Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

EightDeer posted:

BEATEN: And Yet It Moves. When people use the phrase "Generic indie platformer", they're talking about this. It's technically competent and artistically talented, but it's just incredibly boring to play.

That's a rather generous review of it. I thought it was aggressively bad. It's so boring you want to rush through the levels, but nope, you die with an annoying sound effect and back you go. You die a lot in the game too, from falling a distance an egg would survive. The music is perfect for adding that little extra grind to your gears too.

That said, it did get a little better in the last world. Less boring, anyway. It wasn't worth the slog to get there regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
BEAT: Rayman Origins.

ManxomeBromide posted:

Initial impressions of Rayman Origins: :pcgaming: :catdrugs: :pcgaming:

That never let up. I think they must have solved Montreal's drug problem by giving all the drugs to the art director. Straight through "whimsical" and right into "freakish".

As for the game, well: Michel Ancel has learned something! This plays like what I'd consider a properly modern platformer to play like - fast reset, no death penalty, frequent checkpoints, smoothly increasing difficulty curve.

The hardest parts near the end are harder than the hardest bits of VVVVVV, in my opinion, but it stays rigorously fair all the way through. At worst, the boss fights in the second half of the game have a bit of the LIMBO-y learn by dying in it; everything else is clean skill gates. I got the impression there was some mandatory scavenger hunt stuff going on, but just playing opportunistically let me get enough stuff that I was never brickwalled into backtracking. (This doesn't count The Land of the Livid Dead, which is pretty clearly marked as a bonus stage.)

BOUGHT: QUBE. I've adopted a new policy of pre-nulling anything that gets thrown at me as a free bonus. In this case, Critical Mass (from the Cube Pack) is something I didn't want and which is terrible anyway, so it doesn't go on the list at all. But there wasn't an individual discount on QUBE, and the price of the whole pack was what I was willing to pay for QUBE in the first place, so.

I'm thinking I might pick this up next, or finally get around to starting up Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just used Steam to Backloggery to update my list and it seems to miss some games. Games that I have purchased (or have had gifted) in the last couple of months. Is this a Steam API change maybe? Has anyone else noticed this?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Hi guys. I have way too many games in my steam backlog and a fresh new desktop computer to make a dent in them.

Beaten: Dear Esther. Dear Esther had some striking scenery I really loved the stuff in the caves and then the full moon when you finally make your way out of the cave. It's worth picking up when the summer sale comes along in my opinion.

Beaten: Bastion. I don't know why I didn't finish it when I first bought it. It worked well on my laptop, I just stopped partway through for some reason. Pretty much right before it gets really good. I stopped one area before Zulf damages the Bastion. From that point on I didn't wanna stop playing and kind of powered through to the end.

Up next: Amnesia and Orcs Must Die. I need something else to play when Amnesia becomes too much for me. I quit playing it on my laptop due to some technical difficulties and uh..being scared to hell earlier on. Really only got half an hour into it.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Beaten: Driver: San Francisco: Beat the final mission, got one car left to buy, a bunch of dares to do and movie challenges to find before I'll mark it as Completed. A great game really, lots of fun to drive around in and its pretty innovative with the ways it uses the shifting mechanic. The dialogue was occasionally funny. The plot was pretty :catdrugs: but its a racing game and I'll take D:SF's plot over the total lack or turd of a plot that are usually in racing games. It's got a New Game Plus option and I definitely see myself playing again in the future.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Let's do this.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Finally got through the single player campaign of Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty and I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed with the ending.

First of all, the last mission was an extremely easy survival mission. All I did was poo poo out a million marines, medics, and turrets and the game basically played itself. Plus they give you an Ultimate Death Weapon that works well as a last resort. Then the cutscene following it is like a minute long, has Raynor finding Kerrigan mysteriously human again and unharmed, and Tychus stupidly turning on them at the last minute. That's it, really Blizzard? You're far better at epic stuff than that.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP

quiggy posted:

Finally got through the single player campaign of Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty and I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed with the ending.

