Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the name for the pickled vegetables commonly found at Mexican foods stands, and is there a good recipe for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's the name for the pickled vegetables commonly found at Mexican foods stands, and is there a good recipe for it?

Zanahorias en escabeche. Basically vinegar, salt, hot peppers, onion, Mexican oregano, and bay leaf

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
I have a buttload of green jalapenos, what do I do internet??

Is there a stuffed/preserved jalapeno recipe that will take the edge off?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Cowcatcher posted:

I suggest jalapeno jelly, as an unususal use. I haven't made it myself though, so I don't have a recipe. I do know I've enjoyed it on crackers and chips with a bit of cream cheese.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Anyone know what to do with Purslane? I have a royal shitton growing as weeds in my yard underneath all my cucumbers and strawberries and squash and everything. I know it's edible, I've seen it for sale at the farmer's market and at mexican grocers. I picked a few leaves and tried some. Seemed kinda boring, texturewise was a bit unappetizing. Anyone have any experience with the stuff? I really do have a poo poo ton and I feel weird just tossing them in the compost bin knowing they're being sold places nearby.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Comic posted:

I suggest jalapeno jelly, as an unususal use. I haven't made it myself though, so I don't have a recipe. I do know I've enjoyed it on crackers and chips with a bit of cream cheese.

Steve Dowdney (author of "Putting Up") has a good basic recipe and an interesting balsamic pepper jelly recipe that I haven't tried yet.

I tried to make the basic recipe with a higher amount of peppers and powdered instead of liquid pectin (I read up on substitution, to no avail) and ended up with basically a sweet syrupy pepper relish. But last year I made the basic recipe to the letter and got awesome thick jelly.

I like to spread it on a wheel of brie and pop it in a very hot oven for a bit :)

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
First a bit of a rambling explanation with the actual question in italics at the end.

I've got a beef brisket for some guests coming tomorrow and they've requested Mediterranean style. "Like those doner kebabs/gyros/shawarma you made that time." Problem is it's a big chunk of meat, not minced and I don't have any lamb to mix with it this time. Also no time to slice several kilos by hand then smash with the side of a knife.

My first thought is to go more middle eastern than Mediterranean, cut the brisket into chunks and leave overnight in a marinade of yoghurt, onions, garlic, herbs, lemon juice, paprika and a little honey. Then in the afternoon thread the meat onto skewers and cook in the regular gas oven because this is June in England and it's going to piss down rain all weekend.

For refference, sides will be a choice of griddled peppers, onions, mushrooms and artichokes. Beets and carrot salad/slaw, regular store bought coleslaw, home made tzatziki and some mixed leaves with fresh herbs, jalapeño slices and tomatoes.

I am a little concerned about the meat drying out because I don't know what timing/temperature to use and the chunks would be too small to use a meat thermometer. My best guess is 25-35 mins at 350°F, 176°C, Gas Mark 4 then a browning stage at 450°F, 232°C, Gas Mark 8 to char the edges a bit. It doesn't feel right to cook brisket that fast though so I'm posting here hoping for any advice?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I think you're going to have to buy another cut of meat. Brisket really isn't suited to kebabs. It's not necessarily about dryness, the meat will just be incredibly tough.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
That's what I'm afraid of. unfortunately I'm stuck with what I have.

Option two is trim the brisket and rub with cinnamon, cumin, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, dried garlic, onion and paprika, slow cook in stock with a little bourbon. Then serve with a sauce made from mushrooms, onions, peppers, yoghurt and some of the beef stock.

Probably closer to a stroganoff in flavour and a lot "heavier" but I can't see another way to do it with the requested ingredients.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
I'd really like to make some BBQ sauce chicken this summer, but I don't have access to a BBQ. Is it possible to low and slow a whole bird in the oven, periodically taking it out to glaze with sauce like oven-baked ribs? Time/temperature recommendations if it is? I usually use ~3lb bird from whole foods.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Verizian posted:

That's what I'm afraid of. unfortunately I'm stuck with what I have.

Option two is trim the brisket and rub with cinnamon, cumin, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, dried garlic, onion and paprika, slow cook in stock with a little bourbon. Then serve with a sauce made from mushrooms, onions, peppers, yoghurt and some of the beef stock.

Probably closer to a stroganoff in flavour and a lot "heavier" but I can't see another way to do it with the requested ingredients.

Red wine vinegar
Lemon juice
Rosemary
Garlic
Oregano
Red pepper flakes.

