Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
Was really hoping for a 2012 release, hmm.. Are there any other supplements for the other lines coming out this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Miruvor posted:

Was really hoping for a 2012 release, hmm.. Are there any other supplements for the other lines coming out this year?

Tons of stuff. A book on the Lathe Worlds, one for the Navigator Houses, a bestiary, the Tzeentch book for Black Crusade, some adventures, just tons of stuff.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What is a good guideline for houseruling exploding barrels?

RAW a 20L jerrycan of Promethium does 40d10 E damage in a 80m radius and a 55 gallon oil drum would throw out 400d10 in damage and make a fireball a mile in diameter, which is obviously a bit on the high side as you'd need a Nomad to detonate the latter and still be close enough to the edge of the blast to Dodge out of it.

Do they power engines with pipette drip feeds in the 41st millennium?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I would treat it as a flamer attack, with the caveat that you can't dodge if you're more than your movement value away from the edge.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Asehujiko posted:

RAW a 20L jerrycan of Promethium does 40d10 E damage in a 80m radius and a 55 gallon oil drum would throw out 400d10 in damage and make a fireball a mile in diameter, which is obviously a bit on the high side as you'd need a Nomad to detonate the latter and still be close enough to the edge of the blast to Dodge out of it.

I had no idea it was that explosive. Which book has those rules?

This does remind me of the time a player accidentaly set a planet on fire.

It was Kulth, and I had established that it was a mostly desert planet with huge reserves of Promethium, which led the Imperium and the Orks to fight over it. To cut things short, at the climax of the chronicle the players had to disable a Necron artefact that was syphoning power off an Ork thermal reactor over an active volcano. They didn't have much time as the device was bringing a Necron Monolith to the planet.

Cue to all the PCs with technological competence providing fire support, while only the Black Templar (who doesn't know how to operate anything other than his weapons and armor) actually got close enough to do anything about the artefact.

"I hit it with my hammer."

The xeno artefact was destroyed, the Orky reactor overloaded, the volcano began to rumble and after an apocalyptic explosion the underground Promethium reserves ignited, setting most of the planet on fire. The PCs were highly commended for their valiant efforts.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I had no idea it was that explosive. Which book has those rules?

Inquisitor's Handbook, page 178 posted:

Promethium explosives inflict 2d10 E Damage for
every kilogram used in their construction and have a blast
radius of four times their weight in kilograms. In addition,
anyone caught in the radius of a promethium explosion must
make an Agility Test or catch on fire.

On the other hand, two jerry cans of the stuff is enough to buy a Nomad :v:

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I think that's specifically "promethium-based explosives," not just raw promethium.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Only War demo is up for download.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I see Mordians and Armageddon Steel Legionaries in the artwork.

And of course Catachan and Scintillans making a guest appearance from Dark Heresy's setting.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Huh, this adventure looks surprisingly good- time limit, a whole host of things to do, lots of :black101:, I like!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
And now you can buy a beta version of the core rules for $20?

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/103312?src=OnlyWarCmail

I don't get it.

edit: it would be a better value proposition if buying it would get you 20 bucks off the final version when it comes out. FFG would still get the benefit of getting some of the cash up front, and they'd get to keep it even if people don't get the full version.

I kind of understand not wanting to just plop a huge chunk of the book out there for free, but this is a bit stingy.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 22, 2012

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

#acolyte faggot Hall of Fame
Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan
I am tempted to run 11th Hour as a PbP, actually.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What is it with this industry and disingenuous playtests?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wikipedia Brown posted:

And now you can buy a beta version of the core rules for $20?

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/103312?src=OnlyWarCmail

I don't get it.

edit: it would be a better value proposition if buying it would get you 20 bucks off the final version when it comes out. FFG would still get the benefit of getting some of the cash up front, and they'd get to keep it even if people don't get the full version.

I kind of understand not wanting to just plop a huge chunk of the book out there for free, but this is a bit stingy.

Man I am NOT complaining :hawaaaafap:

EDIT: And it seems buying this DOES get you a $20 discount on the full pdf, so I dunno what's there to complain about.

EDIT 2: Ohmigodempra ohmigodempra ohmigodempra you can play Death Korps! :hawaaaafap: Seriously, these mofuggas is TOUGH.

