Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sparr
Jan 17, 2006

I made some things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle

Mazdrol posted:

My main interests are in rigging, and I've been wanting to rig some hideous monsters just like that. Could I ask you a huge favor and get one of your zbrush models from you and build a rig for it (preferrably the fat guy)?

I would totally credit you for the modeling, and also be in your debt forever...

Sorry for the extremely late reply. Big crunch at work. Making games is fun and all but sometimes the work hours are...insane. :)

ANYWAY, Mazdrol if your are still interested I'll gladly give you any of my models. That fat guy is...a nice challenge, I tried to rig and animate him myself. The low poly:

(yes tongue bones look like penis, much hilarity)

All that fat made it so loving hard to make him move. Those fat flabs would need their own bones probably. So I gave up pretty early.

Got dropbox? It's a pretty huge zbrush file if you want the highest subdivision.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

PAnick posted:

Sorry for the extremely late reply. Big crunch at work. Making games is fun and all but sometimes the work hours are...insane. :)

ANYWAY, Mazdrol if your are still interested I'll gladly give you any of my models. That fat guy is...a nice challenge, I tried to rig and animate him myself. The low poly:

(yes tongue bones look like penis, much hilarity)

All that fat made it so loving hard to make him move. Those fat flabs would need their own bones probably. So I gave up pretty early.

Got dropbox? It's a pretty huge zbrush file if you want the highest subdivision.

Use an animated jiggle or wrap deformer for all that fat. You could use bones too . . . or a sculpt deformer, soft mod, cluster animation etc.

Really cool character regardless.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Sparr posted:

I made some things!

Nice Coelacanth! You've done a good job hand-painting the texturing, it's nice. I think the unwrap could be a lot more efficient though. The body could be seperated in to head / body so you can get much more UV space out of it, and the fins are much smaller than they could be. Another thing you could do is actually lead the body polys in to the tail so you don't have that noticeable transition where it turns in to an alpha'd plane at the end.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

10iBYAeQZKiyLxs6VndQ
3nEL34Yic4ZduV8CxAeB
jUeN6aBWPLReNNIRuU7m
IMnLvGX4CifIAWpZnUXV
7lphNbQTWD6HhSosHxyn
F8G30pCoLrC7bKSmP1h8
96Y4ueQLmd3WGfoRmot4
bAM9Rcj2UtLXveZXwgKV
f2cs7xuW9nYitSZgUrjD
B2gnrGUNRPq3ig6Lx3V1

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 28, 2023

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.

I would seriously love to play some little downloadable game that was entirely done in this cutesy little kid crayon drawing style. Try some more maybe!

Sparr
Jan 17, 2006

concerned mom posted:

Nice Coelacanth! You've done a good job hand-painting the texturing, it's nice. I think the unwrap could be a lot more efficient though. The body could be seperated in to head / body so you can get much more UV space out of it, and the fins are much smaller than they could be. Another thing you could do is actually lead the body polys in to the tail so you don't have that noticeable transition where it turns in to an alpha'd plane at the end.

Yeah I had never UV'd anything before and that's what people kept telling me. I also would have extended the tail, but I didn't really know how I was going to make the tail look at first and didn't feel like changing the model by that point, or starting over.

And yeah, I'll be making more of the kids creatures. I had a post about it somewhere in this thread that has all the creatures if you guys want to jump in and make some with me. I tried painting a texture like my fish on the yellow guy but everything I tried looked stupid to me so I went with the original crayon.

Sparr
Jan 17, 2006

Huh, this is a pretty fun site.

http://p3d.in/anSGD/wireonxray+spin

Lowe9
Jul 31, 2005

Zero Gravitas posted:

That is really quite something.

Im ordering SW2012 student in the next couple of days and having seen this I'm wondering if I should shell out another £60 or so for Keyshot compared to just rendering with SW's own Photoworks plugin.

What will you be using SolidWorks for? Engineering type models or for industrial/ product designs? If you're just wanting to create quick visualizations of your parts and assemblies Photoview 360 will do the trick. If you're going to be modelling products, shell out the cash for Keyshot. Your renderings will thank you. Note that post processing in Photoshop is required regardless of the program to really have your renders "pop".