Let marinade at least 24 hours if you don't want to be eating a shoe. I would pre cube it to maximize surface area for the acid to do its tenderizing magic.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Dirt Worshipper posted:

I'd really like to make some BBQ sauce chicken this summer, but I don't have access to a BBQ. Is it possible to low and slow a whole bird in the oven, periodically taking it out to glaze with sauce like oven-baked ribs? Time/temperature recommendations if it is? I usually use ~3lb bird from whole foods.
I always pre cook my BBQ chicken in the oven, than finish on the grill. I would do that than finish in a cast iron? No such thing as low and slow BBQ chicken and never the whole bird unless you have a smoker.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Turkeybone posted:

Dino. -- do you have a go-to cilantro chutney recipe?

Sorry, didn't see this till now. XD The vegan thread is often quieter, and I'll generally see it quicker.

Anycow. I have a Kashmiri friend who does a version that's different from how my mum did it, so I tend to do a hybrid of both of theirs.

1 large bunch cilantro, washed extremely well
2 limes, zested and juiced
1 small onion (white) chopped
5 - 8 green thai chiles (I remove the stems, but my mum keeps them on, because they're going in the blender anyway)
5 mint leaves (OPTIONAL)
1 stalk of curry leaves (OPTIONAL, if you can get them)
3 cm piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
1 TB oil
1/4 tsp cumin seed
1/4 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
Water, in reserve, as necessary

In a small pot, heat the oil. Add the cumin and coriander seeds, and allow them to pop. As soon as they pop, dump them into the jar of your blender. Immediately top with the lemon juice and lemon zest. Add the onion, thai chiles, ginger, mint, and curry leaves. Pulse a few times until you get a paste.

Add the cilantro (stalks and all), a bit at a time, and grind. Don't add more cilantro until the previous batch is ground. The reason being that you don't want to add excess water if you can help it, and grinding in batches helps avoid that. If the blender sticks, add a bit of water, about a tablespoon at a time to loosen up the mixture.

Some people like to add a few pinches of salt, but I tend to avoid it, because the food will be salted already. Some people leave out the curry leaves, but bump up the mint leaves. Some people like to add garlic, but I don't care for it with the subtle taste of the herbs. Some people leave out the onion, and substitute hing, but I prefer the freshness of the onion. If you want a creamier chutney, add a tablespoon of daliya (roasted channa daal), and it'll give a fantastic flavour and texture. Just add the daliya early on, so it grinds down completely. If you can't find lime juice, you can use lemon juice. If you want the most authentic taste, you'll track down Key Limes, which taste much more similar to the Indian limes than the typical green ones. To combat the slight bitterness found in American limes (and because that's what those people like to do), Gujarati recipes will frequently call for a bit of sugar. I hate sugar in my hari chutney. :mad:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

ColHannibal posted:

Let marinade at least 24 hours if you don't want to be eating a shoe.

The marinading isn't what makes it soft, it's the slow cooking.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

dino. posted:

chutney

Thanks dino. We're making asstons of nimbu pani, so there's plenty of fresh lime juice to be had. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

Zanahorias en escabeche. Basically vinegar, salt, hot peppers, onion, Mexican oregano, and bay leaf

Technically it's just escabeche, zanahorias is just carrots :eng101: :ese:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Turkeybone posted:

Thanks dino. We're making asstons of nimbu pani, so there's plenty of fresh lime juice to be had. I'll let you know how it turns out!
Happy to help. Mind you, I and my family like ours to be nuclear level hot, so you may want to try with just one or two thai peppers to begin with, and then ratchet it up as your taste dictates. :3

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Turkeybone posted:

Technically it's just escabeche, zanahorias is just carrots :eng101: :ese:

No, technically it is "zanahorias en escabeche," escabeche is a style of preparation the is not limited to carrots and is in pretty much every single cuisine that the Spanish have fathered (which is many). The carrot version at taquerias are quite possibly the least renowned in the world.

Calling them just "escabeche" is like calling pho just "noodles".