EDIT 3: Oh dear godempra, the Random Issue Gear table :roflolmao: Basically, if you roll well/screw up your character's requisition of items, you roll on this table, and get some stuff- which can range from a case of Ogryn dress uniforms, 20 survival suits )not adapted to present theatre of operations), hi-res orbital pictures of the battlefront (in a case marked 'High Command Only'), and hilariously, a jeweled box bearing an Inquisitorial seal. The best part? You can keep this swag, because the Munitorum isn't aware that these items have been issued.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 23, 2012

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

CommissarMega posted:

EDIT: And it seems buying this DOES get you a $20 discount on the full pdf, so I dunno what's there to complain about.

I don't read good. :haw:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

moths posted:

What is it with this industry and disingenuous playtests?

They glanced over at Pathfinder / the current state of PC gaming and said "GET ON THAT poo poo :stare:"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I'm putting together PBP

Grand Cruiser Galactica and we're still looking for a couple of players.

To a more on topic post, the random kit thing sounds like a fantastic idea. I can imagine people getting all sorts of random stuff when all they wanted as a new pair of socks.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What do regiments do? Modify your starting gear, talents and give a new trait?

Also, are Elysians in? I want to play a game of "gently caress Chimeras, we have a Valkyrie for every squad"

Edit: yep, definitely Elysians

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 23, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Asehujiko posted:

What do regiments do? Modify your starting gear, talents and give a new trait?

Basically, yes.

Asehujiko posted:

Also, are Elysians in? I want to play a game of "gently caress Chimeras, we have a Valkyrie for every squad."

drat right there are! There also don't seem to be rules that prevent Ogryn or Ratlings from being in regiments, so if you've got a Commissar ordering the Ogryn around, you can have an Elysian Ogryn or a Krieger Ratling if you want.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

Ok, this is cool and I take back what I said earlier.

I was irritated to see FFG get on that boat. I'm glad that's not the case.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

moths posted:

Ok, this is cool and I take back what I said earlier.

I was irritated to see FFG get on that boat. I'm glad that's not the case.

Yeah, the way it is now, you get a beta with the usual FFG typos and such, and if that's good enough for you (it certainly is for me, typos ain't poo poo), you've just paid half price for what you really want. The next $20 for the full book is if you want the fluff and such, as well as the campaign setting- and who really needs that?

Also, would it be :filez: if I post the Random issue Gear table? It's hilarious and I want to share.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Where are people getting the beta pdf? Am I stupid and not understanding this?

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008
It's available for download from drivethru RPG http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3370

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh man, this idea (shamelessly stolen from 4chan):

First off, you need to be familiar with these pieces of fanfiction (just bear with me here):
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Love_and_Krieg
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Love_and_Krieg_Spinoffs

Then:

quote:

Say your Krieger dies, yeah? Player burns a Fate Point- but has the option of not returning to the battle immediately with 1d5 Wounds and all that. Instead, when the Squad is reinforced, or they go back to the supply depot, they find a dude exactly like the guy they lost, even with the same memories. Or maybe they're trekking through the forest, and come across that same Krieger, who salutes and falls in immediately.

If SA ever runs an Only War PbP, THIS is how I'd play a Krieger.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
How complete is the Beta? Just the actual game rules with all the art/fluff left out or practically complete?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Asehujiko posted:

How complete is the Beta? Just the actual game rules with all the art/fluff left out or practically complete?

Practically complete, just lacking fluff and a lot of art (also typos; I've seen a few 'see page @@' here and there). if you want to run a game of Only War, then fork out $20 and go for it!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is the core system of Only War any different (mechanically) from than the latest iteration of 40kRPG rules in Black Crusade? Aside from guard-specific rules, I mean.

And I don't really care for that take on Krieg. Their shtick is an aggressively nonchalant acceptance of death. Taking that away just makes them more like Paranoia troubleshooters than anything else.

There's a scene in one story where a Leman Russ tank commander rams a Bloodthirster and calmly fires his pistol into his munitions stowage. :black101:
(Although in retrospect, that may have been a Mordian.)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

moths posted:

Is the core system of Only War any different (mechanically) from than the latest iteration of 40kRPG rules in Black Crusade? Aside from guard-specific rules, I mean.

Not very different, insofar as I could see; however, instead of being Aligned to a Chaos God, you get Aptitudes, which line up to Skills and talents. Have one Aptitude for them, you pay Undivided prices. Have two Aptitudes, you pay Aligned prices. No Aptitudes, Opposed prices.

moths posted:

And I don't really care for that take on Krieg. Their shtick is an aggressively nonchalant acceptance of death. Taking that away just makes them more like Paranoia troubleshooters than anything else.