How long did it take you? I've got that near the top of my backlog.

Beat: CoD4. I guess I can see why people like it so much, and I kind of enjoyed the cheerfully stupid plot, but on the whole I found it an incredibly frustrating game. No doubt I'm not as good at shooters as I used to be, but the infinitely respawning enemies and instakill grenades pissed me off incredibly (especially coupled with the lack of quicksave/quickload). There were probably half a dozen points in the game where I just absolutely could not figure out for the longest time where the game wanted me to go in order to shut off the neverending stream of bad guys and I'd just keep dying over and over and over. I guess maybe if they just toned down the grenade damage it wouldn't have been nearly as frustrating. Anyway, glad I beat it, it had some memorable moments and the last couple of missions were definitely fun. Also this is the last game I ever bought on physical media -- although actually I bought it on SA-Mart -- so that's something I guess.

Currently playing: Braid, Lone Survivor (not sure if I'm going to bother finishing this one, 1.5 hours in and I'm not really into it), and Crusader Kings 2 (which isn't a game you can "beat" exactly, and I'm not always in the mood for it, but now and then I'll spend a couple hours with it and really enjoy it.)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Lamacq posted:

Not really sure because I've been playing it off and on for about six months now. There's around 20 missions total, most of which take 20 minutes tops. Depending on the difficulty/your ability, that time is variable for most missions. For reference for difficulty, I played on Normal and am ranked Gold on the ladder.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

quiggy posted:

Then the cutscene following it is like a minute long, has Raynor finding Kerrigan mysteriously human again and unharmed, and Tychus stupidly turning on them at the last minute. That's it, really Blizzard?

Dear god, I can't believe I'm going to defend Starcraft 2's plot, but here you go. The whole game is building towards that resolution. Raynor claims constantly that all he is doing is to save Kerrigan. Tychus is being paid by a consortium to grab all pieces of an artifact that would end the Zerg and, as the Deus Ex Machina that it was, Junior tells Raynor that it can also turn Kerrigan back to human. Guess what happens next? Raynor turns Kerrigan into a human and Tychus is forced to kill her by his superiors. Exactly what the story was building towards. While it's not a good story, it makes internal sense.

Lamacq posted:

While Steam doesn't track external games (wish it did), it took me about 30 hours to do every single mission including the five or so for the Protoss.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Another Non-Steam game down.

BEATEN: Syndicate - Not a very good single player campaign, the upgrades really didn't add to the experience, only needed that "black and white wireview mode" for boss battles and just stood around rampaging and soaking bullets.

Currently in the final 3rd of Quantum Conundrum, really impressed by it - having fun with it; then there's a recent gift... Bad Rats, why did I accept the Bad Rat challenge!

el aye
Apr 4, 2011
Does anyone else wish Steam let you put a check next to games you've completed?
edit: of course other people do, actually read some of the first replies :)

Now that school is done I think I will play ME1/2, amongst the hundreds of other games I still haven't played :mad:

Glad I'm not the only gamer with this steam buying problem.

el aye fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 25, 2012

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

My name is Gilgamesh and I'm a steamaholic.

I recently found out that my problem was focus. I had too many games I was trying to finish at once and so I ended up with dozens of half-finished games.

So I created a spreadsheet to manage them all https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At7JX740gEH4dHJSM0JEWGhiT0lxYXpYUHRSMGhOYXc
(I think I'm going to lower the 20 games to 15 games. That seems a more focused number)

So far it's working, I managed to finish two games over the weekend. Beat Ghostbusters: the Video Game on steam over the weekend, and finally pushed through and and Beat Antipole on Desura last night. I think I'm going to start pushing through Torchlight again since the Torchlight II release is imminent.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Gilgamesh posted:

My name is Gilgamesh and I'm a steamaholic.

I recently found out that my problem was focus. I had too many games I was trying to finish at once and so I ended up with dozens of half-finished games.