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Scientastic posted:

Using salt in the marinade will affect the tenderness of the final product, won't it? I believe salt partially dissolves some of the fiber bundles.

wasey
Apr 6, 2009
I'm feeling like having some shrimp jambalaya tonight but don't have a good recipe, can anyone point me towards a favorite? Crock pot is preferred but not required since I will be out of the house quite a bit today. Thanks!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Is there a way to tell of you're getting a 'hot' jalapeno? We just moved to Texas and I bought a jalapeno for some burgers, and it was too loving hot. Conversely, when we bought them in north Carolina and Massachusetts, they never seem as hot. I don't know if it's just a matter of sourcing, but I thought the scoville unit should be the same, regardless.

nwin fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 23, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

nwin posted:

Is there a way to tell of you're getting a 'hot' jalapeño? We just moved to Texas and I bought a jalapeño for some burgers, and it was too loving hot. Conversely, when we bought them in north Carolina and Massachusetts, they never seem as hot. I don't know if it's just a matter of sourcing, but I thought the scoville unit should be the same, regardless.

There is a mild jalapeno thanks to Texas A&M called the TAM mild jalapeno. You can seek those out if you want. Personally, I think it's awful that they're trying to milden down the jalap. There are plenty of milder peppers than a jalapeno, and you can always just remove the ribs and seeds if you want it milder.

Also, spiciness is dependent on how stressed the plant was when growing. It is possible that those peppers you're buying were grown in a dryer climate which will make themhotter.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Cook the chicken hot and fast as ColHannibal suggests. I'd suggest cutting the chicken into pieces - Drumstick, thighs, wings, breasts - and cover with dry rub, and bake on a grate so it doesn't get soggy. Get the oven to about 350F. Sauce the chicken once or twice in the latter half of the cook, because if you put it in at the start, the higher temps may make the sugary sauce burn. This may take about 35-45 minutes total in the oven.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

Anyone know what to do with Purslane? I have a royal shitton growing as weeds in my yard underneath all my cucumbers and strawberries and squash and everything. I know it's edible, I've seen it for sale at the farmer's market and at mexican grocers. I picked a few leaves and tried some. Seemed kinda boring, texturewise was a bit unappetizing. Anyone have any experience with the stuff? I really do have a poo poo ton and I feel weird just tossing them in the compost bin knowing they're being sold places nearby.

Did you try some from the afternoon/evening? If so, it'll be fairly bland and mildly sweet. Apparently purslane produces malic acid overnight, which it then uses throughout the day. The tangy, sour-bitter, peppery flavor is desirable, especially because it helps distract you from the glue-i-ness purslane sometimes has.

I like it best either stir-fried/sauteed fast and with either middle eastern or south east asian flavors. It also goes well as a filling in some pasta-type dishes (think purslane and ricotta in ravioli, or replacing spinach in a lasagne variation), and in Indian style dishes where it is allowed to stew for a long time.

MailboxFullOfBombs
Nov 1, 2010
I took a college trip to Ireland about 5 years ago and one thing I've been wondering about since was the bread our hotel served. Every dinner they would have a basket of really great bread laid out with butter as a snack before they took our orders and served the food. It had the consistency of a nice moist cake. Really filling, too. It was a really good change from the light, sugary bread here in America. I know this isn't much of a description to go on, but does anybody know what kind of bread I'm thinking of?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Scientastic posted:

The acids in the marinade.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

MailboxFullOfBombs posted:

I took a college trip to Ireland about 5 years ago and one thing I've been wondering about since was the bread our hotel served. Every dinner they would have a basket of really great bread laid out with butter as a snack before they took our orders and served the food. It had the consistency of a nice moist cake. Really filling, too. It was a really good change from the light, sugary bread here in America. I know this isn't much of a description to go on, but does anybody know what kind of bread I'm thinking of?

When I hear "Ireland" and "bread" in the same sentence I think of soda bread. Maybe look into that?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

ColHannibal posted:

do almost nothing to the meat beyond the exterior

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

That's not a thing.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Cowcatcher posted:

Is there a stuffed/preserved jalapeno recipe that will take the edge off?

Cook them with a shitload of garlic and onion, puree and push through a chinoise for a jalapeno-garlic sauce.

Verizian posted:

I am a little concerned about the meat drying out because I don't know what timing/temperature to use and the chunks would be too small to use a meat thermometer. My best guess is 25-35 mins at 350°F, 176°C, Gas Mark 4 then a browning stage at 450°F, 232°C, Gas Mark 8 to char the edges a bit. It doesn't feel right to cook brisket that fast though so I'm posting here hoping for any advice?

Braise the whole brisket tonight, chill it, cut it into cubes, skewer it and then reheat it in a sauce is probably your best bet. Brisket is absolutely the wrong cut to use for this but this will work.

dad.
Apr 25, 2010

Phummus posted:

So I decided to make my own almond flour because that stuff is expensive. I got some almonds at the bulk food section of the store.

