd them back like little puppies. I commend him for his tolerance.

Then to my right were Russians doing the same poo poo except pushing their way through the mass of people. To my left were english speaking tourists whining the whole time.

It was like the 9th circle of hell. I wanted to do a backflip onto my head and just end it.