Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Duke of Ben
Jul 12, 2005
Listen, if you're not going to tell me how the entire world economic, political, and social order can be completely replaced in every detail, then I think maybe you should consider that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Check and mate.

TontoCorazon posted:

I get irrationally angry at empty cups. Somebody would be drinking from a paper coffee cup and set it down and you hear that distinct empty cup sound then you realize the actors have been drinking from an empty cup that whole scene. :rant:

My wife pointed this out to me while we were watching Scrubs and I can't unsee it now. It's like every single show (and tons of movies) do this, and I can't see any reason at all for it. It's not hard to hold a cup without spilling the contents, and it allows the actors to move in realistic fashions. Seeing some actor wave his hand around with a "full" cup of coffee completely pulls me out of the scene.

Anyone know why they do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

The Duke of Ben posted:

My wife pointed this out to me while we were watching Scrubs and I can't unsee it now. It's like every single show (and tons of movies) do this, and I can't see any reason at all for it. It's not hard to hold a cup without spilling the contents, and it allows the actors to move in realistic fashions. Seeing some actor wave his hand around with a "full" cup of coffee completely pulls me out of the scene.

Anyone know why they do it?

Slightly cheaper, less chance for spill, easier to maintain continuity shots.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Chunk posted:

You also don't feed your actors whatever should be in the cup. Also, if food is involved, you'll notice they never actually eat any of it.

They don't eat because that food is going to be out for hours during the shoot and actors also have to maintain their body weights.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Chunk posted:

Not always cheaper though, in a lot of shows they'll go as far as to give the actors empty cups and add steam later with CGI to make it look like they're drinking a hot beverage.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

VendaGoat posted:

They don't eat because that food is going to be out for hours during the shoot and actors also have to maintain their body weights.

But it's Tikka Masala!!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

The Duke of Ben posted:

Castle is terrible with this. Every episode the guy walks in with two extra large empty coffee cups that he waves all over the place. But what's irrational about it is that in an earlier season, he buys an espresso machine for the precinct. I understand bringing cafe coffee when they're on assignment, but he brings in coffee every day into the building.

Vigilante Banana
Jul 28, 2010

Low five! Yaaaaaay

lord funk posted:

Castle is terrible with this. Every episode the guy walks in with two extra large empty coffee cups that he waves all over the place. But what's irrational about it is that in an earlier season, he buys an espresso machine for the precinct. I understand bringing cafe coffee when they're on assignment, but he brings in coffee every day into the building.

NCIS is bad with this, too. I think McGee is the worst about it. Whenever he has a coffee cup in his hands, he holds it like it's completely empty but acts as if there's liquid in the cup. How do people get to the point where they're playing lead roles in long-running TV shows and they STILL don't know how to feign an object's weight? That's something you learn in a basic theatre class.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:confused: His coffee could just be cooled off enough that using the handle isn't needed. It isn't a requirement.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:confused: His coffee could just be cooled off enough that using the handle isn't needed. It isn't a requirement.

Nobody's talking about mugs, nor temperature. This is about the to-go cardboard cups you get at Starbucks or wherever. When you've got a full cup of hot coffee, you hold it a certain way. Like, you wouldn't swing it around quickly or tip it more than a few degrees to take a sip, because it's almost full.

There's a particular scene I remember in Scrubs where Turk and JD buy coffee from a vendor, and as they walk away Turk takes a drink and lifts the cup up nearly horizontal.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
To be fair to Scrubs. They also had a scene where Elliott tried to do the same thing as a smug "I'm right" gesture but the cup turns out to be full of hot coffee she immediately has to spit out.

This whole discussion is making me want to watch the Arrested Development episode where Tobias mentions how detailed the set dressing in Hollywood shows are before taking a to-go coffee cup out of an otherwise empty cupboard.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Razorwired posted:

To be fair to Scrubs. They also had a scene where Elliott tried to do the same thing as a smug "I'm right" gesture but the cup turns out to be full of hot coffee she immediately has to spit out.

Yeah, they played on it a couple of times. The Janitor does it by stealing JD's coffee at one point.

"That's my latte! And it's scalding hot!"
"Nnn. Yeah it is. Whoa."