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Hi guys, I've started trying to learn Zbrush today with a few tutorials but I think my hand just went rogue and pressed something because the lighting's just changed on my mesh and I can't seem to work out how to fix it. I've closed and re-opned Zbrush, dragged a new material on, changed tool etc.

http://imgur.com/a/VEGj1

Thanks for any help.

Sparr
Jan 17, 2006

I think you may be in mask mode.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Thanks, how do I turn that off? Also I just bought in the tool again and even with Edit on I can seemingly only rotate, not draw on the mesh. Have I pressed something else. Agh:(

Whole Milk
Jan 30, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
https://vimeo.com/35399437

:staredog:

I just saw this and decided I'm going to learn Modo

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Ok I solved the problem. I was saving the document not the project so I was reloading the tool in 2.5d! It is my first day.. :(

I've been using the create a head from a cube video as help and inspiration.

Hopefully post an update later, I plan to spend all week on this.

E: minor update

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 23, 2012

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
We done a thing, check it out if you want - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M10zxZTx7VI&hd=1

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I've been using Maya for about a month, for approx 5 hours a day on weekdays. So far I've created a bunch of stuff, most of it mediocre. Here's the best stuff so far:

The face is what I'm working on right now, creating it from reference images and trying to adhere to proper topology.
I still don't know much about UV maps or creating textures so the car is just done with surfaces. I hear Mudbox has a PTEX painting system so that sounds very interesting. What do people use to create good UVs in Maya? I hear it's a real hassle.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

That's really cool, everything's really pretty and clean.

I've been doing destroyed Tokyo environments and props for the last few months on http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2103264/ it's architecture, but about as far from that kind of stuff as you can get

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Update: http://imgur.com/a/zP9Hi

Going to start on the hair now. This is going to be interesting :psyduck:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

EoinCannon posted:

it's architecture, but about as far from that kind of stuff as you can get

How much sculpting is involved in doing architecture/env work for films nowadays?
I'd still like to do some work on a film after i'm done at dbox. Got at least 2 years in NY first so it's a while off yet, but it's on the list of things I need to do at some point.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Are there any mobile 3D viewing apps out there?

Something where you could create a simple model with simple textures, and have it in a self contained viewer package? Like the way you could do a powerpoint and sort of export to a self contained file/viewer?

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni
Not sure if you guys have seen this, but I've been using it this last week for portfolio purposes and just showing off work for critiques and it's so cool.

Unfortunately the embed doesn't work on every site, but it does on sites like Zbrushcentral, and it lets everyone interactively turn the model around however they want, turn the wireframe on and off, start a turntable etc.

http://p3d.in/imw6x

Also, I've started a trip into trying to better my lackluster anatomy skills, so here is day one with a 2hr asymmetrical figure sculpt:

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Starting a tribute to Jim Murray's DOTA2 comic.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Wow, getting pretty jealous over here.

Here's my latest personal project, a Dalek. The eye hood is the first thing I have ever unwrapped (I literally just finished it, so no texture yet). Still needs some work but it turned out way better than I expected. I don't even know what I'm going to do with it when I'm done, I guess it's more an exercise than a project really.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 25, 2012

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Nice job unwrapping! It's really not that bad once you get used to it, and frankly I think it's going to get a whole lot easier in the coming years. It'll probably do it all for you soon.

Any Zbrush guys here that can help me out with Dynamesh? I've watched some videos and it looks awesome but my problem is it seems to be subdividing way too much for me. Like I make a cub that's 1,1,1 and put the dynamesh resolution all the way down to 8 or 16, click dynamesh and suddenly it's huge polycount. Is there any way to keep that down?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Scale it down! Turn on the floor plane so you've some idea of scale. Dynamesh uses internal units. I'm not sure what units you're using to measure, but it's likely that it's way too huge.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Scale it down? Sorry I've only started learning Zbrush this weekend!

E: Ahh Ok I'll have a look! Thanks :)

E2: Thanks that fixed it! Thankyou for the super speedy response.

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 25, 2012

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

ceebee posted:

Love this, your stuff is always so good!

This Zbrushing is really fun!

Here's an update:

Still very much a WIP but any crit is very welcome.

Here's what he'll end up looking like (with the new head)

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 25, 2012

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

ceebee posted:

Fanatastic!!

