Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Decius posted:

The part about the MBPR only doing 20 fps while drawing the desktop in the Anandtech-review and all the talk about everything being rendered badly outside of a few (surely, growing, but the internet in general will take longer) Apps has me a bit worried.
Programs that don't support high DPI rendering doesn't actively look worse than on a non-retina display, if that's what you're worried about. The ugliness is just due to the contrast with the much better looking high-res stuff.

Bob Morales posted:

Don't forget that a lot of memory is used for caching, and if you quit an app it won't 'free' the memory until another app needs it. Your 'free' memory is really something like 'free' + inactive'. You're wasting the memory by not using it, so the more RAM you give OS X the more it will use. It's not Windows where if you give your computer 8GB it won't ever touch it.
Windows does the same sort of thing. Most of the complaints about Vista's memory usage were because they made it much better at usefully using all of the memory available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
I picked up the 4GB Air and so far it's been fine, surprisingly enough 4v4 SC2 was bearable on medium. Even had chrome open in the background with 20 tabs or so without issue.

So far I'm happy and saved 100 bucks :) The only issue is the glare when I'm outside but that's neither here nor there. (not that I plan to be using it outside too much)

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

How can I make this as complicated as possible?
I ordered an AirPort Express with the Air that I just bought because I would lose my ability to use ethernet. I thought the AirPort Express could handle a 100Mb internet connection(I don't know anything about routers really, and I figured I just needed one with 802.11n), but it seems as if its not able to(It seems to max out at about 55Mb/s). Should it be able to handle a 100Mb connection?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Galg posted:

I ordered an AirPort Express with the Air that I just bought because I would lose my ability to use ethernet. I thought the AirPort Express could handle a 100Mb internet connection(I don't know anything about routers really, and I figured I just needed one with 802.11n), but it seems as if its not able to(It seems to max out at about 55Mb/s). Should it be able to handle a 100Mb connection?

To macs it should be able to handle easily 100 Mb+. I get 450 Mbps from my airport extreme to my Mac Mini. It seems iOS devices only peak at around 60 Mbps.

Just checked and I'm at this much right now from my Extreme:

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 24, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Express not Extreme. And it wouldn't surprise me if the less expensive guts in the Express can't handle a 100 Mbps Internet connection.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Express not Extreme. And it wouldn't surprise me if the less expensive guts in the Express can't handle a 100 Mbps Internet connection.

I guess you're right, I just read the following:

quote:

The new router still supports dual-stream 802.11n wireless networking, meaning the router can broadcast signal in two spatial streams on each of its two frequency bands. Each stream of the Wireless-N standard can handle a bandwidth of 150Mbps, making the AirPort Express effectively an N600 router (one that offers up to 300Mbps on each band). There's no support for the latest 802.11ac, and also no support for the three-stream, 450Mbps 802.11n, available in N900 routers.

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

Mine is pretty much the same except the link speed says 300Mbit. But both speed tests and downloads from usenet have me pegged at 55-57Mb/s. Looks like I'll have to be returning this.

Too bad because I wanted to use airfoil so I wouldn't have to plug my speakers into my MacBook.

Edit: I see they have a refurbished Airport Extreme in stock, I don't suppose anyone has any experience with those with a connection like this?

Galg fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 24, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FlashBangBob posted:

I guess you're right, I just read the following:
You're not following. Radios don't matter; if you don't have the horsepower to drive a fast WAN connection then it doesn't matter how many radios or simultaneous streams you support.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 24, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Galg posted:

Edit: I see they have a refurbished Airport Extreme in stock, I don't suppose anyone has any experience with those with a connection like this?
According to Small Net Builder's review, you should have no problem with the Extreme and a 100 Mbps Internet connection.

Apple's refurbs are as good as new, with the same warranty. I have an extra AEBS 5th-gen that I bought off of SA-Mart about 2 months ago and never got put into its intended role. We could work out a deal if you're interested.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
If I had a express to my extreme network, does that mean I run the risk of slowing down connections of people who happen to connect to the express instead of the extreme?