I put them in a bowl, covered them with boiling water for 1 minute, and then drained and rinsed under cold water. From everything I've read, the skins should've slipped off like a freshman girl's dress at her first frat party.

Unfortunately, this endeavor also ended up like my clumsy attempts to woo girls in college. Me in the kitchen with a tear in my eye and my target half undressed and mocking me.

Did I miss some crucial step in blanching the almonds? Is it possible the almonds were just puritanical and didn't want to give it up to me?

As with lentils, bases soften the skins on nuts immediately. I've had luck with almonds, hazelnuts, and pistachios using a baking soda solutions. I recommend using lye if you have some sitting around (pretzel baking) and exercising proper precautions. I used 1 teaspoon of lye per quart of water to just do a cold soak. The skins turn the solution purple because of anthocyanins and whatnot . Let it sit for a minute and do a few repeated washes to make sure most of the lye has been rinsed off. Keep the nuts submerged in water because the altered skin will become cement on the nut once it dries. Using a wet cloth (preferably felt, but a handkerchief will do), get to work on rubbing the skins off. Once everything is clear, lay them out flat to dry for at least a day. I haven't had much luck using an oven to dry nuts so I just let them air dry. I use this method on high quality pistachios to stunning effect. Skinless pistachio paste is virtually turquoise. This is also a great way to make perfect praline pastes and giandujas.

Other tips: Toast after grinding. The heating process is pretty traumatic on the nut's structure and will want any reason to dump it's oil while grinding, particularly almonds and hazelnuts. Unless you have a burr type mill, your only option is probably a processor which is also pretty traumatic on fats. The combination is heartbreaking if you're making flours or marzipan. Work in small batches and make sure there is no excessive moisture.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Miso cod recipes are always nice.

Thanks for the idea, I finally got around to it today. It was good! Upon consuming it, I now know that hake is a hell of a lot like cod for sure, just a firm flaky white fish. Therefore I have decided that my next hake adventure will involve breading and tartar sauce.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

ColHannibal posted:

I always pre cook my BBQ chicken in the oven, than finish on the grill. I would do that than finish in a cast iron? No such thing as low and slow BBQ chicken and never the whole bird unless you have a smoker.
If you're grilling the chicken to pick up smoke, you're better off starting over coals and finishing in the oven or under a broiler or whatever (assuming you want to switch at all); the chemical processes involved in smoke ring formation only happen at comparatively low temperatures (under about 140 F), so once the surface of the meat gets past that it won't matter what your heat source is. I guess you'll pick up some condensed smoke on the skin, but that's generally not the kind of flavour you want anyway.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone ever made a good oxtail red beans and rice? I made one 4 or 5 years ago that was awesome but I don't have the recipe anymore(lost in a move). I kinda want one that is as close to the flavor of real New Orleans style red beans and rice as I can get.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

No, technically it is "zanahorias en escabeche," escabeche is a style of preparation the is not limited to carrots and is in pretty much every single cuisine that the Spanish have fathered (which is many). The carrot version at taquerias are quite possibly the least renowned in the world.

Calling them just "escabeche" is like calling pho just "noodles".

Just went shopping and ran into something. Oh hey what's this?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Yes, it looks like a can of pickled carrots. Good work.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Man you can just buy them in cans? I've been trying to make them and thy never come out right.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
the point was the dude just asked about pickles, not pickled carrots, and you told him that the name of mexican pickles was pickled carrots. there are in fact mexican pickled carrots called zanahorias en escabeche. the usual mix for escabeche is cauliflower, carrots jalapenos and onions, not just carrots.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

pile of brown posted:

the point was the dude just asked about pickles, not pickled carrots, and you told him that the name of mexican pickles was pickled carrots. there are in fact mexican pickled carrots called zanahorias en escabeche. the usual mix for escabeche is cauliflower, carrots jalapenos and onions, not just carrots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escabeche

no, no veg centric thing in a typical escabeche. It is therefore necessary to differentiate what you're talking about with a noun like zanahorias, or jalapenos, or cebollas, or verduras.

Edit: unless of course you go up to a chinese restaurant and tell them "yeah I'll have the noodles with an order of dumplings" in which case...yeah.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
How do I make my tuna pate more pate-y? It doesn't come out smooth like the one I get from the Italian store, no matter how much I blend it.