Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!
I recently updated my online portfolio / presence to show some new-ish work.

https://www.rhysd.com

I was part of a bunch of people made redundant due to company liquidation back in January. There are maybe a handful of game development studios left in Australia now, so it's tough competition. Relying on Freelance is not really a road I'd like to travel down either.

I have been thinking about the Indie path, and am developing small games to pass the time.

Just wondering if there were any other Aussies here looking for work, and any tips/success stories for budding artists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
So I had a really great phone interview with the development team of a company and got an email a couple of days later that basically said that everyone liked me and they want to continue the interview process but they can't devote the time right now to potentially hire and train a new person because they are close to shipping a product. And they would contact me later when they have the time to see if I'm still interested.

Has anyone had this kind of experience before?
I'd really love to join this company but I have other opportunities that are knocking on my door. So unfortunate :/

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
If you own the computer you're developing on, you're indie.

If the company kitchen is also your apartment's kitchen, you're indie.

If you do not have anyone making paper seats before using the toilet, you're indie.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
This is quickly becoming "You might be a redneck" territory.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

xgalaxy posted:

So I had a really great phone interview with the development team of a company and got an email a couple of days later that basically said that everyone liked me and they want to continue the interview process but they can't devote the time right now to potentially hire and train a new person because they are close to shipping a product. And they would contact me later when they have the time to see if I'm still interested.

I'd really love to join this company but I have other opportunities that are knocking on my door. So unfortunate :/

I had a company that wanted to hire me string me along for 2.5 months before I took a job elsewhere. They kept telling me they were looking to put together a 3d team for their web/Facebook stuff and during the interview string along with them I stumbled into another job, interviewed, flew out, sat on their offer (while telling stringalong company that I needed to move the process forward as I had an offer elsewhere) before the one company told me they were still a month away.

Don't tell them to get hosed but do continue to look elsewhere. If they are really in need of you they'll hire you a earlier rather than lose you.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

This is quickly becoming "You might be a redneck" territory.
If there's more than 3 dogs sleeping under your office's porch, you might be an indie.

If you've got to flatten from trunk to find working code, you might be an indie.

If you own 3 development devices that work and 4 that don't, you might be an indie.

Indies even have their words. Like "sensuous." They were all "Hey Anita Sarkeesian, sensuous up on Kickstarter, get ma' a beer!"

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 23, 2012

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
If your source control tree doesn't fork, you might be an indie.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sigma-X posted:

If your source control tree doesn't fork, you might be an indie.

I think we have a winner.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Shalinor posted:

If there's more than 3 dogs sleeping under your office's porch, you might be an indie.

If you've got to flatten from trunk to find working code, you might be an indie.

If you own 3 development devices that work and 4 that don't, you might be an indie.

Indies even have their words. Like "sensuous." They were all "Hey Anita Sarkeesian, sensuous up on Kickstarter, get ma' a beer!"

If you're spending your own money on a project, you might be an indie.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

xgalaxy posted:

I first talked with my current company back in November. I had a phone interview shortly after. They were starting a new project but still had nothing solid so they told me to wait for a few months. I met one of them at GDC and we had like a 30 min talk. It wasn't really an interview, I just showed him my portfolio again and he talked a little about the project and what he was looking for. He also made it clear that they they were very interested in hiring me but were still planning the project. We kept in touch and eventually it happened. It took about 6 months but I am glad it worked out.

Edit: If you have other offers you should consider them, I had nothing else.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 23, 2012

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Shalinor posted:

I died laughing.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I want to start looking for a new job, hopefully as a character artist. All my previous experience has been on DS and iPhone though so it's really low res and doesn't even have a specular map let alone a normal map.

As a prospective employer would you think one hopefully good model (which I'm doing now) of current/next gen spec would be enough to prove I can create higher res character models with all the trimmings, or would you expect several?

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Just got a call from Treyarch about a job! QA, but still, I'm pumped. It's good to be back.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Got an email back! Wooo I got a job again! Now just waiting to hear the details about the contract.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

concerned mom posted:

I want to start looking for a new job, hopefully as a character artist. All my previous experience has been on DS and iPhone though so it's really low res and doesn't even have a specular map let alone a normal map.