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

According to Small Net Builder's review, you should have no problem with the Extreme and a 100 Mbps Internet connection.

I have an extra AEBS 5th-gen that I bought off of SA-Mart about 2 months ago and never got put into its intended role. We could work out a deal if you're interested.

Thanks for the info, sounds like this will work great, and being able to hook up a USB HD to it will be nice.

Unfortunately, I impulse bought that refurb pretty much right after I made the edit or I would try to take that one you have off your hands.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

You're not following. Radios don't matter; if you don't have the horsepower to drive a fast WAN connection then it doesn't matter how many radios or simultaneous streams you support.

IIRC, it also doesn't support Gig-E, even though it does have an ethernet port.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Space Racist posted:

IIRC, it also doesn't support Gig-E, even though it does have an ethernet port.
That's correct. Like the Apple TV, it only support 10/100.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Galg posted:

Sure your connection itself is doing 100Mb? Here's a review of the new one:
http://abottlerocket.net/post/25269966795/benchmark-new-airport-express-vs-airport-extreme

Looks like it can max out the 100Mb limit fine if you're near enough, maybe that's what's limiting your performance.

MrEnigma posted:

If I had a express to my extreme network, does that mean I run the risk of slowing down connections of people who happen to connect to the express instead of the extreme?
I think it'd depend on how everything is connected and where from/to they'd be doing transfers.

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

japtor posted:

Sure your connection itself is doing 100Mb? Here's a review of the new one:
http://abottlerocket.net/post/25269966795/benchmark-new-airport-express-vs-airport-extreme

Looks like it can max out the 100Mb limit fine if you're near enough, maybe that's what's limiting your performance.

I think it'd depend on how everything is connected and where from/to they'd be doing transfers.

I had it on my desk probably about 12" from the Air. I just couldn't get it to go above about 55Mb/s, I have a Belkin N450 which could get up to 9MB/s but was totally unstable and speeds kept jumping all over the place. The express was pretty stable, but didn't ever go above about 6.5-7MB/s. I guess I'll see if the Airport extreme works well otherwise I'm probably going to get a ethernet dongle(ugh).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple probably wants to knee the iFixit CEO in the groin after publishing their little MBP/TNG take apart, because they don't want anybody touching the battery during any servicing, and they used a metal ruler to try to dislodge it right off the bat.

Also, not just the battery is integrated; so are the trackpad and keyboard. If you want to replace any of the aforementioned parts on the RD/MBP, you have to get a whole new top case assembly, none of them are available as separate parts.

Edit: and you have to literally take the whole machine apart to get to the top case..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jun 24, 2012

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Galg posted:

Mine is pretty much the same except the link speed says 300Mbit. But both speed tests and downloads from usenet have me pegged at 55-57Mb/s. Looks like I'll have to be returning this.

Megabits != Megabytes:

300 megabits = 37.5 megabytes
57 megabytes = 456 megabits

Ethernet/Wifi links and Internet connections are usually measured in megabits, but file transfers are usually measured in megabytes. Are you sure you're comparing apples to apples?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Binary Badger posted:

Apple probably wants to knee the iFixit CEO in the groin after publishing their little MBP/TNG take apart, because they don't want anybody touching the battery during any servicing, and they used a metal ruler to try to dislodge it right off the bat.

Also, not just the battery is integrated; so are the trackpad and keyboard. If you want to replace any of the aforementioned parts on the RD/MBP, you have to get a whole new top case assembly, none of them are available as separate parts.

Edit: and you have to literally take the whole machine apart to get to the top case..

I don't think Apple really cares if someone breaks/takes apart their computers as long as they don't expect to get warranty service for them.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

So is there any way to use a Mac mini as a slave machine? It'd be really cool if my MBA could connect via Thunderbolt to a mini and use the mini's ports as its own. Ideally you'd even be able to use the mini's computing resources to run stuff on the MBA, though I'm not sure computers work exactly like that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

So is there any way to use a Mac mini as a slave machine? It'd be really cool if my MBA could connect via Thunderbolt to a mini and use the mini's ports as its own. Ideally you'd even be able to use the mini's computing resources to run stuff on the MBA, though I'm not sure computers work exactly like that.