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Oh yeah, I forgot he uses the paper cups and not an actual coffee mug :downs: That'll learn me for trying to rely on my memory when I haven't seen an episode of NCIS in months.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
This reminds that in the movie Oceans Eleven Brad Pitt is eating something in like every scene. He's mowing (mao-ing?) down on nachos or a sandwich or a shrimp cocktail in for the whole movie.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Paper Diamonds posted:

This reminds that in the movie Oceans Eleven Brad Pitt is eating something in like every scene. He's mowing (mao-ing?) down on nachos or a sandwich or a shrimp cocktail in for the whole movie.

I'm irrationally irritated about how now I can never not notice his glass of shrimp turn into a plate of shrimp. This is why I don't read the IMDb goofs page any more, ignorance is bliss.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

VendaGoat posted:

You also don't feed your actors whatever should be in the cup. Also, if food is involved, you'll notice they never actually eat any of it.

I've heard that the guy who plays Jason on True Blood actually eats ridiculous amounts of food during filming.

Paper Diamonds posted:

Not just that movie.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Leovinus posted:

Nobody's talking about mugs, nor temperature. This is about the to-go cardboard cups you get at Starbucks or wherever. When you've got a full cup of hot coffee, you hold it a certain way. Like, you wouldn't swing it around quickly or tip it more than a few degrees to take a sip, because it's almost full.

There's a particular scene I remember in Scrubs where Turk and JD buy coffee from a vendor, and as they walk away Turk takes a drink and lifts the cup up nearly horizontal.

He drinks it like it was a soft drink rather than scalding hot coffee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ45xrtNnzk&t=15s

I remember this one because it has Colin Haye :3

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I've heard that the guy who plays Jason on True Blood actually eats ridiculous amounts of food during filming.

There will always be exceptions or times that the actor will eat to maintain their weight.

Chris Hemsworth from Thor and the Avengers would be a good example. When you are training your body to develop that much muscle, you must eat and eat quite a bit actually. So I am apt to believe that he was in fact eating that shawarma at the end.

However, you can safely assume that the entire cast of scrubs didn't eat or ate very little of the food that was constantly present in front of them.

I would also use the entire cast of The Big Bang Theory. If they all honestly ate all the food that show presented them with, they would all be a lot larger.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Apparently Hemsworth was physically ill by the end of shooting the last scene of Avengers because of how many shawarma he ate from all the retakes.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Mr. Maltose posted:

Apparently Hemsworth was physically ill by the end of shooting the last scene of Avengers because of how many shawarma he ate from all the retakes.

I honestly had no idea that I would be factually accurate when I made my statement. A simple Google search does seem to confirm it though.

The mighty Thor, felled by a pita pocket and some lamb.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Everything about The Human Centipede could be posted here. I seriously could just make my next 20 posts in this thread about poo poo from that movie. One really weird part was when Heiter imitated chicken clucking but instead of going "cluck cluck cluck" like a regular human being, he chokes out a very guttural "HACKA HOCKA HACKA HAAAA." Seriously, who the gently caress does that. That question could be applied to anything Heiter does, actually.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
There's a scene in Chinatown where Jack Nicholson has a conversation with someone (the villain, I think?) over lunch, and he eats (as in, cuts up, chews and swallows, in a single take) most of a chicken dinner while talking. It was one of the most amazing things I'd ever seen in a film.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The scene in The Recruit where Colin Farrell and Al Pacino are eating crab is genuine, at least partially, because I remember from either the commentary or a making-of feature that by the time they wrapped up with that scene, their faces were covered in crab.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

How many takes did they need to do to film that one 30-second scene of them sitting round a table silently eating some shawarma?? Of all the scenes in that film, you would've thought that one would be easy enough. :v:

VendaGoat posted:

I would also use the entire cast of The Big Bang Theory. If they all honestly ate all the food that show presented them with, they would all be a lot larger.

True this. They seem to have take-away or fast food restaurant "meal nights" every day of the week, they should be huge.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Kurt Russell eats an absurd amount of nachos in Death Proof. I recall reading that he actually did consume them, but I could be wrong.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Paper Diamonds posted:

He does this so often that it has to be some sort of in-joke. Remember in Fight Club, when Ed Norton's character calls Tyler, and Tyler calls back--what noise did you hear?

CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH

Dude is eating potato chips in the booth while recording those lines. It's as if his contract rider mandates that he be allowed to eat stuff in every film he's in.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Hey, there's a reason why his last name is Pitt.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Chunk posted:

Continuity is the thing that really gets me with regard to food/drink. There's a scene in Secret Window (which has so many bigger problems, I know) where Johnny Depp is sitting around a table with his wife and an investigator, and they all have cold glasses of water in front of them. Except the camera cuts back, and the condensation is gone. The next time it cuts back, the condensation is back, but half of the glass is empty. Then it cuts back again and the glass is full, but there is no condensation at all. This keeps happening for the entire scene, and it drives me nuts.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Celery Face posted:

Everything about The Human Centipede could be posted here. I seriously could just make my next 20 posts in this thread about poo poo from that movie. One really weird part was when Heiter imitated chicken clucking but instead of going "cluck cluck cluck" like a regular human being, he chokes out a very guttural "HACKA HOCKA HACKA HAAAA." Seriously, who the gently caress does that. That question could be applied to anything Heiter does, actually.

Perhaps the colon goes beyond the butt cheeks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9TXVMkQ29g

Mr_Zombie
Mar 27, 2011

oldpainless posted:

You know who did "someone overhears something and misinterprets it and poo poo goes wrong and no one just plainly asks for clarification" all the time?

Frasier.

Yeah, it's called farce. Frasier was really good at it.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

hyperhazard posted:

Continuity is the thing that really gets me with regard to food/drink. There's a scene in Secret Window (which has so many bigger problems, I know) where Johnny Depp is sitting around a table with his wife and an investigator, and they all have cold glasses of water in front of them. Except the camera cuts back, and the condensation is gone. The next time it cuts back, the condensation is back, but half of the glass is empty. Then it cuts back again and the glass is full, but there is no condensation at all. This keeps happening for the entire scene, and it drives me nuts.

Yeah but this derail was mostly about to-go coffee cups. White cardboard that you can't see through. Just stick a bit of room temperature water in there if your actors keep holding the things at 45 degree angles for entire shots.

Vigilante Banana
Jul 28, 2010

Low five! Yaaaaaay
It's not even the angle of the cup, though. You will hold and gesture with an empty cup differently than you will hold/gesture with a full cup of liquid. There is a definite visible weight to your movements when there is actually something in the cup. A good actor will know how to feign that, even if a cup is empty. But I guess that's something that gets stressed on stage more than in movies or TV, since you can go back and edit takes.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
There is this one part in The Human Centipede when two policeman come to Heiter's (the evil doctor) house because they think he might have a connection with the missing tourists because their car was by his house. Heiter decides to slip roofies into the police officer's drinks presumably to kill them. I know Heiter might be intended to be stupid but I couldn't believe anyone would do that. That obviously would just result in more police officers coming to his house. Despite the fact that they don't trust Heiter, they drink what he gave them.
I don't get it. Also, Heiter is pretty evil looking and has the social skills of a bag of skittles.

Heiter then freaks out, screams at them, jokes about having a torture chamber in his basement (which he does) and shoves a drugged glass in the face of an officer, wide eyed, creepily telling him to drink it. The police officer actually knocks the glass out of his hands like anyone with a brain would do. Heiter leaves the room and comes back with a needle badly concealed in a towel. When the officers notice it and ask him what it is, Heiter tells them that its insulin while his eyes dart from side to side. The police officers just leave his house. Wouldn't a police officer just handcuff him after that sort of behavior? Are people in horror movies always that stupid?

Heiter is German for cheerful.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 05:30 on Jun 23, 2012

brinstar
Aug 10, 2003

1. The phrase "back there" ruins any scene I hear it in. You know what I mean, even if you've never thought about it: Actor 1 and Actor 2 are traveling together, away from some sort of encounter which we are made to understand JUST happened. In an action-oriented movie this could be a shootout or fistfight; in a drama it's probably some sort of emotional encounter or argument. Whatever the circumstances, the very next scene begins with the characters not speaking, then Actor 1 turns to Actor 2 with some variation of "All right, you wanna explain what the hell just happened back there?" which then touches off some sort of dialogue-based exposition. Common to action movies is the phrase "You really saved my rear end back there!" I loving cringe every time I hear it. It's so :effort:.