Finally finished my ecorche class. One of the hardest classes I have ever taken. Here are all the final projects. An army of anatomical sculptures.

Please excuse the time stamp.

Bonus celebrity busts by another student of the same teacher. Pretty sick IMO.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 26, 2012

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

sigma 6 posted:

Bonus celebrity busts by another student of the same teacher. Pretty sick IMO.

Christopher Reeve, Bruce Willis, then who? Michael J Fox?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Listerine posted:

Christopher Reeve, Bruce Willis, then who? Michael J Fox?

Two-pack of Tom Hanks and a Daniel Craig, methinks.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

neonnoodle posted:

Two-pack of Tom Hanks and a Daniel Craig, methinks.

Who's the third from the left though?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

schmuckfeatures posted:

Who's the third from the left though?

Michael J. Fox, yes.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Yup. The reason for the second Tom Hanks was because one was apparently autographed. The artist makes these for high end toys / figures etc. Really weird trivia: Apparently Biden owns a tiny little bust of himself from the same artist.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Love those little busts and your anatomy studies. I'd love to do an anatomy course here, I wish I could find one!

Here's an update, still working on the bum of the jeans but this is it so far: http://imgur.com/a/nqXwu

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
As most of you in school know, Autodesk offers all their software for free for three years.

Does everybody know that you can purchase a perpetual student license? Apparently you get a huge discount when you upgrade to a commercial license, but I haven't done that yet.

I picked up Maya, 3DS Max, SoftImage, Mudbox, MotionBuilder and Sketchbook Pro for about $400.00 last year when I was a student. If I'm not being clear, the license never expires, you just need to be a student when you purchase it.

The only licensing condition is that the software cannot be used commercially. There are no watermarks on anything, so I can build a proper portfolio.

I love Mudbox. If you can draw, Mudbox is so easy to use. I'm still torn between Maya and 3DS Max. I love Maya's cloth and particle effects and I also love 3DS Max' animation tools (CAT).

I guess the only catch is that you need one hell of a computer to run this software. I bought the software first and then specced and assembled the hardware.

I bought my copy from http://www.studica.com/ Yeah the site looks like rear end. Oh, hey look, the Autodesk 2013 Suite is out. Cool. What the hell? Only $250.00? Oh well. This is also the Canadian site, but there is an American one. I'm not sure about other countries though.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 27, 2012

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

gently caress, why do I only hear about these things four years after I graduated :(

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

tango alpha delta posted:

As most of you in school know, Autodesk offers all their software for free for three years.

Does everybody know that you can purchase a perpetual student license? Apparently you get a huge discount when you upgrade to a commercial license, but I haven't done that yet.

I picked up Maya, 3DS Max, SoftImage, Mudbox, MotionBuilder and Sketchbook Pro for about $400.00 last year when I was a student. If I'm not being clear, the license never expires, you just need to be a student when you purchase it.

The only licensing condition is that the software cannot be used commercially. There are no watermarks on anything, so I can build a proper portfolio.

I love Mudbox. If you can draw, Mudbox is so easy to use. I'm still torn between Maya and 3DS Max. I love Maya's cloth and particle effects and I also love 3DS Max' animation tools (CAT).

I guess the only catch is that you need one hell of a computer to run this software. I bought the software first and then specced and assembled the hardware.
So, is there anywhere to do this? Autodesk's site seems to be a runaround. I'm in the UK if that helps.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 27, 2012

Forti
May 5, 2009

Autodesk's site, especially the bit concerning students, is incredibly bad. I had to download my student copies of various things by changing the numbers in the URL around until I found the program I wanted.

Wish they'd done that sooner, I just graduated (well, in November) and could have done with a lifetimes worth of programs. At least I've got another two years or so of Maya to go :)

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Oh, forgot obligatory Mudbox sculpt:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

tango alpha delta posted:

I bought my copy from http://www.studica.com/ Yeah the site looks like rear end. Oh, hey look, the Autodesk 2013 Suite is out. Cool. What the hell? Only $250.00? Oh well. This is also the Canadian site, but there is an American one. I'm not sure about other countries though.

If you are curious about the licensing info, here it is.
In other words, Maya works out to about $75.00.

Only registered members can see post attachments!