Short of Xgrid (does anything even use that?), no.

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

chimz posted:

Megabits != Megabytes:

300 megabits = 37.5 megabytes
57 megabytes = 456 megabits

Ethernet/Wifi links and Internet connections are usually measured in megabits, but file transfers are usually measured in megabytes. Are you sure you're comparing apples to apples?

I understand this, my reply was to the image that FlashBangBob posted of his Network Utility.

My internet connection is 100 Mb/s down( or ~12.5MB/s but there is overhead and such I know), through the AirPort express my speed degrades to around 55 Mb/s(6.8MB/s). Either the Express I got is wonky or it cant handle a 100Mbit/s internet connection.

Galg fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 24, 2012

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Or your connection isn't actually delivering 100 Mb/s. What do you get if you plug straight into whatever box your internet comes from?

N
Oct 4, 2006
This space is for rent - $9.95/month no questions asked.

Galg posted:

I understand this, my reply was to the image that FlashBangBob posted of his Network Utility.

My internet connection is 100 Mb/s down( or ~12.5MB/s but there is overhead and such I know), through the AirPort express my speed degrades to around 55 Mb/s(6.8MB/s). Either the Express I got is wonky or it cant handle a 100Mbit/s internet connection.

Try getting a replacement at the Apple store, and test it on the spot there to see if there is a noticeable difference between your old unit and a new one.

Galg
Jun 5, 2004

withak posted:

Or your connection isn't actually delivering 100 Mb/s. What do you get if you plug straight into whatever box your internet comes from?
Speed test with modem connected to old MacBook Pro:

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I'd like to just say that I am very jealous of your 100 Mb/s connection.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

empty baggie posted:

If you think the UK plug is weird, the full travel adapter kit will blow your mind.

Speaking of this, I have a question. I bought this adapter kit several years ago since I do like to travel, and it has served me well. But I think I have a problem.

I'm going to be living in India for a little over a month soon, and I haven't been able to find any definitive information on what sort of power outlets they use over there. Some sites say one thing, and some say another. Unfortunately, the world travel adapter kit manual doesn't help out either - India isn't even listed.

So what's the deal, folks? Which one of these do I need to bring with me?

From left to right, here's what the guide lists for each of these plugs:

1. Flat Angled Blades - Australia, New Zealand
2. Round Thick Pins - Korea
3. Round Thin Pins - Continental Europe
4. Three-Prong Blades - UK, Hong Kong, Singapore
5. Flat Parallel Blades Without Holes - China
6. Flat Parallel Blades Wth Holes - North America, Japan

Accipiter fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 24, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Galg posted:

I had it on my desk probably about 12" from the Air. I just couldn't get it to go above about 55Mb/s, I have a Belkin N450 which could get up to 9MB/s but was totally unstable and speeds kept jumping all over the place. The express was pretty stable, but didn't ever go above about 6.5-7MB/s. I guess I'll see if the Airport extreme works well otherwise I'm probably going to get a ethernet dongle(ugh).
In case you haven't returned it yet, what are all the settings? Not that I can remember which ones are important and can limit speed...or which ones are even exposed in the newer configuration app.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I've finally decided to retire my mid-2009 13'' Pro and get the new Air but I can't decide between the 128GB and 256GB SSD.

This is what I've got:

Pros - It's double the storage
Cons - IT'S loving 300€ EXTRA!

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I've finally decided to retire my mid-2009 13'' Pro and get the new Air but I can't decide between the 128GB and 256GB SSD.

This is what I've got:

Pros - It's double the storage
Cons - IT'S loving 300€ EXTRA!

Added a 128GB m4 to my MBP. Right now I have ~25GB free with the full OS + Dev tools + Vmware fusion 30GB + Games(Steam/Diablo3/World of Warcraft).

