Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://sites.google.com/site/destinationsaturn/home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Mind Spew posted:

knowing that adams' wife supported it makes the whole feel thing feel a little less lovely imo

Imagine bags of money makes the pain go away

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

time to watch this again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZG8HBuDjgc

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Holy crap, I didn't think I'd ever see that again. It rivals The Eye of Argon in terribleness.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

oh i get it caprica is supposed to be eden and the red dress cylon is temptation and baltar is adam and adama is moses leading the jews through the desert man this poo poo gets biblical from the start!!!

welp.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

oh i get it caprica is supposed to be eden and the red dress cylon is temptation and baltar is adam and adama is moses leading the jews through the desert man this poo poo gets biblical from the start!!!

welp.

did you finish it yet

because the ending is really bad

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

no but I know the ending

the ends are bad.jpg

toby
Dec 4, 2002

yep have to say i got pretty mad at that ending

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the ending could have been better but when you step outside of the internet jewel/poo poo dichotomy you realize it was still a drat good show overall

also good on you for realizing from the start that the show will have a religious/spiritual theme rather than angrily posting in the middle of a later season how you've just been betrayed by the fact that not every character is a militant atheist like yourself

the original bsg was a thinly veiled pastiche of mormon mythology, this one is better than that but it's not star trek

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 23, 2012

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

toby posted:

tha... thats what she said

toby
Dec 4, 2002

:ughh:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

thats the face she mad, too

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

toby posted:

people told me to expect it to be bad but it was worse than i could possibly imagine

i got really angry

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

i bailed on it before the end. time to check and see what happened. brb.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

lord funk posted:

i bailed on it before the end. time to check and see what happened. brb.

You're in for a treat.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

welp that explains things

:wtc:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

raruler posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon's_Egg and it's sequel might appeal to you

thanks radium 2.0 :argh

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

gooby on rails posted:

the ending could have been better but when you step outside of the internet jewel/poo poo dichotomy you realize it was still a drat good show overall

also good on you for realizing from the start that the show will have a religious/spiritual theme rather than angrily posting in the middle of a later season how you've just been betrayed by the fact that not every character is a militant atheist like yourself

the original bsg was a thinly veiled pastiche of mormon mythology, this one is better than that but it's not star trek

don't Mormons or someone literally believe that the Japanese are the lost tribe of humanity because Japanese sounds kinda like Hebrew (lol)

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

don't Mormons or someone literally believe that the Japanese are the lost tribe of humanity because Japanese sounds kinda like Hebrew (lol)

No, Mormons believe that the native inhabitants of the Americas are the decendents of a 13th Tribe of Israel that sailed across the ocean in ancient times. Jesus visited the tribe at one point but later there was a large rebellion by people who rejected Jesus's teachings. Near the end, a soldier named Moroni buried golden plates that contained the lost teachings of Jesus in the New World and he was eventually slain with the last of the righteous. After winning the war, God cursed the victors by turning their skins red which is where Native Americans come from. Moroni became an angel after dying and became the protector of the golden plate, eventually revealing himself to Joseph Smith and telling him where to find the plates.

The Japanese lost tribe theory is an newer one from the late 19th century, it supposes that there are uncanny parallels between the Bible and Japanese myths, but that could only be a similarity in most myths. Here are some links.

http://pinktentacle.com/2010/04/is-the-legendary-lost-ark-buried-in-japan/

http://www.biblemysteries.com/library/tribesjapan.htm

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
sci fi postin
watched district 9 for the first time (fokken nigerians)
watched the rest of black mirror
watched the first season of tng

all really nice and thoroughly enjoyable thank you yospos yall have good taste

gonna watch jurassic park next which i've somehow avoided for all these years

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

AtomD posted:

gonna watch jurassic park next which i've somehow avoided for all these years

it's a unix system! i know this!

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

What are some good sci fi movies to watch? Ones that most sci fi likers maybe haven't heard about or already seen. Thank you for your consideration yospos.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

moon was neat. the atmosphere is a good change of pace from like everything else

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

that awful man posted:

it's a unix system! i know this!

IT IS!

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Resplendent Spiral posted:

moon was neat. the atmosphere is a good change of pace from like everything else
yeah I've watched moon. It was pretty cool and unexpected.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Mind Spew posted:

knowing that herbert's son supported it makes the whole feel thing feel a little less lovely imo

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

they also think that black people are black because they were cursed for rebelling against god

thats literally in the book of mormon

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Watched 'Iron Sky' tonight, after the mediocre reviews I'd seen I thought it would be terrible, but it wasn't half-bad. FX were pretty good for the shoestring budget, and everyone can hate on nazis with no bad feelings.

I feel really bad for finding the nazi schoolteacher in her flight cap absolutley adorable; I don't think you're allowed to dig 'that side's vintage stuff :o:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

fascists have good style, everyone knows that

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Boss

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Vivec posted:

What are some good sci fi movies to watch? Ones that most sci fi likers maybe haven't heard about or already seen. Thank you for your consideration yospos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wv4eXEQlN4

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jack Vance fans; found this while looking for a quote:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0s4DiakfSjEC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

have ordered the book; seems like a good essay.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Vivec posted:

responding to a vivec post :regd09:

Hardware - 90s UK cyberpunk about a mean robot who ends up as a part of a sculpture.

Brainsongs - Christopher Walken records brains

Tarkovski - Stalker, Solaris. So pretty, so slow :allears:

Original UK 1980s Day of the Triffids.

Freaks - not exactly sci-fi but it's about circus freaks and it's awesome

not obscure but every drat sci-fi movie by David Cronenberg: Scanners, Rabid, Videodrome (Debbie Harry :swoon:), The Fly, Dead Zone etc etc.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

Freaks - not exactly sci-fi but it's about circus freaks and it's awesome

one of us, gooble gobble

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUX9ja5ZY6M

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:

axolotl farmer posted:

responding to a vivec post :regd09:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u30PEQCV4Sw

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
vivec owns

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

axolotl farmer posted:

Tarkovski - Stalker, Solaris. So pretty, so slow :allears:

I prefer clooney's solaris tbh, stalker is a masterpiece, read geoff dyer's zona if you agree

can't remember if it was kid lit or not but I remember one of the best fantasy series I ever read was The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Kavriel Kay

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

ahh spiders with a contrarian opinion, what a new and shocking development in the 'pos. lemme just put him in his place with this long winded post.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

law abiding rapist posted:

ahh spiders with a contrarian opinion, what a new and shocking development in the 'pos. lemme just put him in his place with this long winded post.

ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

Fart

• Locked thread