I dunno; I like the whole alternative 'militant Buddhist' take on them (you did read the links I posted, right?).

moths posted:

There's a scene in one story where a Leman Russ tank commander rams a Bloodthirster and calmly fires his pistol into his munitions stowage. :black101:

Those were Kriegers, yes.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 23, 2012

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Also, would it be :filez: if I post the Random issue Gear table? It's hilarious and I want to share.

People post half the book in the RPGs review thread so I think you are fine posting one table. Also I really want to see it. :)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SlothBear posted:

People post half the book in the RPGs review thread so I think you are fine posting one table. Also I really want to see it. :)

Okay then, here you go!

EDIT: Basically, before every mission you get a set of mission equipment (which can vary depending on said mission), and you can make a Logistics (OW version of profit factor, Influence, Infamy etc.) roll at +10 for more stuff. Fail/succeed really well, and you roll on this table once or twice, with a modifier ranging from -20 to +20 depending on how well you rolled Logistics. Not sure how you get the 121+ results though- looks like you helped me find the first beta mistake!

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 23, 2012

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

CommissarMega posted:

Not very different, insofar as I could see; however, instead of being Aligned to a Chaos God, you get Aptitudes, which line up to Skills and talents. Have one Aptitude for them, you pay Undivided prices. Have two Aptitudes, you pay Aligned prices. No Aptitudes, Opposed prices.
That's a really good system, a nice halfway house to class-based systems. I'd thought they might do something like that, but hadn't considered putting multiple Aptitudes on each skill/talent.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Does OW use a numerical currency like DH or Acquisitions Rolls like RT and up?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Asehujiko posted:

Does OW use a numerical currency like DH or Acquisitions Rolls like RT and up?

RT/Asc/BC system; no money here- a trait called Logistics.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I am so loving psyched that there are rules for playing this guy

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Commissars can heal PCs by executing their followers. I'm sold.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Gon' play the poo poo out of a Elysian Ogryn with no gravchute who survives his drops by landing on the biggest gribblies in the area to break his fall.

:gonk:: "Holy poo poo, Carnifex! Call for reinforcements!"
:downs:: "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
*SPLUTCH*

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Mikael Kreoss posted:

I am so loving psyched that there are rules for playing this guy

Who the hell is that? Tineye says he's from a DH adventure.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

moths posted:

Because I am a huge krieg fanboy.

quote:

The Death Korps of Krieg Kick rear end

The air was far worse than humid, and tiny droplets of viscous liquid hung suspended in the tepid atmosphere like static rain. Three weeks had passed since the rift had opened upon the agri-world of Hubris IV, and Chaos ran rife through what was once a sane and productive planet. Now the landscape itself actually breathed like some monstrous beast, the black column of Death Korps marching across acres of puckered skin and through forests of thick, slime-covered hair.

Veteran Sergeant Mahler knew full well why his superiors had requested to be transferred here. The missions of Chaos epitomized weakness, especially those that revered this particular god, and must be eradicated. No matter that they had lost most of their company to starvation and disease. They would bring the Emperor’s grace back to this world.

At a curt command from the front of the column, the Death Korps fanned out into a battle line as doctrine dictated. The armoured support, a resplendent symbol of the Emperor’s might, took up its positions. Imperial pennants and skull-emblazoned banners fluttered in the breeze above rank upon rank of black greatcoats. For a second, all was still.

Without warning, there was a deafening scream, and all hell broke loose.

Countless fleshy mouths were peeling open in the ground ahead. Clambering out of the foul orifices were all manner of monstrosities, a catalogue of perversion and insanity. The lasguns of the Death Korps opened fire, searing into daemon flesh in as perfect a firing drill as displayed on the subterranean rifle ranges of their home planet. Coalescing in the air mere feet ahead, a horned, dripping head leered out from the ether, straining forward to catch the trooper next to Mahler in its distended jaws. Mahler and his squad took out the thing’s eyes, firing pointblank as it came for him, the ghastly apparition dissipating at the last second as his bayonet punctured its bulging forehead.

The tide of atrocity spilling across the ground was closing fast, a gestalt entity of lascivious flesh and gibbering faces. To the right, a troupe of clawed daemon-hags danced and slithered forward, their sensuous bodies writhing obscenely. One of them headed toward Mahler, its grinning features twisting into a foul parody of a woman from his past. Its aura of evil beauty was overpowering. Claws raised, it reared back to strike. Mahler shot it in the mouth.

