Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Gah, going back to GTA4 (as I did tonight) after playing games like Saint's Row 3 and Just Cause 2 (hell, even things like The Saboteur) is a horrible experience, because the controls and camera now seem absolutely godawful in comparison. Hopefully Rockstar are willing to learn from what works for others rather than going "Nope, our spring-loaded camera with a mind of its own and rubbery legs can't be improved upon!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Payndz posted:

Gah, going back to GTA4 (as I did tonight) after playing games like Saint's Row 3 and Just Cause 2 (hell, even things like The Saboteur) is a horrible experience, because the controls and camera now seem absolutely godawful in comparison. Hopefully Rockstar are willing to learn from what works for others rather than going "Nope, our spring-loaded camera with a mind of its own and rubbery legs can't be improved upon!"

Have you played Red Dead? It's a much better implementation of the 3rd person controls + Euphoria engine than GTA4 was.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Keep in mind that aside from that table tennis game, GTAIV was the first real use of that engine. Since then they've had the two episodes, RDR, RDR: Undead Nightmare and Max Payne 3. Not to mention that GTAIV is four years old now. GTAV is going to be better.

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice
I have no idea what the poster above is talking about when they're saying that GTA4 is not as great as Saints Row or Just Cause. The camera is fine but you just need to remember that you can control it with the right thumb stick. I think GTA4 is still great even by today's standards. The physics engine is still light years ahead of what most blockbuster games feature. GTA4 is the one game that I don't think I can ever lend to a friend because at any given time I might just want to pop it in and experience it again. Please don't ever compare Saints Row to GTA, they might be both sandbox games but one just seems like a silly dumbed down version with worse graphics, physics and stupid zany gameplay.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

LA attack posted:

one just seems like a silly dumbed down version with worse graphics, physics and stupid zany gameplay.

And the ability to walk through a door without spending fifteen seconds trying to stop crashing into the side of it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LA attack posted:

Please don't ever compare Saints Row to GTA, they might be both sandbox games but one just seems like a silly dumbed down version with worse graphics, physics and stupid zany gameplay.

Maybe you should, you know...play SR3? Before writing it off as this thing which it is not? "Please don't compare Mario and Mega Man, they might be both side scrolling games, but one just seems like a hard, masochistic version with worse graphics, physics, and stupid zany robots."

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

And the ability to walk through a door without spending fifteen seconds trying to stop crashing into the side of it.
No, that's Red Dead Redemption.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Zedicus Mann posted:

No, that's Red Dead Redemption.

They did manage to tweak it down to 6.2 seconds.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Ram face into door, do two 360 degree turns with your gimp arm sticking straight out while failing to push the door open.

Euphoria is pretty loving hilarious though for just bumping into random people and watching them go all rubbery-legged and trip over themselves while flailing around. You could literally knock people unconscious in GTA IV just by brushing against them enough.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I have literally spent collective hours pushing pedestrians down stairs. The staircase leading up to the train by your second apartment makes them clip into the railing and hilariously glitch out. Combine normal ragdoll spazzing with Euphoria for a good time. It's just far too fun to push people down stairs.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'll be so disappointed if GTAV doesn't have glitching swingsets. Those combined with Euphoria were the best thing. Time it just right, and have an angry pedestrian open your car door just as the swings catapulted you to the stratosphere and it's a thing of beauty.

The Welper
Nov 27, 2007
Don't... Touch... The Case.
If they can take the refined euphoria effects from Max Payne 3 into an open world(Bullet time drive-by?) this game will be spectacular. GTAIV was good, Red Dead was great, the effects in Max Payne 3 were stellar.

Crossing my fingers.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'd reccomend playing SR3 for any GTA fans. It's basically now a game within the prototype/crackdown niche that skews closer to GTA than the others. If they could get their core mechanics more up to snuff in the next game and Rockstar flubs the whole "things to do other than main missions" thing again they could be a contender.

If they bring over all the lessons they learned on RDR and advance from there at all though, there's no chance.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
So I've been playing San Andreas again. I just purchased the airfield, and was about to do some missions for Woozie. However, I accidentally chose delete save instead of load save, and didn't realize what I was doing until I was staring at an empty save screen. I tried to restore the save with Recuva, but SA just says the save file is corrupt. Is there any way to salvage my save? I doubt there's a save online for that point either.

Edit: I actually did have an old save but when I try to load it, it also says Load failed. :sigh:

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 24, 2012

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

The Welper posted:

If they can take the refined euphoria effects from Max Payne 3 into an open world(Bullet time drive-by?) this game will be spectacular. GTAIV was good, Red Dead was great, the effects in Max Payne 3 were stellar.