2. Floodlights in forests at night. You know, I can forgive dash lights illuminating actors' faces enough so we can see their expressions, and I can forgive when images from a screen an actor is looking at are projected onto the actor's face because it's a cool effect, but I have ALWAYS hated how any movie scene that happens in a forest at nighttime has these huge floodlights in the background so we can see what's going on. It's loving dark as poo poo in a forest at night. Here's an example; it's from an old-rear end film but you'll see this in any modern film too. Also, along similar lines, I don't think I have ever seen fog in a forest at night (though that's at least plausible). I'm sure there are movies that really make the effort to do a night forest right, but the only one coming to mind right now is The Blair Witch Project.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This is VERY irrational - but when they were making Lord of the Rings, John Rhys-Davies mentioned during an interview how happy he was that the movies very deliberately avoid any 4th wall breaking "winks" to the camera.

In The Two Towers when Aragorn shows up at Helms Deep and meets Legolas, Gimli comes barreling in demanding to see him (they thought Aragorn was dead), apparently furious to cover up how happy he is that Aragorn is alive. When he arrives he clearly wants to talk/hang out with Aragorn, who immediately tells him that he needs to see Theoden so where is he? Gimli turns directly to the camera purely because that's the direction of the room where Theoden can be found, and points in that direction.

The thing is, every single time it feels to me like he's look directly at the camera/the audience, and the slightly exasperated look on his face gives me a,"Can you BELIEVE this guy?" vibe. It's absolutely NOT intended to be that way, and the feeling only lasts a second before I realize/remember that he's showing Aragorn the way to go. But probably due to the fact I read that interview, I am irrationally irritated every time I see it. It's silly, and completely my fault, but that's what the thread is for.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I realize that it's a minor thing, but watching Die Hard 2 again made me realize just how conspicuous Colonel Stuart's men were. All wearing combat boots, very obviously moving in unison, particularly when they first leave their hotel rooms to head to the airport. Maybe it's just growing up in a post 9/11 world, but even if they were all lily-white, someone would comment upon this behavior to the police.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Alternative pants posted:

I realize that it's a minor thing, but watching Die Hard 2 again made me realize just how conspicuous Colonel Stuart's men were. All wearing combat boots, very obviously moving in unison, particularly when they first leave their hotel rooms to head to the airport. Maybe it's just growing up in a post 9/11 world, but even if they were all lily-white, someone would comment upon this behavior to the police.
Also shots fired in an airport and the police don't see it as such a big deal. Definitely pre-9/11 syndrome.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A tv show rather than a movie, but the music on the Newsroom ruins a bunch of scenes of what was otherwise a great pilot. When Will is ranting about how America is not the greatest country on earth, it starts out brilliant. Then out of nowhere there is this awful diegesic piano as he talks about how :911: America used to be great :911: and I was completely taken out of the scene. I feel like the criticism of the shows preachiness would be lighter if it weren't for the terrible music.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Really dumb jail or prison guards annoy me in movies or tv, like in the Dark Knight when the Joker is taunting the guy in the interrogation room and manages to goad him into a fight which he wins offscreen. Why isn't he just left alone in a cell? Game of Thrones did this as well, a guy kills his friend and then kills the guard who comes in and bends over to check the body with his back to the guy. It's a loving open prison cell in a field and the most important prisoner, why not have two guards? One who stays outside with a bow and one who does the checking if they really need to do that and he doesn't have the key to the prisoners chains. Or just tell him to enjoy the new dead guy decoration he made for himself in his filthy cell. I realise they need to advance the plot but they could write it better without making another character look like a complete moron.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

The guard in Dark Knight admits he screwed up while he's in the chokehold (Its kind of hard to hear him over all the commotion, though.) and tells them to just shut up and shoot Joker. No one listens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
I've just rewatched Jurassic Park for the first time in many years, and something in one of the opening scenes stood out to me. When Grant's looking at the raptor fossil that their radar tech has picked up in the ground, and he's talking about how they're like birds some kid pipes up about how it's not scary, it's "like a 6-foot turkey"*. Obviously, Grant goes off into his little monologue about how raptors would tear you limb from limb. But the really obvious thing is that the kid's not just uninformed, he's an idiot. A goddamn six foot turkey would be terrifying, have you even seen an emu?

*Let's avoid the whole "raptors were actually the size of a large chicken thing", please.

• Locked thread