So I created a spreadsheet to manage them all https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At7JX740gEH4dHJSM0JEWGhiT0lxYXpYUHRSMGhOYXc
(I think I'm going to lower the 20 games to 15 games. That seems a more focused number)

This thread recommends using Backloggery to keep track of your games. You can copy and paste those game names in a short amount of time. I did it with about 400 games.

Also welcome to the group.

Also with 2 days away from the Steam Summer Sale...

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Quick question on the Steam app in this thread. If I bought some more games (shame on me, I know) and want to just add the changed ones, can I use the app or will it duplicate the previous entries as well?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lamacq posted:

My first playthrough of the SCII campaign was maybe 8 hours and I never touched it again

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Beat: FEAR: Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate. These still hold up today as having some of the best shooting in a video game. The slow motion mechanic is incredible, and even though it makes the game really easy, it's difficult to not feel satisfied after slaughtering a whole enemy platoon with dual pistols.

"Beat" Dirt 2. I think this game, along with Burnout Paradise, has made me a fan of racing games again. Dirt 2 really nails the arcade racer down. The cars all have a distinct enough feeling where the player doesn't get bored. It's also probably the best looking racing game I've played. The Baja track at night on a 40' 1080p TV actually made the people in my house do a double take while walking past the tv, because they thought I was watching an actual rally event live. The only thing I would add to this series is a larger track selection and the ability to customize your cars.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Well, setup my backloggery.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

Malek posted:

Quick question on the Steam app in this thread. If I bought some more games (shame on me, I know) and want to just add the changed ones, can I use the app or will it duplicate the previous entries as well?

The app will automatically exclude ones it's already added. As far as if you repost your wishlist.txt, yes it will duplicate it, as it just happened to me.

I think it's time to cancel my account and start over.

Gilgamesh fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 26, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gilgamesh posted:

The app will automatically exclude ones it's already added. As far as if you repost your wishlist.txt, yes it will duplicate it, as it just happened to me.

I think it's time to cancel my account and start over.

That shouldn't happen; it doesn't just exclude games it's already added, but any game it already sees on your Backloggery account. Duplication should only occur if the game has multiple names (eg, "Batman: Arkham Asylum" and "Batman Arkham Asylum").

It's possible something is wrong with the deduplication logic for wishlist items; can you explain in more detail what happened?

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

That shouldn't happen; it doesn't just exclude games it's already added, but any game it already sees on your Backloggery account. Duplication should only occur if the game has multiple names (eg, "Batman: Arkham Asylum" and "Batman Arkham Asylum").

It's possible something is wrong with the deduplication logic for wishlist items; can you explain in more detail what happened?

I did the script as regular, then the txt file came up. I was like "oh, I can just get rid of this crap and put in my own list." So I closed the text file in notepad, opened it up in notepad+ (for regular expression replacements), converted my spreadsheet to the input format, and pasted it.

I did not realize that in the background all the games were being added.

Then I ran the script again, pasted the list from notepad+ to the notepad window that opened up (assuming that any duplicates I put in the list would just be ignored), but they weren't. Now I have 2 of every steam game in my backlogger.

Edit: If I change the regular expression search in steam2backloggery.lua, will that immediately effect steam2backloggery.exe, or do I have to recompile it? Because I want to put "Good Old Games" in as a system, but since it has spaces, your script doesn't like it. I was going to change your script to use tabs instead.

Edit 2: I would love a script that would go through and delete all your games :)

Gilgamesh fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 26, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gilgamesh posted:

I did the script as regular, then the txt file came up. I was like "oh, I can just get rid of this crap and put in my own list." So I closed the text file in notepad, opened it up in notepad+ (for regular expression replacements), converted my spreadsheet to the input format, and pasted it.

I did not realize that in the background all the games were being added.