The only thing stored on my hard drive is some movies/itunes folder and some encrypted sparse bundles for work data. If push came to shove it would be easy to use just the 128GB and take a 32/64GB usb 3.0 stick/drive for the nice to have's.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I was about to say you could share the Mini's disc drive for use with your Air, but if the Mini has a TB port then it doesn't have a disc drive. :downs:

FlashBangBob posted:

I'd like to just say that I am very jealous of your 100 Mb/s connection.

I was thinking the same thing. :v:

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Viktor posted:

Added a 128GB m4 to my MBP. Right now I have ~25GB free with the full OS + Dev tools + Vmware fusion 30GB + Games(Steam/Diablo3/World of Warcraft).

The only thing stored on my hard drive is some movies/itunes folder and some encrypted sparse bundles for work data. If push came to shove it would be easy to use just the 128GB and take a 32/64GB usb 3.0 stick/drive for the nice to have's.

OK I don't run VMWare nor any dev tools and neither do I play WoW/D3 so I should be okay even with my 60ish gigs of music.

poo poo's gonna be tight!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wish the SD card reader was flush on the 13" Air. Could have been a convenient way to add more storage.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Just snip it in half.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Accipiter posted:

Speaking of this, I have a question. I bought this adapter kit several years ago since I do like to travel, and it has served me well. But I think I have a problem.

I'm going to be living in India for a little over a month soon, and I haven't been able to find any definitive information on what sort of power outlets they use over there. Some sites say one thing, and some say another. Unfortunately, the world travel adapter kit manual doesn't help out either - India isn't even listed.

Number three should be the right one, but they also use a grounded type that isn't in the travel kit. I'm not sure if they're compatible.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Apple's refurbs are as good as new, with the same warranty. I have an extra AEBS 5th-gen that I bought off of SA-Mart about 2 months ago and never got put into its intended role. We could work out a deal if you're interested.

I'll be interested. It's probably a good time to retire my half a decade old WRT54GL :v: sent you a pm.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Accipiter posted:

Depends where in India you're going. And even then, it depends on the place you're staying in. It's not super-standardized.

The hotel I was in in Mumbai had sockets that were built to accept either 6 or 3. But whenever I tried to use 3, the plug would get stuck. When I used 6, the plug would fall out pretty easily. It looked like the sockets maybe could've accepted 1, but I never got that to work.

When I looked around local shops to see what they were using... I didn't really see much agreement. So maybe both 6 and 3 to be safe?

x-virge fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 24, 2012

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Hm - thinking about returning the refurbished Sandy Bridge 15" MBP and getting a 13" Ivy Air with 8GB/256GB. The screen on the 15" is anti-glare, and it's wonderful, but the machine isn't really portable, and I like to have something to throw in my backpack. The machine is really only used for browsing, listening to music, C/C++, and some Java work. I wonder if the Air's LCD is really that much worse than the AG 15"...

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
So I finally made the plunge and ordered a 2.3 rMBP with 16gb RAM to replace my 2007 2.2 C2D MBP. I was pretty excited since I'd read all kinds of positive reviews, but then I got to this part in Anandtech's review. loving seriously? The latest greatest computer from Apple can't scroll down webpages without pegging the CPU and sputtering? How in the hell is it getting such a positive review when it can't even do something my phone, cheap netbook, and even the Retina iPad can do just fine? Is the rMBP even worth it if the hardware isn't where it needs to be to drive the display? It sounds incredibly halfassed and is making me seriously reconsider my purchase.

Bryne
Feb 13, 2008

The Treachery of Forums
By all accounts, Safari performance is much better under Mountain Lion, which should be out in a month.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. There are tangible cons to being an early adopter of technology and if you aren't interested in dealing with them, the 15" regular MBP sounds like it's right up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Bryne posted:

By all accounts, Safari performance is much better under Mountain Lion, which should be out in a month.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. There are tangible cons to being an early adopter of technology and if you aren't interested in dealing with them, the 15" regular MBP sounds like it's right up your alley.

I was seriously considering it, but the premium to upgrade beyond the lovely standard 1440x900 display (seriously, Apple?) already puts in a range where I should be considering the rMBP. I'll have to think about it.