Shouting praise to the Emperor, the Death Korps blew apart daemon upon daemon, their grotesque forms liquefying and running like quicksilver across the dermal landscape. Many-limbed flesh-scorpions clambered across the bodies of the fallen, their barbed tails stabbing spasmodically into anything that still drew breath. Battle tanks thundered shells into the gaping maw-portals that had vomited forth the Chaos filth, the landscape shuddering in pain with each titanic detonation. Lasguns sliced through unprotected flesh time and time again, the air sizzling with the stench of battle. And yet not one of the Death Korps hesitated in his duty. Mahler expected nothing less.
On the left flank, a flock of daemons wheeled towards them, their long-limbed bipedal steeds carrying screeching riders at shocking speed toward a weakened spot in the Death Korps’ line. Just as Mahler feared they would hit home, the Krieg Death Riders swept over a fleshy ridge, sonorous voices rising above the deafening howling of the daemons in a battlecry of devotion and rage. Hunting lances burst through the flanks of the daemonic cavalry, massive discharges of energy tearing apart the lithe creatures and bowling their riders to the ground. The daemons had the advantage of numbers, and reacted quickly. Contemptuously, one Daemonette pivoted gracefully and snipped off the head of a Krieg steed with a vicious claw, another smashing a Death-Rider from his saddle before sinking its teeth into the face of his mount. But the Death-Riders had earnt their formidable reputation for a reason, their wounded steeds regaining their feet, sparks flying from the damaged machinery implanted in the resilient beasts. The Death Riders plunged back into the melee, fighting with renewed ferocity.

The orgy of carnage seemed only to encourage the remaining daemons. Mahler was shocked to see a gigantic, many armed nightmare burst from the ground in a spray of light and blood, its elongated face bellowing a deafening battlecry. The cry was answered by mass lasfire, a hundred guns spitting defiance at the beast. It strode toward their lines, paying as much heed to the Guardsmen as a grox would to a lashfly. Firing on full auto now, Mahler caught a glimpse of a Leman Russ with a damaged turret speeding forward toward the Greater Daemon on what was obviously a collision course, well away from the battleline. The daemon was inhumanly fast, and smashed one of its claws down into the turret, peeling it open as if it were paper. Its other claw neatly snipped the barrels from the tank’s guns. The thing was on the hull in the blink of an eye, its lithe limbs working fast as it peeled back the armour, intent on feasting on the souls of the guardsmen inside. It pushed its head into the hole torn in the hull, its gurgling laugh running through the psyche of every one of the Death Korps in a contusion of psychic pain. For a moment, time seemed to halt.

With perfect clarity, Mahler saw one of the tank crew turn calmly and discharge his laspistol into the stacked battle cannon shells by the loading breach.

The resultant explosion was cataclysmic, a vast mushroom of noise, light, and dust. It annihilated not only the tank and the Greater Daemon, but slaughtered hundreds of its nearby minions. The remainder were in disarray, howling as the ground buckled and split, lesions appearing in a thousand places.

As one, the Death Korps of Krieg charged.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's the story! I think it originated in the old Inferno! magazine, I remember reading it on a bus from the comics store.

CommissarMega posted:

I dunno; I like the whole alternative 'militant Buddhist' take on them (you did read the links I posted, right?).

I tried! I got as far as the loli-Krieg trooper illustration and "My Krieger Girlfriend" and sort-of skimmed the rest unsuccessfully for high-value content. :(

It's going to be interesting to see how the different homeworld cultures come through in the mechanics. I think they did something like that in Deathwatch, but I never picked it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Asehujiko posted:

Who the hell is that? Tineye says he's from a DH adventure.

Maccabian Janissary from the Shrine World Maccabius Quintus. They're apparently hardcore motherfuckers. That mask is an effigy of Saint Drusus too, if I recall.

FFG posted:

These regiments are raised from the arid planet of Maccabeus Quintus, a place of fierce and stoic people and iron-strong puritan faith in the Imperial Creed. The Conclave Calixis has oath bonds with the fifth Maccabian regiment and has called on the honour debts owed to them to procure the services of ten of the most resolute and effective soldiers in the sector, lead by two experienced NCOs. The Janissaries are tough and battle-hardened men and women who are bound by oaths made in seven shrines on Maccabeus Quintus. They see serving the Emperor’s will as a sacred duty and have a grim attitude; they are not given to frivolity or humour. They spend much of their time preparing for their mission, either performing combat drills or weapons maintenance, in prayer or studying information on the environment and situation of the station on Mara.”

From the teaser for the DH adventure they first appeared in.