In my defence, the instructions at the top of the file do say that all of the listed games are going to be added, and if you don't want that to happen you should delete everything in the file before saving and exiting. I could probably make it more clear that that's going to happen as soon as you close the editor, though.

quote:

Then I ran the script again, pasted the list from notepad+ to the notepad window that opened up (assuming that any duplicates I put in the list would just be ignored), but they weren't. Now I have 2 of every steam game in my backlogger.

That should definitely not be happening. Backloggery has probably changed their site format again and broken the duplicate detector. :suicide:

(Yes, steam2backloggery works by scraping both the Steam Community and Backloggery websites, because neither exposes an API I can use. gently caress them both in the eye.)

quote:

Edit: If I change the regular expression search in steam2backloggery.lua, will that immediately effect steam2backloggery.exe, or do I have to recompile it? Because I want to put "Good Old Games" in as a system, but since it has spaces, your script doesn't like it. I was going to change your script to use tabs instead.

You will have to recompile it using Enceladus (or run steam2backloggery.lua directly with lua.exe, if you have it). If you have a hex editor you could easily edit steam2backloggery.exe in-place, though, just keep everything the same length. I can (and probably will) change this in the next build so that the .exe just contains a simple embedded main and the rest of the program is loaded from the .lua files.

That said, the system is a backloggery platform ID - you can't type in anything you want, and "Good Old Games" would be skipped as unrecognized anyways. Use "GOG" instead.

quote:

Edit 2: I would love a script that would go through and delete all your games :)

That shouldn't be too hard. Give me a bit.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

That said, the system is a backloggery platform ID - you can't type in anything you want, and "Good Old Games" would be skipped as unrecognized anyways. Use "GOG" instead.

That shouldn't be too hard. Give me a bit.

Oh that's great, I'll just use "GOG"

And awesome on the deleting script, I hope it's not too difficult. I couldn't find a delete GET string right off the bat (I was thinking of doing my own script in PHP).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gilgamesh posted:

Oh that's great, I'll just use "GOG"

And awesome on the deleting script, I hope it's not too difficult. I couldn't find a delete GET string right off the bat (I was thinking of doing my own script in PHP).

That I can tell you right off, because there's already support for it in libbl.lua:

code:
function bl:deletegame(game)
    assert(type(game) == "number", 'invalid argument to bl:deletegame')

local fields = {
        user = self.user;
        delete2 = "Stealth Delete";
    }

self._games[game] = nil

return request(self, fields, "POST", "http://backloggery.com/update.php?user=%s&gameid=%d" % { self.user, game })
end
So, you need to POST /update.php?user=<userid>&gameid=<gameid>, and the POST body needs to contain the listed fields (user and delete2). You also need the apropriate referer and cookie.

Yes, it's kind of messy.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

Yeah, I think I'll leave it up to you, or wait until the admins get back to me about clearing my account :)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gilgamesh posted:

Yeah, I think I'll leave it up to you, or wait until the admins get back to me about clearing my account :)

Ok, I've uploaded a new version. bin/clearbackloggery.exe should wipe your entire backloggery account. It's not really tested, so let me know how it goes.

I've also changed the build system; the .exes are now just stubs and the actual code is loaded from from the .lua files in bin/.

Making these changes have reminded me that I really need to reorganize this project, both the structure on disk and the actual code.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

Ok, I've uploaded a new version. bin/clearbackloggery.exe should wipe your entire backloggery account. It's not really tested, so let me know how it goes.

I've also changed the build system; the .exes are now just stubs and the actual code is loaded from from the .lua files in bin/.

Making these changes have reminded me that I really need to reorganize this project, both the structure on disk and the actual code.

So far so good! It's got a long way to do, but it deleted all the "As" successfully.

Edit: I would just suggest a little intro at the start of the script warning people what it does and asking them to confirm. Could be disastrous for someone who doesn't know what it does.

Edit 2: Completely cleared!

Gilgamesh fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 26, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

That is a very good idea. Adding that now. E: and done.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 26, 2012

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

That is a very good idea. Adding that now. E: and done.