Crossing my fingers.

This is what i'm praying for as well. Slow mo and dives and akimbo pistols again (why'd they get rid of them anyway?) in a GTA game, with multiplayer it'd be the ultimate game for me.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

JAssassin posted:

So I've been playing San Andreas again. I just purchased the airfield, and was about to do some missions for Woozie. However, I accidentally chose delete save instead of load save, and didn't realize what I was doing until I was staring at an empty save screen. I tried to restore the save with Recuva, but SA just says the save file is corrupt. Is there any way to salvage my save? I doubt there's a save online for that point either.

Edit: I actually did have an old save but when I try to load it, it also says Load failed. :sigh:

Old JRPG's taught me to have 3 independent save files for EVERYTHING.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
In the 3-era games I used up every single save slot. I did the same thing in 4 until the episodes came out and for those I used three each.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

GTA4 seems pretty divisive here, I'm considering getting it on PC and I wondered if anyone could recommend any particular mods to improve the playing experience.

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick
Every time I see that this thread has more posts I get excited that maybe there's some news about GTAV...and I apologize to the person that sees this thread has another post hoping there's some new information.

Anyway I've been slowly going through IV again and I'm honestly liking it a lot more than I did the first time when it came out. Anybody else like the game more the times you play it?

e: wording

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Davoren posted:

GTA4 seems pretty divisive here, I'm considering getting it on PC and I wondered if anyone could recommend any particular mods to improve the playing experience.

The vanilla story experience is fine, and won't be significantly altered by whatever modding you do. For sandbox play, grab Simple Trainer, which opens up an enormous amount of options for both small tweaks and huge changes, like spawning the Statue of Happiness in Star Junction or flying cars.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Gta4 wasnt my favorite one of the city mainly because it was,again, liberty city and I am burned out of that city for the next ten years. They also cut a lot of features like garages and modding car. But they had an improve engine, car handle differently, the shooting mechanics doeant sucks anymore and it's one of the most detailed sandbox game so far. For me it was 2 step forward but one backward.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Davoren posted:

Dazzle and frustrate yourself by playing the game in first person perspective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Hm4K5_Pr0

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!

Bleusilences posted:

For me it was 2 step forward but one backward.

You sure it wasn't one step forward and two steps back, and that nobody gets too far like that, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaZz8dTJ1vg ???

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I just started playing EFLC, but I'm quite bothered with the camera when using mouse+keyboard. If I look somewhere with the mouse, it will "snap" back a bit to the viewpoint of my character/vehicle, which is slightly nauseating to me. Is there a way to make the viewpoint stick so where I look with my mouse is stable?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
If you turn on toggle aiming and right click your crosshair will show up and the camera won't snap back. This really only works for driving though.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

GTAForums posted:

Isn't pressing CAPS LOCK supposed to reset the camera? I almost never remember to use that key myself.
Just found that. About to test it.

Edit: Nah, that's just the reset/cinematic camera button.

Zedicus Mann fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 26, 2012

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Pressing caps lock for me just turns the camera into cinematic mode.

edit: Looked back 4 pages and cant see what youre talking about so it might not be GTA4. Oops.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

So I've decided to play through GTA4 for the first time since I bought it at release but I want to do so with a trainer and a few other mods (first person, timesync). I found XLiveless and installed that and it seems to be working (GWL is disabled) but the built-in ASI loader doesn't seem to be. Is there anything else I need to get it to work? I'm using the Steam version of the game with patch 1.0.0.7.

EDIT: I'm dumb. Turns out the .asi script I was using to check whether or not the loader was working didn't work itself.

Anybody got a link to a first person view mod that works with 1.0.0.7?

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 4, 2012

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

Bleusilences posted:

Gta4 wasnt my favorite one of the city mainly because it was,again, liberty city and I am burned out of that city for the next ten years. They also cut a lot of features like garages and modding car. But they had an improve engine, car handle differently, the shooting mechanics doeant sucks anymore and it's one of the most detailed sandbox game so far. For me it was 2 step forward but one backward.

Yeah, that's one way of saying it. They made driving and motorcycles totally unfun (super fragile motorcycle rider that drat near dies everytime he attempts to do anything cool) and made it so successful stunts happen rarely. But they sure as hell made the enviroment (all the interiors and little details) and people in it more realistic and the way they changed how police work was awesome in that you could feasibly run from police on foot without knowing about any star powerups. The cover system was a huge improvement for gunplay for sure, but the lack of akimbo pistols was a step back and less weapon variety was also a step back. Euphoria was a double edged sword in that it made hitting people with your car a lot more realistic looking and satisfying but also made every fall off a bike a tiring affair and caused at times pathetic stumbling while playing.