As a prospective employer would you think one hopefully good model (which I'm doing now) of current/next gen spec would be enough to prove I can create higher res character models with all the trimmings, or would you expect several?

Probably not. But ArenaNet is having an open to everybody art test for Character Artist positions over there. That would be a pretty good testament to your skills.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

concerned mom posted:

If you were applying as a character artist with us we would want to see several.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for getting back to me guys. I guess I have a mountain to climb but at least it's a fun mountain!

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 24, 2012

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Has anyone worked for or had experiences with Pole to Win? They seem to be beefing up their UK office, but they're JP owned, so I'm kind of curious what the corporate culture is like.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Can a bunch of references and reccomendations from senior people make up for a bit of a lacking portfolio?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

Can a bunch of references and reccomendations from senior people make up for a bit of a lacking portfolio?

I really hope this is sarcasm. If you're talking about an artist position probably hell no. Maybe at a company you probably wouldn't want to work at in the first place.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

MustardFacial posted:

1.) Mother loving absofuckinglutely for the love of goddingly aw Hells Nah a/o No. With the S, because it's 4 realsies, dawg.

2.) See #1

It doesn't matter what position you're talking about, so long as it's one that requires a portfolio. See #2.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 26, 2012

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

ceebee posted:

I really hope this is sarcasm. If you're talking about an artist position probably hell no. Maybe at a company you probably wouldn't want to work at in the first place.

It was partial sarcasm. I already knew the answer but wanted to make sure first. Given the vitriol received I'm going to start improving my portfolio.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

RhysD posted:

I recently updated my online portfolio / presence to show some new-ish work.

https://www.rhysd.com

I was part of a bunch of people made redundant due to company liquidation back in January. There are maybe a handful of game development studios left in Australia now, so it's tough competition. Relying on Freelance is not really a road I'd like to travel down either.

I have been thinking about the Indie path, and am developing small games to pass the time.

Just wondering if there were any other Aussies here looking for work, and any tips/success stories for budding artists.

I'm an Australian, although I have a job (Which was astonishingly lucky really, I got laid off from Krome just a few months before all the jobs dried up).

edit: Although we only have a programming position open at the moment, I'm afraid. :( I'll try to keep an eye out if anything else comes up, though.

I really like a lot of the stuff in your folio, although I'd probably recommend either pushing down or removing the low-poly trucks. You have some fantastic stuff on there, but the trucks look really flat and amateurish in comparison and it brings the folio down.

Also your resume might need a little work, since it takes a bit of digging to work out what your primary strengths are. Maybe lead with a short section laying out your primary skills before industry experience? I'm not an expert on resumes so I'm sure someone else here can give a better critique on it.

AntiPseudonym fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 26, 2012

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

MustardFacial posted:

It was partial sarcasm. I already knew the answer but wanted to make sure first. Given the vitriol received I'm going to start improving my portfolio.

An easy rule of thumb: References and contacts can get you the interview, but nothing but the portfolio will get you the job.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

mutata posted:

An easy rule of thumb: References and contacts can get you the interview, but nothing but the portfolio will get you the job.

ok follow up question: How far does a decent handie get you in an interview?

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Is the Neverwinter Nights engine too out of date for me to start working with it for experience? Is there a newer RPG game with an editor I should start looking at? I guess I could look at Skyrim but.... blech.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Depends on which hand you draw better with

D1Sergo posted:

Is the Neverwinter Nights engine too out of date for me to start working with it for experience? Is there a newer RPG game with an editor I should start looking at? I guess I could look at Skyrim but.... blech.

I don't really think the NWN module tools are too out of date; After all a lot of what you would learn while doing it would still be relevent to most modern day RPGs. but it would help to delve into modern engines and RPGs as well. Skyrim is an interesting choice, but it's an FPS and the 3rd dimension always seems to add a layer of fucktitude to the tools... I would look at games like Titan quest/NWN 2/Diablo 3 maybe even Starcraft 2 given the power of those tools.