Almost there :) For some reason it doesn't recognize "GamersGate" as a system type (I even looked at the source of the input page and tried "GGate"). Any ideas?

Gilgamesh fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 26, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gilgamesh posted:

Almost there :) For some reason it doesn't recognize "GamersGate" as a system type (I even looked at the source of the input page and tried "GGate"). Any ideas?

Edit: Ah I think I found the config section that has those

The list is in libbl.lua and yeah, it looks like they've added more since I generated it - they didn't support GamersGate when I was last working on this. I should probably just autogenerate it on login.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

The list is in libbl.lua and yeah, it looks like they've added more since I generated it - they didn't support GamersGate when I was last working on this. I should probably just autogenerate it on login.

You've definitely done a great job and I thank you greatly for it. I'm trying to use your script in an unintended way so I've only myself to blame :)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

loving way. Finally mastered Bastion, 100% all of it including the crazier challenges and all of score mode. If it wasn't this lovely of a game I wouldn't have bothered, but instead I had a load of fun doing it. If you have it sitting around on your backlog waiting for the day that will never come, get it and get to it fast.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

Finally got Backlogger all imported. Here's my badge:

The reason unfinished is so high is because there are a lot of games that I was done with (as in, I never want to play them again), but I didn't "beat" them. What do you guys do in this situation? Null?

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Gilgamesh posted:

The reason unfinished is so high is because there are a lot of games that I was done with (as in, I never want to play them again), but I didn't "beat" them. What do you guys do in this situation? Null?

I just mark them as Beaten.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gilgamesh posted:

Finally got Backlogger all imported. Here's my badge:

I null them, yeah. Backloggery doesn't really provide a way to distinguish between "not finishing because it can't be completed" and "not finishing because I don't want to play it anymore", but I figure neither should count against completion and Null is the category for that.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
COMPLETED: Q.U.B.E. Not really worth it - I alternated between "this is easy" and "this is tedious and stupid" with maybe only one or two puzzles that actually had me well-engaged in the whole game. Also, certain puzzles would have a physics in ways that would break them beyond the ability of the "reset puzzle" button to fix - while other puzzles seemed to require forcing the game to have a physics in the same way to solve them.

The backlog will be taking a bit of a vacation since there's been a gigantic update to Crusader Kings II.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
I'm considering Braid beaten. I suck at platformers and the last level with the wall of fire always kills me at the very last tricky part, where you have to jump up and flip a switch then drop down and get through a tunnel that has a couple goombas in it. I ragequit after spending about 20 minutes trying to get through that little bit, and just watched the ending on youtube. Really frustrating to me that he tacked that bullshit hard timed platforming bit onto the end of what was a totally chill game up until that point. There's basically like one 5-second sequence keeping me from completing the game, and it's something that doesn't fit with the rest of the game at all. If I wanted to play a difficult platformer, I wouldn't be playing loving Braid. :argh:

fake edit: game took me 8 hours, because I'm dumb and spent too long on the last level before giving up. I looked up solutions to 3 of the puzzles.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Hi. My name is Dodoman and I have finally accepted the fact that I am addicted to Steam. To overcome this I have a created a backloggery account which you can visit here. Please add me my fellow brothers and sisters if you see an invite from a person named Dodoman. I need all the strength I can receive before the great summer slaughter begins.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hey ToxicFrog I don't know if you saw my post from earlier about some games not being added to Backloggery. Has there been an API change on Steam's end or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magicaldinosaur
Jun 29, 2012

by angerbot
Hello, I am a magical dinosaur and I am a steam addict. Not in the way you think though, for I typically don't have enough money when they have their splendid sales, but I more often than not buy items for TF2! I even bought a game today called Analogue: A Hate Story, because it was on sale! Even worse! I bought the soundtrack to the game too and it's nowhere in sight! Can you believe this insanity? Why do I do this to myself. :(