Basically, they took out a lot of the weapon variety (chainsaws anyone?) and awesome stuff but did make a more realistic world for better or worse, (it is far more immersive to run from police that don't know where you are telepathically), they removed a lot of awesome poo poo and not just wacky poo poo, I miss car modding, I miss launching off of the plentiful ramp trucks, I miss being so badass with a motorcycle that I could use cars, walls and concrete dividers as ramps. I also thought the gang warfare in san andreas was loving awesome and missed that a lot in GTA 4 as a way of always having an opportunity to have a gunfight against somebody other than the police and innocents.

My hopes for GTA 5 are that they keep the immersive features, take the Max Payne 3 weapon system, but allow you to carry weapons in your trunk, and most of all that that they make driving and motorcycles fun again (they did try to correct this in TLAD). I miss being able to do awesome stunts all the time. I hope that San Andreas is a funner driving enviroment than GTA IV's Liberty City, and if it's anything like the original it should be.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
The driving in GTA4 (including the motorbike riding) loving owned. It actually required a little bit of skill and finesse and when you pull of a sweet maneuver it was really satisfying. I love playing GTA4 a little stoned and just driving around trying to do stunts and stuff. Whenever I play a GTA3-era game I find the driving so loving boring.

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick
I agree, I didn't really find GTA4 driving satisfying until I went back to playing 3-era games and couldn't stand how arcadey (is this a word?) it all felt. I don't know if I'd say the driving in 4 felt "real" but at least it wasn't so ridiculous any more.

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.

fuckpot posted:

The driving in GTA4 (including the motorbike riding) loving owned. It actually required a little bit of skill and finesse and when you pull of a sweet maneuver it was really satisfying. I love playing GTA4 a little stoned and just driving around trying to do stunts and stuff. Whenever I play a GTA3-era game I find the driving so loving boring.

I agree completely. It's not a perfect simulator by any means and that's not what I want from this type of game-- and frankly, I've always loving sucked at the driving in older GTA games but eventually got pretty good at the driving in GTA IV. Nothing beats flooring it down an alley in reverse, wheeling a 180 out the end and fishtailing off and around a corner without losing any momentum.

There's still problems with it, don't get me wrong, but I can't wrap my head around why anyone would want to revive the driving from the older games. It would feel so out of place with all of the other improvements to the series.

Maybe I was just never good enough at driving in the older games to truly appreciate it, and that could be why I feel the way I do. But I always felt the driving in old GTAs was kind of lackluster and it is the number one thing preventing me from getting back into San Andreas every time I throw it in the PS2 for nostalgia's sake. I've been spoiled by the driving in IV and can't go back-- it just feels wrong-- like the cars are all made of tissue paper with bouncy balloon wheels.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
All they have to do is stiffen up the suspensions and the driving would be perfect. Everything is great until you have to take a corner and you're scraping the door handles on the ground.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

GrickleGrass posted:

I agree completely. It's not a perfect simulator by any means and that's not what I want from this type of game-- and frankly, I've always loving sucked at the driving in older GTA games but eventually got pretty good at the driving in GTA IV. Nothing beats flooring it down an alley in reverse, wheeling a 180 out the end and fishtailing off and around a corner without losing any momentum.

There's still problems with it, don't get me wrong, but I can't wrap my head around why anyone would want to revive the driving from the older games. It would feel so out of place with all of the other improvements to the series.

Maybe I was just never good enough at driving in the older games to truly appreciate it, and that could be why I feel the way I do. But I always felt the driving in old GTAs was kind of lackluster and it is the number one thing preventing me from getting back into San Andreas every time I throw it in the PS2 for nostalgia's sake. I've been spoiled by the driving in IV and can't go back-- it just feels wrong-- like the cars are all made of tissue paper with bouncy balloon wheels.

The driving feels better simply because there's more in terms of physics happening with the car. This makes it feel more immersive and that adds a sense of reward, of course, this neglects that a lot of the cars just have loving terrible traction and handling.

I got good at driving GTA 4 too but that doesn't make it 'fun' Rounding corners in muscle cars generally results in sliding across the street painfully and dinging some newspaper stand or hot dog vendor. It feels distinctly uncool and driving requires a tiring amount of caution at times. By that I mean, you have to use handbrake in concert with the real brake even for not fairly slow-moderate speed turns simply to keep from sliding across the road like giant metal hockey puck.