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 26, 2012

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Diablo 3 doesn't have an editor unfortunately. Otherwise fans of Diablo 2 could've made a better game by now.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
I'm pretty waist deep in Starcraft 2 right now, I should probably focus on that for a while but I was kind of poking around to see what's available. I actually have been getting bunch of experience using the game tools at my work (I'm a tools/BVT tester)- it's actually been REALLY amazing and fun, I've made a full (short/crude) working level with scripting and encounters in our game's engine, although its kind of rough that I won't be able to put anything in a portfolio or even really talk about it due to the NDA.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

MustardFacial posted:

You are asking the internet when you are literally surrounded by people who can better answer your questions at work every day.

Relaying the advice that got me my promotions over the year, and it's directly relevant to you since you work in a game studio already:

Talk to people who: A) Have the job you want B) Work as a peer to the job you want and C) Hire for the job you want to get. Your goal is to learn about the skills you need to acquire, but more importantly, build support in the eyes of your colleagues in getting you promoted.

The second most important thing is to apply for positions you want, even if you think you might not be quite qualified. If you have a good interview, you may lose the position to someone with experience, but it's games, poo poo happens, people will quit and a project will be in need and you need to demonstrate that you are willing, eager, and there right now. I never got promoted without interviewing for a position I didn't get first. Does HR still have this Gretzky quote up: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"?

The last and most important piece of advice, is when seeking a promotion, treat that quest for a new job like a second job AKA "don't slack off in the role you have." If you want to land a gig internally, you are better off getting a shot by being the tester who rocks the house at testing who wants to be a designer, rather than the bored tester who needs to move into design in order to keep motivated. It even helps you externally, since sometimes it's the guys who have moved to other studios who remember you were looking for a particular job and give you the opportunity.

TLDR version: Talk to everyone, roll as many dice as you can, always work hard, repeat.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

MustardFacial posted:

ok follow up question: How far does a decent handie get you in an interview?

give me one and I'll let you know.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

AntiPseudonym posted:

I'm an Australian, although I have a job (Which was astonishingly lucky really, I got laid off from Krome just a few months before all the jobs dried up).

Oh hey another Melb games goon. Can I ask if you're still in the state or did you have to leave to get work?

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

SynthOrange posted:

Oh hey another Melb games goon. Can I ask if you're still in the state or did you have to leave to get work?

Still in Melbourne, thankfully. Although if anything happens to this job (Touch wood it doesn't) I'm probably going to have to go overseas if I want to stay in the industry. :(

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

AntiPseudonym posted:

edit: Although we only have a programming position open at the moment, I'm afraid. :( I'll try to keep an eye out if anything else comes up, though.

I really like a lot of the stuff in your folio, although I'd probably recommend either pushing down or removing the low-poly trucks. You have some fantastic stuff on there, but the trucks look really flat and amateurish in comparison and it brings the folio down.

Also your resume might need a little work, since it takes a bit of digging to work out what your primary strengths are. Maybe lead with a short section laying out your primary skills before industry experience? I'm not an expert on resumes so I'm sure someone else here can give a better critique on it.

Thanks for the critique, I'll definitely look for something to replace the trucks with. Will probably start a fresh project.

Will bump the primary strengths in the resume as well. I agree that skills are probably more relevant for employers when sifting through applications.

Any heads up would also be very appreciated! I used to work in Melbourne a few years ago, quite a nice city to live and work :)

Nagna Zul
Aug 9, 2008
It's been said many times before in this thread, but it's worth re-iterating:

Holding a box of your own, finished game is an awesome feeling.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Nagna Zul posted:

Congrats!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Nagna Zul posted:

I work in Mobile/social games :emo:

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Chernabog posted:

I work in Mobile/social games :emo:

I was just thinking the same thing. Downloading your game on the app store doesn't have the same feeling. :(

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.
When I made iPhone games, I just framed my favorite one-star reviews!

this is the wurst word gam i playd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

waffledoodle posted:

When I made iPhone games, I just framed my favorite one-star reviews!

this is the wurst word gam i playd

At least on iPhone you get complaints besides "doesnt work" from some device youve never heard of :(