Bikes, well, bikes were lovely in GTA 4 and the way they changed how they handled in TLAD (& TBOGT as well I think) is a testament to that as you'll see in TLAD it's significantly harder to fall off a bike and a lot easier to control them. Default GTA 4 bikes make you fall off all the time, in San Andreas and past games bikes were awesome because you could do freeform stunts using the enviroment all the time.
You see a staircase? Well that staircase is a ramp as far as i'm concerned. A car with a low sloping hood is driving straight at me and i'm on the wrong side of the road moving at a high speed? I just lean back a bit and use the car as a ramp and blast off. Hell if you knew how to ride a bike and use the lean back and forward properly you could drive straight into a wall, pull up into a wheelie at the last moment and ride up the wall and bounce off of it and keep going on your merry way. Now THAT was loving fun. Those were fun times, the whole city was a playground for me to set up awesome stunts and dodge the popo in style.

GTA 4? Try to launch off those stairs, end up with 3/4 of your health gone and have to walk to a hotdog stand just so you can attempt a mundane stunt like that again, if you're not just straight up dead.

Don't get me wrong, GTA 4 driving, much like Euphoria, is something that both adds and detracts from the game and in the same way. They add a lot of physics and therefore immersion but simultaneously make the player feel clumsy and out of control. It simply needs to be tuned and Rockstar seems well aware of that because they've improved Euphoria from GTA to Red Dead Redemption to Max Payne 3, and improved bike handling in both GTA 4 expansions.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mike Tysons CARFAX posted:

I agree, I didn't really find GTA4 driving satisfying until I went back to playing 3-era games and couldn't stand how arcadey (is this a word?) it all felt. I don't know if I'd say the driving in 4 felt "real" but at least it wasn't so ridiculous any more.

Yeah, same. Though I'm sure for me, part of that came from the fact that I've never played the III era games for an appreciable amount of time on versions where I could get analog control for acceleration and braking.

Regardless I found the driving for the sake of driving to be way more fun in IV, and all of the races way easier than any races in earlier games.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Dave Mustard posted:

The driving feels better simply because there's more in terms of physics happening :words:

You did a great job describing how much fun that engine was. Euphoria definitely has its advantages, and I get that the gta3 style has now been relegated to the realm of "retro gaming", but I'll always look back fondly on that arcadey feel. From the multiplayer Vice City stunt servers where we would ride in each other's vehicles with modified handling.cfg to the massive time I sunk into just riding motorcycles around San Andreas in the goon biker gang, I got a lot of joy doing completely unrealistic things in the 3-era engine. I don't find gta4 to be more of a realistic driving simulator, although it certainly could be with some tweaking, but it is different and rewarding in its own way.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Can anyone recommend a realyl good looking ENB/iCE config that works with ELS?

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.

Dave Mustard posted:

I got good at driving GTA 4 too but that doesn't make it 'fun' Rounding corners in muscle cars generally results in sliding across the street painfully and dinging some newspaper stand or hot dog vendor. It feels distinctly uncool and driving requires a tiring amount of caution at times. By that I mean, you have to use handbrake in concert with the real brake even for not fairly slow-moderate speed turns simply to keep from sliding across the road like giant metal hockey puck.

I kind of liked the big difference between driving a big muscle car and a little street racer, though I agree that the weight of the muscle cars felt like a little bit too much and needs to be toned down a little. I enjoyed that I had to drive the cars differently-- I could reliably skid around a corner with the handbrake in a little lightweight aluminum tin-can car, but if I were in a muscle car I'd have to take the turn with a bit more caution, braking prior to the turn and accelerating through it (and accounting for the swinging out of the back end depending on speed).

Everything you said about the bikes is spot on, and there is a noticeable improvement from GTA IV to TLAD.

I guess I just hope they find a better balance between "realism" and fun. Something that's just real enough to aid immersion while still allowing you to feel like a bad rear end once you've mastered the driving mechanics. That's something I think is important, though-- driving should be a skill that has to be learned. Driving different cars should feel very different, and part of learning to be a good driver should involve learning the limitations of each of the vehicles and how to get the most out of them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
While there was a difference between cars, all cars were way too floppy. Get in one of the super cars and the suspension feels like you're driving a boat. A nice luxury car should have a soft suspension, but a high end sports car should not. As long as they fix this, I think the driving will be nearly perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I still remember trying to turn my bike around in an alley in GTA IV and nearly killing myself when I was shot off of it and one of the wheels landed on my head while I was flopping around on the ground. You can debate all you like about the cars (but I thought they were pretty drat bad too, at least with PC controls) but the bikes were just terrible in vanilla.

• Locked thread